Old 01-04-2013, 19:49   #27
NEVRL8T

Got paid today and no change.
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:00   #28
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
My social security with holding went up about $220 per check (bi weekly) but a lot if not most of that is due to the year starting over for social security withholdings. Happens every year to me, they stop taking SS with holding when you reach amount X with held YTD and then when the year starts again the with holding shoots back up until you reach that amount again.

Not sure about the medical increase yet, but I am sure that is going to suck as well.

Yeah, it was 4.2% and ~$110K, capped at ~$4600/yr. Now at 6.2% and ~$113K, it's capped at ~$7050/yr.

It's 2% more FICA being collected for everyone, no need to ask how much - it's 2%.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:16   #29
Fungunner

I haven't seen a new years check yet. Expect an increase in health care costs. Beyond that, lets see...

Gas is climbing again
Food prices are predicted to continue to rise
Medical devices will cost more because of Obamacare tax increases
Inflation will be reducing the value of my money

It's going to be an outstanding year

George Bernard Shaw
Fungunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:19   #30
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Yeah, it was 4.2% and ~$110K, capped at ~$4600/yr. Now at 6.2% and ~$113K, it's capped at ~$7050/yr.

It's 2% more FICA being collected for everyone, no need to ask how much - it's 2%.
Yeah I can feel Obama behind me as we speak
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:26   #31
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Get paid every other Friday. It was about $30 or $40 lighter today.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:36   #32
jdavionic
NRA Member

Haven't gotten my first of the year yet. Mine always takes a big hit since I go from no SS tax (max out) back to starting over and have to pay SS tax again until I reach the max for this year. And of course, now I get to "give" a little more.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:39   #33
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Haven't gotten my first of the year yet. Mine always takes a big hit since I go from no SS tax (max out) back to starting over and have to pay SS tax again until I reach the max for this year. And of course, now I get to "give" a little more.
You and me both. Happens every year to me and yet every year it pisses me of when it happens
Old 01-04-2013, 20:47   #34
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
You and me both. Happens every year to me and yet every year it pisses me of when it happens
If you and jdavionic were glass half-full kind of guys, you could just enjoy the extra cash at Christmas time...

I use it to lay in a stash of the seasonal wine that makes the January gov't theft less unpalatable...

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:54   #35
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
If you and jdavionic were glass half-full kind of guys, you could just enjoy the extra cash at Christmas time...

I use it to lay in a stash of the seasonal wine that makes the January gov't theft less unpalatable...
True, I guess I need to look at it that way
Old 01-05-2013, 00:32   #36
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
just got my first paycheck of 2k13, im down about $34 for a regular 80-hour check......

and i really can't wait til' next month when our benefits open-enrollment begins, that's when we find out how much our health insurance-premiums will get jacked up thanks to obamacare....
It's pretty damn funny, reading the headline, I KNEW this line was going to be in here.....

....even though, remarkably, the changes for the heathcare reform stuff are NOT in effect yet. The primary provision don't kick in until NEXT year.

Why does everyone act like their health insurance costs have NEVER, EVER changed until now? I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't paid the same 2 years in a row for medical coverage since I starting getting benefits (somewhere around the late 90s, after I got out of the military).

Insurance rates go up. It happens every year. And one other thing that's been happening lately is that rates are changing VERY little, but employers are shifting a higher percentage to the employees, because it increases their profit margin.

Ask your employer to show you the complete benefit breakdown for last year and this year. See what the percentages are between what they're paying and what you're paying. I bet you see a change that's not in your favor.
Old 01-05-2013, 00:41   #37
Random
AtticRat

Quote:
At least you guys are smart enough to expect/laugh about it. I've just decided to try getting a handle on my finances and start paying attention to the numbers. I compare paychecks month against month. I just saw my Jan. 2013 and it scared the crap out of me!! A 1/3rd of my check was deducted for taxes. I was afraid that was becoming the new standard. Glad to hear it'll taper off.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 00:43   #38
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

My first 2013 check showed a loss of $31/week. I need to look at the pay stub to see where the extra deduction came from.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18   #39
Detectorist

The past few years we have had historic low income tax rates. Additionally, SS taxes were temporarily reduced.

It's time to pay the piper.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23   #40
vettely

Barely January 5th 2013 and the camels nose is already in the tent.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31   #41
Beretta92guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
It's pretty damn funny, reading the headline, I KNEW this line was going to be in here.....

