GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:05   #226
Mr T

My perspective, as someone who has never been in the military, is that i have worked with a many ex-military in the past in both security and in the medical fiield. And I usually don't like working with them. On a rare occation I will come across a guy that is there to do their time an go home. Seems that some, as an example, (the longer they were in the military, the worse they are) like playing mental games. Saying/doing different things to different people in order to cause strife and taking advantage of the situation in whatever their masterplan is. Or indirectly attacking their fellow employee's self esteem or self image, because that ex-military type feels he/she is much better at that task or corporate position. I have to be on guard in that I dont misjudge someone just because they are ex-military. With that being said, maybe there are people you work with that have had some of those experiences and naturally (and incorrectly) are thinking that you MUST be
playing head games because of your confidence or conduct. Sometimes confidence is inappropriatly misread as arrogance. Food for thought. Best wishes to you Glock 20, as you introspect. I hope you have not found this post offensive.

Last edited by Mr T; 01-14-2013 at 12:36.. Reason: additional thoughts
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 13:44   #227
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

I get intimidated just opening this thread.

***backs out slowly and finds the cancel subscribe button***

"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 14:51   #228
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

"Whimpifucation Classes" Bawahahaha. I'm gonna have to mention this to my Logger friends.
Old 01-14-2013, 15:17   #229
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by varget View Post
Broke Back, Texas only approves of men's jeans with the zipper in the back. The "feminizatin" of males makes me sick.
They are also required to wear a belt with their name emblazoned on the back so the Okies will know who they are....oh never mind.
Old 01-14-2013, 15:18   #230
countrygun

I think it's his lunchbox that does it,

The Okie Corral
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 15:21   #231
dixietoo

While I find this incident shocking, I'm not totally surprised by it.
I am a man, too. I my first career was as a chef. My education was all on the job, and part of that was a 7 year apprenticeship. Successful restaurants are run by strong personalities of both sexes. Though I may have been naive when I started, after 3 years of assisting in running the kitchen, I had a very strong personality.
So for the past 10 years or so I have been TV producer which also calls for a strong personality. I find it easy to get people to do what I, or they, want to get on film. But inevitably, some folks find me a bit pushy or curt because of my confidence in my ability. This doesn't happen often,(obviously if it did I wouldn't still be at it!), but i do try to size up clients by listening to them carefully.
Anyway, I forgot the point I was trying to make- I doubt seriously if there are more than 1 or 2 people who are intimidated by you at your workplace enough to complain. At liberal school there are probably more than a few among the faculty who may be a bit put off by your service aspect, but I bet there are a whole lot more there who are impressed by your past whether they know any facts or not.
I thank you for your service and hope you don't find the weirdo classes to ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2013, 15:46   #232
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I think it's his lunchbox that does it,

The Okie Corral
How did you find my lunchbox!?!?!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 13:41   #233
Dakotaota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
My perspective, as someone who has never been in the military, is that i have worked with a many ex-military in the past in both security and in the medical fiield. And I usually don't like working with them. On a rare occation I will come across a guy that is there to do their time an go home. Seems that some, as an example, (the longer they were in the military, the worse they are) like playing mental games. Saying/doing different things to different people in order to cause strife and taking advantage of the situation in whatever their masterplan is. Or indirectly attacking their fellow employee's self esteem or self image, because that ex-military type feels he/she is much better at that task or corporate position. I have to be on guard in that I dont misjudge someone just because they are ex-military. With that being said, maybe there are people you work with that have had some of those experiences and naturally (and incorrectly) are thinking that you MUST be
playing head games because of your confidence or conduct. Sometimes confidence is inappropriatly misread as arrogance. Food for thought. Best wishes to you Glock 20, as you introspect. I hope you have not found this post offensive.
Its kinda strange how different life experiences give individuals different perspectives. I find myself typically anoyed by many non-military folks...
Old 01-15-2013, 14:02   #234
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

I have to say this may turn into the epic thread of 2013!
Old 01-15-2013, 17:38   #235
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
I have to say this may turn into the epic thread of 2013!
Not likely.
Old 01-15-2013, 17:41   #236
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Not likely.
Party pooper!
Old 01-15-2013, 18:12   #237
holesinpaper

Has the OP been fired yet?
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:22   #238
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holesinpaper View Post
Has the OP been fired yet?
Not yet... at least they haven't told me. Man... I hope I don't end up like that poor sod in Office Space!
Old 01-15-2013, 18:55   #239
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaota View Post
Its kinda strange how different life experiences give individuals different perspectives. I find myself typically anoyed by many non-military folks...
I think this scene pretty much nails the difference. Most corporate people live in a delusional fantasy world.

