Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:28   #126
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Here is what I got back from Senator Cornyn's office:
Dear Mr. Travclem:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Cookie cutter, but sounds promising. I didn't keep the one from Randy Neugebauer but it was similar. I have yet to hear back from Ted Cruz but it will probably be similar. God bless Texas!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:37   #127
uncledoodoo

From my House Rep Joe Barton

Dear Mr. Uncledoodoo:

Thank you for contacting me with your view regarding gun control and the Second Amendment. First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their life in the tragedy that took place in Connecticut. However, taking rights away from responsible citizens will not prevent future horrific events from happening.

The Obama Administration's recently announced plan amounts to a power grab in my opinion. I will fight any legislation that further restricts qualified owners' access to guns. I am also against the President using executive orders to circumvent the will of the people and infringe on the constitutional rights of my constituents.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and I am a consistent supporter of that right. I believe that violent crime must be reduced, but I will not support measures that infringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

I support an individual's right to defend themselves, their family, and their property with a legally obtained firearm. This right is put in jeopardy by those advocating stricter control measures. The gun control movement hurts law-abiding citizens and businesses, not the criminals who care nothing for the law. I believe we can better reduce the misuse of firearms by strongly enforcing laws already on the books and maintaining responsible judiciaries.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please let me know how I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Joe Barton
Member of Congress
uncledoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:20   #128
MacNobody

Dear Seamus MacNobody,

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on gun control in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. It is good to hear from you.

First and foremost, no words can describe the shock I felt in the aftermath of this tragic event. It is difficult for me to fathom how a person could commit such a senseless act of violence. I am deeply saddened by the loss of so many innocent lives, especially those of the young children, and my thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the families and the communities affected. As a father and a grandfather, there is nothing more important to me than protecting our children, and we need to do everything within our scope of power to keep them safe.

As tragedy strikes, the debate over the Second Amendment grows more contentious. I believe it is important to avoid a knee-jerk reaction. Instead, we should examine how we can prevent these heinous acts from occurring in a manner that is consistent with our rights and values. The shooting highlighted a number of things, including the fact that our schools must have the resources they need to keep their buildings secure and their students safe. It also brought to the forefront an issue that has not received adequate attention: mental health.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to discussing with my colleagues the role our federal government should play in preventing such events from happening again. However, the conversation should not be limited to Congress. We must bring together parents, educators, law enforcement, and mental health professionals to help find solutions as well. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you and be sure to visit my website, www.womack.house.gov, for more information and to sign up for my newsletter.

Sincerely,

Congressman Steve Womack
Member of Congress
MacNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 16:08   #129
costanza187
I like Macs

I got a reply from Ed Whitfield's office... kind of an acknowledgement that I had contacted, said he would follow up more later.
Old 01-24-2013, 17:34   #130
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

FYI, here's a website for the House Leadership, I strongly recommend we write each of them repeatedly.

http://www.house.gov/leadership/
Old 01-24-2013, 19:58   #131
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I will not tolerate any elected official that cannot use reason to intelligently figure out the problem with mass violence.

The problem is people. The only way to stop mass violence is to stop crazy nutjobs from having access to unarmed people (victims). Armed people are not victims, they are combatants in the war against mass murderers.

I have a lot of friends, I belong to several organizations, I teach classes to multiple people, I have daily interaction with multiple people. I will do my best to try to convince every voter to vote against those that would vote to allow crooks to have more firepower than law abiding citizens.

Pandora's box has been opened. It's way too late to get the guns or magazines back from the bad guys. They already have them, and due to our porous border, will always find a way to get more. 100 x 30 round AR 15 Magazines will fit in a small backpack. Homeland defense does not have the capacity to stop thousands of those backpacks from entering the country. A ban will only create a black market. Bad guys will realize they have an advantage, and take advantage of the good guys.

More gun control is not the answer. It's the problem. Ask any homeowner in Great Britain that's been burglarized while at home in the last 10 years. There are plenty to talk too. Google it if you'd like.

