Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:44   #1
Atlas
transmogrifier

Anyone use X-10 remote control for lighting, etc?

I have a friend I want to provide with some home automation, mostly lighting control.

I've been aware of X-10 for years, and understand the principal involved. I know what I want to accomplish and where to find the modules I need.

Has anyone here used X-10?
How reliable has it been for you?

Her home is older and I've been all through the wiring, so I know that it's not as neat or clean as it should be.
I understand some of the challenges invloved in getting reliable use of the X-10 standard to work reliably, but I wanted to hear from anyone with actual experience..

Thanks in advance.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 17:45   #2
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Yes - and I miss it.

My Windows Home Server failed to start after the recent move... thinking it's only the PSU, but it houses my Homeseer automation software

X10 proved to be more reliable than Z-Wave in my experience. I have used X10 in at least 4 different homes and apartments.

The big key to reliability for me seemed to be filtering noise producers - Heaters, Dryers, and all the electronics protection devices...

I have had to walk around turning off lamps for 2 months now, and it *sucks*...

I have noticed that my wife, who claims not to miss it, hasn't turned on a light in many days... Been getting kinda dark lately!!!

So - IMHO - X10 has been very good to me. I highly recommend Homeseer, but then again I purchased this over 10 years ago, and the price has increased. I have also used Smarthome for X10 and Z-Wave products.

Hope that helps you out!
Patrick
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54   #3
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Yes - and I miss it.

My Windows Home Server failed to start after the recent move... thinking it's only the PSU, but it houses my Homeseer automation software

X10 proved to be more reliable than Z-Wave in my experience. I have used X10 in at least 4 different homes and apartments.

The big key to reliability for me seemed to be filtering noise producers - Heaters, Dryers, and all the electronics protection devices...

I have had to walk around turning off lamps for 2 months now, and it *sucks*...

I have noticed that my wife, who claims not to miss it, hasn't turned on a light in many days... Been getting kinda dark lately!!!

So - IMHO - X10 has been very good to me. I highly recommend Homeseer, but then again I purchased this over 10 years ago, and the price has increased. I have also used Smarthome for X10 and Z-Wave products.

Hope that helps you out!
Patrick
That is very good to know, thanks for posting!

I'm in industrial automation design, so if I were automating my own home (I'm not presently a homeowner) I would maybe go a different way.

This is for a friend though, and I've been trying to get around to doing some lighting control for her for a while.
I had intended to hard-wire it all (it isn't a large home) but I just need to get some results and don't have time (yet) to do what I really want to do.

So, X-10 may be a good alternative.
Since I posted this thread I've done some more research and found the same thing you posted... some power-line noisemakers have to be filtered..

That's OK, as most of the (outdoor) lighting with which I'm concerned is all feed from the same circuit.

X-10 stuff is cheap.

Thanks again!

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 13:36   #4
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
I have had it in my house for 10 years. I had it loaded into my MS Computer until I went all MAC 4 years ago. I have one wireless receiver and 3 wireless 20 channel handheld transmitters. I also have the crossover module in the electrical panel to allow it to talk to both sides of my 240VAC feed. Works well.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 23:24   #5
kAr
Netware Rocks!

I'm slowly migrating from X-10 to Insteon for better reliability. But for the price, X-10 can't be beat if you are willing to mess around to eliminate interference.
kAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50   #6
Cashgap

I've been using WeMo's. http://www.belkin.com/us/wemo
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote