Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 13:27   #1
a_tack

Best shotgun for a novice trap shooter?

Looking to purchase a semi-auto or an O/U for shooting trap. Have no more than $1300 out the door to spend.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:33   #2
Aceman

Remington 11-87

That said, I routinely smoke idiots with expensive vintage Brownings, Bianchi's, Benelli, and Berreta's etc...using a pump Mossberg 500.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:39   #3
a_tack

Funny you should say that, I me and a good friend of mine smoked a guy shooting trap yesterday. He had a beretta of some sort and a benelli super black eagle II. I had a Mossberg 500, my buddy was shooting a wingmaster 870. I consider myself a novice, but I have been shooting for years. I am just getting to the point where I feel the shotgun is starting to become the weakest link for me. Especially on doubles.
Old 01-06-2013, 16:59   #4
M&P Guy

It depends to some degree on which trap games you want to play. Single barrels favor singles and handicap, I started with a 3200 and it was a disadvantage for single bird events. If you want to shoot doubles, you'll need an O/U or Semi to be competitive. At registered events you'll see a lot of expensive guns, but you can be competitive with a Remington 1100 Trap gun for a long time before a Perazzi or Lujtic, etc, becomes a need for you.

The most important thing is to find a gun that fits you well, LOP and in the cheek.

If you have a local trap club, normally folks are very welcoming to new members and you may get the chance to try out a few rounds with a variety of guns before you commit your hard earned funds to a nice trap gun.

I mentioned the 1100 as a start, it can shoot all the ATA games and I used to shoot with some guys that had a squad record for doubles with 1100s some time ago.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7279,2294858

Last edited by M&P Guy; 01-06-2013 at 17:00..
M&P Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:04   #5
raven11

i agree with M&P Guy - I use a Browning Evolve Gold 12ga but its one of those purchases you have to go to a gunstore and try several shotguns until you get the perfect "feel"
Old 01-06-2013, 18:12   #6
a_tack

Thanks M&P Guy. I like shooting pretty much anything. I typically shoot an H&R Topper 20ga for singles and a mossberg 500 20ga or a Remington 870 12ga for doubles, but find myself short stroking the slide on faster moving clays.
Old 01-06-2013, 18:41   #7
ZombieJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Remington 11-87

That said, I routinely smoke idiots with expensive vintage Brownings, Bianchi's, Benelli, and Berreta's etc...using a pump Mossberg 500.

Doesn't that feel Great!
Old 01-06-2013, 19:20   #8
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

"Novice" has nothing to do with it. Get something you like, and are happy with. When you mature beyond your perceived "novice" status, you'll still be shooting the same shotgun.

Just because you are starting out, doesn't mean you can't buy quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and DOES NOT help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 19:56   #9
a_tack

I have always liked Remington 1100's. I think I can get an 1100 trap 12ga 30" for somewhere around $900. I like the idea of a side by side too though, but can't seem to find one I like under $1300. Benelli also makes a few semi-autos in that price range. What can you guys tell me about the 1100?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20   #10
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tack View Post
Looking to purchase a semi-auto or an O/U for shooting trap. Have no more than $1300 out the door to spend.
Get a decent Remington 1100 (<$500) and shoot the crap out of it. Once you have done that for 6 months and know what you want then if you feel the need, you can get a nicer shotgun fitted to you (getting the stock fitted to you is key to best results).

The 1100 will have less recoil and be more flexible in use than an O/U. Even if you decide to get a dedicated trap gun later, the 1100 will still have value for sporting/home defense use. If nothing else you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24   #11
sourdough44

I'd look to a Browning Citori, of course actually hitting something doesn't matter as to gun type.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39   #12
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
My advice is to find one that fits you and shoulders naturally, regardless of brand.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47   #13
Jim Watson

Stock fit is everything, action type is very little.
A gas operated auto will cushion recoil and make a 200 target day more fun.

When active in ATA I did my best shooting with a Remington 1100 TA, even though I threw money at the game and tried this and that. I owned at one time or another a pump, a single, and three O/Us; and tried out everything else I could borrow for a few rounds, but always went back to the 1100.

You might prefer something else. As said, shooters are helpful, get acquainted and you can try guns out.

Oh, by the way, the SxS is the one gun you will not see in serious modern clay shooting, they have dropped by the wayside in favor of the "single sighting plane" of the single, O/U, or repeater.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56   #14
TJ Superfly

If you just plan on using this gun to just shoot trap, then get an over-under with at least a 30" barrel and built in rise. This allows you to keep the target just over the barrel and the weight will help you swing through on the hard left and right sweepers. Don't switch back and forth with different guns either. Get used to one shotgun and stick with it regardless if it's a trap gun or not.
TJ Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:44   #15
Batesmotel

Remington 11-87 Premere Trap. It is an 11-87 with a trap stock and higher rib. Love mine.

Get the Full Trap, Extra Full Trap and Super Full Trap Chokes.

If you don't want your hulls hitting the ground there is a little clip that snaps on the ejection port to catch them.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:53   #16
Rleee

When I was a kid a neighbor took me trap shooting every week for an entire summer. The most popular gun there was the 870 Wingmaster. If you have your heart set on a semiauto I'd go with an 1100 or an 11-87.
Old 01-07-2013, 16:25   #17
a_tack

What do you guys think about the mossberg silver reserve series?
Old 01-07-2013, 16:35   #18
mnhogrider

Taurus Judge with the 6" barrel
mnhogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:35   #19
ignantmike

Quote:
What do you guys think about the mossberg silver reserve series?
check out the web site....shotgunworld.com.....a wealth of info there...
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:52   #20
Zonny

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3...rget-rl-12/26/

My first shotgun purchase and I'm very happy with it. Can see myself buying an O/U for ease of cleaning @ some point.

I'm shooting a round of Sporting Clays just about every weekend while the weather is nice. May, June & July? not so much.
Zonny is offline   Reply With Quote