Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu: So close, you can almost touch it?

So what do you think it is? (if you don't know.. http://www.ubuntu.com ). As of right now, the countdown timer shows about 5hrs, 45min.

Canonical apparently kept this one a pretty closely guarded secret.... as even some of the folks I know who do some dev work, have no idea.

Most seem to be thinking a tablet/phone OS, probably based on Unity (since touchscreens was part of the goal of Unity anyway). Seems it will be a tough market to break into. That's obvious when you see how Microsoft has completely flopped it's tablet OS launch. I have a feeling Canonical will do better than that, but I guess we'll have to see.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 01-02-2013 at 06:18..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25   #2
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
In general I'm not an Ubuntu guy, but if the developed a nice version of linux that would work well on a tablet I'd use it. I'd love to have a tablet that ran pure linux (well, without jumping through hoops).

It's possible now, but mainly the UI is the problem. I'm not sure what the announcement was, the countdown is a zero but I don't see any links to any sort of press release or something.

Last edited by captainstormy; 01-02-2013 at 12:26..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:23   #3
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Apparently they are trying to get into the smart phone game. Its a 2 dog race at this point, I'm underwhelmed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2013, 15:49   #4
DragonRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
A Its a 2 dog race at this point, I'm underwhelmed.
Agreed!

and with RIM/HTC having issues should have been a clue...
Top Gun #6121 Sub Club #121 .40 Club #6121 Kahr Club #121
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:54   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Yeah... This will be interesting. Kind of a long video, but the phone seems to have a lot of nice features. Note, if you want to skip past him talking, and just see him demonstrating the phone and its capabilities, skip to about 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

I agree though, this is going to be a very tough market to crack. Remember though, when Android came out, everyone said there was no way it could take away much of the iPhone's user base. Now, I believe there's more Android phones in use than iPhones.

We'll see.
Old 01-02-2013, 17:58   #6
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Yeah... This will be interesting. Kind of a long video, but the phone seems to have a lot of nice features. Note, if you want to skip past him talking, and just see him demonstrating the phone and its capabilities, skip to about 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

I agree though, this is going to be a very tough market to crack. Remember though, when Android came out, everyone said there was no way it could take away much of the iPhone's user base. Now, I believe there's more Android phones in use than iPhones.

We'll see.
It's possible, but I doubt Conical can do it.

Honestly, over the years they have talked about doing a whole lot of cool things (aside from Ubuntu) and none of it has really panned out.
Old 01-02-2013, 18:29   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Honestly, over the years they have talked about doing a whole lot of cool things (aside from Ubuntu) and none of it has really panned out.
Very true.. but this is the first time (to my knowledge) they've actually launched something other than their 1. free operating system 2. their cloud service.

Just remember, Shuttleworth is a gazillionaire and will have a lot of $$ to throw at this.

We'll see.
Old 01-03-2013, 16:25   #8
Linux3

Why do people buy a particular smart phone?
Because of the O.S.? I doubt it.

a) In many cases I think it's because it's what friends have.
b) Followed by "Cool" either real or perceived.
c) Then maybe features.
d) Is price in there?

No doubt people think Apple is cool. (b and c)
Lots of people have Android and they are cheaper. (a, d and a touch of b)

Is Ubuntu any of the above? I don't think so.
That's Microsoft's problem and I kind of doubt that Ubuntu will fair any better.

But true, true Shuttleworth is very rich and no fool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 18:18   #9
Detectorist

More choices is always better.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 16:58   #10
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

At best an Ubuntu phone OS might become a niche product. one that fans would load on their devices. I don't see any phone manufacturer jumping on the bandwagon.

The smartphone market is driven by app ecosystem. Ubuntu has none.

Another major hurdle for widespread acceptance is going to be the fact that the carriers will NOT tolerate a true open source phone that they cannot lock down.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00   #11
Toyman

I watched the video, looks like it has some really neat features. I would just be worried about it taking forever to boot like WebOS did.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 13:55   #12
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Another major hurdle for widespread acceptance is going to be the fact that the carriers will NOT tolerate a true open source phone that they cannot lock down.
This. Unfortunately.

Sent from my orifice.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 14:14   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

[quote=Dragoon44;19858893]
The smartphone market is driven by app ecosystem. Ubuntu has none.[QUOTE]

Since it's based on the Android kernel, really the apps should be no issue at all.

Quote:
I agree w/ this.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44   #14
duncan
Lifetime Membership

I'm waiting