SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:23   #1
Aeroscoper

Gun ban coming to a town near you....

Can anyone confirm or deny this? And please cite references, not emotionally driven dismissives such as " that could never happen", or such.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-seeks-...ontrol-treaty/
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, … The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” – Nathan Meyer Rothschild
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37   #2
fastbolt

Really?

You like to get your "news" from the folks who write for Conspiracy Planet & Occupy Corporatism?

Have you bothered to actually read the proposed UN treaty the many times links to it have been posted in various "the sky is falling" threads?
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42   #3
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

The NRA-ILA webpage on that topic doesn't mention such details as are mentioned in the article, but I have every confidence it's entirely possible.

It's crucial we help elect a strong, pro-2A congress this November, or it's going to be a rough ride.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:53   #4
cowboy1964

Uh, this UN small arms treaty has been talked about for quite awhile now. What it's exact effects would be are a little murky but the treaty itself is nothing new or secretive. I don't think some of the points in the article are correct (like it "bans" semi-autos) but I could be wrong.

But regardless, it's not going to happen.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-16-2012 at 11:54..
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54   #5
DonD

According to the American Rifleman, another letter signed by some 57 Senators was sent to the Obozo administration warning it not to try to make any anti gun treaties with the UN.

We do need to remain vigilant and vote for pro 2nd Amendment Representatives, Senators, governors and judges but I do think there is a lot of distrust of the UN by a large majority of the US and not just on 2nd Amendment issues.

It's hard to view the UN as anything but a world wide platform for dictators and other third world scumbags to inflict their views on more civilized nations. Don
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00   #6
WarEagle32

Seems like fairly biased and one sided news reporting to me!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00   #7
Aeroscoper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Really?

You like to get your "news" from the folks who write for Conspiracy Planet & Occupy Corporatism?

Have you bothered to actually read the proposed UN treaty the many times links to it have been posted in various "the sky is falling" threads?
Apparently you didn't see the portion of my post where I asked to refrain from "emotionally driven dismissives", or you don't know what that means.

Nevertheless, I like to get my information from anywhere there's something to be gained, and if I'm not sure of the veracity, I like to post it on sites where I trust the discernment level by certain inviduals.

If you don't have anything to constructive to add, with sources to cite, then don't complain when they come a knockin'.
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, … The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” – Nathan Meyer Rothschild
Old 06-16-2012, 12:03   #8
Aeroscoper

Here's a story from Forbes saying about the same thing, maybe coming from a more "reputable' site might lend some credibility to those suffering normalcy bias to a blinding degree:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...rs-up-in-arms/
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Obama can sign a UN gun ban treaty all he wants - it has zero legal weight until ratified by congress, which will not happen.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:45   #10
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroscoper View Post
Apparently you didn't see the portion of my post where I asked to refrain from "emotionally driven dismissives", or you don't know what that means.
I didn't consider my response to be anything remotely resembling an "emotionally driven dismissive". I have neither an "emotional investment" in the topic, nor did I dismiss the topic itself.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I like to get my information from anywhere there's something to be gained, and if I'm not sure of the veracity, I like to post it on sites where I trust the discernment level by certain inviduals.
How do you decide whether there's "something to be gained" from any particular source? Some "news sources" might not have the veracity of the supermarket tabloids, you know.

Also, how do you determine the "discernment level" of anonymous folks who participate in internet forums? Sometimes shared hysteria, paranoia & promoting rumor-mongering may be less than helpful. Rumors fly faster than the speed of reason.

If you take the time to do some online research, you can find some info which might quell some of your anxieties. You might start with the NRA's info ...
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...de-treaty.aspx

Notice the part about the "prepares to draft" for later this year?

Quote:
If you don't have anything to constructive to add, with sources to cite, then don't complain when they come a knockin'.
I've heard any number of folks stridently predicting "they're coming for our guns!!!" since I was a teenager after the gun control act in '68. After 40 years, it's palled a bit.

Granted, some of the fear-mongering being bandied about may provide some folks with a vicarious thrill (as can detailed discussions about preparing to repel an invasion by hostile non-terrestrial alien forces), but until some proposed treaty is finalized and the details are released, it's just another uptick in the last 40 years of periodic "the sky is falling" episodes.

I spent a career in LE, working in CA, but talking with cops from all over the US, and from some foreign countries.

Maybe we ought to wait and see if there's anything to get excited about before running to the bunkers?

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-16-2012 at 12:51..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53   #11
JBnTX
JB in Tx

No, it's not!
Not in Texas, not in a million years.
Old 06-16-2012, 13:29   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

So nothing can happen until the Obama and the Democrat Senate approve it.

You don't see any problem with this possibility do you.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 06-16-2012, 13:35   #13
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

No, it's not!
Not in Texas, not in a million years.
Just like the gun ban of 1994 didn't effect Texas.
Old 06-16-2012, 14:03   #14
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
So nothing can happen until the Obama and the Democrat Senate approve it.

You don't see any problem with this possibility do you.
As I'm looking 60 years of age in the face, I've come to find that looking for problems out on the horizon, over which I have no control, and which have yet to materialize in any concrete form, can sometimes make me miss the ones right in front of me.
Old 06-16-2012, 14:53   #15
captdreifus
aSun666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
Just like the gun ban of 1994 didn't effect Texas.
Zing!!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 15:10   #16
poodleplumber

(1) The US has not signed the treaty.
(2) The treaty regulates international shipment of firearms, not possession of arms by private parties.
(3) Even a signed treaty has to be ratified, which will generate a huge amount of public debate.
(4) Treaties cannot supersede the US Constitution even if ratified. The Supreme Court has spoken clearly on this in Reid v Covert.

Try snopes.com?

Last edited by poodleplumber; 06-16-2012 at 15:10..
Old 06-16-2012, 15:19   #17
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Obama can sign a UN gun ban treaty all he wants - it has zero legal weight until ratified by congress, which will not happen.
Treaties only have to be ratified by the Senate, and don't be so cocky about what a lame duck Senate filled with bitter defeated Dems might do after the election.
Old 06-16-2012, 15:21   #18
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
As I'm looking 60 years of age in the face, I've come to find that looking for problems out on the horizon, over which I have no control, and which have yet to materialize in any concrete form, can sometimes make me miss the ones right in front of me.

I'm 73 and I've learned to ignore the possible worst case make you more eligible for it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 06-16-2012, 15:56   #19
Philo Beddoe

For anyone to deny that a gun ban or outright gun confiscation isn't possible, is to be naive and to ignore this nation's history.

I personally think we pro-gun/pro-2A folks are going about this in the wrong way. Rather than to hope and pray that the clown in the office doesn't find a workaround to thwart Congress and make guns illegal, 2 things would be more effective:

1. All LEOs should join and support Oathkeepers. and;
2. We as a community should draft a letter to Congress that lets them know in no uncertain terms that we consider our RTKBA to be one of the unalianable rights endowed by our Creator, and thus we will not recognize any legislation or UN treaty that attempts to take away that right.

Let Congress know that they can change the laws all they want, but unless they're willing to engage in some epic bloodshed, it aint happening!

Last edited by Philo Beddoe; 06-16-2012 at 15:58..
Old 06-16-2012, 16:02   #20
Philo Beddoe

Quote:

Maybe we ought to wait and see if there's anything to get excited about before running to the bunkers?
Isn't that a little like waiting for the intruder in your livingroom to actually pull his trigger before you decide if he's serious or not?

Closed Thread