Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 21:01   #1
Ay Dios Mio

"NO WEAPONS" sign in my favorite Mexican Restaurant

About a month ago I stopped into my favorite Mexican Restaurant on my way home to get my usual carry-out order.

While I was waiting in the vestibule I was looking around at family photos, etc. and noticed a NO WEAPONS allowed sign citing their liquor license being incompatible with weapons on the premises.

I read it several times trying to figure out why they had the sign up and just became sad knowing I wouldn't be going back in to patronize them anymore and they're already really slow and not doing as well as they were a few years ago.

So today when I was driving through town I thought I'd get Mexican to-go and there's a new place in town I hadn't tried yet, so I was hoping the new place would be my new favorite. I went in and ordered the way more expensive food and when I asked about chips and salsa with the to-go order, the waitress said it would be extra. Grrrrrr.

So I just said, no thanks and went back down the road to the other place with the "No Weapons" sign.

It was dinner time and there wasn't a single table of diners so I was chatting at the register with the owner and thought I'd say something about the sign.

I asked him to come over to the sign and showed it to him and said I didn't think it was right that the sign mentioned their liquor license and no weapons since it wasn't really a bar, and from my understanding of the sign they had posted, if it was true that weapons weren't allowed in the dining room, then the kids that were always in there sitting at the front booth doing their homework on their laptops after school wouldn't be allowed in there waiting on their mom to get off work.

I told him I'd been in other restaurants that had an actual bar with barstools, but that kids could be in the separate dining room and I thought this sign wasn't right for his premises.

He agreed with me and said he didn't know who put it up and said he'd take it down.

I thought he was just blowing smoke, but when I got my bag of food and went out to my work truck, I was parked right outside the picture window out front and watched him take the sign down.

Ay Dios Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:11   #2
Triple7

Interesting.....and good for the owner.
Maybe I should try this at Buffalo Wild Wings..... I could show up with the 12 guys and their families I play softball with and then ask the manager if he would like our business or not..since we go there every Tuesday for the past 4 years.
Then walk out if he says he can't do anything about it

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:39   #3
HollowHead
Firm member

Keep in mind that there are signs posted in businesses everywhere that are there only because they are insurance requirements. "No Firearms" signs are about as meaningful as "No Customers Beyond This Point" at Midas. Do you really think that restaurants would post, "Employees Must Wash Hands Before Returning To Work" signs in the bathrooms if they didn't have to? HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:48   #4
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

They may just mean "No Mexican Carry"...
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:52   #5
Caver 60

You did the right thing by talking respectfully to the owner, rather than just leaving and not telling him why. Several no gun signs around here have came down in the last few years. I know I played a role in getting at least one such sign removed a few years ago.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:52   #6
samuse

I Mexican carried in a Mexican restaurant today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:23   #7
RGbiker

With all the fat and sodium in Mexican food, you should heed the sign and not eat there.

You'll live longer.
Old 01-11-2013, 22:38   #8
cowboy1964

The owner didn't know who put the sign up??
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:40   #9
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay Dios Mio View Post
About a month ago I stopped into my favorite Mexican Restaurant on my way home to get my usual carry-out order.

While I was waiting in the vestibule I was looking around at family photos, etc. and noticed a NO WEAPONS allowed sign citing their liquor license being incompatible with weapons on the premises.

I read it several times trying to figure out why they had the sign up and just became sad knowing I wouldn't be going back in to patronize them anymore and they're already really slow and not doing as well as they were a few years ago.

So today when I was driving through town I thought I'd get Mexican to-go and there's a new place in town I hadn't tried yet, so I was hoping the new place would be my new favorite. I went in and ordered the way more expensive food and when I asked about chips and salsa with the to-go order, the waitress said it would be extra. Grrrrrr.

So I just said, no thanks and went back down the road to the other place with the "No Weapons" sign.

It was dinner time and there wasn't a single table of diners so I was chatting at the register with the owner and thought I'd say something about the sign.

I asked him to come over to the sign and showed it to him and said I didn't think it was right that the sign mentioned their liquor license and no weapons since it wasn't really a bar, and from my understanding of the sign they had posted, if it was true that weapons weren't allowed in the dining room, then the kids that were always in there sitting at the front booth doing their homework on their laptops after school wouldn't be allowed in there waiting on their mom to get off work.

I told him I'd been in other restaurants that had an actual bar with barstools, but that kids could be in the separate dining room and I thought this sign wasn't right for his premises.

He agreed with me and said he didn't know who put it up and said he'd take it down.

I thought he was just blowing smoke, but when I got my bag of food and went out to my work truck, I was parked right outside the picture window out front and watched him take the sign down.

Good story.
Old 01-11-2013, 22:52   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

welp, since its a mexican restuarant just tellem you got your gun from obama/holder.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:29   #11
BEER
bad example

it's just mexican food, there's a billion vendors out there. find a new one and move on.
Old 01-11-2013, 23:50   #12
Desert Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
welp, since its a mexican restuarant just tellem you got your gun from obama/holder.
Okay... That's pretty funny.

.... Just don't try the fast and furious chips and salsa...
Desert Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:57   #13
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Duck View Post
Okay... That's pretty funny.

.... Just don't try the fast and furious chips and salsa...
some of the taco shacks i've eaten in don't give you a choice. the salsa is going to go through you "fast and furious" no matter what.
Old 01-12-2013, 00:06   #14
sombunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
With all the fat and sodium in Mexican food, you should heed the sign and not eat there.

You'll live longer.
A healthy person who routinely eats a healthy diet can occasionally eat Mexican food, or any kind of food, with no bad effects whatsoever.

http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 00:19   #15
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombunya View Post
A healthy person who routinely eats a healthy diet can occasionally eat Mexican food, or any kind of food, with no bad effects whatsoever.
I believe you can regularly eat any food as long as it fits in with your macros. I know eating a large meal of mexican food everyday won't work with most people though.
Harper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00   #16
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Mexican Carry-Out = Open Carry, Mexican style?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32   #17
etc1006

Mexican carry means you have it on the table while grubbin'!
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28   #18
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I saw a Mexican doing that.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49   #19
Pilotdude3407

In GA signs mean nothing. You can still carry (except for govt buildings) and if caught they can just ask you to leave. If you refuse it can become criminal trespass but the sign doesn't make any difference.
Pilotdude3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59   #20
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?