SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2013, 17:19   #1
haydenBJJ

Springfield Armory XD40 vs Glock 23

THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD.....

I know based on the name of the forum that im posting this in that i will not get a truly unbiased response, but i would still like to try.

Backstory: Two months ago i bought a new XD40 brand new. i have put about 100-150 rounds through it, and love the gun. Even prior to doing a bunch or research i new that Glock made an excellent gun, but they were out of stock everywhere, so I bought the XD.

Fastforward to last week, i bought another toy (for concealed carry), a new G26. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Glock. I reallllly wish now that i had a G19 (for mag compatibility) or a G23 instead of the XD, even though im definitely happy with the XD.

Sorry for the long backstory, but i said all that to say, how does the XD stack up compared to the GLOCK in you guys opinions? Anyone own both the XD40 and the G23?
haydenBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:30   #2
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

The XD and and Glock are both really good guns. Both are reliable, both are more accurate than most shooters.

I tend to like the Glock a bit better in the .40 but only in the Gen 4 guns. The Gen 3 and older Glocks don't fit me as well as the Gen 4 guns do.

I don't really care for the back strap safety on the XD and for me, the Gen 4 Glock feels better in my hands.

You won't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10   #3
haydenBJJ

thank you for the feedback. Anyone else? I figured since the two guns were quite similar, that there would be a huge amount of input, but i guess not.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25   #4
OhMyGlock

I just sold my XDM for a Glock 23c.

I'll loved my XDM until I bought my Glock 27.

I'm not a fan at of Springfield triggers. I've shot several and they aren't my cup of coffee. To upgrade a Springfield trigger is about $125-200. A Glock upgrade is $25 and five minutes of time.

I really wanted XS sights on my XDM but refuse to send away a pistol for any length of time. However I installed XS sights on my Glock in about 15 minutes. Just tap out the cheesey plastic sights and your good to go!

Plus one for Springfield on their magazines. I had an easier time taking apart my XDM mags. Glocks are way too solid. The base plate is a huge issue for me. You shouldn't need a vise to take a mag apart.

So if you want a stock gun then buy a Springfield, however if you want a gun to customize, go Glock.

In God and Glock we Trust
OhMyGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either (if I had to buy a Glock in .40, it would be the 22), but I would still take a Glock over an XD or XDM by a mile.

Parts are cheaper and easier to get, the gun itself is easy to work on, and mags are (well, pre-panic) cheap and plentiful.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37   #6
bac1023

I slightly prefer the XD's trigger and ergonomics.

I really prefer the XDm's Ergos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49   #7
ditto1958

Hickok45 over on YouTube has several Glock vs. XD videos up. He does some pretty thorough comparisons.

He is honest about his pro-Glock bias, but he pretty much just loves guns. You can generally get an excellent idea of how good or bad a gun is from watching him.

Last edited by ditto1958; 04-07-2013 at 07:49..
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Hickok45 over on YouTube has several Glock vs. XD videos up. He does some pretty thorough comparisons.

He is honest about his pro-Glock bias, but he pretty much just loves guns. You can generally get an excellent idea of how good or bad a gun is from watching him.
I've always liked his videos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03   #9
Black&TAN

If you love your XD, you made a good choice!

I own a G23 and have owned an XD9. Personally, I prefer the internals of the Glock, less parts, better designed IMO.

When my XD was purchased, was looking for an affordable polymer framed pistol with some unique features. While fairly accurate out of the box, didn't develop liking for the factory trigger. New shooters introduced to the XD didn't take to it as well either, in compare to Glock.

Resale value is also stronger with Glock, from what I've seen.

sent via Tapatalk
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36   #10
Beretta92guy

the XD40 service model is my CCW gun......i switched from a glock 27.....i know this is like opening up pandoras box, but it was because of ejection problems i was having with the 27.......

the XD40 has been flawless, after 1000 rounds now, i also have an XDm 45/4.5" that is damn near perfection too......

the XD series gets a bad rap because it is not carried by LEO, which Glock, Sig and Smith pretty much have a strangle-hold on.........Springfield does not really pursue the LEO market, they are more geared toward the civilian market of shooting sports......

a few of the gripes about the XD are the "roll pin issue", which i have not encountered with either of my guns, and the "grip safety", which some people do not like......with regards to the grip, you would have to be gripping it like a baseball-bat to not activate the safety....a non-issue, like on a 1911......even if a roll pin does break, it takes about five minutes to replace it, just like changing a glock trigger spring, striker, etc....

the trigger is no better/worse than a glock, imo.....neither of them are "target" triggers, but for self-defense they are more than adequate.........

i really like the XD line, they run great....and they don't blast me in the face with brass....
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05   #11
capnjim01

XD40 vs Glock

XD40 vs Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenBJJ View Post
THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD.....
Like you I bought an XD40 because I couldn't find a Glock and the XD was priced right. I had a G22 and it was a little easier to cock, the grip fit a little better but not enough to be a deal breaker, I like the Glock magazine better it was easier to load. I like the Xd enough that it has become my EDC I'd buy another looking for a XDM .45 now.
I know based on the name of the forum that im posting this in that i will not get a truly unbiased response, but i would still like to try.

Backstory: Two months ago i bought a new XD40 brand new. i have put about 100-150 rounds through it, and love the gun. Even prior to doing a bunch or research i new that Glock made an excellent gun, but they were out of stock everywhere, so I bought the XD.

Fastforward to last week, i bought another toy (for concealed carry), a new G26. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Glock. I reallllly wish now that i had a G19 (for mag compatibility) or a G23 instead of the XD, even though im definitely happy with the XD.

Sorry for the long backstory, but i said all that to say, how does the XD stack up compared to the GLOCK in you guys opinions? Anyone own both the XD40 and the G23?
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40   #12
haydenBJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
the XD series gets a bad rap because it is not carried by LEO
Funny you say that, the LEO guys in my town actually carry XD's
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47   #13
ctfireman

I own both & like both. I like the XD trigger & ergos better. I like the glock slide serrations & lack of grip safety. Both awesome & both get carried & shot at the range.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47   #14
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
The XD and and Glock are both really good guns. Both are reliable, both are more accurate than most shooters.

I tend to like the Glock a bit better in the .40 but only in the Gen 4 guns. The Gen 3 and older Glocks don't fit me as well as the Gen 4 guns do.

I don't really care for the back strap safety on the XD and for me, the Gen 4 Glock feels better in my hands.

You won't go wrong with either one.
I have to agree 100%. The safety annoys me......not needed.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 23:38   #15
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

If I had only the two to choose from, I would go with the Glock 23.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57   #16
countrygun

I have a Glock 22c and a 20, Springfield XDm .45, XD Tactical .40 and XDs.

Of the 2 .40s I much prefer the XD tactical. Mine may be a fluke but I has the best trigger of any of the striker fired autos I've owned or shot and so far is noticeably more accurate, across the board than the Glock. Not that there is anything bad about the Glock accuracy, but given the choice. The XDt is also more comfortable in my hand.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56   #17
Palouse
Lifetime Membership
The Resistance

While not a 40, I own or have owned an XD in 9mm, an XDM in 9mm and a 19. Every now and again, the XD would have feeding problems, but only with reloads for competition. Not so with either the XDM or the 19. I like that I could shoot lead without having to buy an aftermarket barrel in the XDM. If between the 23 and the XD, I'd go with the 23. If between a 23 and XDM, it'd be a tossup.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30   #18
lndshark

I'm a police officer that is issued an XD40 Service. As others have said, it has great ergos and a nice feel. From a ruggedness standpoint, and reliability, I haven't been very impressed. Armoring the XD isn't as simple as a Glock nor are parts as readily available (or economical). Ours have had feeding issues, corrosion, and the like.

It's a nice gun to shoot (not as nice as a DRS-equipped Gen4) and I like some of the features. From a "work gun" though, I don't have 100% faith in the gun. I'm in the process of transitioning the entire department over to G17's/G22's.

Just one guy's $.02...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47   #19
oppi27

^^^^. I feel about the same. My brother in laws XD Is picky on what ammo he can feed it. I can throw anything in the glock and it just keeps going bang.
oppi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:37   #20
tuica

I own both. Prefer XD's hand fit. But six ounces heavier than a Glock makes it second choice for all day carry. Cheers.