Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2013, 20:01   #201
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) replied to my NRA email:

Quote:
Dear Mr.XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) introduced S. Con. Res. 8 on March 15, 2013, a resolution that would set the budget for the federal government for Fiscal Year 2014 and budgetary levels for the next ten years. Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced an amendment to the resolution that would require a two-thirds majority—67 votes—to pass any gun control legislation in the United States Senate. The amendment was defeated by a vote of 50 to 49, thereby maintaining the simple majority vote requirement for such legislation.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate assault weapons (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and makes it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The bill was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee for further review and was favorably reported from the committee on March 14, 2013. The Senate will most likely consider this bill as an amendment on the Senate floor, as part of a larger discussion of legislation related to gun violence.

I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role access to behavioral health services plays in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/
I'm not happy, but I'm also not suprised. I didn't expect much else.
Old 04-11-2013, 20:08   #202
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Got two replies today, after using a modified Form Letter from the NRA-ILA link listed in this thread. I modified the letter, before I mailed it, with some of my own personal touches.

First response is from Rep. Paul Harris (R-Vancouver):
Quote:
XXXXXX,

Thank you for emailing my office regarding your Second Amendment rights. Rest assured that I will fight to keep your rights intact.

While there has been much discussion on gun control during these past months stemming from horrific and sad events, I feel we must not rush into any legislation which could be detrimental to our liberties and freedom. With emotions running high, there is a strong desire to see action and resolve, but I do not believe taking away rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment is the right course of action.

I believe we must first look at the root of the problem, which I believe is mental health. The vast majority of those committing these notorious acts are mentally instable. We must address this elephant in the room, which is difficult as many people do not acknowledge this ugly truth.

Again, thank you for voicing your concerns. I will continue to fight for your Second Amendment rights.

Representative Paul Harris

17th Legislative District

http://houserepublicans.wa.gov/members/Paul-harris/
A decent response to be sure. But I wish he'd get more assertive in his answer. I feel as if he's skirting around the issue. But it is a form letter, so I'm not too suprised at his answer.

The second response is from Congresswoman Jaime Hererra Beutler (R-WA):

Quote:
April 10, 2013

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding Second Amendment rights. It is an honor to represent the people of Southwest Washington, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Tragedies like those that took place Newtown, CT and Clackamas, OR in recent months have caused devastating loss and lasting grief among families and in communities across the nation. My heart goes out to the families of the victims of these unfathomable crimes. I simply do not have the words to encapsulate the anguish they have experienced.

Understandably, these events often raise questions with regard to public safety. As an elected official, I took an oath to uphold our Constitution, including the Second Amendment contained within it that guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. Law-abiding U.S. citizens deserve to have this right protected. I do believe we should review our current legal safeguards and restrictions to ensure that they are being adequately enforced. I also believe we need to examine our laws to ensure that we are doing what we can to keep criminals and the mentally unstable from obtaining these weapons in the first place.

As you may know, in January of 2013 President Obama called on Congress to enact several laws that would curb gun ownership and increase restrictions on gun purchases. However, shortly after that U.S. Senate Majority leader Harry Reid announced the Senate will not take up a bill to ban assault weapons. Since that statement Leader Reid has expressed general support for gun control, but the Senate has not voted on any related legislation.. Further, the U.S. Speaker of the House has indicated that the House will wait for Senate action before considering a bill. Should a bill on this issue make it to the House floor for a vote, please know I will protect your Constitutional rights.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. I invite you to visit my website at www.JaimeHB.house.gov for additional information or to sign up to be kept up to date on these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jaime Herrera Beutler
Member of Congress
Again, good response here, but I feel as if she too is skirting around the issue.

I will be watching these two very carefully. Still no response from our Democrat-Governor. I'm not suprised in the least.

Keep writing people!
Old 04-11-2013, 22:58   #203
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Check out this site and it's contact tools:

http://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/
Old 05-02-2013, 19:03   #204
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

When I asked my congressman about why DHS is buying thousands of rounds of calibers they don't use, he replied:
Quote:
Dear Mr. pizza_pablo,
Thank for you for contacting me about your concerns with ammunition purchases by the Department of Homeland Security. I appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts with me.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was created in response to the events of September 11, 2001. The Department is tasked with defending and securing our borders, preventing illegal arms, drug, and human trafficking, as well as protecting our country from acts of terrorism.
DHS currently has a number of contracts for the purchase of ammunition, the majority of which is used for staff training and qualification purposes. A number of DHS officials, such as those from the Customs and Border Protection Agency and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, face serious risks as they seek to enforce our laws. It is absolutely essential that they have the training and resources they need to protect themselves and our communities from those who might do harm.
I will continue to conduct rigorous oversight of our security agencies to ensure that our funds are being allocated appropriately and that the rights of all citizens are being protected.
I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates this issue in the future. I encourage you to continue to share your views with me on this topic or any other issue. Thank you for reaching out. It is an honor to serve as your representative.
Sincerely,
Derek Kilmer
Member of Congress
So, I replied:
Quote:
Congressman Kilmer,
I do not appreciate receiving a canned response.

Please answer my question, directly.

What does DHS do with thousands of rounds of .30 Caliber Carbine and 45 Long Colt ammunition?

To my knowledge they do not possess or have use for firearms which would fire these cartridges.

Sincerely,
pizza_pablo
That was 23 March. I have not received an answer.