Don't stop now.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 19:48   #132
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I've been turned onto a new tool that allows you to contact all of your reps BY LEGISLATIVE BILL, so you can agree with or oppose each bill individually.

It's a slick sight.

www.popvox.com
Old 01-26-2013, 20:57   #133
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

You rule, Doc.

Thanks.

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:41   #134
JBG30

Pretty ambiguous, but of all the letters sent, this is the only reply I've had after two weeks.

January 25, 2013

Dear JB,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a variety of gun policy measures in response to the Newtown, CT killings. I therefore value knowing your views on this important issue, which is important to me as I carefully review the President's proposals. Like many Pennsylvanians, I believe that Second Amendment rights are important and must be protected, but there may be areas of agreement with the White House that can be addressed to improve public safety. I also believe that people who use guns in an illegal manner or harm others with them should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

That said, we have consistently observed that mass killings are the result of serious mental illness. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities, including improved background checks. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. As I continue working with my Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle on public safety, please be assured that I will keep your views about firearms in mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Signature

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania
JBG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 23:33   #135
kd608

reply from rand paul

January 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Davenport,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. My thoughts and prayers are with the children, parents, teachers and community as they mourn this tragic loss of life.
After such a senseless act of violence, the power of prayer and the kindness of friends, family, and neighbors near and far provides solace and strength to the community. I hope we can learn more about what warning signs were missed and how we can better prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future. However, I do not believe we should rush to point fingers or enact reactionary legislation curtailing Second Amendment rights. No amount of gun control will be able to prevent mentally disturbed individuals from committing despicable acts of violence. High-risk individuals will still be able to acquire firearms and other lethal weapons, even with an increase in prevention. Please be assured I will oppose any proposed gun control law which would limit the right to gun ownership by those who are responsible, law-abiding citizens, and that I will continue to defend Americans' Second Amendment rights in the Senate.
Once more, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

The Okie Corral

Rand Paul, MD
United States Senator
kd608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 23:48   #136
F350

I have been sending the same message to my 2 Dem-o-crap Senators weekly for several weeks.....

Quote:
I figure anything more detailed would be above their reading comprehension level anyway
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32   #137
BradD

One representative sent the following back to me. What's the best response? (I can think of a few, but want to plug into the collective LOL.)

Quote:
Back in the 1930s, machine guns were the scourge of the country because criminals had them. They were banned by Congress. The violence stopped and no one complained about their gun ownership rights. What’s changed now!

Tom Burch

Romans 3:23 -> 6:23 -> 5:8 -> 10:9 -> 10:13

An Excellent Gospel Presentation
BradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02   #138
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
One representative sent the following back to me. What's the best response? (I can think of a few, but want to plug into the collective LOL.)

It was unconstitutional then and it is unconstitutional now. Back then people were too worried about finding their next meal than fighting for their rights. The government used this to their advantage. Also, very few people were machine gun owners there are a hell of a lot more AR-15/AK-47 owners now then there where machine gun owners then.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10   #139
woodasptim

Quote:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on the Second Amendment. I am committed to putting the needs of my constituents first, and it is important that I have a direct line to you and other residents of the 1st District of Arkansas. Your correspondence plays a vital role in the legislative process, and I welcome your views and ideas.

In light of the recent tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut there have been calls for more stringent gun laws and restrictions for gun owners. While I share in the Nation's grief over this senseless act of violence, I do not believe that just passing additional gun control laws is an appropriate solution. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states "a well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This passage clearly establishes the basic right of Americans to own firearms. I do not believe the federal government should compromise that right, whether for hunting, for protection, for sport, or for any lawful use.

I fully support the initiation of thoughtful dialogue on how to prevent similar tragedies in the future. It is imperative that we identify ways to improve early identification, diagnosis, and treatment for those living with serious mental illnesses. In addition, there must be a national dialogue addressing violence that is showcased on movies, video games, television and the internet. Lastly, we need to promote responsible gun ownership to ensure that common sense measures are taken by those in possession of firearms.

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families who lost their loved ones, and I hope you will join me in praying for the victims' families so they might find peace after this shocking tragedy. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Rick Crawford
Member of Congress

Quote:
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts about gun control, mental healthcare, and the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. It is good to hear from you.

As a father, grandfather, and former school board member, I was shocked, outraged, and deeply saddened by the senseless violence that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As we mourn the loss of 26 innocent lives, and pray for the victims and their families, we also question how one individual could carry out such a monstrous act. We need to take steps to better understand why these types of horrific events keep happening and what we can do to prevent them in the future. Like you, I believe that starts with having a broader conversation about mental health care in our country. We need to reassess mental and behavioral healthcare screening, access, and treatment policies.

That being said, I share your concerns with the calls for the creation of new gun control laws. There is plenty of evidence, both in our country and elsewhere, which proves that simply disarming law abiding citizens does not help reduce violent crime. In 2011, Connecticut's gun laws were rated the fifth toughest in the country, including a partial ban on assault weapons, and this tragic incident still could not be prevented. As we continue to grieve as a nation, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind and continue to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. Please be sure to visit our website at www.boozman.senate.gov. I look forward to your continued correspondence.

Sincerely,

John Boozman
U.S. Senator
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46   #140
PVolk

Gut-wrenching reply from Carl Levin (MI), who is also a co-sponsor of DiFi's bill...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate you sharing your views with me.

I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help prevent crimes, suicides and violence committed with firearms. I support the steps President Obama outlined recently to curb the gun violence that plagues our nation, and I believe Congress can and should work to enact legislation to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159). This law requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. The background check system is able to make 92 percent of background check determinations on the spot, and since 1994, has prevented more than 1.5 million firearm purchases. Additionally, according to Centers for Disease Control statistics, since the Brady Law went into effect, the number of gun deaths in the United States dropped 22 percent, from 39,595 in 1993 to 30,769 in 2007. The number of gun homicides dropped by more than 29 percent, from 17,024 in 1993 to 12,129 in 2007.

While the Brady Law has been successful in reducing gun violence, I believe more has to be done. For example, only 60 percent of all gun sales in the United States take place at licensed federal dealers, where background checks are mandatory. The remaining 40 percent of gun sales are conducted by unlicensed individual sellers, often at gun shows, and a background check is not required. This means that across our nation, any dangerous individual can go to a gun show and purchase a deadly weapon without any form of background check. To close this ‘gun show loophole,’ I am a cosponsor of the Gun Show Background Check Act. This bill would enact the common sense principle that anyone who wants to purchase a firearm at a gun show should be able to pass a simple background check. Ten national police organizations support closing this loophole.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, a bill that seeks to reduce gun violence by keeping firearms out of the hands of terrorists and criminals. Although hard to believe, nothing in current law prohibits individuals on terrorist watch lists from purchasing firearms, unless they fall into another disqualifying category. This “terror gap” in federal law must be closed, and this bill would do just that. This legislation would deny the transfer of a firearm when a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check reveals that the prospective purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the purchaser may use the firearm in connection with terrorism. Keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists is just common sense.

I also have always supported the rights of sportsmen and hunters. Hunting is a way of life for millions of Americans and plays an integral role in modern wildlife management. But military style assault weapons have no sporting purpose. Because of these weapons, our nation’s citizens are in greater danger and police officers across the country are encountering criminals armed with highly lethal military style weapons.

To support our law enforcement community and to save lives, I am a cosponsor of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prevent the future possession, manufacture, sale and importation of assault-type weapons while grandfathering weapons lawfully possessed at the date of the bill’s enactment. It would ban firearms with detachable magazines and military style features, such as grenade launchers, protruding pistol grips, and barrel shrouds. It would support law enforcement officers across our nation, who should not be forced to confront lawbreakers toting military arms. And it would protect the rights of hunters by specifically naming thousands of firearms with legitimate sporting, sentimental or other value that would remain legal to possess.

This bill also would ban high capacity ammunition magazines. Studies have shown that high capacity ammunition magazines are used in 31 to 41 percent of fatal police shootings in cities across our nation. They also have been used by the perpetrators of numerous mass shootings, including at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, the Tucson shooting of Representative Gabrielle Giffords and 19 others, the attack on a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrifying shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The Newtown shooting alone left twenty six people dead, twenty of them children.

We must not wait until more places are added to this heartbreaking list. We can and should act swiftly to protect our families and loved ones from mass shootings. These measures have the overwhelming support of law enforcement communities around our nation, who have implored us to make changes to stop the flood of these types of weapons into the hands of those who would use them for harm. I will continue to work for common-sense gun safety measures.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin
levin.senate.gov

Last edited by PVolk; 01-29-2013 at 12:49..
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:07   #141
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Thank you for taking the time to contact me to express your support for preserving and protecting the Second Amendment of the Constitution. I appreciate hearing your concerns.

As a father, I cannot begin to imagine the grief and pain of losing a loved one in such a senseless act. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families affected by the Newtown, Connecticut murders. Mass acts of violence like what occurred in Newtown demonstrate a coarsening of society that has come to devalue life at all stages. Fundamentally, however, the problem is not guns, it is people. Adam Lanza is the one who illegally stole guns from his mother and murdered 26 children and adults.

I agree that Washington and all of America must have a serious debate and honest discussion about what fuels a very small segment of the population to inflict harm and instill fear. This means holding Hollywood accountable for its culture of violence and death. We should talk openly about mental health issues. And also be honest about the responsibilities of families and communities. Furthermore, Americans must demand the Obama Administration enforce current laws. New laws will not prevent criminals from engaging in illegal activity — but tougher enforcement and prosecution can make a difference.

In light of this tragedy, many have renewed their attacks on the Second Amendment rights of Americans like yourself. The Second Amendment, however, is non-negotiable. Congress must stand for the entirety of the Constitution. I am deeply concerned by President Obama’s willingness to abandon his sworn obligation to ‘preserve, protect, and defend’ the Constitution. Our Founding Fathers clearly outlined in the Constitution a desire for three branches of government--the executive, legislative, and judicial. Now the President seems to believe he fills not only the role of the executive branch, but also the legislative. I would remind President Obama that it is the exclusive right of Congress to write and pass laws.

As a responsible and law-abiding gun owner, I am committed to standing behind the principles set forth by the Founding Fathers guaranteeing the right to bear arms in the Second Amendment. I oppose efforts by the Obama Administration to prescribe unnecessary, unproven, and unconstitutional gun control mandates on upstanding, law-abiding citizens. Please know that this issue remains a concern for me and I am committed to being engaged and vocal in protecting your Second Amendment rights in Washington.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you have not already, I encourage you to take a moment to find me on Facebook (facebook.com/congressmanhuelskamp), follow my personal updates on Twitter (twitter.com/CongHuelskamp) and check out my latest speeches and media appearances on YouTube (youtube.com/CongressmanHuelskamp).

Sincerely,

Tim Huelskamp

Member of Congress

P.S. If you are interested in additional information regarding my work in Congress, visit my website (http://huelskamp.house.gov/subscribe) and sign up to receive my weekly newsletter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:56   #142
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Senator Rand Paul's response:

January 29, 2013

Dear Sgt.K,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. My thoughts and prayers are with the children, parents, teachers and community as they mourn this tragic loss of life.

After such a senseless act of violence, the power of prayer and the kindness of friends, family, and neighbors near and far provides solace and strength to the community. I hope we can learn more about what warning signs were missed and how we can better prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future. However, I do not believe we should rush to point fingers or enact reactionary legislation curtailing Second Amendment rights. No amount of gun control will be able to prevent mentally disturbed individuals from committing despicable acts of violence. High-risk individuals will still be able to acquire firearms and other lethal weapons, even with an increase in prevention. Please be assured I will oppose any proposed gun control law which would limit the right to gun ownership by those who are responsible, law-abiding citizens, and that I will continue to defend Americans' Second Amendment rights in the Senate.

Once more, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, MD
United States Senator
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58   #143
BLACKMAGICK

To those of you using or that may use the "send to all" site check the page that appears after you submit your letter, it may tell you that some didn't go through. It told me it wasn't able to send to Bill Nelson and that I should print a copy of my letter and mail it to him. It did not give a reason why.
BLACKMAGICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:03   #144
Aahzz
Who?

My response from Thomas Massie, who is an excellent rep - no response from Rand Paul or Mitch McConnell so far, though I have contacted both....

Dear Mr. Aahzz

Thank you for contacting me about the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you.

On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to reflect on how we can best prevent acts like this in a way that does not violate our Second Amendment rights.

In response to this tragedy, several pieces of legislation are expected to be introduced in the 113th Congress by gun control advocates. For example, Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein has already announced her plan to introduce a renewal of the "assault weapons" ban.

President Obama has announced his own gun control agenda. His plan calls for various legislative proposals and threatens to implement twenty-three "executive actions." These include the passage of a federal gun trafficking law, and background checks on all gun sales. I oppose such gun control proposals because they are unconstitutional, and they do not keep Americans safe.

I will work vigorously to defend the rights of gun owners. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not principally about hunting or recreation. In fact, the Second Amendment to our Constitution is our Founding Fathers' restatement of our natural God-given right to defend life, liberty, and property.

I'm a decade-long concealed carry permit holder and Class III firearms collector. When I was twelve years old, my father bought me my first gun, an H&R .410 shotgun. In the course of hunting in the woods of Kentucky, he taught me the great responsibility that comes with ownership of a firearm. Now that I am a father of four, I enjoy teaching these same lessons to my children through hunting and target practice.

On January 3rd, I introduced H.R. 133, the Citizens Protection Act of 2013. This bill would repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990. Gun-free zones prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves, and create vulnerable populations that are targeted by criminals.

In the coming weeks, I will discuss with my colleagues and constituents the best ways to combat horrendous acts of violence without violating the Second Amendment. I value your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues.
Sincerely,

Thomas Massie
Member of Congress
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14   #145
Ian Moone

January 28, 2013

Dear Ian,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I always appreciate hearing from those that I represent in Congress.

I was heartbroken to hear the news of this tragic shooting that took the lives of 20 children and 6 staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As a father of two, I can only imagine the pain and grief that the parents and families of the victims experienced that day and still bear. My thoughts and prayers go out to these victims as well as the rest ofthe Newtown community that have been affected by this horrible event.

During this time of mourning and high emotions, some will use this tragedy, caused by a mentally ill individual, as a platform to promote gun control. Many gun control laws do nothing more than restrict the freedoms of law-abiding citizens while often failing to prevent criminals and those who wish to cause harm from obtaining guns and committing violent crimes.

I am a gun owner and, concealed handgun license holder. I firmly support the right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. Our Founding Fathers considered this right so fundamental that they enshrined it in the Second Amendment of our Constitution. As our nation examines ways to curb violence in our country, I believe that we need to look first at the underlying causes of violence before we try to single out weapons that are used in a small percentage of violent crime. Moreover, I believe that we must steadfastly oppose any infringements on our Second Amendment rights. Please be assured that I will continue to monitor any legislation regarding gun rights and will keep your thoughts in mind should legislation come before me on the House floor.

Thank you for entrusting me to represent you in the United States Congress. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at http://flores.house.gov. You can also follow me on Twitter: @RepBillFloresand Facebook: www.facebook.com/RepBillFlores. Please do not hesitate to contact me again should you have further suggestions or concerns on any federal legislation or programs.

Very truly yours,

Bill Flores
Member of Congress

Last edited by Ian Moone; 01-30-2013 at 12:33.. Reason: Formatting issues from cut and paste
Ian Moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53   #146
Radam3

Tagged for ideas

"I question things because I am human"
Old 01-31-2013, 13:27   #147
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on legislation to address gun violence in our communities. I certainly appreciate your taking the time to make me aware of your concerns about this important matter.

The shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut have compelled the nation to reexamine how we can avoid such a senseless tragedy from occurring again. I believe that the Administration has outlined a series of steps to make our communities and children safer from gun violence. These recommendations include: a universal background check, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, strengthening background checks, enhancing school safety, and expanding mental health safeguards and services.

These are reasonable, common-sense proposals to help protect our communities while ensuring the rights of responsible gun owners, such as our hunters and sportsmen, are protected. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress to consider legislation that would implement these reasonable proposals.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hoyer.house.gov. While there, you can sign up for the Hoyer Herald, access my voting record, and get information about important public issues. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kindest regards, I am

Sincerely yours,

Steny H. Hoyer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine that....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-31-2013, 17:44   #148
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Alright, so I'm taking the next step. I am traveling to Washington D.C. week after next, and figured I might as well stop in to see my two Senators and Congressional rep. I'll be traveling with others, but I have made an appointment with Senator Ted Cruz on my own. I'll piggyback on meetings with Senator Cornyn and My Congressional Rep with the others. RKBA issues will be clearly stated to all. I have a few business specific issues also, but will not leave without them hearing what my views are on RKBA. I know that usually we end up meeting with staffers, but did get the chance last year to shake my reps hand, in person, and look him in the eye, and talk to him for over an hour. He's a pro-RKBA kind of guy, but that's to be expected from Texans. Hate to leave my carry weapon behind to go to a gun free zone as large as Wash. D.C., but that's how the game is played.

The Okie Corral
Old 01-31-2013, 20:31   #149
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Just got a response from my Rep:

Quote:
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email. The recent school shootings call us to action, but it must be effective action.

I completely agree with you: gun control is not the answer. Gun control—whether assault rifle bans or magazine limits—will, at best, shrink the freedom of law-abiding citizens while having little or no effect on the availability of these technologies.

Furthermore, such a ban fails to address the true cause of these shootings. The number of public shootings has increased rapidly in recent years. These shootings, which often end with the perpetrator taking his own life, are the ultimate rebellion against existence—despair in its most mature and wicked form. Not so long ago, these public shootings were almost unheard-of. Something has changed in the fabric of our nation. Until we find out what the root cause of these shootings is, no amount of money or regulation will stop them from occurring.

Again, thank you for your email. I hope to hear from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Don

Senator Don Benton
Deputy Majority Leader
17th Legislative District
This guy's the real deal!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46   #150
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Congressman John Yarmuth's response:

February 4th, 2013

Dear Sgt.K,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views about gun safety measures. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter and would like to get your input on a number of other provisions, as well.

As you are well aware, on January 16th , President Obama released his plan for reducing gun violence in our country. While I believe the President's plan includes some commonsense proposals for Congress to debate , I would very much appreciate the benefit of your views. I have posted the provisions as a survey on my website, which you can access by clicking here. Your input will be incredibly valuable as Congress debates this issue in the weeks and months ahead.

Thank you again for contacting me – and i f you would like to learn more about my work in Washington and in Louisville, please visit my website at www.yarmuth.house.gov where you will find the latest news, my weekly schedule, video from hearings, and information about constituent services . You can sign up for my e-newsletter to receive periodic updates on important issues and services for your family. You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter (@ RepJohnYarmuth ).

Sincerely,

John Yarmuth
Member of Congress

I've read the survey and haven't decided how to answer all of the questions yet. It asks some basic ban questions then goes into supporting federal funding increases and information collection.