Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:30   #1
Dogman 10x

Removing base pads

I cannot get the base pads off of my New GLOCK 17 mags.... What the hell is the secret!??
Dogman 10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44   #2
SJ 40

This method works for me. http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=570
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45   #3
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

You must lever them so hard you will swear you will break them! Don't worry, you won't.

Push your armorer's tool or 3/32 punch as far into the baseplate hole as it can go, pushing aside the inner plate. Then lever the tool HARD to force the plate toward the front of the mag. You may feel the tool levering against the spring; no problem. Some like to compress the bottom sides of the mag at those side tabs, but this is not truly necessary.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48   #4
ede
Bama's Friend

It's simple to do, after you figure it out. Like has been said use take down tool as a lever and they come right off. Insert the take down tool and angle it and you can feel it "catch" and it'll lever the base plate off. No need for special tools or additional tools to do it.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28   #5
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

DO NOT USE THE GLOCK TAKEDOWN TOOL AS A LEVER.

(You'll gouge the Hell out of your insert plate and elongate the base pad's center hole if you do.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39   #6
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
You must lever them so hard you will swear you will break them! Don't worry, you won't.
I think "won't" should start to be "shouldn't" because I ACTUALLY BROKE ONE! I'm sure this is the infinitesimal minority, but a while back I was taking the floorplates off as is directed in so many places and found 1 of the inserts cracked in half!

It's never happened again and thankfully I was putting extensions on that came with their own inserts so I just kept one of the removed inserts for a spare. But it CAN happen.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:27   #7
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

(You'll gouge the Hell out of your insert plate and elongate the base pad's center hole if you do.)
This bears repeating.

If you have to use a tool to remove the base plate, give the GTUL a try. Makes the task much easier.
Old 01-12-2013, 14:34   #8
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

The Glock tool works great to push the inner plate up out of the way, but yeah, don't use it to press off the base. I carry a 3/32" nail set for that. The taper allows it to be inserted for maximum bearing surface.

These things can be a real ***** the first few times they're taken apart. It helps a lot to set a clamp on the tube, just above the little tabs that engage the baseplate. They need to be squeezed in to clear the corresponding notches.

If you have a set of mags you use for matches or range, it's a good idea to cycle the baseplates a few times in the convenience of your shop. Make sure you can break them all down easily with whatever tools you carry in your bag. Match day is not the time to discover you can't open a mag that needs to be cleaned out.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:57   #9
Frank V

There was a pretty good video about disassembling the Glock magazine on page 3, 5th thread from bottom.
Wish I were computer litterate enough to bring it up for you. I watched it several times. It's a good video, well done, & very clear to watch.
Hope this helps.
Frank
Old 01-12-2013, 15:05   #10
Dogman 10x

When I try I always stretch out or elongate the floor plate pin hole...
Dogman 10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

There's some good thinking and technique in the last several posts. What I do is to use, 'shock' or, 'impact' in order to get the base plates to release.

After I raise the insert plate up and out of the way, I compress the bottom of the magazine walls against the edge of a table. This relieves the pressure of the internal, 'ears' that normally holds the base plate firmly in place. With the internal insert plate raised, and the ears compressed inward from their corresponding indents in the base plate, I'll insert the shaft of a 3/32's punch (armorer's tool) into the hole in the center of a base plate, and keep intermittently yanking it forward until the frozen base plate finally lets go.

It doesn't take that many, 'yanks' before, even a brand new, base plate starts to move off the magazine body. Once it starts to move, you're, 'home free'; and after the base plate comes off for the first time it only gets easier to do, thereafter. (Yes, I do have MINIMAL hole elongation on my base plates; but my insert plates, themselves, are mostly unmarked.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote