GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36   #51
MN-glock27
Senior Member
 
MN-glock27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN/IN
Posts: 248
Down about $15 a paycheck (weekly).
MN-glock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39   #52
ctfireman
Senior Member
 
ctfireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 3,620
$81 light (weekly pay). It really sucks.
__________________
GSSF & NRA member
"It's better to have a gun & not need it than to need one & not have it"

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46   #53
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
At this point, it is you employer making the changes. It is not related to the healthcare bill.
True, however they would not have made these changes, if not realigning itself for the changes due to the healthcare bill.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03   #54
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
maybe because mine have not, we have had the same provider for over seven years now, and the only difference we have seen has been a change in deductibles...
You don't grasp how insurance works, do you? You say you've had no changes, but your deductibles have (presumably) gone up. What that means, in case you don't understand, is that you are paying more now for less coverage.

The actual dollar amount may not have changed, but have no doubt, you are paying more than you used to. That's the way health insurance has worked for decades.


For the record, if you want to know why I feel so confident speaking about this stuff, working for the 4th largest health insurance company in the nation for 6 years gives me a different perspective than those that only see their card and, maybe, an open enrollment book once a year. And, yes, even working for the insurance company, my rates show increases year after year, too.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb

Last edited by WarCry; 01-05-2013 at 10:05..
WarCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11   #55
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
True, however they would not have made these changes, if not realigning itself for the changes due to the healthcare bill.
This is still not correct. In 2008 and 2009, WELL before the word "Obamacare" had ever been crafted, employers were trying to shrug off the burden of the healthcare for their employers. I can tell you that without doubt, because I'm the one that was fielding the calls when people were getting less benefits and being charged more because they - like most people, including the majority here - have no concept of how much control your employer has on your health coverage. What is covered, what isn't, that is NOT the insurance company making those choices.

If you get your insurance from your employer, you need to understand something - you DO NOT have an insurance plan of your own. You're not paying premiums based on yourself or even your family. Your EMPLOYER is the policy holder. THEY make the decisions on coverage, and they add employees under those plans. The insurance company charges the EMPLOYER for the plan. How the employer decides to break that down to their employees is completely and totally up to them.

In most cases, one of the services they pay the insurance company for is to NOT tell employees all of this. They pay the insurance company to handle the calls and NOT refer employees back to their boss. There have been times I was actually scolded by MY boss for telling an insurance member that their employer was responsible, because that employer was paying us to take the heat for them.

But, hey, what do I know, right?
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29   #56
rohanreginald
Novice
 
rohanreginald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Correct 100%
Now thats drinking the cool aid.

Taxes were lowered = tax cut

Taxes were then raised = tax increase

It doesnt matter what previous tax rates were. When taxes go up that is an increase in taxes. Keeping drinking the coolaid.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Anticipate stupidity and stop it"
rohanreginald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32   #57
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
What else changed in your check? Please take a look again and tell us.

The IRS has not issued any new tax tables so your payroll department shouldn't have made a change.
It's Obamacare. I got a notice, too, saying my health insurance was going up.

Thanks, Obama voters.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41   #58
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
You don't grasp how insurance works, do you?


Not many here do, nor do they know why their paychecks went down after the 1st.

My health insurance costs have been going up 15%-20% a year for the past 6 years or so as have everyone else's, long before 'Obamacare' was an issue.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49   #59
Jonesee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
True, however they would not have made these changes, if not realigning itself for the changes due to the healthcare bill.

Why is that?
There is no mandate or reason to change healthcare now.

What may be driving them is using Obamacare as an excuse to pass on their costs to the employees a bit earlier and put a little more profit in the bank. From a previous post you had it sounds like they revamped your healthcare insurance this year. Again, that is your employer doing that.

I am not supporting Obamacare. I am just seperating fact from fiction.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-05-2013 at 11:09..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59   #60
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,582
these increases are not a result of a free market adjusting its prices, they are a direct result of the federal government raising taxes.

insurance rates did not go up because of insurance, they went up because of the taxes on them.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 01-05-2013 at 10:59..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00   #61
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
I am not supporting Obamacare. I am just separating fact from fiction.
It doesn't really matter. I've been posting like this basically since ACA was passed, and the only thing that will happen is 1) you'll be ignored, or 2) if you're not ignored, you'll start being called a liberal, socialist, communist, whatever the flavor of the day is.

But it is nice to see that there are still a few other rational, thinking members on the board when it comes to this stuff.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10   #62
Jonesee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
these increases are not a result of a free market adjusting its prices, they are a direct result of the federal government raising taxes.

insurance rates did not go up because of insurance, they went up because of the taxes on them.

Cite your source.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14   #63
SGT HATRED
Senior Member
 
SGT HATRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 2,974
I'm down $20.08 for an 80hr check. Thanks obama!
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:23   #64
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
This is still not correct. In 2008 and 2009, WELL before the word "Obamacare" had ever been crafted, employers were trying to shrug off the burden of the healthcare for their employers. I can tell you that without doubt, because I'm the one that was fielding the calls when people were getting less benefits and being charged more because they - like most people, including the majority here - have no concept of how much control your employer has on your health coverage. What is covered, what isn't, that is NOT the insurance company making those choices.

If you get your insurance from your employer, you need to understand something - you DO NOT have an insurance plan of your own. You're not paying premiums based on yourself or even your family. Your EMPLOYER is the policy holder. THEY make the decisions on coverage, and they add employees under those plans. The insurance company charges the EMPLOYER for the plan. How the employer decides to break that down to their employees is completely and totally up to them.

In most cases, one of the services they pay the insurance company for is to NOT tell employees all of this. They pay the insurance company to handle the calls and NOT refer employees back to their boss. There have been times I was actually scolded by MY boss for telling an insurance member that their employer was responsible, because that employer was paying us to take the heat for them.

But, hey, what do I know, right?
You are making a lot of assumptions, being (I assume) you don't know who I work for. That being said, I'm trying to understand this, really understand. All i really know is the new policy we have sucks, and they are successfully blaming the new law, as you can see.

The new law should have mandated that all blame be put on GWB.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:27   #65
Jonesee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
It's Obamacare. I got a notice, too, saying my health insurance was going up.

Thanks, Obama voters.
Let me understand this clearly.
You are saying you received a notice that stated your healthcare costs were increased this year due to Obamacare?

Prove it.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:28   #66
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
I'm down $20.08 for an 80hr check. Thanks obama!


How in any way is it the President's fault your check went down??
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:31   #67
Jonesee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,242
Dup post

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-05-2013 at 13:32..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:30   #68
Glock Enthusiast
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,139
Why was the tax increased on hours worked before the reduction expired?

ETA:

Mine changed by 50 something every bi weekly check or just over $100 monthly.
__________________
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Glock Enthusiast; 01-05-2013 at 14:31..
Glock Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:37   #69
Beretta92guy
Senior Member
 
Beretta92guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
You don't grasp how insurance works, do you? You say you've had no changes, but your deductibles have (presumably) gone up. What that means, in case you don't understand, is that you are paying more now for less coverage.

The actual dollar amount may not have changed, but have no doubt, you are paying more than you used to. That's the way health insurance has worked for decades.


For the record, if you want to know why I feel so confident speaking about this stuff, working for the 4th largest health insurance company in the nation for 6 years gives me a different perspective than those that only see their card and, maybe, an open enrollment book once a year. And, yes, even working for the insurance company, my rates show increases year after year, too.
maybe you don't understand.....

the BOTTOM LINE for ME, is how much money i take home every two weeks.....are you with me so far????

my insurance premiums have not changed in the past several years.......deductible changes do not affect me unless i have to use my insurance for something...what DOES affect me is how much of my net take home pay is reduced by higher insurance and taxes......
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:42   #70
vettely
Senior Member
 
vettely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Where did you come up with that lie?
Last Friday Barack Obama caused quite a stir with his executive order that ended the freeze on wages for Congress and federal workers, giving them what amounted to an $11 billion pay raise. Among those getting more green was Vice President Joe Biden.
On Tuesday evening, the U.S. House of Representatives approved legislation that blocked the pay raise. The Hill reports,
The House approved legislation on Tuesday that would block a pay increase for federal workers and members of Congress scheduled to take place in March.
Members voted 287-129 in favor of the bill from Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.). Just two Republicans opposed the legislation, and 55 Democrats supported it.


Republicans brought the bill up under a suspension of the rules in order to allow for quicker consideration, although that move also required a two-thirds majority vote.
The bill is a response to an executive order last Friday from President Obama that would end the two-year federal worker pay freeze, and increase congressional pay by about $1,000 for each member of the House and Senate.


Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/01/th...#ixzz2H8iOI9cx
__________________
N.R.A. Life Member
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:42   #71
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Enthusiast View Post
Why was the tax increased on hours worked before the reduction expired?

ETA:

Mine changed by 50 something every bi weekly check or just over $100 monthly.


No taxes were raised. A tax reduction expiered.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:08   #72
Glock Enthusiast
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
No taxes were raised. A tax reduction expiered.
Hence the use of the word "increased" and the statement of "reduction expired."

Still interested in why it was increased on hours I worked in a pay period prior to it expiring.
__________________
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson
Glock Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:28   #73
Detectorist
Senior Member
 
Detectorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Robertsville, MO
Posts: 7,594
There are some expensive provisions (for insurance companies) in the Obamacare package which were mandated starting September, 2010. So how can anyone say that it had no influence on raising insurance rates?

Also, yes, SS tax is back to where it should be. It was a terrible idea from the start to screw with it.
__________________
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 01-05-2013 at 16:33..
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:31   #74
JMS
02
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
Last Friday Barack Obama caused quite a stir with his executive order that ended the freeze on wages for Congress and federal workers, giving them what amounted to an $11 billion pay raise. Among those getting more green was Vice President Joe Biden.
On Tuesday evening, the U.S. House of Representatives approved legislation that blocked the pay raise. The Hill reports,
The House approved legislation on Tuesday that would block a pay increase for federal workers and members of Congress scheduled to take place in March.
Members voted 287-129 in favor of the bill from Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.). Just two Republicans opposed the legislation, and 55 Democrats supported it.


Republicans brought the bill up under a suspension of the rules in order to allow for quicker consideration, although that move also required a two-thirds majority vote.
The bill is a response to an executive order last Friday from President Obama that would end the two-year federal worker pay freeze, and increase congressional pay by about $1,000 for each member of the House and Senate.


Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/01/th...#ixzz2H8iOI9cx
So my pay is still frozen in addition to getting a 2% cut like everyone else, so there was no raise. In March the most we were expecting was 1/2 of 1%. Congress would rather give up federal workers as sacrificial lambs than taking on bigger issues such as medicare, social security, 'defense', etc. Everyone in Congress needs to be voted out, 12% approval rating and they could care less. F them all.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/reese.asp

They'd rather we fight back and forth among ourselves, Democrat vs. Republic than band together and question why they are failing us.
__________________

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:41   #75
Rick C
affiant
 
Rick C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW FL
Posts: 4,088


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
No taxes were raised. A tax reduction expiered.
The F'ing reduction expired folks!

Why is this a surprise and causes multiple pages of griping over something that was inevitable?

Did you pay any attention before you lost/gained (2008) the money?
__________________
"consistency is not a substitute for rationality"
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:07.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,245
348 Members
897 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42