Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:31   #1
pugman

Are we becoming "too" connected?

The internet and cellular phone are two of the greatest technological developments of all time. Of course with the good comes the bad.

I heard a news story several months ago about a toothbrush with a bluetooth type chip which would transmit data to your dentist about when and how long you brushed your teeth.

I was talking to someone in my gym last weekend. We struck up a conversation because he was wearing a Tough Mudder t-shirt and we had run the same event. He was just sitting in a chair.

He told me his company was having some sort of health/exercise motivation contest. His company has a gym on site but he decided to join here as well. Why?

Apparently the contest is all based on time and he was here "padding his stats." The gym (Snap Fitness) can transmit the days and amount of time he goes to gym to his employer.

My sister recently had a baby and her husband tweeted his name. I don't use Twitter. I don't follow people on Twitter. I'm on facebook less than five minutes a day.

I found out about the name a day or so later; when I asked why didn't they just call I got this deer in the headlights stare "I did tweet it?" He said I need to get on Twitter to get "more connected."

I know people who spend 3 hours or more a night on Facebook "trying to stay connected" to their 1687 friends.

Hell, half the time I just want to left alone.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56   #2
Knighj1

I'm with you. I have fb and twitter, but fb is for family/work/close friends(134 friends) and twitter is for the laughs. I only follow about 50 people half being funny quotes and weather, 10-15 friends and the rest bands and athletes.
That being said I only spend maybe 15-20 minutes a day checking and that's when I get bored.

Last edited by Knighj1; 01-12-2013 at 06:57..
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59   #3
md2lgyk

I also agree. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, and don't intend to start. Hell, I don't even own a cell phone. Got a letter from State Farm offering me a discount on my insurance if I let them install some gizmo to monitor my driving habits. No thanks. I guess no tickets and one minor accident in over 30 years isn't good enough for them.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:10   #4
ked

i don't have a cell phone. when i tell someone i don't have a cell phone, the most common reply is, "you're lucky" or something to that effect.

my computer is a hand-me-down laptop from a friend. my neighbor let me have his password so i could use the computer. it is slow, but then again, i remember riding my bike to the library and using the card catalog to do my research.

ked
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13   #5
spork
Caffeinator

I don't have FB or twitter, and I just got a cell phone a year ago (I just use it as a mobile hotspot usually).

If I was going to connect to people, I would rather do it digitally, but I am not very social in real life or digital life.

Anonymous forums provide a nice balance between the desire to occassionally "listen in" to a convesation and chime in with the rare pithy comment and the desire to remain unseen and to not get pulled into the drama of human connections.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17   #6
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

No FB or Twitter, hell I can not stand to talk on the phone.
Just leave me be!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34   #7
Never Nervous

I'm with you on this. Just seems like everyone has a chip that can be placed "somewhere". I have a twitter account that I have used one time. I am on Facebook about once a month denying peoples request I've never heard of wanting to be my friend.

NN
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27   #8
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

I have a cell phone, but only use it to make calls and occasional texts. Check my e-mail a few times a week when I'm home on vacation between jobs (constantly while I'm working a project )

No tweeting nor facebook for me. GlockTalk is about my the only forum I frequent and I use it a lot more when I'm away from home and working a project. Something to do while I'm holed up in an apartment in a foreign country. Keeps me in touch with the USA.

I love it when on a fishing trip when I'm outta; cell phone range, I can go for a long time without having to "connect".
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29   #9
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Sure we are. And, we think that everything we do is important to everyone else.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote