Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10   #101
Unlocked
CLM Number 22
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
That doesn't sound too good.
Here is another reply from IN Congressman Young. If you didn't know him that last response probably sounded a little weak. This one has a much better tone. I believe he is a true conservative and a good guy.

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding 2nd Amendment rights and the Administration’s proposed gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect as to how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values.

On January 16, 2013, the Administration announced a comprehensive gun control proposal, including a two-pronged legislative initiative and 23 separate Executive Actions. The proposed legislative initiatives focus on a universal background check system and a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The 2nd Amendment right of American citizens to keep and bear arms has been clearly upheld by the Supreme Court as an explicitly individual right. While I can support measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, I will not support any legislation that infringes on the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise their Constitutionally-guaranteed right to legal gun ownership. Hasty action by Congress will not prevent gun violence. If we hope to stop another tragedy like Sandy Hook, then it must be through deliberative action that makes it harder for criminals to acquire firearms, and easier for those who need mental health care to access it.

The vast majority of gun owners are neither criminals nor mentally unsound, and limiting their ability to buy or possess firearms will do little to solve our real problems. In the coming weeks, I look forward to discussing legislative options with my colleagues as we consider the current and future role of our federal government in preventing these atrocious tragedies. Be assured, I will do everything in my power to uphold and defend the Second Amendment and the rights it entails.

I value your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues. Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service,
Todd Young
Member of Congress

Originally posted by gtrcivic
ONLY IF EVERY HVAC GUY WAS LIKE YOU. 99% are not.
Unlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50   #102
ARFFormula

I sent this to Gov Deal, Senator Isakson, Senator Chambliss and Congressman Jack Kingston:

Hi,
My name is T. I am a former US Marine and now a firefighter in the Georgia area. I am a taxpayer and a local, state and national voter. I pay close attention to the policies of our elected officials. I have voted both Democrat and Republican in the past. I am a registered Republican.
I write this letter to let you know my feelings on the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.
First, our Bill our Rights is NOT granted by the United States Government. It tells the Government our fundamental rights granted BY BIRTH being a US citizen. Again, the Constitution DOES NOT give the people rights, it lets our government know WE THE PEOPLE have rights that CANNOT be taken away by our government. It is there to PROTECT us from government.
Why is my government taking away my RIGHTS that they can't? It is unconstitutional.
There are quite a few things that can protect us from another Aurora Colorado and Sandy Hook. Simple solutions, sure, they will cost, but I think should have been in place. President Obama has been pressing for a raise in the debt ceiling. SPEND the money wisely!
Yes, my taxes have gone UP (>$50 a paycheck which I can't afford), and now an attack on my RIGHTS? Plus healthcare regulation, which will cost me how much?
ANY 2nd amendment restrictions on the federal level CAN NOT happen.
Second, our fore fathers left England/Europe for VERY specific reasons a few hundred years ago. England/Europe was oppressing our basic human rights. WHY do we want to revert back to that ideology?
The United States has our own culture and traditions now. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. We cannot revert backwards.
PROTECT OUR 2ND AMMENDMENT RIGHTS.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Respectfully,
T M

I received this email back from Sen Chambliss:

Dear Mr. M :

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been and remain a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. While I am certain that the president's proposal is well-intentioned, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov .

I also received an letter in the mail from Congressman Kingston, he is very pro 2nd Amendment.

I have not heard from Gov Deal or Sen Isakson yet.
ARFFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04   #103
BradD

I was slow getting going, but I sent the following to about fifty legislators yesterday. My goal is to send to all of them in my state and the national reps and senators, LOL. I'm working on it.

Quote:
We respectfully urge you to do everything within your power to oppose any legislation that will erode the Second Amendment freedoms that were secured by the blood of countless patriots.

A cursory reading of the Founding Fathers’ writings confirms that the Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to own firearms for self-defense against criminals and tyrants. (Tyranny is not a threat in the USA in 2013, but we do not know what future generations will face.) The Founding Fathers were concerned that standing armies would someday tyrannize the citizenry. To defend themselves, the citizens would need small arms on par with those carried by the Founders’ perceived threats. Therefore, in today’s terms, the Second Amendment guarantees the right to own at least semi-automatic firearms without required modifications such as lower capacity magazines.

Limits on law-abiding citizens will not improve public safety. For example, there is no good argument for a ban of so-called assault rifles. According to the FBI, only 323 murders were committed with rifles in the USA in 2011. While each was tragic, it makes no sense to set public policy for 300,000,000 people based on that number, especially when other sources, such as drunk driving, cause many more premature deaths. The same is true for restrictions on magazine size, possession of body armor, possession of different types of bullets, and so on. However, organized criminals and others intent on doing harm will be grateful if such limits are placed on law-abiding citizens.

Again, we very strongly urge you to use all the power of your office to stop legislation that will infringe our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you for your attention and we hope you have a great day.

Sincerely,
I received back two affirmatives so far.

Romans 3:23 -> 6:23 -> 5:8 -> 10:9 -> 10:13

An Excellent Gospel Presentation

Last edited by BradD; 01-23-2013 at 08:06..
BradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03   #104
coastal4974

My “new” Rep is a gun totin right wing nut, I wrote to thank him for his continued support as I did with one of my Senators.
When it comes to obama's relationship with my other Senator, I cant tell which one is real and which one is the inflatable doll. Writing him would just solicit a boilerplate response about how hard he is working to help Zero with his progressive agenda.

With state lawmakers and LEOs in other states moving to protect their citizens from the Zero’s attempts to infringe our rights expressed by the 2A, I have written my state Rep, Senator and Gubner asking what they are doing.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03   #105
ARFFormula

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx77 View Post
Oh yeah Right!!
I have Schumer, Gillebrand and Peter King...all F rated by NRA....as if
Your letters are very important
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08   #106
ustate
NRA Member

It's been almost two weeks and still no response for me. While I know my Senators and Rep are pro-gun and will not go along with Obama on any of his wants it would still be nice to get something other than an auto response saying my email was received.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24   #107
ARFFormula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustate View Post
It's been almost two weeks and still no response for me. While I know my Senators and Rep are pro-gun and will not go along with Obama on any of his wants it would still be nice to get something other than an auto response saying my email was received.
IMO, write a letter (signed) and send it in the mail. Emails are great, but alot of our elected officials are "old school"
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06   #108
BradD

I just received the following from one of our Representatives. Mostly very positive. I followed-up with the second quoted text.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me regarding your thoughts on our Second Amendment freedoms. I too am concerned that government is trying to infringe on our rights, "to keep and bear arms." I am a member of the NRA and have been endorsed by them each time that I have ran for office. I assure you that I intend to advocate for the Second Amendment to remain as our Founding Father's created it. It is my opinion that banning weapons will only create a black market for resourcing whatever weapons is needed. The only thing that will result from this, is that you and I, law biding citizens will be without the freedom to own protection. I am not for everyone owning assault weapons, however, with proper regulation to ownership and accountability to the owner, there shouldn't be a problem.

Again, thank you so much for your input. I appreciate the opportunity to serve the Commonwealth.

Warmest Regard,

Regina Bunch
State Representative - 82nd District
Quote:
Dear Representative Bunch,

Thank you very much for your response and assurances that you will support Second Amendment rights.

At this point, I’d just ask that any regulation of any equipment, including so-called “assault rifles” be considered with the Second Amendment in mind. For example, if a registry of these devices is kept, that would make it easier for a leader (perhaps a very, very bad one at some point in the (hopefully) distant future!) to confiscate them at some point in the future. Thus, such a registry violates the Second Amendment also, in my opinion.

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day.
Edit: She wrote back with the following, which seems OK to me.

Quote:
I am talking about people with prior convictions of violent crimes and people such as these. I think we have to have regulations in place for those that have proven to misuse for intent of harm. We already have a fairly adequate regulation in place.

Romans 3:23 -> 6:23 -> 5:8 -> 10:9 -> 10:13

An Excellent Gospel Presentation

Last edited by BradD; 01-23-2013 at 12:10..
BradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:46   #109
Dan88Iroc

I received a message back today from Senator Klobuchar (D-MN):

Dear Mr. Dan88Iroc:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on guns. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important and timely issue.

As the former chief prosecutor of Minnesota's largest county, I worked to enforce the gun laws already on the books and have long supported efforts to promote gun safety, including background checks. I also believe the Second Amendment gives American citizens the right to own guns for collection, protection, and sport. This right is an important part of our shared history and heritage, and should be protected.

As a member of the Judiciary Committee, I look forward to hearings on the President's recommendations and proposed public safety solutions that include school safety, addressing mental illness, limits on high-capacity magazines and assault weapons, and other efforts to combat violence.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. One of the most important parts of my job is listening to what the people of Minnesota have to say to me. I am here in our nation's capital to do the public's business and to serve the people of our state. I hope you will contact me again about matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Amy Klobuchar
United States Senator
Dan88Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:03   #110
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I want to make it clear that I abhor the tragedy that happened in Connecticut. Words cannot describe my feelings of remorse and sympathy for victims and their parents.

But, I refuse to be a victim myself. I've gone to war for this country more than once, and I'd do it again if asked. All I want is the same level of protection that the police have against bad guys.

New York Police officers and retired police officers are stating that they cannot possibly be expected to show up to a scene with less firepower than the criminals have.

This is Forrest Gump moment.

The bad guys will have larger magazines, bigger guns, and more firepower than I have now. I deserve to have the same chance as anyone else.

Our police officers should not be afraid because Gov. Cuomo had a "Nancy Pelosi" moment, needing to pass something before he had read it, so that we could find out what is in it. Turns out, what was in it was a poorly drafted piece of legislation based on false premisses.

Our citizens should not be afraid either.

I will not vote for anyone that votes for any more gun control as a response to this tragedy, only because their cause and effect detection capability is broken beyond repair.

Like it or not, the guns and magazines are already out there, in the millions. Pandora's box has been opened.

Unless your wish is to place innocents at the mercy of despicable and deranged murders, it's time to consider the wisdom of a well armed population, and physical security that denies access to helpless victims.

Please, be reasonable, do not punish the law abiding well armed citizen, so that they are more likely to be victims of well armed criminals.

Today's installment. I've been sending several from my phone, at least once a day. Harder to paste them here, but they are happening.

Keep up the pressure, the finger in the wind test says Harry Reid told Barry that his win on this is not worth Harry's position as majority leader of the Senate.

We might just win this fight.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:05   #111
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustate View Post
Trust me, even if you do not receive a response, your message is being received and counted.

Keep it up.
Old 01-23-2013, 18:08   #112
PVolk

Finally got my first reply today. Classic cookie-cutter, pro-control one at that...

"Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear–complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator"

Cooking up a reply right now that would more than likely fall upon deaf ears.
Old 01-23-2013, 18:12   #113
frank4570
Feral human

I just sent a letter to a Va piece of crap who tried pass his own little AWB, luckily he was shot down.
That piece of crap Biden is visiting Va very soon to push his anti-gun agenda.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:17   #114
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
Finally got my first reply today. Classic cookie-cutter, pro-control one at that...

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator"

Cooking up a reply right now that would more than likely fall upon deaf ears.
One piece of advice my father gave me in high school until I was sick of hearing it, and pushed it out of my head, was...

Always count your rifles before you go into battle. Find out how much support you have before you stick your neck out leading the charge.

OK, so at 17 I didn't get that, and thought he was just lecturing. I have had several of what I call "Mark Twain" moments since then.

Supposedly, he once said something similar to this.

Quote:
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
Your senator is counting her rifles on both sides, and looking out for her own best interests. Don't let the guy quoted in my sigline write his rep more than you write yours.

The Okie Corral
Old 01-23-2013, 18:20   #115
skinny99
Crew Chief

I received this one today.
Please do not reply to this e-mail. If you need to send another message to Senator Nelson, please use the form on his Web site: http://billnelson.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm#email

Dear Mr. Morgan:

Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

I am a hunter and have always owned guns, and I support the Second Amendment.

But assault weapons such as AK 47s are intended for killing, not hunting.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety, access to mental health services, and confronting a culture that sometimes glorifies violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. And, I support universal background checks so that we can know if person buying a weapon has a criminal record.

I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm
Old 01-23-2013, 18:28   #116
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I just sent a letter to a Va piece of crap who tried pass his own little AWB, luckily he was shot down.
That piece of crap Biden is visiting Va very soon to push his anti-gun agenda.
Write him/her/it daily. The bean counters are busy on this one. The politicians are watching the public reaction very closely.

If you are heard, you have an effect, maybe just a small one.

If you are not heard, you have a profound effect, in the wrong direction.

Now is not the time to be apathetic.
Old 01-23-2013, 18:41   #117
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Write him/her/it daily. The bean counters are busy on this one. The politicians are watching the public reaction very closely.

If you are heard, you have an effect, maybe just a small one.

If you are not heard, you have a profound effect, in the wrong direction.

Now is not the time to be apathetic.
Understood. I just used your tool to send another batch.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:44   #118
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1466676

This got buried in new threads
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:44   #119
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
Understood. I just used your tool to send another batch.
Much thanks, keep it up. It's a good thing to work on the things we can agree upon, and do that well.

Old 01-23-2013, 19:29   #120
PVolk

Quote:
Your senator is counting her rifles on both sides, and looking out for her own best interests. Don't let the guy quoted in my sigline write his rep more than you write yours.

The Okie Corral
My reply is already in her inbox and it won't be my last message to her.
Old 01-23-2013, 19:55   #121
Dan88Iroc

I just wrote my officials again. I am sure they are sick of hearing from me but I will continue to be heard.
Dan88Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 19:59   #122
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

On January 16, 2012, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes, and to create new tools for further background checks.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 22:54   #123
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Might I suggest that we also write to the house leadership as well?

I'm writing now to Boehner & Cantor.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25   #124
uncledoodoo

I got this back from John Cornyn

Dear Mr. and Mrs. uncledoodoo:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
uncledoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26   #125
MacNobody

I have written several times. Not most peoples' several times. I have written daily using that link and the one on NRA website for the last month or five weeks. I have missed a few days, but they are going out. I have a daily reminder setup on my iphone even!

:D
MacNobody is offline   Reply With Quote