....even though, remarkably, the changes for the heathcare reform stuff are NOT in effect yet. The primary provision don't kick in until NEXT year.

Why does everyone act like their health insurance costs have NEVER, EVER changed until now? I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't paid the same 2 years in a row for medical coverage since I starting getting benefits (somewhere around the late 90s, after I got out of the military).

Insurance rates go up. It happens every year. And one other thing that's been happening lately is that rates are changing VERY little, but employers are shifting a higher percentage to the employees, because it increases their profit margin.

Ask your employer to show you the complete benefit breakdown for last year and this year. See what the percentages are between what they're paying and what you're paying. I bet you see a change that's not in your favor.
maybe because mine have not, we have had the same provider for over seven years now, and the only difference we have seen has been a change in deductibles...
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42   #42
The Fed

Wait until the U.S. adopts California's cap and trade program...
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03   #43
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
Everyone in the federal gov't got a pay raise.
Where did you come up with that lie?

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08   #44
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
The 2% is not a tax increase, it's going back to what it always was. I got a whole 1.7%.
Correct 100%

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47   #45
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post

Not true. Obamacare taxes actually began in 2010 (note not all taxes are related to income). The ones that will will be most notable, by design, begin in 2013 as I understand it. This year will see a surtax on investment income (capital gains). So, the rate that some think is going from 15 to 20%, will actually be closer to 24%.

In addition, ther is an increase in the Medicare payroll tax.

Also as mentioned, the payroll tax increase will also effect your paycheck.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04   #46
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Not true. Obamacare taxes actually began in 2010 (note not all taxes are related to income). The ones that will will be most notable, by design, begin in 2013 as I understand it. This year will see a surtax on investment income (capital gains). So, the rate that some think is going from 15 to 20%, will actually be closer to 24%.

In addition, ther is an increase in the Medicare payroll tax.

Also as mentioned, the payroll tax increase will also effect your paycheck.

The increase is on medical devices. Are you a medical device manufacturer?

The cap gains tax has nothing to do with Obamacare.

There has been no payroll tax increase. Soc Sec deductions moved back to their historic levels before the change. (they did away with the 2% temporary reduction)

The medicare increase is .9% on earnings over $250,000 and only taxed once that earnings threshold is reached.

I don't think you understand the taxation on healthcare.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-05-2013 at 08:08..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44   #47
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
The increase is on medical devices. Are you a medical device manufacturer?

The cap gains tax has nothing to do with Obamacare.

There has been no payroll tax increase. Soc Sec deductions moved back to their historic levels before the change. (they did away with the 2% temporary reduction)

The medicare increase is .9% on earnings over $250,000 and only taxed once that earnings threshold is reached.

I don't think you understand the taxation on healthcare.
The increase on capital gains from 15 to 20, has nothing to do with Obamacare. The additional 3.8% on top of that does.

Thank you for pointing out the .9 was limited to 250K+ earners. You are correct, I do not "fully" understand this, but am trying and trying to do so without bias.

One thing I do understand is that my employer totally revamped its healthcare offerings specifically due to this bill. It's such a mess now, even the people that administer it couldn't answer questions in the three one-hour sessions I participated in. In the 14 years with this company, I was quite satisfied with the health care offerings. Now I am not. I heard frequently that if you like you current health care, you will get to keep it. This turned out not to be true in my case. So admittedly, it's a challenge to be without bias.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48   #48
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
The increase on capital gains from 15 to 20, has nothing to do with Obamacare. The additional 3.8% on top of that does.

Thank you for pointing out the .9 was limited to 250K+ earners. You are correct, I do not "fully" understand this, but am trying and trying to do so without bias.

One thing I do understand is that my employer totally revamped its healthcare offerings specifically due to this bill. It's such a mess now, even the people that administer it couldn't answer questions in the three one-hour sessions I participated in. In the 14 years with this company, I was quite satisfied with the health care offerings. Now I am not. I heard frequently that if you like you current health care, you will get to keep it. This turned out not to be true in my case. So admittedly, it's a challenge to be without bias.

At this point, it is you employer making the changes. It is not related to the healthcare bill.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52   #49
Rinspeed
JAFO

Keep working hard folks, millions on welfare depend on YOU.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23   #50
jakebrake
cracker

at this point, it looks like about 19 bucks a week. it's hard to pinpoint because our locals throw a bunch of one time taxes in. (52 a year for 911, etc...), and, i had too much to do to sit down and look how else the lovely .gov decided to **** me. but if i figured it out right, about 19 bucks a week.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote