GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 21:01   #1
Ay Dios Mio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sheep ranch in Washington State
Posts: 180
"NO WEAPONS" sign in my favorite Mexican Restaurant

About a month ago I stopped into my favorite Mexican Restaurant on my way home to get my usual carry-out order.

While I was waiting in the vestibule I was looking around at family photos, etc. and noticed a NO WEAPONS allowed sign citing their liquor license being incompatible with weapons on the premises.

I read it several times trying to figure out why they had the sign up and just became sad knowing I wouldn't be going back in to patronize them anymore and they're already really slow and not doing as well as they were a few years ago.

So today when I was driving through town I thought I'd get Mexican to-go and there's a new place in town I hadn't tried yet, so I was hoping the new place would be my new favorite. I went in and ordered the way more expensive food and when I asked about chips and salsa with the to-go order, the waitress said it would be extra. Grrrrrr.

So I just said, no thanks and went back down the road to the other place with the "No Weapons" sign.

It was dinner time and there wasn't a single table of diners so I was chatting at the register with the owner and thought I'd say something about the sign.

I asked him to come over to the sign and showed it to him and said I didn't think it was right that the sign mentioned their liquor license and no weapons since it wasn't really a bar, and from my understanding of the sign they had posted, if it was true that weapons weren't allowed in the dining room, then the kids that were always in there sitting at the front booth doing their homework on their laptops after school wouldn't be allowed in there waiting on their mom to get off work.

I told him I'd been in other restaurants that had an actual bar with barstools, but that kids could be in the separate dining room and I thought this sign wasn't right for his premises.

He agreed with me and said he didn't know who put it up and said he'd take it down.

I thought he was just blowing smoke, but when I got my bag of food and went out to my work truck, I was parked right outside the picture window out front and watched him take the sign down.

Ay Dios Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:11   #2
Triple7
Senior Member
 
Triple7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 542
Interesting.....and good for the owner.
Maybe I should try this at Buffalo Wild Wings..... I could show up with the 12 guys and their families I play softball with and then ask the manager if he would like our business or not..since we go there every Tuesday for the past 4 years.
Then walk out if he says he can't do anything about it
__________________
Cock the Glock and let 'em fly.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:39   #3
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,070


Keep in mind that there are signs posted in businesses everywhere that are there only because they are insurance requirements. "No Firearms" signs are about as meaningful as "No Customers Beyond This Point" at Midas. Do you really think that restaurants would post, "Employees Must Wash Hands Before Returning To Work" signs in the bathrooms if they didn't have to? HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:48   #4
gwalchmai
Lucky Member
 
gwalchmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outside the perimeter
Posts: 44,147


They may just mean "No Mexican Carry"...
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:52   #5
Caver 60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,552
You did the right thing by talking respectfully to the owner, rather than just leaving and not telling him why. Several no gun signs around here have came down in the last few years. I know I played a role in getting at least one such sign removed a few years ago.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:52   #6
samuse
Senior Member
 
samuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South TX
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
I Mexican carried in a Mexican restaurant today!
__________________
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick." -Clint Smith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:23   #7
RGbiker
Senior Member
 
RGbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,377
With all the fat and sodium in Mexican food, you should heed the sign and not eat there.

You'll live longer.
__________________
If Obama is the answer, then how stupid was the question?
RGbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:38   #8
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,393
The owner didn't know who put the sign up??
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:40   #9
Wyoming
Senior Member
 
Wyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 1,850
Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay Dios Mio View Post
About a month ago I stopped into my favorite Mexican Restaurant on my way home to get my usual carry-out order.

While I was waiting in the vestibule I was looking around at family photos, etc. and noticed a NO WEAPONS allowed sign citing their liquor license being incompatible with weapons on the premises.

I read it several times trying to figure out why they had the sign up and just became sad knowing I wouldn't be going back in to patronize them anymore and they're already really slow and not doing as well as they were a few years ago.

So today when I was driving through town I thought I'd get Mexican to-go and there's a new place in town I hadn't tried yet, so I was hoping the new place would be my new favorite. I went in and ordered the way more expensive food and when I asked about chips and salsa with the to-go order, the waitress said it would be extra. Grrrrrr.

So I just said, no thanks and went back down the road to the other place with the "No Weapons" sign.

It was dinner time and there wasn't a single table of diners so I was chatting at the register with the owner and thought I'd say something about the sign.

I asked him to come over to the sign and showed it to him and said I didn't think it was right that the sign mentioned their liquor license and no weapons since it wasn't really a bar, and from my understanding of the sign they had posted, if it was true that weapons weren't allowed in the dining room, then the kids that were always in there sitting at the front booth doing their homework on their laptops after school wouldn't be allowed in there waiting on their mom to get off work.

I told him I'd been in other restaurants that had an actual bar with barstools, but that kids could be in the separate dining room and I thought this sign wasn't right for his premises.

He agreed with me and said he didn't know who put it up and said he'd take it down.

I thought he was just blowing smoke, but when I got my bag of food and went out to my work truck, I was parked right outside the picture window out front and watched him take the sign down.

Good story.
__________________
Wyoming
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 22:52   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,537
welp, since its a mexican restuarant just tellem you got your gun from obama/holder.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:29   #11
BEER
bad example
 
BEER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Texas
Posts: 8,432
it's just mexican food, there's a billion vendors out there. find a new one and move on.
__________________
the brighter your light the darker your shadow.
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:50   #12
Desert Duck
Senior Member
 
Desert Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Front range in the mountains!
Posts: 330
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
welp, since its a mexican restuarant just tellem you got your gun from obama/holder.
Okay... That's pretty funny.

.... Just don't try the fast and furious chips and salsa...
__________________
G26, G22 w/LWD 40 to 9 conversion barrel, G30!
---------------------------------------------------------
Prepared. For life.
Desert Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 23:57   #13
BEER
bad example
 
BEER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Texas
Posts: 8,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Duck View Post
Okay... That's pretty funny.

.... Just don't try the fast and furious chips and salsa...
some of the taco shacks i've eaten in don't give you a choice. the salsa is going to go through you "fast and furious" no matter what.
__________________
the brighter your light the darker your shadow.
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 00:06   #14
sombunya
Senior Member
 
sombunya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Californy
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
With all the fat and sodium in Mexican food, you should heed the sign and not eat there.

You'll live longer.
A healthy person who routinely eats a healthy diet can occasionally eat Mexican food, or any kind of food, with no bad effects whatsoever.
__________________
.



http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 00:19   #15
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombunya View Post
A healthy person who routinely eats a healthy diet can occasionally eat Mexican food, or any kind of food, with no bad effects whatsoever.
I believe you can regularly eat any food as long as it fits in with your macros. I know eating a large meal of mexican food everyday won't work with most people though.
Harper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00   #16
airmotive
Tin Kicker
 
airmotive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Debris Field
Posts: 6,995
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I Mexican carried in a Mexican restaurant today!
Mexican Carry-Out = Open Carry, Mexican style?
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32   #17
etc1006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Mexican carry means you have it on the table while grubbin'!
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28   #18
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I Mexican carried in a Mexican restaurant today!
I saw a Mexican doing that.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49   #19
Pilotdude3407
Senior Member
 
Pilotdude3407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West GA
Posts: 191
In GA signs mean nothing. You can still carry (except for govt buildings) and if caught they can just ask you to leave. If you refuse it can become criminal trespass but the sign doesn't make any difference.
Pilotdude3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59   #20
Gareth68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri....West of Mexico
Posts: 3,612
Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68


Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
__________________
Repent Harlequin said The Ticktock Man; you're a non-conformist.
Gareth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:24.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,334
449 Members
885 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42