Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2012, 22:49   #1
jnc36rcpd

Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic

I purchased an old school EOTech when we first started our rifle program during the D.C. sniper case. It looks like the EO finally went belly up.

I had been considering another optic, most likely the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic. Any opinions on that optic? Any others I should consider?

Thanks, be safe, and have a good new year.
Old 12-31-2012, 23:04   #2
Napalm561

I have several co-workers that have considered the EOTech, and ask me about other options. I usually endorse the Aim Point PRO. The Aimpoint is cheaper (about $400 compared to $500+ for EOTech) and the reticle is smaller allowing you the ability to see a smaller target or a target at a longer distance. You can put it in the closet, and in 5 years the batteries will still be working, so it draws very little power.
I currently have an ACOG, but I still want to get an Aim Point Pro, to swap back & forth with my ACOG, depending on the scenario, or put it on another rifle.
SPD Snypr demonstrates the Aim Point's durability by taking his rifle with the mounted Aim Point, and throwing it across the range while he lectures, Picks it up, and slings it again, and again. They're tough.

For my money, you know what I'd chose.

Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.
Napalm561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21   #3
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Can't be beat for the price.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31   #4
boomhower

I've had one since shortly after they were released and I love it. I replaced the mount with a QD lower 1/3 mount from ADM. Very nice optic, you'll love the battery life.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47   #5
Glock Holliday

I've got two and another one backordered. IMHO it's the best deal out there.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:55   #6
phred119

I've got a compM2, one of the older Aimpoints, and absolutely love it. I also replaced an EOTech with the Aimpoint, I got tired of constantly replacing batteries in the EOTech, and even had it crap out on me at the range one day.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06   #7
Dr.Crash

Swapped out my EO 552 for a Comp M4 and am never going back. The 5-8 year batt life alone was enough to make me switch. Havent seen the PRO in person but have heard great things.

posted using my rotary phone
Dr.Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18   #8
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

The PRO is a tough, well-made optic. They can be knocked off zero like everything else, but you have to try harder than most optic. In the 3-4 years we've been using the aimpoint, two of our approximately 100 optics have been knocked out of zero by dropping them hard onto concrete (both while still on the rifle). They were fixed by lining them back up with the irons, and checking zero at the range.

The EO Tech is a good optic, and gets a lot of bad press. I still have a 512 that's been running for years. It's on an SBR that I use as an entry team gun only - the EO Tech reticle rules inside - pretty hard to miss, and I like being able to use the bottom of the reticle for mechanical offset aiming.

All that said, I think the Aimpoint PRO is the best deal out there. Our last round of PD rifles for new-hires all got them (10 I think). I also bought one for a personal Colt M4 I just got. They are the best-bet all-around optic out there for a general patrol rifle. I have zero complaints about them. BTW - the one on my patrol rifle right now has had the same battery in it for over 2 years now, and I never shut it off.

Last edited by SPDSNYPR; 01-01-2013 at 11:20..
SPDSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:54   #9
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Bang for the buck, the PRO is the best deal out there for patrol work.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:35   #10
mntrpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
The PRO is a tough, well-made optic. They can be knocked off zero like everything else, but you have to try harder than most optic. In the 3-4 years we've been using the aimpoint, two of our approximately 100 optics have been knocked out of zero by dropping them hard onto concrete (both while still on the rifle). They were fixed by lining them back up with the irons, and checking zero at the range.

The EO Tech is a good optic, and gets a lot of bad press. I still have a 512 that's been running for years. It's on an SBR that I use as an entry team gun only - the EO Tech reticle rules inside - pretty hard to miss, and I like being able to use the bottom of the reticle for mechanical offset aiming.

All that said, I think the Aimpoint PRO is the best deal out there. Our last round of PD rifles for new-hires all got them (10 I think). I also bought one for a personal Colt M4 I just got. They are the best-bet all-around optic out there for a general patrol rifle. I have zero complaints about them. BTW - the one on my patrol rifle right now has had the same battery in it for over 2 years now, and I never shut it off.
We had a former administrator relate that when we were in the business of killing people, we could all have red dots. And you guys issue them....you hiring????
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:53   #11
kayl

LA Police Gear has a great price on them right now...
$419.99 minus 15% with code Y13 = $356.99 shipped to your door.
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:11   #12
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
We had a former administrator relate that when we were in the business of killing people, we could all have red dots. And you guys issue them....you hiring????
They are on our department rifles.

Yes, we are hiring.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:14   #13
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntrpr View Post
And you guys issue them....you hiring????
Yes - always it seems over the last few years.

Our last rifle shooting was in a very dark place at night. The woods where the guy was shooting at our boys from was soaking up the light from the rifles. Irons were useless. A guy with a personally owned optic took care of business in a hurry because he was able to flank the shooter and put the red dot on the muzzle flashes. Problem solved.

We had Aimpoints withing 6 months. Sometimes it's a lot easier to get things done in smaller departments.
Old 01-01-2013, 17:57   #14
ray9898

Hmmm....gonna look hard at one of these. I am looking to replace my Eotech 551, looks like I can Ebay it used for around the new price of the Aimpoint.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:03   #15
Glock Holliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayl View Post
LA Police Gear has a great price on them right now...
$419.99 minus 15% with code Y13 = $356.99 shipped to your door.
That's where I got mine. They can't keep them in stock, but they will honor the discount codes on back orders.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Holliday View Post
That's where I got mine. They can't keep them in stock, but they will honor the discount codes on back orders.
You just got me in big trouble with the wife. I cant pass up on that deal.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47   #17
kayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I'll be in the same boat if my wife finds out about it

Maybe I should have shipped it to work!
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12   #18
ryanm

Quote:
Same here. I placed my order yesterday.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36   #19
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayl View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I'll be in the same boat if my wife finds out about it

Maybe I should have shipped it to work!
I'd be nervous about shipping it to work, it might disappear before I get it. You know us cops. I could leave a bag of dope or a $100 bill on the patrol room table and nobody would touch it for months. Do the same with a Stinger battery or a pair of handcuffs and you'll be in the market for a new set before you get out of the bathroom.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16   #20
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
I'd be nervous about shipping it to work, it might disappear before I get it. You know us cops. I could leave a bag of dope or a $100 bill on the patrol room table and nobody would touch it for months. Do the same with a Stinger battery or a pair of handcuffs and you'll be in the market for a new set before you get out of the bathroom.
And here I thought my office was the only one with this issue. I'm on my 4th reflective vest.
BlisteringSilence is offline   Reply With Quote