Old 01-15-2013, 23:03   #240
Sulfur

If you end up like the guy on office space well buy you a new stapler!
Sulfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26   #241
railfancwb

Too sexy for your shirt?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46   #242
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I think this scene pretty much nails the difference. Most corporate people live in a delusional fantasy world.

A Few Good Man "You Can't Handle the Truth" - YouTube
The "delusional world" corporate people live in is far from fantasy. Income statements and balance sheets published every month show what kind of job the corporate types are doing.

Their ain't no place to hide when the financials come out, bud. Shareholders see the numbers. Board members see the numbers. The investing public sees the numbers. This is 'reality' up close and personal.

You may be watching too much TV.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 01-16-2013 at 06:47..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47   #243
Dakotaota

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post

A Few Good Man "You Can't Handle the Truth" - YouTube

Good timing...HAHAHAHA
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10   #244
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
I get intimidated just opening this thread.

***backs out slowly and finds the cancel subscribe button***

I agree. I have seen people who are intimidated because of Blacks with "dreads". I have seen people who are intimidated because of "Long hair", or "shaved heads:. But I do see people who are just "intimidated".
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13   #245
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaota View Post
Strange, those wives of people in the military don't feel the same way.

Last edited by John Rambo; 01-16-2013 at 09:13..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56   #246
New23

I suggest you consult with an employment law attorney to see what your rights and risks really are. There's a lot of bad info "out there" so go get some of the good stuff.
New23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20   #247
rangerabn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
But with this new bit of info I will be stepping up my search for a new job. But I ask myself... will it be any better anywhere else I go?
Maybe, but not likely. I have worked at typical large corporation for 18 years, and was recently told the same thing, that I intimidated some people because of my knowledge, confidence, and height. I am just a little over 6 ft. tall, an aging grandfather who is noted for his calm and nice demeanor.
Go figure. Many of the men (and a few women) who work here also have commented on the general "wussification" of our male workforce, especially the upper management types. Seems you can't get promoted around here unless you are one of the "girls". Sad, sad, sad.
rangerabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 15:26   #248
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
The "delusional world" corporate people live in is far from fantasy. Income statements and balance sheets published every month show what kind of job the corporate types are doing.

Their ain't no place to hide when the financials come out, bud. Shareholders see the numbers. Board members see the numbers. The investing public sees the numbers. This is 'reality' up close and personal.

You may be watching too much TV.
Actually, Bud, I have been doing product management in Silicon Valley for over twenty years. The largest financials I ever handled was for an account that generated $44 million a year in revenue for my company. They left shortly after I did.

The type of fantasy that I am talking about is the delusional personalities who think that they have a great deal of power and charisma. When these people retire or are laid off, then reality comes crashing in as they realize that their success and perceived power were all an illuison propped up by their temporary corporate status. That job which causes them to refer to the corporation D'jour as WE, is not part of them. It is on loan, for as long as they can cling to it.
Since America has lost something like10 million jobs to China and India, I think a lot of corporate types need to do a reality check.
Old 01-16-2013, 15:35   #249
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
That is definitely reality, but I guarantee you that when someone starts shooting at you or otherwise trying to kill you it gets way more "up close and personal" than that.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 01-16-2013 at 15:36..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 16:30   #250
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Well... here is the first course I have to attend...

Find What Works; Build From There

Description and Notes
Below are the details about this activity including activity description, user notes and instructor notes.

Description:
In this interactive workshop, we’ll examine the causes of workplace negativity and focus on how to build a healthier and more respectful work environment. Learn tools and behaviors to help you build bridges and maintain positive working relationships.

In this session, participants will:

• Identify components of workplace health develop a plan for improvement
• Practice assertive communication behaviors that demonstrate respect
• Learn how to apply effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills