GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 14:28   #1
JimBean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 227
How about having Tasers in schools?

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012-...murder-charges

What are your thoughts?
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:38   #2
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,143
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Seems to offer alot of down sides and very little up.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:08   #3
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,204
Taser requires 8 hours per year refresher training for their LE models. Thier non LE models are 4 hours initial training IIRC. Failure to update=liability.

They are also not the wonder guns Taser portays them to be. I have personally seen someone pull a dart out of their face while juice is flowing through their body.

There are also practical issues in regards to armed subjects. Even the newest models are a two shot weapon. Then you need disarm the person.

Tasers would would work wonders on school fights though. Plug in Little Johnny and he'll stop fighting Little Jimmy. Of course mommy and daddy will sue....
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 15:18   #4
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Never bring a taser to a gun fight .....!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 16:41   #5
JimBean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 227
I am not saying this is a perfect alternative. A handgun is far more atractive for defense, but I don't see that becoming an option in most schools anytime soon.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 16:43   #6
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,143
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
And you honestly see tasers as a realistic choice then?
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 16:45   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
I am not saying this is a perfect alternative. A handgun is far more atractive for defense, but I don't see that becoming an option in most schools anytime soon.
People who are afraid of guns are afraid of Tasers.

People who are afraid of guns are ineffective with tasers because they are also afraid confrontation and violence. Guns are the only possible weapon that might help them and even that is doubtful. The average teacher/social worker type is not a victim because he doesn't have a gun - he doesn't have a gun because he's a victim.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 16:54   #8
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
(GUN FREE ZONE)-If I were a nut ball or criminal , just what is this telling me ? If only a lie , post (THIS AREA HIGHLY PROTECTED BY ARMED GUARD) ! At least it might make me not go there !

IT IS INSANE TO POST "YES , I AM DEFENCELESS"
Hell , just pass out T-shirts with Bulls-eyes !!

Ask for trouble and guess what ?
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 17:04   #9
flw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 357
With all our "Victim Zones" labeled for the true nut cases to find, a taser is 100% better than a sharp pencil. That's all the principle had it had to use but had to use her body instead to no avail.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 17:25   #10
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
What are your thoughts?



It's akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight.


__________________
When we do hit it we hit it out of the park and send it over to China as quickly as possible to cheapen it and sell it.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 17:26   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Seems to offer alot of down sides and very little up.
__________________
When we do hit it we hit it out of the park and send it over to China as quickly as possible to cheapen it and sell it.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 17:27   #12
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Tasers are n alternative option for highly trained law enforcement organizations who also have the option of dealy force readily available. Not only does the operator have to be trained in the actual deployment but also in physically controlling the suspect and cuffing after the "tasing". It is impractical to expect teachers to be able to train to that level nor is it reasonable to expect them to repeatedly tase an individual until LEs arrive. With the surprisingly high failure rate (you never hear much about that, but my local LE agencies are shying away due to the fact that limited numbers and distant backup have made their use problematic for a solo officer no matter how well trained.

They have found that it isn't a "magic wand"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 17:44   #13
TX Proud
Member
 
TX Proud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas/ UAE
Posts: 62
As a teacher, I would be much more likely to "light up" a student than I would ever be to even let my students know I was armed.

Wait, I want one!
TX Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:28   #14
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Tasers have entered the mythos and fabric of our society. Hell, as an LEO you can have someone at gun point and they are likely to say "dont tase me!"

I dont think that is, overall a good thing. One of the problem with the perasiveness of less lethal weapons is, the bad guys are starting to shift from thinking you will kill them to you will cause some level of *ouch* and the people who use them think they can confront life or death situations without having to kill someone.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. You need some people to know(fear) you will apply force that may kill them. Some people need to realize that sometimes, using force less than a force that is likely to kill is a mistake.

Dont bring a taser to a gunfight.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:31   #15
JimBean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 227
Alright I see that most so far do not consider this an option.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:33   #16
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Tasers are n alternative option for highly trained law enforcement organizations who also have the option of dealy force readily available. Not only does the operator have to be trained in the actual deployment but also in physically controlling the suspect and cuffing after the "tasing". It is impractical to expect teachers to be able to train to that level nor is it reasonable to expect them to repeatedly tase an individual until LEs arrive. With the surprisingly high failure rate (you never hear much about that, but my local LE agencies are shying away due to the fact that limited numbers and distant backup have made their use problematic for a solo officer no matter how well trained.

They have found that it isn't a "magic wand"
That is another very important aspect. When I tase someone, I know what to do with them next and I have the tools, training and experience to do it.

What is 65 year old teacher going to do? Keep tasing him (as funny as that sounds) or run like hell only to still have the same exact problem start up in a few seconds.

