Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 21:47   #1
MrCubbie

Need Help Deciding between .22LR Uppers

I have finished building my daughters PSA lower complete with pink MOE furniture. I have decided on completing the build with a .22lr complete upper from Spikes Tactical.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...fsp-p-789.html

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...fsp-p-788.html

These are the two I am narrowed my choices to. I guess my question is; is the "lothar walther" upper worth the $100 premium?
MrCubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:41   #2
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I too am interested in peoples experience in these, and other .22 uppers.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 17:43   #3
XDguy

I built my own with a Clint Beyer barrel. Aluminum, steel lined, extremely lightweight, and a tack driver. I highly recommend these barrels. I think you can get them through Brownells and CMMG.
XDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08   #4
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Honestly, neither one is worth the scratch, way over priced for what they are.

If your purpose is the speed games like Steel Challenge, AR style practice etc, there are better choices. $400 to $500 for uppers with better accuracy and more reliable function. Don't plan for better than 1-2 MOA depending on ammo.

If you want Sub MOA accuracy, you have 2 choices. Compass Lake ($1000 to $1400) or build your own with a Clint Beyer barrel.

I've built a few .22 LR uppers for customers that want a clone of their upper they bought from us and have used the Beyer barrels. Complete, ended up in the $650 to $700 range and they run laps around the Spikes. On the cheaper side, get a CMMG .22 action assembly and a CMMG dedicated .22LR barrel. Can build a complete upper for about $450, again that is every bit as accurate, and more reliable than the Spikes.

Unfortunately, the Nordic uppers are out of stock and no good timeframe as to when they will be back in stock. With that said, the Tactical Solitions AR uppers would be my next choice for a complete dedciated .22 upper.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us

Last edited by MarkCO; 01-20-2013 at 10:14..
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 17:29   #5
mak52580

For $500-600 you can grab a smith and wesson M&P 15-22 and swap it the stock items with the pink magpul furniture.

Problem will be finding the mags for them right now. But it will be a much better reliable option IMO
mak52580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 17:52   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
For $500-600 you can grab a smith and wesson M&P 15-22 and swap it the stock items with the pink magpul furniture.

Problem will be finding the mags for them right now. But it will be a much better reliable option IMO
I have not had the chance to look at the actual .22 AR type rifles. To those that have them... Are they just like a real AR or do they just look like one. I wouldn't be interested in a cobbled up piece of junk that looked like an AR. More along the lines of something that is an actual AR that you could swap lowers with if one wished.

Back when I was shooting Highpower with the AR. I would have killed for a full sized dedicated upper I could install on my DCM lower.

Now I am more interested in a .22 A2 carbine upper for one of my HD guns. Something to practice all day with for very little money.

Old 01-21-2013, 17:43   #7
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
To those that have them... Are they just like a real AR or do they just look like one.
The vast majority of the AR22 complete rifles are not AR-15 interchangeable. The Ruger and the Mossberg most definately are not. The S&W M&P, maybe, but the upper and lower is polymer and set up for their proprietary magazines. Personally, having shot all of them, I'd rather have a good 10/22 over the AR22s.

The full sized dedicated uppers built on AR-15 receivers are really the best bet and then swap out on your AR-15 lower or build a lower. They cost more for sure, but they perform much better.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 01-21-2013, 18:37   #8
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Thanks.

I will definitely be staying away from the AR22's

Old 01-21-2013, 20:36   #9
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Thanks.

I will definitely be staying away from the AR22's
Well, if that is what you are looking for, a little homework will keep you clear. The Jard J22 for instance is an actual AR-15 rifle with a dedicated bolt, barrel and collar on their Jard AR-15 lower. If you swapped barrel and bcg on hte upper, you would have a quality AR-15. You could also put any standard AR-16 upper on the lower.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 01-21-2013, 21:18   #10
Gokyo

Sorry I know this is not the answer you are looking for. However I am really very fond of my Tactical Solutions AR22 M4

You might be able to find it for a little cheaper and TS makes a very fine barrel. In addition they are pretty much 100% compatible with any other AR part, lower or accessory.
I think I paid 550.00 for mine.

Courage is grace under pressure

Last edited by Gokyo; 01-21-2013 at 21:19..
Gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote