Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 21:10   #1
Durden

My Chinese Made Pardner Pump Defender Is AT LEAST = to Buddy's Remmy 870

We took turns alternating between his mostly stock 870 and my Defender on Saturday.

He and I both agree that the Defender (that I purchased new for $169) is at least equal to, and in some ways (such as thicker, heavier build quality) better than, his 870.

I realize this is not that detailed or technically oriented, but wanted to throw an anti-TL;DR something out there based on a real life and recent outing with some scatterguns.

I appreciate value, which to me does NOT equate with "cheap," but rather has to do with getting relatively high levels of quality at a relatively lower cost than competing goods offer, and I can honestly say that the Defender is one of the best "value" buys I've ever had the good fortune to make.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:47   #2
aptrpl6
Detached Member

I own both and I have to agree. The first thing that I did after I purchased the Pardner was to completely disassemble it and I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy it was. It kills me to even think this, but did the Chinese do a good job on this one?

Carolina Glockers 13666
aptrpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:52   #3
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptrpl6 View Post
I own both and I have to agree. The first thing that I did after I purchased the Pardner was to completely disassemble it and I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy it was. It kills me to even think this, but did the Chinese do a good job on this one?
Yes.

In the competition to provide value to customers, may the best product win.

The Defender has been rock solid in terms of reliability and is built like a tank.

Being an American, I'd love to be able to purchase nothing but 100% American made products, knowing that they represent the best value (again, from a quality and value perspective), but sadly, this is not possible at present.
Old 01-07-2013, 22:57   #4
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Thicker parts is sometimes a compensation for poorer materials (or at least uneven material quality) and simplifies manufacture.

I'm not saying that's the case, but there may be a reason the Chinese felt the need to beef it up.

I had an engineering professor who said the most amazing thing about Russian Engineers was that their designs worked - even after being built by Russian factories. American designs assembled in Russia just wouldn't have worked.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357

Last edited by Texas357; 01-07-2013 at 22:59..
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:52   #5
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Thicker parts is sometimes a compensation for poorer materials (or at least uneven material quality) and simplifies manufacture.

I'm not saying that's the case, but there may be a reason the Chinese felt the need to beef it up.

I had an engineering professor who said the most amazing thing about Russian Engineers was that their designs worked - even after being built by Russian factories. American designs assembled in Russia just wouldn't have worked.
I, admittedly, am not a metallurgist, and I did not use a micrometer, but FWIW, I'd be legitimately surprised (maybe shocked) if the metal the Defender is made with is of lesser quality or is less consistently uniform in thickness than the 870.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13   #6
engineer151515

I remember when people made fun of "Made in Japan" too.

China's quality control is improving. There are some areas still lagging, but the differences are catching up or exceeding US manufacturing capabilities. For instance, 70% of the worlds ocean going tankers were built in South Korea, Japan or China. Not the USA. Some of the beloved "Craftsman" tools - yup. Say "made in Taiwan".

I could list many more examples.

Last edited by engineer151515; 01-08-2013 at 06:14..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18   #7
JFrame

I recall on some forum -- it may have been this one, or THR, a few years back -- some fellow claimed to have bought an NEF Pardner pump and a Remington 870 Express with the sole purpose of cutting them up and having his dad (a metallurgist) test the quality of the metals.

The findings that were returned were that the steel on the Pardner's receiver was slightly superior to the Remington, while the results were slightly the opposite for the barrels (I may have that reversed -- but I think that's how it went).

Of course, this is totally anecdotal "information" just thrown in for discussion. From a practical standpoint, I've never had a reason to regret the purchase of my Pardner -- and a friend liked his so much, relative to value, that he bought a second one.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15   #8
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Remington's quality has taken a major dive in the last few years. I have an 870 Wingmaster 30" fixed full choke from the 70s and it is of impeccable quality. My 2 year old 870, not so much.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28   #9
skew12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
Remington's quality has taken a major dive in the last few years. I have an 870 Wingmaster 30" fixed full choke from the 70s and it is of impeccable quality. My 2 year old 870, not so much.
This is what I've seen in a few 870's. though it shouldn't be the case. This gun should get better with time and new improvements. Seems like remington is taking advantage of the 870's noteriety.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54   #10
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
I, admittedly, am not a metallurgist, and I did not use a micrometer, but FWIW, I'd be legitimately surprised (maybe shocked) if the metal the Defender is made with is of lesser quality or is less consistently uniform in thickness than the 870.
I'm not suggesting that, I'm saying that sometimes manufacturers will beef up a design when they expect material quality may vary, i.e. sometimes it won't be as good. It allows them flexibility in sourcing raw materials when the specs aren't as exacting. Not a bad thing, just a different design philosophy.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29   #11
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
This is what I've seen in a few 870's. though it shouldn't be the case. This gun should get better with time and new improvements. Seems like remington is taking advantage of the 870's noteriety.
It's probably due to the parent company being more interested in profit margin than quality products. Same for Marlin DPMS, etc.

Last edited by Travclem; 01-08-2013 at 12:33..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:39   #12
FH Alum

China can make a very good firearm, lets be honest copying a proven design with modern CNC machines is not that tough. What are some of the best AKs and SKS? (besides true Russian or Arsenal) Norinco.

I have the Chinese 870 marketed as the "Hawk"-its the same thing you are looking at. I used a gift card and a sale to pick one up a couple of years ago new for $100. I got it as a lark and have really tried to flog the beast but it just does not stop. It has thousands of rounds and hardly looks worse for wear. It has great ghost ring sights and parts such as the trigger guard that on an express would be plastic are metal. The exterior parkerized finish is tough and the action has really smoothed out. It hurts the pride that this gun is not crap but if you can get over the politics I don't know of a better value out there.
Old 01-08-2013, 19:25   #13
K.Kiser

I grew up with 870's, and the whole extended family for the most part had them... The older ones are super slick, full-on worry free solid guns built for the long haul... I wouldn't buy a new one, no way... They are junk, and it hurts my soul to admit that the classic and legendary 870 is now extinct... Something made from compressed crap has taken it's place..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:17   #14
aippi

No it is not. So two shotguns are loaded and laying on the table and you have to go out the door and fight for your life. One is an 870 and the other a China Clone of the 870, Which one will you pick up? I rest my case about that equal to an 870 BS you posted.

Also, answer this question. Why would Remington import a weapon equal to their best selling model and sell it for so much less? Waiting for your answer.
Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 01-08-2013 at 23:18..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57   #15
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Also, answer this question. Why would Remington import a weapon equal to their best selling model and sell it for so much less? Waiting for your answer.
H&R was importing the Pardner Pump/Norinco shotguns before Remington bought H&R. They have been very good sellers for H&R so why would Remington stop importing them?

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37   #16
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriagotagun View Post
H&R was importing the Pardner Pump/Norinco shotguns before Remington bought H&R. They have been very good sellers for H&R so why would Remington stop importing them?
I don't think it matters that the Pardner Pump is as well built as an 870 Express. I would add that it wouldn't matter if the Pardner Pump was substantially better in quality, fit and/or finish than the 870 Express. The fact that it is made in China, advertised as such and doesn't say Remington on the receiver demands a lower price in this country, at this time.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:32   #17
Lt Scott 14

Mine works well, not one issue. Rain, snow, cold, 3 hunting seasons now and keeps going. I don't fire 500 rds at a target, but it does what I want it to. Was going to buy another Rem 870, missed having one, but won't waste the money. Maybe will look at a Mossberg, they have a ton of models available.
Old 01-09-2013, 16:27   #18
countrygun

Quote:
Because there is a good profit margin in it?

Just a guess.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 18:03   #19
mr00jimbo

In Canada, you can get a Norinco 870 clone with a 12.5", 14" and ghost ring sights for around 350-400. The American-made 870 is a better gun, using what I suspect is better materials. The reason why the real 870 is more expensive is because Remington has to pay for things like liability, R&D, customer service, warranty, living wages for their employees, etc.
The Express model is not very well finished, but the 870 Police is the Cadillac of defensive pump-action shotguns.
I would use a Chinese clone to screw around with in the woods or on the range, but not if I needed it to defend myself against a bear.
Old 01-09-2013, 18:32   #20
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

China can indeed occasionally make some good guns.

If you're fine with sending money to the Chinese Communist party, be my guest.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 18:59   #21
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
China can indeed occasionally make some good guns.

If you're fine with sending money to the Chinese Communist party, be my guest.

I'm sure nothing in your house, vehicle or that you've purchased in the last month or so was made, assembled or contains parts from China.

- Sterling Archer

Last edited by Kilrain; 01-09-2013 at 19:00..
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:24   #22
Buffering
The Cooler

I'm sure the gun fires and will do so to meet the needs of a lot of users however I question the long term viability of gun that was designed to be a knockoff, of sorts.

I'm sure the occasional shooter, hunter or plinker will not exceed the capabilities of the gun however a serious student of HD/SD will typically fire off more rounds in practice and training in a month than an occasional shooter does in a year. For that reason I choose an 870.

We've all been into the 99 Cents Only store or something equivalent and as we browse their wares you undoubtedly have said, "Yeah, it's a (blank) alright however I wonder how long it would last if I used it." That's how I feel about these knockoff guns. Same way I feel about Davis, Phoenix or other cheaply manufactured guns.

I'll plink with anything so long as it's safe and in good working order but for long durability, reliability and my peace of mind I'd stay with the 870.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:59   #23
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Quite a bit of it is, and whenever possible, i still buy American/European.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:12   #24
Jeremy_K

The only complaint I have with my Pardner is that I have to jam the shells into the magazine tube pretty hard to get them in there. I think I could hone the spring/catch mechanism that holds them in the mag tube and it would help. I have a newer 870 Express with 28" VR barrel and I'm not impressed with the quality. The problem with the 870 is I can't unload the mag tube without pumping all of the shells out. The spring/ catch doesn't depress far enough to allow me to unload it.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 20:23   #25
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post

I'm sure nothing in your house, vehicle or that you've purchased in the last month or so was made, assembled or contains parts from China.
Proud to say, other than wallmart socks, nothing and I mean nothing in my house is from modern day China. I would bet money I don't have () on that.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote