SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 15:23   #426
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Any of the posters on this thread that think that "travel is a right, but the use of a car to do it is subject to gov't whim" is accurate, then you must also think that "bearing arms is a right, but the use of ARs is subject to gov't whim" and therefore those posters must support an AWB.

The principle is IDENTICAL.

You can't pick and choose which cases you agree with when it comes to rights. Either you have complete right or no right.
"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, is it not possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it?"-Edward Bernays, grandfather of modern propaganda
Old 12-30-2012, 15:33   #427
Bruce M

So if you do not have a right to yell fire in a crowded theatre when there is no fire, that means you have no right to freedom of speech?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 12-30-2012, 15:35   #428
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19G20 View Post
Any of the posters on this thread that think that "travel is a right, but the use of a car to do it is subject to gov't whim" is accurate, then you must also think that "bearing arms is a right, but the use of ARs is subject to gov't whim" and therefore those posters must support an AWB.

You can't pick and choose which cases you agree with when it comes to rights. Either you have complete right or no right.
If an AWB passes and gets challenged to the Supreme Court, they would make the choice as to whether it's the same thing or not.

Disagreeing with something doesn't make it less legal, and agreeing that it's legal doesn't mean you accept it, either. That's far too simplistic of a way to look at it.

When seatbelt laws were passed here in IL, a LOT of people didn't like it. They either buckled up or got (and continue to get) tickets. Buckling up without raising holy hell doesn't mean everyone agreed with it, it just means it was the law.

If a new AWB passed, I would abide by the law until it was either changed or overturned by the court. For the same reason I don't carry a firearm here in IL right now - I'm a law-abiding citizen. That doesn't mean I'm not fighting against it tooth and nail.

Your assertion is absurd.
Old 12-30-2012, 15:36   #429
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
You misunderstand, much like Dana.

Travel, is a right.

Operation is a privilege.

The govt can't tell you that you can't move across the country.

The govt can however, tell you that you have to meet certain criteria to drive/fly/sail across the country.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 12-30-2012, 15:43   #430
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
You misunderstand, much like Dana.

Travel, is a right.

Operation is a privilege.

The govt can't tell you that you can't move across the country.

The govt can however, tell you that you have to meet certain criteria to drive/fly/sail across the country.
So the gov't can't tell you that you can't bear arms, but it can tell you which arms you can't bear. Do you agree with that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry
Your assertion is absurd.
No, friend. Your assertion that there are degrees of rights is absurd. Rights are simplistic. Either you have a right or you don't.
"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, is it not possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it?"-Edward Bernays, grandfather of modern propaganda

Last edited by G19G20; 12-30-2012 at 15:46..
Old 12-30-2012, 15:44   #431
Ohio Copper

Quote:

You can walk your happy butt wherever you like.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 12-30-2012 at 15:44..
Old 12-30-2012, 15:46   #432
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Old 12-30-2012, 15:46   #433
WarCry

Quote:
So the gov't can't tell you that you can't bear arms, but it can tell you which arms you can't bear. Do you agree with that statement?
That is well-established law.

The only thing up for debate is the level of restriction, but telling you what you CAN'T have is well-proven case-law.
Old 12-30-2012, 15:48   #434
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
You can walk your happy butt wherever you like.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Address my post.

Sure, I can walk wherever I like but the gov't can dictate how I "travel"? So then surely you agree that the gov't can dictate how I bear arms? Correct?

Last edited by G19G20; 12-30-2012 at 15:49..
Old 12-30-2012, 15:49   #435
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
But remember, the thread started as the justification was not giving an officer evidence to use against you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Now, I'm against checkpoints in general. By my luck of the draw I've never met an honest cop at any of them. Like 'em or not sometimes you have to tip your hat.

I really dig where refusing to take a breathalyzer equals enough probable cause for a judge to sign a warrant giving them permission to take your blood by force. That is pimp.
Remember..this ^ was the starting point??
Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
The Louisiana ACLU opposes the no-refusal policy.

"Of course, everybody has an obligation not to drive impaired and potentially harm someone else," said LA ACLU Executive Director Marjorie Esman. "The question is whether this is an appropriate use of governmental power to take people's blood without their consent."
Why doesn't the ACLU file for an injunction to stop the program?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 12-30-2012, 15:51   #436
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
That is well-established law.

The only thing up for debate is the level of restriction, but telling you what you CAN'T have is well-proven case-law.
I didn't ask what the law says. I asked what YOU think.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Im trying to get you all to say that you basically support rights that you like, while supporting restricting rights you don't like. That would make you a hypocrite and contradicting yourself. You either have a right or you don't. There are no degrees of rights, particularly those that are inalienable and given by the Creator.

Last edited by G19G20; 12-30-2012 at 15:54..
Old 12-30-2012, 15:51   #437
ray9898

Quote:
Address my post.

Sure, I can walk wherever I like but the gov't can dictate how I "travel"? So then surely you agree that the gov't can dictate how I bear arms? Correct?
Of course they can. There is not one single right not subject to certain restrictions.

Last edited by ray9898; 12-30-2012 at 15:57..
Old 12-30-2012, 15:53   #438
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19G20
No, friend. Your assertion that there are degrees of rights is absurd. Rights are simplistic. Either you have a right or you don't.
Again, you don't understand the difference between a right, and a privilege.

Operating, as proven by case law, is a privilege. It belongs to a specific group of people, and not everyone.

But simply because you can't operate it, doesn't mean you can't travel.

I can't fly a plane ( legally) but I can travel in one.

Understand the difference?

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 12-30-2012, 15:56   #439
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Of course they can. There is not one single right no subject to restriction.
Congratulations on being successfully brainwashed by gov't and media to believe that your inalienable rights granted by the Creator are subject to impingment by mere mortal men. Sold to you.
Old 12-30-2012, 15:56   #440
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Address my post.

There is the Feinstein method:

The Okie Corral
Old 12-30-2012, 16:03   #441
Bruce M

Quote:

What happens when your right of freedom of speech causes me to loose sleep because you are exercising your right of freedom of speech at 3 am outside my window?

What happens when you use your freedom of religion to sacrifice a chicken at the cemetary where I have a relative buried?

Do you have a right to drive while you are intoxicated on the same road that I am driving on with my family?

What happens when you right interferes with my right? Whose right wins?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 12-30-2012 at 16:07..
Old 12-30-2012, 16:05   #442
Officer X

Quote:
Address my post.

You can travel by car, boat, plane or train however you like...as a passenger

If you want to drive (operate) the mode of transportation, you need the required license/certification/registration for whatever mode of transportation you're operating

Unless you like to travel on horseback
Old 12-30-2012, 16:07   #443
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
So the gov't can't tell you that you can't bear arms, but it can tell you which arms you can't bear. Do you agree with that?.

NFA laws, 1934/86 seem to prove that point.

Are you arguing that the supreme court is wrong in their rulings?

Old 12-30-2012, 16:08   #444
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Well...Why doesn't the ACLU file for an injunction to stop the program?
Maybe they are?

Wouldnt the ACLU be a better person to ask than me? I am not part of the ACLU. The ACLU does some good things, but for being Civil Liberties defenders, they seem (just like many GTers) to pick and choose which ones they like.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 12-30-2012, 16:10   #445
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post

If you want to drive (operate) the mode of transportation, you need the required license/certification/registration for whatever mode of transportation you're operating

Show where the court rulings say "as a passenger" or that a horse is specifically protected.

Why do you say a horse? Using this logic the 2A only applies to black powder weapons. Of course that version doesnt fit a gun forum agenda...
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 12-30-2012, 16:11   #446
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

They cannot see this because it doesnt fit their day job description.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 12-30-2012, 16:13   #447
WarCry

Quote:
I didn't ask what the law says. I asked what YOU think.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Im trying to get you all to say that you basically support rights that you like, while supporting restricting rights you don't like. That would make you a hypocrite and contradicting yourself. You either have a right or you don't. There are no degrees of rights, particularly those that are inalienable and given by the Creator.
You have no idea what you're talking about. There are no absolute rights - none, at all. EVERY right in the US Constitution - written by men, not delivered by divine providence - has restrictions that have been supported by the Constitutionally-appointed authorities on those rights, the US Supreme Court.

YOU are insisting on things that don't exist. Rights are not absolute. It's not a binary system. YOU have the right to keep and bear arms, but you don't have a right to carry them in my house if I decide, because then your right would be infringing on mine.

That very simple example proves the point that no right is absolute.

You can live your life in black and white if you'd like, but the reality is just NOT that simple, no matter how loud you scream that it should be.

(Scream all you like before 10pm, BTW. That's your right. After 10pm, it's disturbing the peace)
Old 12-30-2012, 16:18   #448
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Show where the court rulings say "as a passenger" or that a horse is specifically protected.

Why do you say a horse? Using this logic the 2A only applies to black powder weapons. Of course that version doesnt fit a gun forum agenda...

Post 165 has specific case examples that says exactly what your asking for.

Old 12-30-2012, 16:20   #449
ray9898

Quote:
Congratulations on being successfully brainwashed by gov't and media to believe that your inalienable rights granted by the Creator are subject to impingment by mere mortal men. Sold to you.

Brainwashed? I think maybe you live in a world of revisionist history.

The BOR was never absolute, it was intended from day 1 to apply with certain reasonable restrictions, qualifications which are all subject to interpretation by the courts on its application. There was debate, court challenges and case law created in matters relating to the BOR while the same Founding Fathers who crafted the document were still in power. They did not say "the document is absolute", they allowed our process to work and the judicial branch to do its job.

It is just a fact of what we have....not misguided emotion.

Last edited by ray9898; 12-30-2012 at 16:45..
Old 12-30-2012, 16:21   #450
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYjzlz_oFs8

I suspect, where you ride it might be important too.
Closed Thread

Tags
call me by my title, doctor danat, drive sober, moving goalpost, roadblocks, still get pulled over