Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 17:18   #1
spcwes

S&W 1006 NO NO's

Was messing with a disfigured index fingernail today trying to trim it up and figured I would share a "no no" thing to not do while cleaning a 1006 S&W. These weapons are built strong and like tanks and should be treated as such.

While using a small cotton swab on and around the extractor and extractor face cleaning bore cleaner off (while watching the news on TV) the slide slammed shut on my finger. The thought at the time that came to my mind was holy S**t I just hit my finger with a sledge hammer.

It was painful to say the least and it took a few minutes and a bit of cursing to get it off my finger as well and it caused an issue with how my fingernail grows so DON"T DO THE NO NO's with a 1006 S&W.

Also, thought you all might need a laugh at my expense so please enjoy!!
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 01-07-2013 at 17:19..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:07   #2
yellolab

yeah, I've NEVER done that!!

Kevin
yellolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:22   #3
countrygun

Speaking of surprises with a S&W da/sa auto,

Did you know, that (especially on the small 3rd gens 3913/908) if you rack the slide with the thumb safety/decocker in the "down" position using an overhand grip at the rear of the slide while cleaning the gun and watching TV, it is possible for the web of the operating hand to find its way between the falling hammer and the slide?

Did you know that it is possible to say "George Carlin's "seven words you can't say on TV' in less than 2 seconds?

Did you know that some wives find it hilarious ?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:47   #4
DRJ1911

Many years ago I had just bought my first mini 14 and was cleaning and just trying to figure everything out. I saw a small button in the action and wondered what it did so i pushed it. That little sucker chambered my finger before I knew what was happening and I had a time opening the action. There was much blood and cussing and I still don't like mini 14's.

Doyle
DRJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40   #5
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Speaking of surprises with a S&W da/sa auto,

Did you know, that (especially on the small 3rd gens 3913/908) if you rack the slide with the thumb safety/decocker in the "down" position using an overhand grip at the rear of the slide while cleaning the gun and watching TV, it is possible for the web of the operating hand to find its way between the falling hammer and the slide?

Did you know that it is possible to say "George Carlin's "seven words you can't say on TV' in less than 2 seconds?

Did you know that some wives find it hilarious ?
Oh yea, I can understand that. The tip of my index finger where the meat meets the nail has a permanent reminder of my herp derp moment. And yes my wife actually was scared she had no idea what the hell just happened. I jumped up out of my chair with this giant stainless steel weapon attached to my finger and cursing and what not. Then she sees that it is still attached to my index finger and starts to laugh until she sees the blood. My fingernail was black for a month! Telling you guys, there are a few firearms in this old world you don’t want to have try and chamber a digit this is one of them lol.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 01-08-2013 at 08:41..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15   #6
G29SFWTF

so this was you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEsw...utu.be&t=1m33s

sorry couldn't resist. Get well soon man.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Well I enjoyed that round of pain you guys suffered...I never caught my hand ot finger in my10xx series guns though since March 1990.
I use a set of forcepts to hold my cleaning patches as I clean mine, it allows for me to get in tighter/deeper spaces.

I do remove my slide to clean and re-oil mine, but in doing so, the 22 lb or 24 lb recoil spring from Wolff Gun Springs and the recoil can travel extreme velocities and distances if not held onto during disassembly or reassembly. One day the recoil spring and rod shot accross the kitchen, just missed the china cabinet and placed a nice witness mark on the sheetrock wall.

Also a dropped magazine hitting a vinyl floor can cut a nice witness mark in that too!

I am supprised I haven't gotton my left hand pointer finger with the S&W because everything else has...split the finger using a handsaw when I was younger, nicked the tip on a table saw but the last and worst injury to that finger was working a side grinder at full speed with a "special blade" to cut welds off an aluminum 4"x4" post. As I was working the weld grinding it down, I dropped my pointer finger down from the side handle which bumped the 4x4 causing the grinder's blade (remember I said "special blade" this thing wears to a razor sharp thin edge), to hit my finger! This happens so fast that the brain doesn't have time to react, or the mouth to spew the various foul words. I can say thet there was an open gash anot 1/4" wide and down into the bone form what I could see before the blood started to flow! I bandaged it up right away, and continued to work. Well it was healing up from the inside out, till about the 5th day fluid started pooling under the skin (water blister) on the undamaged side, thinking infection may have started to set in I decided to go to the doctor. Good news was it wasn't infected, and it was healing however the doctor let me know that I should have gone to the ER when it happened. There was some nerve damage because it cut so deeply, the nerves seem to be regenerating because now on very cold days it burns like its on fire! This let's me know that the finger is still there! He he he!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:30   #8
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SFWTF View Post
so this was you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEsw...utu.be&t=1m33s

sorry couldn't resist. Get well soon man.
I hurt I laughed so hard. Was probably spot on
Old 01-08-2013, 16:54   #9
jakebrake
cracker

i did that once with a colt. left index fingertip was almost half off.

that **** hurts.
Old 01-08-2013, 22:34   #10
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
Was messing with a disfigured index fingernail today trying to trim it up and figured I would share a "no no" thing to not do while cleaning a 1006 S&W. These weapons are built strong and like tanks and should be treated as such.

While using a small cotton swab on and around the extractor and extractor face cleaning bore cleaner off (while watching the news on TV) the slide slammed shut on my finger. The thought at the time that came to my mind was holy S**t I just hit my finger with a sledge hammer.

It was painful to say the least and it took a few minutes and a bit of cursing to get it off my finger as well and it caused an issue with how my fingernail grows so DON"T DO THE NO NO's with a 1006 S&W.

Could you please reinact exactly what you did this time with a camera running? I need a visual so I won't do it myself. It would be a public service.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 22:58   #11
countrygun

You have not lived until an M-1 has chambered your thumb.

In my defense, I knew better than to stick my thumb in there to depress the follower without the edge of my hand holding back the OP rod, BUT what I was unaware of was, that if you didn't pay enough attention you could hang the bolt on the edge of the bullet guide like a hair trigger mouse trap.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30   #12
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Could you please reinact exactly what you did this time with a camera running? I need a visual so I won't do it myself. It would be a public service.
If you watched that video posted above I would venture to guess it was spot on with my reaction. And yea Cowboy I freakin knew better to.
Old 01-16-2013, 21:27   #13
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post

Yeah, I've got a 1006 myself. Its a heavy duty pistol.

...hope your finger gets better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34   #14
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, I've got a 1006 myself. Its a heavy duty pistol.

...hope your finger gets better soon.
It happened years ago, my fingernail grows weird no and I have nice scar on the top that causes it to grow that way. Was just thinking about it and how I would love to have some of the old 10s back I use to. I miss that one and had always wanted the DOA model with the shorter barrel.

Was looking at my finger and had a laugh! Thought as funny as it is keeping someone else from making that mistake might be a good thing as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 13:16   #15
fallenangelhim
come get some

I feel my 4506-1 slide dropping on my finger all the time. I was racking the slide to check for clear and the hammer clipped my pinky.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The Kalashnikov Klub Member #1999
fallenangelhim is offline   Reply With Quote