Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 16:08   #1
Jim1970
Learnin'

Website versus a blog?

Hello,

I'm about to launch my own business, and I'm struggling with finding a domain name that isn't already taken. While researching ways to get a good domain name (that matches my business name), I stumbled upon an article that talked about how blogs are a hot new thing. After some reading, it appears that a blog site would allow me to do many of the same things a website would allow, notably: (1) have new content (assuming I'm writing new stuff!), and (2) have a place where customers can reach me. I believe I can also post videos and links to Facebook, Twitter, etc. With that said, I'm kinda confused about the differences between the two, and why one is more appropriate than the other.

Can anyone here with experience in this realm comment - is a blog a good way to go, or do I need to take the time and money to find and own a domain, then use that to create a website?

For the record, I'm an organizational psychologist and executive coach. My business does not have a traditional store front. The web presence is essential to my business model, so it must look sharp and work very well.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 19:58   #2
GlockFanWA

This is my website, it is a Wordpress Blog
http://www.combatingviolence.com/

And how to do it:
http://en.support.wordpress.com/usin...ate-a-website/

Last edited by GlockFanWA; 01-08-2013 at 20:00..
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:20   #3
Jim1970
Learnin'

GlockFanWA,

Thanks for your response, and thank you for sharing your link. I checked out your page, and found it to be clear, concise, to contain valuable info, and to be user friendly.

How difficult was it to set up?

How difficult is it to maintain?

Does Google find you ok?

And, the big question: any tips or tricks to get the domain name to be what you want it to be?

Thank you again,

Jim

Last edited by Jim1970; 01-08-2013 at 20:22.. Reason: To add info
Old 01-08-2013, 20:26   #4
kc8ykd

if you are a legit business and i found you via google or whatever and landed at a blog vs. your own domain and site, i'd never interact with you, ever. i'd go to someone in the field with a real site and their own domain and never look back.

your own domain and a real site make you look legit and not some fly-by-night company (assuming you have a decent site).
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:29   #5
Jim1970
Learnin'

kc8ykd,

I appreciate your response, but I'm somewhat confused by your comments. I visited the blog of the gentleman who shared his link, and it has a domain name that matches his business name, yet it's a blog. It appears to me that the two can be synonymous.

You are saying the domain name and business name should match, is that correct?

Jim
Old 01-08-2013, 20:36   #6
kc8ykd

domain is different than the content that's connected to it.

so, you have a domain name, the whatever.com/net/us/etc..

the site itself, be it a blog, an actual website, a forum or some other form of content is separate.

the combination of a domain (www.yourbusiness.com) and a blog, looks like you're not a serious business.

the combination of a location that isn't tied to a domain, like yourbusiness.blogger.com, and any kind of content, looks shady.

your best bet, is going to be a domain (sometinglikeyourbusinessname.com or .us or .net) and a legit site (and not a blog)

also, your domain and business name don't have to match, but they should be relevantly connected to each other.

for example, domain names shouldn't be super long.

if your company name is 'i do stuff for money, inc.' www.idostuffoformoneyinc.com is really hard to remember and people aren't going to pay attention to it.

if your shorten it to 'www.idostuff.com' people are more likely to remember and visit that. also, when you tell people your email address over the phone, it'll be much much easier to explain than the long version (and looks a ton more legit than using a yahoo or gmail account for your business).

also, one thing that peevs me, is companies that don't have an "about" page, with a phone number and at least a city and state.

when i order stuff, i need to know where it's coming from so i can evaluate shipping times and costs. at least let me know where you're at and give me a way to call.

Last edited by kc8ykd; 01-08-2013 at 20:41..
Old 01-08-2013, 20:46   #7
Jim1970
Learnin'

Kc8ykd,

Ahhh, gotcha. Thank you for elaborating.

I was thinking that the blog site could replace a website - you are suggesting that a website superceeds a blog site, but that at blog site should be (or could be) connected to the website.

Couldn't a blog site have all the same stuff and accomplish all the same things? Like the one shared in this discussion: http://www.combatingviolence.com/?

I'm really new to this stuff, so if I'm missing your point, please be clear with me!

Jim
Old 01-08-2013, 20:52   #8
kc8ykd

in my opinion, a site (with or without a blog) is more legit.

if you want to look professional, get a real site.

if you have a site, with a blog, or even just a blog, update it as it's a communications medium that's meant to be used that way.

you update people read. if you don't update it, nobody will view it since they're expecting dynamic contents. a normal site is generally static content (but not always). but, static content is accepted.

if you have a blog and never update it, or update it infrequently, then people will think you're lazy or don't care.

i don't mean to single combatingviolence.com out, but, when i visit a blog, i'm expecting to read a blog that has content that changes, frequently.

i'm there looking for what products are new and upcoming, tips, whatever.

when i see the static site, i'm looking for product/service lines, link to the blog, contact information, support, etc.

caveat:
i consider myself an informed consumer and fairly 'internet savvy'. i was an ip network engineer for a tier 2 ISP for 10-ish years and am now an operations manager for a non-tech company.

i do a lot of research before i buy services and products, professionally and personally. i also carefully evaluate the companies i work with and part of that process is evaluating their internet presence (or lack there of).

Last edited by kc8ykd; 01-08-2013 at 21:03..
Old 01-08-2013, 21:44   #9
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1970 View Post
I was thinking that the blog site could replace a website - you are suggesting that a website superceeds a blog site, but that at blog site should be (or could be) connected to the website.

Couldn't a blog site have all the same stuff and accomplish all the same things? Like the one shared in this discussion: http://www.combatingviolence.com/?
Yes it can, but the one you linked is a horrible example, imo. The layout is awful and I'd fire whoever made that for my business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 00:29   #10
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I'd say make a regular website and have a blog section. Just a blog seems lazy to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00   #11
prism
more ammo

go to godaddy's expired domain auction site. http://auctions.godaddy.com

search for a few words that fit your business type or business name.
even if you don't see the perfect domain, the results can give you more ideas.
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57   #12
Toyman

Jim, first we need to clarify some terms. A blog is a website. A blog is nothing more than a website with specific layout. It typically has some entries (posts) that are arranged in a chronological order.

Most blogs are implemented using a content management system (CMS) that is put on the website. It's basically just a series of scripts that generate the webpages on the fly and let you administer it via the website, just like GlockTalk does when you view forums or write or reply to threads.

Most of the blog CMS's that I know of also have the option of having separate static pages for content, such as "About us", "Services", "Contact us", etc.

Some blog CMS's also allow the primary "home" page to be one of the static pages instead of the blog page such as you see with your combatingviolence.com example.

Regardless of whether or not you want a blog section, you can use a blog CMS to create and manage your website pages.

If you don't know HTML, a CMS might be a better option.

I've set up many WordPress blogs, both for personal and for businesses, but my primary job is writing software that is used to build web pages.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17   #13
GlockFanWA

Quote:

Does Google find you ok?
Hardest part was getting Wordpress installed, which wasn't very hard. Updating is just like updating any other blog, again easy. Based on the number of times I have to change my password due to hacking attempts (no breaks, account autolocks after three fails) someone is finding me. There are SEO tools you can use to increase search hits, all plugins within WP.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20   #14
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
Yes it can, but the one you linked is a horrible example, imo. The layout is awful and I'd fire whoever made that for my business.
Since I did it myself and I don't get paid firing myself wouldn't accomplish much. Works for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59   #15
Toyman

Quote:

Does Google find you ok?
Many of the hosting providers where you would be hosting your website have control panels that can automatically install it for you. (Such as NameCheap)

Maintaining it is not hard.

Wordpress and other CMS systems have plugins that can aid in SEO. Google won't have any problem finding it, just like any other website.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:28   #16
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFanWA View Post
Since I did it myself and I don't get paid firing myself wouldn't accomplish much. Works for me.
Woops sorry, I thought you were linking one you saw, not yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:51   #17
ThinkMud

You can use WordPress (free open source). Install it on your web hosting server, and have a site and blog if you need. or Just a site.

I'll PM you more info.... I do this all the time for people

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:11   #18
mixflip

I have a blog I built on blogspot.com

I later changed the URL to a .com instead of "name.blogspot.com". Its still a blog but it uses a traditional web address for my business cards.

I also built a website for free on webs.com. You can build it for free and later upgrade to the higher end features as you go including registering a domain name etc etc.

I did it as a hobby but you can set up a fully function a e-commerce website for free if you want to. Its not high end but it was a great learning experience. The website turned out pretty good looking too for a free site.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34   #19
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hello!

Thank you for all the replies and helpful ideas. I should have been more clear - I understand that a blog is a type of website - I should have asked about types of websites - my bad. However, the info shared his is still useful to me.

I was thinking about using WordPress due to the cost, and because I could do most of it (probably all of it) myself. I don't know HTML, but I enjoy using computers, so I figure I can handle it.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 16:54   #20
Jim1970
Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I have a blog I built on blogspot.com

I later changed the URL to a .com instead of "name.blogspot.com". Its still a blog but it uses a traditional web address for my business cards.

I also built a website for free on webs.com. You can build it for free and later upgrade to the higher end features as you go including registering a domain name etc etc.

I did it as a hobby but you can set up a fully function a e-commerce website for free if you want to. Its not high end but it was a great learning experience. The website turned out pretty good looking too for a free site.
Very cool - thank you!

Would you feel comfortable sharing the address so I can go look at it?

Thank you,

Jim