GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 19:49   #61
sammyh312

I remember a visit from our local ATF special agent in-charge in my chief's office over me popping up on their grid after several multiple gun purchases. My best friend owned a shop at the time, and he'd let me take a couple of different guns every few months to play with, then after that id return em get a couple more. Well, that red-flagged me so they called my buddy. They started asking a buncha bull**** querstions about whether i was an extremist, was i in a militia...etc. Buddy says, "hell no, call him, he works for the xxx police department." Hearing i was a cop, Buddy said their attitude changed where i was now "ok". They still showed up at the PD calling it a "courtesy visit", as it appeared i mioght be dealing without a license...blah, blah. I was effn livid!!! I told em courtesy my ass, if it was courtesy you woulda came by my house and not brought it to my job...etc. the meeting ended very poorly when i told em to get back in their black helicopter and go find some real criminals rather than some broke-ass cop who happened to buy a glock and a sig in the same month. never heard another thing.
sammyh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 17:18   #62
Matthew26

I remember paying $60 each for used Glock 22 mags. Glock 23 mags were over $100. Hope it doesn't come back to that, but have always kept it in the back of my head as a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 18:17   #63
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I remember NOT buying guns because I couldn't find good mags for them.

I remember buying the mags that were available and having them NOT work.
Old 01-14-2013, 19:41   #64
wct097

I remember buying some crappy Mini-30 magazines (30 rounders) prior to buying the rifle because finding mags was harder than finding a gun that would accept them.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55   #65
Orive 8

I remember that my duty gun and off duty gun were a Sig P220 .45 with a 7+1 capacity and Sig P239 9mm with a 8+1 capacity.

I remember shaking my head at some people buying $75 and $100 "hi-cap" mags.

My wife on the other hand had a Sig P228 as her EDC gun. She did have six 13 rd mags, and bought another five 10 rd mags for her training mags.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00   #66
vettely

To get any extra mags (Glock) I had to send a Dept. letterhead request.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51   #67
mikeflys1
Pastafarian

I was only 11 and had a pre-ban super soaker.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 15:06   #68
Road Dog

Let's see:

Paid $75 for a G17 standard mag with a +2 and thought I got a great deal.

Paid $85 + shipping for a standard G22 mag and was excited to get it.

Saw AR magazines go from $7 brand new to $30 overnight.

Watched $650 ARs go to $2100 in about 2 weeks and people were scrambling to buy them.

Saw $350 AK types go from $350 to around 1K.

IDPA matches that began "anyone with high caps down load to 10" to keep the matches even.

I did not buy several pistols because standard mags were unavailable or cost prohibitive.

And I remember the mid term elections that sent most of the people that voted for the "assault weapons ban" to the unemployment line.

RD

Last edited by Road Dog; 01-15-2013 at 15:07.. Reason: you'll never know lol
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:24   #69
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
I had just graduated the Academy. Remember going to the Chief and getting a letter for magazines.
Old 01-15-2013, 21:14   #70
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6roll View Post
I had just graduated the Academy. Remember going to the Chief and getting a letter for magazines.
I had just graduated as well but we were issued the weapon and 3 magazines so didn't need to buy any more but when I did buy some for my own weapons, I didn't need a letterhead, just my ID.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:47   #71
Badger54
CLM Number 277
Charter Lifetime Member

I just turned 8 so not too much.:p

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-16-2013, 00:08   #72
USSOCOM

This all makes me want to get that .50 BMG Barrett much sooner than planned.
Old 01-16-2013, 00:35   #73
WASRfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The thing I remember most about the 1994 AWB is it took the Democrats 4 years to get it passed (they started in 1989 after the Stockton School Yard Massacre) and they held both houses of Congress and the White House and once the passed it they lost the House of Representatives for the first time in 30 years.

That's what I remember about the 1994 AWB.
No. The 89-ban was an offshoot of the ongoing cocaine cowboy drug wars - despite the '86 MG ban - coupled with the Stockton, CA schoolyard "massacre" done by a direlect with a Norc AKM.
With the Brady shooting fresh in everyones head, Bush The Elder had his Drug-czar Bennet do a Biden impersonation and come up with a plan to end the violence.

This gave us 922 and effectively shut down/neutered the best of the imported "EBRs" - like HK PDW pistols with vertical grips, HK94s, Uzis, verticle foregrips on the 1927A5 Thompson "pistols".
Now our import EBRs had thumbholes and Sarah Brady dildoes on the ends of our threaded barrels, and no dreaded flashhider and bayo lugs. Hi-caps were unaffected.

Prices jumped - but not as retarded as now and mostly on the "pre-89" imports.

The 94 AWB came from Klinton, as apparently the 89-ban didn't go far enough to ban hi-caps. He got it thru by putting the auto-expire on it.
Gun prices were not horrible, but hi-caps were super expensive.

Importers and mfgs got creative with the 94-ban with AKs like the WUM, CUR, Romak, MAK90s, SA85s, brakes as opposed to flashhiders.

The Klinton CHICOM ban was a side issue to all of these prior bans and was primarily due to the still-Red Chinese slipping sanitized select-fire AKs into SoCal street gangs. That'd piszz me off too, so I can't fault Klinton on that one.
WASRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35   #74
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

The 89 ban caused all the guns affected by it to go up in price overnight. I remember seeing the prices change because I went to the same gunstore both before the ban and the day after the ban. Same gun displayed in the same rack but double the price.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:39   #75
WEATHERBY460

who was the president that forced the ban?
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33   #76
random southpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfrellc View Post
Back in the days, everything was grandfathered. How long after 1994 were pre-ban magazines still sold by the major online retailers? I can't remember but I thought it was forever.
I think the 30 round magazine is the lightening rod of the antis vs. the pro 2As against te tyranny of the Govn't. Don't think they will be grandfathered next time around.

Said ban was in effect when the Columbine Murders took place. That ban did absolutely NOTHING to prevent Columbine from happening!
random southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 00:35   #77
WASRfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
who was the president that forced the ban?
Nixon for the GCA of 68

Reagan during the 86-MG ban - supposedly snuck in the middle of night session

Bush I for the 89-import ban and 922 restrictions - with Reagan's nod. The 922 stuff is still in effect.

Klinton for the 94 AWB - with Bush I and Reagan's nods. This expired for Free America under Bush II, but the 89-ban 922 crap remains.

Klinton for the CHICOM ban, still in effect. No more MAK-90s.

Recognize that the Republicans haven't exactly been the most 2A friendly bunch?
Old 01-17-2013, 00:45   #78
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASRfan View Post
Nixon for the GCA of 68

Reagan during the 86-MG ban - supposedly snuck in the middle of night session

Bush I for the 89-import ban and 922 restrictions - with Reagan's nod. The 922 stuff is still in effect.

Klinton for the 94 AWB - with Bush I and Reagan's nods. This expired for Free America under Bush II, but the 89-ban 922 crap remains.

Klinton for the CHICOM ban, still in effect. No more MAK-90s.

Recognize that the Republicans haven't exactly been the most 2A friendly bunch?

Watch the video of it for yourself. The Hughes amendment was added under very shaky legislative terms to a pro-gun bill. Blaming Reagan for it is short-sighted.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 01-17-2013 at 00:48.. Reason: GT handles YT videos in an odd way...
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22   #79
WASRfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
<snip> The Hughes amendment was added under very shaky legislative terms to a pro-gun bill. Blaming Reagan for it is short-sighted.
Nope, happened during Reagan, not by Reagan.

He gave us FOPA - which we all enjoy everytime we buy ammo without logging it, ammo over the 'net, and all that nice ex-WWII milsurp carbines and Garands that were allowed in.
Old 01-17-2013, 18:28   #80
fg17

I was mostly shooting revolvers and bolt action rifles. Still do, althogth I have always had a pistol around, right now I have a G17 because I like shooting GSSF matches. I remember still being able to get anything you want as long as you could afford the outragous prices, I wont play that game. Other than that it did not hurt my shooting enjoyment at all. I did buy a ruger pistol that came with 10 roung mags with a cheesy stopper at the bottom.
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote