Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 20:22   #1
opto_isolator
Extinct GOP

US armed forces oath of enlistment

According to the US armed forces oath of enlistment (which is outlined here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...thofenlist.htm), if our government legislates either via congress or executive order to confiscate firearms, is it not the duty of the armed forces to defend the citizens against the government?

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Last edited by opto_isolator; 01-05-2013 at 20:22..
Old 01-05-2013, 22:08   #2
nursetim

The "obey the orders" is the trick bag.
Old 01-05-2013, 22:32   #3
plouffedaddy

Also remember the Posse Comitatus Act and how it applies to each service...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 01-05-2013, 22:58   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Hmmm...I could have sworn that when I took the oath there was a mention of "lawful orders" and not just "order" alone.
Old 01-05-2013, 23:15   #5
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Interesting differences between enlisted and officer's oath. I was a Navy officer.

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
Old 01-05-2013, 23:16   #6
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Hmmm...I could have sworn that when I took the oath there was a mention of "lawful orders" and not just "order" alone.
Kinda how I remember it as well.

Our service members are not brainless zombies, they have the intelligence and morals to know the difference.
Old 01-05-2013, 23:21   #7
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Being that Obummer is NOT a U.S. citizen he is therefore NOT the president.

Besides, if it comes down to using our guns to defend our Constitution, it would behoove all military and LE to take our side and not his. There are 150 MILLION gun owners in America. Even if 1% of them take up arms against our treasonous government, there would be a MINIMUM of 1.5 million guns pointed at these traitors.

And what if NON-gun owners get involved and borrow a gun from a friend, neighbor, relative, etc.? Most gun owners own more than one... We could be talking about two to three million armed patriots!

That's a comforting thought.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 23:25   #8
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Even if he was born in Kenya or where ever, since his mother is a US citizen... isn't he?
Old 01-05-2013, 23:58   #9
PzGren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Jack View Post
Even if he was born in Kenya or where ever, since his mother is a US citizen... isn't he?
By the definition from 1790, yes, he is.
Old 01-05-2013, 23:58   #10
Ruggles

Quote:

Besides, if it comes down to using our guns to defend our Constitution, it would behoove all military and LE to take our side and not his. There are 150 MILLION gun owners in America. Even if 1% of them take up arms against our treasonous government, there would be a MINIMUM of 1.5 million guns pointed at these traitors.

And what if NON-gun owners get involved and borrow a gun from a friend, neighbor, relative, etc.? Most gun owners own more than one... We could be talking about two to three million armed patriots!

That's a comforting thought.

TGG
Yeah the guy is the POTUS rather I want it or not and rather you accept it or not
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10   #11
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Yeah the guy is the POTUS rather I want it or not and rather you accept it or not
I don't accept it.....and never will

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
Old 01-06-2013, 01:17   #12
Ruggles

Quote:
I don't accept it.....and never will

TGG
So if you wanted to mail big O a pictures of say your bare ass mooning him, you would mail to what address? 1600 something I think
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22   #13
cesaros

There is no trick to this...You don't follow illegal orders, no matter who gives them.

Its the individuals responsibility to refuse to obey illegal orders.

Its the Militias responsibility to protect The People from our standing military and Government. (wow! is that why the 2nd Amendment states that a Militia is necessary for a Free State?!)

Those who love to nit pick the wording and phraseology just to justify to themselves why they or someone else should comply with illegal orders....you're disgusting.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.

Last edited by cesaros; 01-06-2013 at 01:29..
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38   #14
cesaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
You're right, we only defend the United States and the Constitution against foreign and domestic enemies...UNLESS the president or our superiors tell us not to...

What the hell are you thinking...

I sincerely hope you're not a service-member.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20   #15
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto_isolator View Post
According to the US armed forces oath of enlistment (which is outlined here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...thofenlist.htm), if our government legislates either via congress or executive order to confiscate firearms, is it not the duty of the armed forces to defend the citizens against the government?

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
The UCMJ states "lawful orders" repeatedly.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22   #16
PzGren

Lawful orders depend on the interpretation of the Courts, when it comes to the U.S. Constitution, it depends on the Supreme Court. Weren't there some staff changes recently?

And who will decide which orders are lawful to follow? The soldier before his court martial?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46   #17
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
However those orders must be legal. I have spoken to a number of military personnel (mostly officers) asking them if they believed the military would carry out any orders issued by the president to confiscate privately owned firearms. They said that some would but most would not because it would be a violation of their oath AND an illegal order.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 01-06-2013 at 13:56..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37   #18
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
So if you wanted to mail big O a pictures of say your bare ass mooning him, you would mail to what address? 1600 something I think
just because he lives there doesn't mean he deserves to.

I could live in a monestary but that doesn't make me a monk :-)

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23   #19
nursetim

So, who is going to be the test case? Most would just follow the order the decision augmented by the info given to the troops. Will this info be complete or spun. I'm just saying y'all are putting an awful lot of faith in folks. What about the German soldiers ordered to imprison and kill their fellow countrymen? What makes them different from us? Were they manipulated by propaganda from their media? Naw, that couldn't happen here, right. I mean our media has a proven track record of unbiased reporting. No wait, reverse that. I just take human nature with a grain of salt. I feel safer that way. Don't fully trust a vast majority of people.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47   #20
SPIN2010
Searching ...

".... according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I would believe this is the real trick, if they conflict the UCMJ & the REGS ... no dice for me.

Whocares about the kenyan.

Closed Thread