Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:50   #1
allegro

Dislike for Fobus ?

As a frequent-follower of the Forum, I notice that there is a lot of chatter about most other (main) brands of OWB holsters and very little about the Fobus products. I am wondering why?

I picked up a Fobus paddle for my G23 after the recommendation of an FBI Agent friend of mine. He liked it, so, what the heck, I figured I would too. He was right and I do !

Are there issues that cause others to NOT like the Fobus? Again, I am very pleased with mine and have been comfortably carrying it now for about a dozen years.

I hope I hear from the experienced masses here.

Happy New Year everyone, be careful and enjoy your families.

G23 (Gen3) Carry, G19 (Gen 4), Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32   #2
ThinkMud

I love my Fobus holsters. Some I've had to heat up and remold the trigger guard area because they where either too tight or too loose. But they are quick and easy and simple.

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:40   #3
UtahIrishman
BLR

My first holster was a Fobus OWB. It was OK but since I needed an IWB for CCW I've gone to an MTAC.

For the price they're decent but there are better holsters out there if you're willing to pay more money.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47   #4
Berto
woo woo

I used a Fobus for the BHP and it worked well, but they aren't robust and can be pulled loose at the rivets if you actually use your stuff hard.
Never an issue for me, I don't engage in Starsky and Hutch type stuff when carrying.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:56   #5
firefighter4215

For basic concealed carry my Fobus holsters are awesome. I wouldn't rely on them for duty use, though I do know of one cop who uses one on his duty belt.
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:30   #6
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I like them,I had ta trim the paddles on both rh/lh models.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:37   #7
TK-421

I like mine, it seems okay. I haven't used it much, and only intend it to be a range holster, so that I don't have to set it down. I don't actually plan on carrying it anywhere or using it anywhere except at the range, so I don't expect to see any heavy use or wear and tear on it. For $20, it's not a bad little holster. Just don't expect it to be the most awesome holster ever, and expect it to be a $20 chunk of plastic, and you won't be unhappy with it.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 14:46   #8
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Guess I'm the opposite. I hated the fobus stuff I had. Pistol was hard to pull from holster. Mag carrier had no retention and hurt like hell while wearing it. Cuffs I have wouldn't fit in cuff case. Ended up getting a blackhawk sherpa and was much much happier. I use an extra Gerber multitool pouch for the magazine. Cuff case was replaced by something else now. So now I refuse to buy anything fobus.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 12-25-2012, 15:17   #9
SPIN2010
Searching ...

I just got rid of a FOBUS magazine holder and it was just fine with 10mm Glock mags, I would buy another.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 18:33   #10
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
I have two Fobus paddle holsters for Glocks that I've had for years. Good solid holsters for the money. Not too fond of paddle holsters in general so I have converted one to a belt holster. Works great.
Old 12-25-2012, 19:34   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

There is much better than Fobus. I've had them and they didn't hold up to hard use.

If it's all you have the money for, go for it. If you can afford better, you'll be better off spending the extra money for something better.
Old 12-25-2012, 20:09   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I have had two. One would allow the gun to fall out if you turned it upside down. The other had such tight retention the entire holster would come out of your belt before the gun would draw.

There are better holsters out there for the same money. I don't like Serpas one bit, bit I'd take one over a focus in a pinch.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 20:12   #13
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I have had two. One would allow the gun to fall out if you turned it upside down. The other had such tight retention the entire holster would come out of your belt before the gun would draw.
That's the expeience I had as well. Both of mine are sitting back in their original packaging. I just don't trust them with my life.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 20:38   #14
tshadow6

Fobus

I have been carrying my G-19 in a Fobus paddle holster for at least 10 years. Define hard use; daily carry? range carry? motorcycle carry? I've used my Fobus during all of those activities and the holster is still in top condition. People need to understand, holsters are designed to hold the weapon; nothing more.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 22:52   #15
cowboy1964

A Fobus paddle was my first holster. It put severe scratches on my Glock 26 slide with only a few uses. Perhaps there was grit in there or whatever. I won't touch Fobus again.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-25-2012 at 22:53..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 00:52   #16
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
Define hard use.
Constant draw and re-holster on the order of several thousand times in a year. Rolling around on the ground while transitioning to and from various shooting positions, getting it snagged on things, rough handling in various training exercises, ect.

Stuff like that.

It would appear that the Fobus line of holsters isn't designed to stand up to that kind of use because I haven't had one yet that did. I've had three total. Never have I had one completely fail but I've had the rivets loosen up on all three of them to the point where the holster would no longer retain the gun securely.

I like the holsters simplicity but I would like to see them make it more robust. Then it wouldn't be too bad.

I still like it better over the Serpa any day though.
Old 12-26-2012, 00:57   #17
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Premium Kydex or Premium leather is the only way to go.

I never did understand the mentality of someone that will go spend $500+ on a handgun but complain about spending more than $20 on a holster.

Do yourselves a favor and purchase a real holster for your gun and call it a day.

Last edited by NEOH212; 12-26-2012 at 00:57..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51   #18
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

There are a few ways ta increase the life of a fobus holster,felt/heat ect.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08   #19
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Have two of them...now problems...depending what your needs are, they're good. If you want it for a duty holster...I'd spend a little extra and get a better holster.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21   #20
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

My main beef with Fobus plastic gear is that it is too easy to bootleg and flog to gun owners as the genuine article.

As the Fobus factory is but five miles from my home, I get the genuine article and all of my Fobus plastic holsters and holders have been excellent - secure, light, affordable, comfortable, quick drawing. Obviously not for deep concealment but in the winter it is no issue.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27   #21
high ground

For years it was pretty standard for me to buy a fobus when i got a new gun. Worked great for beginning idpa. But the last one i bought wouldn't let go of the gun. So i got blade tech economy line. Not much more expensive. But i still use fobus mag carriers.
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29   #22
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

you wouldnt use an open top leather biancchi rig for open carry and then complain about the retention during a gun grab would you?
Fobus was designed or at least seems to be designed for range use, ccw, and thats about it. they are not open carry retention rigs not will they sustain hard use.

fobus is far from optimal but, use a holster as it was designed for and you will be less disappointed.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 12-26-2012 at 08:32..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05   #23
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Fobus is simply a budget holster which from all appearances, seems to have been made cheaply. I have one and it works fine, the question is: how many are you willing to buy before you decide that its more cost effective to purchase a better holster?

Last edited by FireForged; 12-26-2012 at 10:06..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14   #24
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

BTW im tired and my snippy post wasnt pointed at anybody in particular. a $30.00 holster is worth $30.00, that is all.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36   #25
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

If we're talking cost effectiveness in holsters, by far and away the winner in my book is Remora, followed by SmartCarry (generic holsters), followed by Fobus by a slight margin.

My best holster ever, the Safariland 6070, has been the least cost effective.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote