Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47   #26
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
So, I know that a lot of people say they are contacting their reps, but aren't. And a lot of people just need a little nudge to get there. A lot of people aren't sure what to wright, and I'd like to help all three of those groups get on board.

Governor Cuomo's outrageous recommendations is a trial balloon. Make no mistake, everyone is watching what the public reaction will be. If it is lukewarm, or they find that people are actually for that, you can bet the farm that Barry and Friends will make very similar federal rules, including all the end runs around congress they can imagine with executive orders.

So, I thought that this could be a place to share what you are sending to your reps, which will give you motivation to make a daily submission, and maybe serve as templates for others that aren't sure how they want to phrase their correspondence.

Here is my submission today:

Please read the sig line, don't let that guy contact congress more often than you do.

Much thanks,

The Okie Corral
Mine still haven't responded to me so I'm guessing you probably don't want to use my letter as a template.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53   #27
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Mine still haven't responded to me so I'm guessing you probably don't want to use my letter as a template.
I doubt that many are read, but they are all being categorized and counted. I have a legislative trip planned in February, gonna go to Washington and see if I can make some appointments to talk to some staffers. Last time, got to see my Congressman in person.

They pay attention to numbers.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00   #28
floorburn_21
.40 ftw

I still haven't got any responses to mine.

Dear xxx

In the aftermath of the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, I want to make it abundantly clear that Americaís gun owners expect that you will respect and defend their Second Amendment freedoms in spite of the hysteria surrounding this issue. Any attempts to pass new Federal gun control legislation will be remembered none too fondly on election day. I have decided that I am now a one-issue voter. I do this because Iím a law-abiding citizen who is tired of having his rights stripped away by those who are ignorant on the subject. Those that take the time to study the issue of "gun control" know that when the right to self-defense is restricted from lawful citizens, crime increases in those areas. Criminals do not obey the law. If they did, they would not be criminals.

I want to be perfectly clear here. Elected officials and political candidates who support ANY form of restrictive gun control WILL LOSE MY VOTE. Please do your part to cast out the flawed concept of "gun control.Ē You must understand that we will no longer tolerate the infringement of that which "shall not be infringed."

For the sake of perspective, I will point out that the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapons" ban was originally passed in a Democrat-controlled Congress by a very slim margin and by a slightly larger margin in the Senate.

The result; In the 1994 national elections, three months after passage, the Democrats lost nine seats in the Senate and 54 seats in the House. There is no denying that gun control, specifically the "Assault Weapons" ban, was a very large part of why the Democrats lost the House for the first time in 50 years. Former President Bill Clinton once even estimated that voting for the ban cost 20+ Democrat Representatives their seats.

Please understand that our frustration stems from years of incremental erosion to our constitutionally acknowledged personal freedoms. Any attempts to further weaken our right to keep and bear arms will be viewed as a rejection of our nationís founding principles, and as a betrayal of the millions of American gun owners who work, raise families, pay taxes, and most importantly, vote.

Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate a reply in order to learn your position on this very important issue.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38   #29
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

OK I did it! I used the Congress.org link. This is what I sent. Short but sweet.

"No new firearm laws that infringe on the lawful. It should be obvious that posted "gun free zones" do not work as intended. Though I don't like the idea of licensing a right, a concealed weapons license should be valid for anyone, anywhere such as a teacher in a school. Please don't waste my tax money on buybacks and/or other ideas that fit the "must do something" mantra. Not only am I a registered voter, I do vote."

Will post their response.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53   #30
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
I'm getting responses, mostly canned ones, but the messages are being counted.
I only got two responses and they were just canned thank yous that came through that night.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56   #31
NickC50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorburn_21 View Post
I still haven't got any responses to mine.

Dear xxx

In the aftermath of the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, I want to make it abundantly clear that Americaís gun owners expect that you will respect and defend their Second Amendment freedoms in spite of the hysteria surrounding this issue. Any attempts to pass new Federal gun control legislation will be remembered none too fondly on election day. I have decided that I am now a one-issue voter. I do this because Iím a law-abiding citizen who is tired of having his rights stripped away by those who are ignorant on the subject. Those that take the time to study the issue of "gun control" know that when the right to self-defense is restricted from lawful citizens, crime increases in those areas. Criminals do not obey the law. If they did, they would not be criminals.

I want to be perfectly clear here. Elected officials and political candidates who support ANY form of restrictive gun control WILL LOSE MY VOTE. Please do your part to cast out the flawed concept of "gun control.Ē You must understand that we will no longer tolerate the infringement of that which "shall not be infringed."

For the sake of perspective, I will point out that the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapons" ban was originally passed in a Democrat-controlled Congress by a very slim margin and by a slightly larger margin in the Senate.

The result; In the 1994 national elections, three months after passage, the Democrats lost nine seats in the Senate and 54 seats in the House. There is no denying that gun control, specifically the "Assault Weapons" ban, was a very large part of why the Democrats lost the House for the first time in 50 years. Former President Bill Clinton once even estimated that voting for the ban cost 20+ Democrat Representatives their seats.

Please understand that our frustration stems from years of incremental erosion to our constitutionally acknowledged personal freedoms. Any attempts to further weaken our right to keep and bear arms will be viewed as a rejection of our nationís founding principles, and as a betrayal of the millions of American gun owners who work, raise families, pay taxes, and most importantly, vote.

Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate a reply in order to learn your position on this very important issue.
Thats a good one. About to use that for my next round of emails.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59   #32
tarpleyg

This the second response I have received in about 2 months of sending e-mails and making phone calls. Oddly enough, both responses were from Kay Hagan. Nothing from Richard Burr or David Price. Price is no longer my rep as of about a week or two ago. They're afraid to choose a side as you can clearly see from Hagan's response below.

Quote:
Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the horrific tragedy that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue, and my thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and families of this senseless and appalling act of violence.

In the wake of the shooting in Newtown, which left twenty-six innocent members of the community dead, many of them young children, Americans across the country are searching for answers on how we can prevent such tragic events from happening in the future. I believe we must do all we can to put laws and policies in place to prevent future tragedies such as this one. Doing that will require a common-sense debate on a comprehensive approach that examines all relevant issues, including access to firearms, mental healthcare, and the prevalence of violence in video games and media. As always, it is important that we not unnecessarily infringe on the legitimate Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners.

Like you, I have always been an advocate for Second Amendment rights. My family, like the great state of North Carolina, has a long tradition of hunting and gun ownership, and I take great pride in that heritage. During my tenure in the North Carolina Senate I continuously supported the responsible use of firearms. As your United States Senator, I will always be committed to protecting these fundamental, constitutional rights.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns. If you would like to stay informed on my work in the Senate, you can sign up for my e-newsletter, follow me on Twitter at @SenatorHagan, or visit my Facebook page.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 15:26   #33
PVolk

E-mail just sent to:

Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) NRA rating unknown
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) NRA rating: F
Representative Fred Upton (R-MI 6th) NRA rating: A
Old 01-10-2013, 15:38   #34
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
E-mail just sent to:

Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) NRA rating unknown
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) NRA rating: F
Representative Fred Upton (R-MI 6th) NRA rating: A
Go ahead and share what you sent, it may help someone else that is trying to figure out how to say it.

The first draft is always the hardest. We can help each other in this way.
Old 01-10-2013, 15:54   #35
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Go ahead and share what you sent, it may help someone else that is trying to figure out how to say it.

In the interest of helping out, here is what I sent through congress.org. The only response I've gotten so far is an automatic thank you from Mary Landrieu D-La.

Quote:
As a member of the voting public who helped to place you in office, I want to make clear that I do not support, in any fashion, further gun control legislation. Additionally, I expect that the officials I helped to elect will reflect my opinion and act to oppose any such law.

Some members of our government and the media are harnessing the high level of emotion in the wake of a national tragedy to further their political goals. I find their actions to be reprehensible. Please do not allow yourself to be associated with those morally bankrupt representatives. Keep in mind when making any decisions about upcoming gun control legislation that I, and many others who share my values, will remember who voted to limit our abilities to defend ourselves and our families and will enthusiastically support their opposition at the next election.

Respectfully

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." - JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 16:07   #36
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
In the interest of helping out, here is what I sent through congress.org. The only response I've gotten so far is an automatic thank you from Mary Landrieu D-La.
Much thanks. It's a mentoring process.
Old 01-10-2013, 16:51   #37
NickC50310

Thanks Woofie! Thats a good one too. I just sent 3 of my state congressman and our two senators the one I quoted above. I will be using yours next time.
Old 01-10-2013, 16:55   #38
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Quote:
Much thanks. It's a mentoring process.
Constructive criticism for the next draft is appreciated.

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Old 01-10-2013, 16:57   #39
PVolk

Quote:

I didn't have the time to come up with my own text today at work, so I borrowed the text from post #18.

I like Woofie's text. I'll probbly borrow it for next week's email.
Old 01-10-2013, 16:59   #40
xtreme99
What's a Glock?