Tasers dont always solve the long term problem (whatever you tased them for) they provide (most of the time) a time bridge where the unwanted action stops for a small amount of time. If you dont use that time to implement a permanent solution to the unwanted actions, you still have a serious problem.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:42   #17
JimBean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
That is another very important aspect. When I tase someone, I know what to do with them next and I have the tools, training and experience to do it.

What is 65 year old teacher going to do? Keep tasing him (as funny as that sounds) or run like hell only to still have the same exact problem start up in a few seconds.

Tasers dont always solve the long term problem (whatever you tased them for) they provide (most of the time) a time bridge where the unwanted action stops for a small amount of time. If you dont use that time to implement a permanent solution to the unwanted actions, you still have a serious problem.
The 65 year old teacher continually tasing the perp would be pretty funny.
JimBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:45   #18
TX Proud
Member
 
TX Proud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas/ UAE
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
The 65 year old teacher continually tasing the perp would be pretty funny.
get the football team to "take care" or him or her.
TX Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:48   #19
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
The 65 year old teacher continually tasing the perp would be pretty funny.
Yah, but if a "solo" officer did that with a physically large Perp, until backup arrived, can't you just see the lawyers getting ahold of it and calling it "torture". Another liability issue to think of. I promise eve a homicidal dingbats lawyer would pull that out.

It is funny though. Remember the NCIS episode when Abbey gets kidnapped in the van?

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:58   #20
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Proud View Post
As a teacher, I would be much more likely to "light up" a student than I would ever be to even let my students know I was armed.

Wait, I want one!
To blatantly display your TASER is one thing ! CC , the carrying of a concealed weapon is exactly that , CONCEALED , no one should know. Should also not be considered with out proper training and time spent. Not everybody should carry.

Also , good luck with a taser and body armor !

The people with the real blood on their hands are the one's who impose these so called GUN FREE ZONES so publicly !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 19:04   #21
mj9mm
Senior Member
 
mj9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WI, looking better since Walker
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Never bring a taser to a gun fight .....!

don't tell me you are serious about protecting my children, and the come up short like that. if it is a secondary option after a firearm then ok
__________________
The power of the people lays in the first, the ability stems from the second.
that angry voice rising up from the back of the room that haunts the Republican Party.
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 19:08   #22
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,138


A Taser is going to do nothing to solve the problem. Without the means to overpower and detain the suspect while incapacitated it is nothing but a time out.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 19:38   #23
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Taser requires 8 hours per year refresher training for their LE models. Thier non LE models are 4 hours initial training IIRC. Failure to update=liability.

They are also not the wonder guns Taser portays them to be. I have personally seen someone pull a dart out of their face while juice is flowing through their body.

There are also practical issues in regards to armed subjects. Even the newest models are a two shot weapon. Then you need disarm the person.

Tasers would would work wonders on school fights though. Plug in Little Johnny and he'll stop fighting Little Jimmy. Of course mommy and daddy will sue....

This number one.

Number two: never bring a taser to a gunfight.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:16   #24
jp3975
Senior Member
 
jp3975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texarkana, Tx
Posts: 6,376
Are you guys serious?

"A taser will do nothing because it temporarily incapacitates them."

You guys dont think that a temporarily incapacitated person could...I dont know, maybe have someone take their gun from them?

If you had the choice of being unarmed or having a taser, which do you choose?

Its a no-brainer.

If you're worried about training...hell, cops are on the state dime. Let teachers sit in on a class who want to carry a taser, or even have a special class for them. How hard would it be for pd to drop by and teach for a few hours once a semester or so?

You guys dont think several teachers with tasers beats a shooter unopposed? It would be easy for someone to hit a shooter with the taser in a school. If you're in a classroom, you could either hit him with it when he comes in or hit him when he walks by through the hall.

Beats throwing erasers.

Last edited by jp3975; 12-28-2012 at 20:17..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:16   #25
Henry's Dad
woof, woof
 
Henry's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upriver of 3 Mile Island
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBean View Post
I am not saying this is a perfect alternative. A handgun is far more atractive for defense, but I don't see that becoming an option in most schools anytime soon.
JimBean,

I tried to go down this road a week or so ago, but no one wanted to debate less lethal vs. nothing.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1458421

The responses tended to be "tasers suck, get a gun" with few wanting to address the fact that teachers are unlikely to be armed with guns anytime soon.

It would be a nice debate to have, but as I learned, tasers suck and teachers should have guns.

Let me summarize the thread I started:

Q: "What if teachers don't get guns? Should they have less lethal options available?"

A: "No, tasers suck. Teachers should have guns."

Q: "But what if guns are not authorized for use in schools? Would less lethal options give teachers a fighting chance?"

A: "Teachers need guns. Tasers suck in a gunfight. Get a gun."

Henry's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:27.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 993
269 Members
724 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42