SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:09   #1
Gideon2086

Glock 19 Gen4 rubbing the joint under my knuckle

Hey fellas,

Just picked up my first Glock, and I'm having some issues with the way it's sitting in my hand (I'm 6'4 with large hands). It is constantly pushing into the joint that is under my thumb knuckle-to the point that it was bright red after putting about 100 rounds through it. I've tried both provided backgrips to no avail (with the medium sized grip actually feeling the best). I want to love this gun but the way it's sitting in my hand is really starting to rub me the wrong way (pun intended)!

Anyone else experience this and find a solution? Should I try a beaver tail? Any help/suggestions/info will be greatly appreciated!
Gideon2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:13   #2
OhioGlock90

Get a G17
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14   #3
Gideon2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
Get a G17
but I just bought the 19!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:21   #4
clarkz71

Never heard of that one, how about a pic of you gripping the gun?
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:23   #5
JGlockman

It's difficult to explain... But do not try to wrap your fingers all the way around the grip. Unfortunately, I am stuck at the in laws and cannot grab a pic to better explain. I have huge hands and found that if I try to wrap my entire hand around the grip, it angles it into the base of my thumb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by JGlockman; 12-25-2012 at 11:24..
JGlockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28   #6
9mmdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon2086 View Post
Hey fellas,

Just picked up my first Glock, and I'm having some issues with the way it's sitting in my hand (I'm 6'4 with large hands). It is constantly pushing into the joint that is under my thumb knuckle-to the point that it was bright red after putting about 100 rounds through it. I've tried both provided backgrips to no avail (with the medium sized grip actually feeling the best). I want to love this gun but the way it's sitting in my hand is really starting to rub me the wrong way (pun intended)!

Anyone else experience this and find a solution? Should I try a beaver tail? Any help/suggestions/info will be greatly appreciated!

Put a bandaid over the red spot. Hold off on shooting until the spot is healed. Use the medium grip and if that doesn't work get a G17 which will feel different.
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:31   #7
Rustin

It's called the Glock knuckle lol. Best bet is to get a 17 or just go with a different brand altogether. M&P's are awesome.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41   #8
SJ 40

I think that has to be the number one most annoying complaint with the Glock trigger guard design. They can be undercut some ,either by yourself or some place like Cold Bore Custom.
Do it yourself.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...+trigger+guard

The Cold Bore route,although I understand he is booked up for a while.

http://www.ColdBoreCustom.com/

This should give you a idea how to cure Glock knuckle. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 12-25-2012 at 11:47.. Reason: repair link
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42   #9
Gideon2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
It's called the Glock knuckle lol. Best bet is to get a 17 or just go with a different brand altogether. M&P's are awesome.
argh, literally picked this one up a week ago. don't want to take that kind of monetary hit.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50   #10
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Same problem here. Recoil tilts the weapon back and the rear of the weapon hits the knuckle at the base of my thumb. 100 rounds and it bleeds.

XXXL hands here (and yes it's true what they say about guys with big hands ladies) and without the large backstrap I really can't use the gun accurately. Band-aid didn't help, trying fingerless leather gloves now.

Few days ago there was a thread about Glock showing a beavertail at some shows. Some recent Gen 4's have a small plastic piece molded just behind the slide for this purpose. Wish they'd hurry up and offer them for sale.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1456223

Last edited by Paul53; 12-25-2012 at 14:23..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50   #11
High Altitude

Undercut the trigger guard a little.
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:51   #12
JGlockman

Quote:
argh, literally picked this one up a week ago. don't want to take that kind of monetary hit.
The 19 will be just fine. Just experiment with your grip. I will try to post a pic later tonight.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:17   #13
ScottieG59

It us the same thing I deal with shooting my Kahr PM9. Part of the issue may be that my hands are not as tough as they were. I am sure there are rubber grip sleeves that will help, or rubber decals. Then, it might be tougher to draw from concealment due to being too grippy.

I am sure you can adapt to the Glock 19. On YouTube, hickok45, who is something like 6 foot 8 inches, shoots all sorts of handguns. In some cases, he uses tape on the grip to keep the gun from pivoting too much under recoil.

Anyway, somewhere in YouTube, there should be people demonstrating a solution.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:40   #14
blk69stang

I'm wondering if this may have to do with the way you grip the pistol. (Assuming you're right handed for descriptive purposes) If your fingers are wrapped way far around the grip, placing the heel of your palm more towards the 4 or 5 o-clock position of the grip rather than the 6 o'clock position, this would tend to cause your thumb knuckle to be at the 6 o'clock to 6:30 position, causing the "factory beavertail" to rub the knuckle raw.

I had some issue with that, and it was cured with what I call a "full-hand grip". Grip the pistol in your right hand, then rotate the pistol horizontally (muzzle left) about 15 or 20 degrees. The idea is that the heel of your hand is directly at the 6 o'clock on the backstrap, aligning the pistol so that recoil energy is transferred directly into the strongest bones ofthe wrist and forearm. It provides a more solid grip, and will place your "thumb knuckle" more toward the 7 or 8 o'clock position, alleviating the abrasion you're describing.

This grip will also have two side-effects: 1) You will get less "muzzle flip" from the gun being better connected to your skeletal system, and not stabilized by your muscles alone. 2) You will tend to "naturally point" the gun too "muzzle high", as it puts the famously loathed "glock bump" on the bottom of the backstrap against your palm-heel. It can be overcome with training.

$0.02

Last edited by blk69stang; 12-25-2012 at 12:42..
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:42   #15
JGlockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
I'm wondering if this may have to do with the way you grip the pistol. (Assuming you're right handed for descriptive purposes) If your fingers are wrapped way far around the grip, placing the heel of your palm more towards the 4 or 5 o-clock position of the grip rather than the 6 o'clock position, this would tend to cause your thumb knuckle to be at the 6 o'clock to 6:30 position, causing the "factory beavertail" to rub the knuckle raw.

I had some issue with that, and it was cured with what I call a "full-hand grip". Grip the pistol in your right hand, then rotate the pistol horizontally (muzzle left) about 15 or 20 degrees couter clockwise. The idea is that the heel of your hand is directly at the 6 o'clock on the backstrap, aligning the pistol so that recoil energy is transferred directly into the strongest bones ofthe wrist and forearm. It provides a more solid grip, and will place your "thumb knuckle" more toward the 7 or 8 o'clock position, alleviating the abrasion you're describing.

This grip will also have two side-effects: 1) You will get less "muzzle flip" from the gun being better connected to your skeletal system, and not stabilized by your muscles alone. 2) You will tend to "naturally point" the gun too "muzzle high", as it puts the famously loathed "glock bump" on the bottom of the backstrap against your palm-heel. It can be overcome with training.

$0.02
This is exactly what I was gonna try to post a picture of. This is THE best way I have seen it described!

Old 12-25-2012, 12:43   #16
SCmasterblaster

Trade it in for a G17.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57   #17
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Thanks blk69stang. Will try that. Also ordered from Force Grip. My grip was dictated by trying to stop shooting consistently left.

Got pictures of the stang?

Last edited by Paul53; 12-25-2012 at 12:58..
Old 12-25-2012, 13:44   #18
SCmasterblaster

Well, now that after some time to reconsider.

perhaps merely switching to a G17 may not be the answer.
Old 12-25-2012, 14:20   #19
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

There are a lot of answers, including switching to a 17. My 19 is my EDC and it will probably be a few years before I can afford another weapon. I'm big enough that I could probably conceal a 17. But cost determines everything right now. Thanks for your suggestion!

Last edited by Paul53; 12-25-2012 at 14:22..
Old 12-25-2012, 14:41   #20
Gideon2086

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm sure it is my grip. It's just annoying as I have never had this problem with other pistols. I actually had Hickok in the back of my mind as I ultimately chose the glock over the Springfield xdm because of his videos. Maybe I'll order one of the talon grips he uses.
Old 12-25-2012, 14:41   #21
Gideon2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
There are a lot of answers, including switching to a 17. My 19 is my EDC and it will probably be a few years before I can afford another weapon. I'm big enough that I could probably conceal a 17. But cost determines everything right now. Thanks for your suggestion!
Do you use one of the back grips?
Old 12-25-2012, 14:49   #22
LampShadeActual

Naw. There is nothing wrong with your grip. It is the damn Gen4 intermediate frame that does it.

The Gen2 frames, M17 and M19, let you put your hand any where you want it. The trigger guard does not bounce against that joint on the right side.

The Gen3 standard frame, M17-22-34-35, has a wide finger groove spacing and does not jamb the middle finger joint against the right rear bottom of the trigger guard where it meets the frame.

The Gen3 intermediae frame, M19-23 size, has narrower finger groove spacing and rubs that spot to a mild degree. After a while, you just develop a callous there.

The Gen4 intermediate frame, M19-23, is different somehow and rubs harder than hell until a new callous area formes. It actually hurts and swells if you have really large hands, 2XL.

You still need to index the gun in your right hand by placing the thumb first finger webb as high as you can on the center of the backstrap. The middle and smaller two fingers go where they fall naturally.
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:15   #23
Edmo01

Here is the fix I use on my GLOCKS...

I do the following mod to all of my GLOCKS and it fixes the "GLOCK knuckle" for me.

I take half of a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and begin working the edges on the very back of the trigger guard. It doesn't take much to round off the square edge of the trigger guard enough to smooth out the problem area. I've found I only need to round the back 1" or so, and in 10-15 minutes of work I can smooth rear trigger guard on both sides.

Slow and steady is the rule, keep the paper only on the spots you need to round and smooth, and check you work frequently. It will leave the polymer with a slightly dulled finish, but 220 grit paper (or finer) will not leave noticable scratches in the finish.

One option... YMMV, IMHO, YGBSM, etc...

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo01; 12-25-2012 at 15:15..
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:17   #24
kodiakpb

Guys I could swear he's talking about slide bite...ie. base of his thumb knuckle, not his finger under the trigger guard.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:17   #25
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Do you use one of the back grips?
I use the large backgrip. Tried the gun with no backgrip and trigger control was very difficult with huge hands. Medium backgrip is so so, but the large backgrip fits my hands most comfortably, and gives me best weapon and trigger control.

Without a backgrip I don't have the bleeding knuckle problem, though. I think Glock screwed up when they worked on the Gen 4 ergonomics.