Message sent to the following recipients:
Representative Sinema (D)
Senator McCain (R)
President (D)

I copied one of the letters here. I will write my own later on and send that soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 16:59   #41
debbert

I used floorburn_21's letter as a template, and made changes to make it less confrontational. Here is what I sent:

Message sent to the following recipients:
Representative Joyce
Senator Brown
Senator Portman
President
Message text follows:

debbert
address
address

January 10, 2013

[recipient address was inserted here]

[recipient name was inserted here],

I want to make it abundantly clear that America’s responsible gun owners
expect that you will respect and defend their Second Amendment freedoms in
spite of the hysteria surrounding the Sandy Hook shooting in Connecticut.

Legislation born of emotional response has never yielded anything more
than punishing law-abiding citizens for the horrific acts of a
statistical, twisted few.

I’m a law-abiding citizen who is tired of having his rights stripped
away by those who are uneducated on the subject of firearms and their many
uses. Those that take the time to study the issue of "gun control" know
that when the right to self-defense is restricted from lawful citizens,
crime increases in those areas. Criminals do not obey the law. If they
did, we would have no use for jails, and we would all be living happily in
the Utopia that so many people try to create by legislating morality.

The so called “assault weapons” ban of 1994 did not yield measurable
results either way, and it didn't prevent the Columbine massacre, or the
West Hollywood shootout. Furthermore, the rifles that are being banned
are used in less than 2% of gun deaths annually.

Additionally, Dianne Feinstein’s arbitrarily chosen magic number of ten
rounds in any firearms magazine is irresponsible and could potentially put
many innocent lives in danger. Police officers carry more than ten
rounds, and they do it for a reason. Ten rounds are not always enough to
ward off an attacker, especially if there is more than one attacker. If
there is good enough reason for the police to have more than ten rounds in
their gun, there is also sufficient-enough reason for me to have more than
ten rounds to defend myself or my family.

Simply put, there are enough laws on the books with regard to guns.
Enforce the laws that we already have (including locking up career and
repeat criminals), and gun violence will be decreased. Please do your
part to cast out the flawed concept of "gun control.” You must
understand that gun owners will not tolerate continued infringements on
our rights.

Please understand that our frustration stems from years of incremental
erosion to our constitutionally acknowledged personal freedoms. Any
attempts to further weaken our right to keep and bear arms will be viewed
as a rejection of our nation’s founding principles, and as a betrayal of
the millions of American gun owners who work, raise families, pay taxes
and, most importantly, vote.

As my representative, I expect you to abide by the Constitution that you
were sworn to uphold when you took office. The right to bear arms shall
not be infringed, and I expect your vote on any gun-control legislation to
reflect that Constitutionally-mandated statement.

Respectfully,
debbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:10   #42
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Thanks Woofie! Thats a good one too. I just sent 3 of my state congressman and our two senators the one I quoted above. I will be using yours next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
I didn't have the time to come up with my own text today at work, so I borrowed the text from post #18.

I like Woofie's text. I'll probbly borrow it for next week's email.
I'm glad you guys liked it. Since it passed muster in GNG I think I'll share it on Facebook for general use if any of my family and friends are interested.

Old 01-10-2013, 17:37   #43
NEVRL8T

I used a template from one of the many other threads and emailed my reps/senators/congressmen. It has been over a week and not a peep from any of them. It's quite disconcerting to since I live in a very pro-gun state.
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:38   #44
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I'm glad you guys liked it. Since it passed muster in GNG I think I'll share it on Facebook for general use if any of my family and friends are interested.
The Okie Corral
Old 01-10-2013, 17:48   #45
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

My congressman is much better than my senator

December 29, 2012

Dear Bruno,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as well as gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, a gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and began shooting teachers and students before taking his own life. This horrific tragedy took the lives of 27 people, including 20 children seven years of age and younger. As a mother, I'm horrified and stunned by the senseless violence against innocent children and teachers.

This tragedy has led to renewed and important discussions about gun control, which is often a divisive topic in our nation. The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes. I am also supportive of closing the gun show loophole and making sure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns. Finally, it is equally clear that we must reconsider the mental health services available to our citizens, knowing that each mass shooting our nation has experienced involved individuals with substantial mental health problems. "Obamacare" will expand important mental health coverage when it is implemented in 2014. Protecting our children and our citizens will require us to come together to find real solutions that cover a broad range of factors that have contributed to these horrific incidents.

I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. Weapons designed primarily for the use of soldiers to kill people in war are not used in hunting and can be reasonably limited without jeopardizing any rights under the Second Amendment. I believe the horror of the Newtown shootings makes clear that we must get to work protecting our communities and our children from mass slaughter, while also protecting our Second Amendment rights. I am hopeful that the National Rifle Association, a significant voice in this discussion, will be a constructive part of this dialogue.

Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms. In the past, I have voted to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms. I also supported an amendment to a spending bill that would prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have opposed other inappropriate measures, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.

As your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, my prayers are with the students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary, and with their families. All Americans are outraged at senseless and criminal gun violence no matter where they may fall in the debate on guns in American society. A renewed national conversation has begun and we must all be a constructive and open-minded part of it. There is middle ground here, where this nation can come together with sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens, while we continue to respect our Constitution and its Second Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

Dear Bruno:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticu t and the potential legislative responses currently being considered by Congress . I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Mere words are not enough to describe the grief I feel from the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary school. The lives of twenty beautiful children and six brave adults were taken far too soon; a parent should never have to bury their child. I know I share the sentiments of every American during this tragic time.

Upon taking office, I swore an oath to support and defend the Cons titution of the United States. As such, I am committed to preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guar anteed by the Second Amendment. The shootings at Sandy Hook should not be used to promote an infringement on our Constitutional rights. In a free society like ours, it is an unfortunate reality that the government cannot prevent every evil and tragic event from occurring.

Semi-automatic firearms were introduced more than a century ago. They account for about 15 percent of the more than 250 million privately-owned firearms in the United States, and are used for the same purposes that other firearms are, including self-defense, hunting, and recreational and competitive target shooting. The term "assault weapons" is a general one used by the media and anti-gunners to intentionally blur the line between fully automatic firearms, which have been banned since the 1930's and semi-automatics, which are common and popular firearms.

It is my position that we do not need to enact another assault weapons ban. Evidence and FBI crime statistics have shown that the first attempt at a ban in 1994 did not produce any noticeable reductions in crime rates, which were already trending downward before the ban was enacted. More focus should be placed on the laws currently in place and on our nation's mental health system.

Our founding fathers included the Second Amendment in the Constitution in order to ensure citizens could defend themselves against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and we must never forget or compromise this right. Please know that I will fight the Administration and my colleagues in Congress at every turn in their attempts to restrict law-abiding American's right to purchase and own guns.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please feel free to call my office at (202) 225-7041 should you have any further questions or concerns about this or any other issue, or visit my website at http://graves.house.gov for more information.

Sincerely,

Sam Graves
Member of Congress

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE

Last edited by itisbruno; 01-10-2013 at 18:05..
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:26   #46
RonS

I am writing to express my absolute opposition to any new infringements of the Second Amendment. While the media pretends that limitations on firearm ownership will result in reduced violence, anyone who has studied the history of gun control and history in general knows that this is a lie. The world is full of very violent nations with very strict gun control. In all cases, when a government disarms its peaceful citizens the purpose and result is not to reduce violence. Crime may be the excuse, but the reason for gun control is always to disarm a population for political purposes. At the very least law abiding citizens are deprived of the means to defend themselves and their families against criminal violence as we have seen in Britain and Australia. In the worst cases disarmed citizens become the prey of rogue factions in society, not infrequently criminals operating under the protection of, or actually within, the government as seen in Mexico and Columbia.

While some people do not view firearm ownership, the right of self defense and our history of self reliance and individual liberties as anything other than historical oddities, for many of us they define our nation and our relationship with our government. If the Constitution is not respected by our elected officials, if the rights of the individual are not sacrosanct then I must consider the possibility that the government has forfeited the legal and moral right to govern. Contrary to Nancy Pelosi's assertion, America is not a winner take all democracy, the rights of a single person are as important as those of any faction, however large; otherwise no one has rights, only permissions granted by whatever faction happens to be in the ascendance at the moment.

It is painfully obvious that the Obama administration is paying off its political debts to the far left with the blood of innocents. To use the recent acts of violence to push for further infringements on the Second Amendment is revolting. The people who committed these heinous crimes are exactly the kinds of people who were willing to go to any extreme to perpetrate terrorist acts. To pretend that removing firearms from the hands of the law abiding would prevent criminals from killing is absurd, all were obsessed enough to go to extremes of effort to carryout attacks on the innocent. These kinds of people will use bombs, poisons, knives, motor vehicles or any means that they can imagine to gratify their need for notoriety.

I call upon every elected official in America to stand up to the Obama administration and their lies and manipulations of the recent tragedies by refusing to be bullied into passing laws that are illegal and unconstitutional infringements on the rights of the peaceful citizens of the United States.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:10   #47
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I'm proud of you guys.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:23   #48
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

Quote:

I'm proud of you guys.