Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46   #41
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

I remember buying a new Colt AR, and selling it 6mo later for three times what I paid
Old 12-30-2012, 13:07   #42
Mil-Spec

Two things stand out in my mind about the 1994 Clinton "Crime Bill" a.k.a. assault weapons ban (AWB) including the so-called "high-capacity" magazine ban.

In April 1994 I had just gotten to Osan AB, ROK for a 1-year tour and remember being frustrated by all the references to "high-capacity" magazines by the Left and the mass media. The gun writers at the time (I don' t recall specifically which one(s) now) correctly pointed out that the AWB affected standard capacity magazines. The guns were designed to use a certain capacity magazine; it was the Left mislabeling them to suit their agenda.

The other thing that stands out was that when I was later returning from Ramstein AB, Germany in 2001, still under the AWB, I had to sell my standard capacity mags over there since I could not yet import them into the US. Over there I had purchased several Sigs, including a P229, as well as an HK USPC and a G23. Over there they came with the factory original standard capacity mags, naturally. Of course, the HK, and my other Sigs that I bought there (220, 239, and 232) were already designed for 10 rounds or less and therefore were unaffected by the stupidity of the AWB mag limits. I had my Dad procure two available 13 rounders for my G23 ($$$), and three each USA Mag 9mm 20- and 30-rounders for my P89 and PC-9 before I got back. I still have those extended magazines in my safe. I had to wait until 2004 before I finally got standard capacity mags for my 229; I had been using the then-legal (and available) 10-rounders up to then.

Since I learned from that experience, after I bought my Sig 556ER rifle back in 2007, and then my S&W AR in 2012, I've been buying a PMAG here and there "just in case"... I WAS thinking of selling my Sig 556 to finance a suppressor for my AR, but now I'm inclined to hang onto it for a while. I'll sell my motorcycle instead. May even put a scope and bipod on the Sig 556.

That's what I remember from the first (and hopefully last!) "assault weapons" ban; let's not go down that dead-end road again...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Mil-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 13:51   #43
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Helluva good post.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 14:00   #44
mgs
Always Carrying

I remember it did not work and I bought my first Glock G17 because of it. All it did is make guns look silly and magazines expensive. Did not effect crime rates at all. It was feel good bull**** by stupid politicians. We now have stupid people to agree with the stupid politicians who want to control everyone.

Last edited by mgs; 12-30-2012 at 14:02..
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 15:09   #45
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
The G19 was not as ridiculous as seeing full sized guns like the G17 and Beretta 92FS with piddly 10 rounders which were either blocked off or single column.

Why even bother with those guns if you are limited to the same capacity as a smaller or lighter gun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Well, you still have a larger grip, longer barrel, and sight radius. But yes, it's pretty silly, overall.
Yes, a G34 with a 10 round magazine will still outshoot a G19 with 10 round magazines in most peoples hands. I actually use the 10 round magazines in my G34 now, mostly because I do shoot matches in NJ where you can't have more than 15. Luckily, they work just fine, though I find I replace the springs more frequently.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 15:14   #46
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I remember lots of jams in my Beretta 92fs using the 10rd mags it came with.

I remember having to get the Sheriff to sign an authorization form stating that I was buying a gun or magazines for LE related work before I could order standard capacity magazines.

I remember paying $50 bucks for a pre ban 15rd Beretta magazine that had seen better days.

Most of all I remember seeing a convicted felon in possession of a fully automatic AK47 with 40rd magazines with no regard what so ever for the AWB laws he was breaking when he committed a robbery and led officers on a high speed chase.

The AWB was useless and made it difficult for lots of honest people to enjoy their favorite sport and protect themselves.
Yep, just hurts the good people, but then the people behind this already know that.

BTW: I was shooting Beretta in competition during the ban, and I had no reliability issues with the 10 round magazines. Sorry to hear you experience wasn't the same.
Old 12-30-2012, 16:29   #47
wirenut

I remember the democraps loosing thier hineys in the elections and I HOPE THEY REMEMBER!
wirenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 19:02   #48
Sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfrellc View Post
Back in the days, everything was grandfathered. How long after 1994 were pre-ban magazines still sold by the major online retailers? I can't remember but I thought it was forever.
I think the 30 round magazine is the lightening rod of the antis vs. the pro 2As against te tyranny of the Govn't. Don't think they will be grandfathered next time around.
The bad guys had plenty of 30 rounders. You could buy em on the street for 20 bucks.
Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 19:38   #49
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Yes, a G34 with a 10 round magazine will still outshoot a G19 with 10 round magazines in most peoples hands. I actually use the 10 round magazines in my G34 now, mostly because I do shoot matches in NJ where you can't have more than 15. Luckily, they work just fine, though I find I replace the springs more frequently.
Yes, there are always reasons such as hunting or competition where you have round limits, and people's hand sizes and preferences and dietary preferences and religious beliefs and which side of the bed they woke up on all comes into play but my thing is, all things being equal to the buyer and he can shoot all the guns the same, what's the point of having a way bigger gun if you can't hold more rounds.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 19:39   #50
wct097

I remember looking at a Mini-30 with a folding stock at a gun store and wanting one. Then I bought the gun and started learning the law and realized that I couldn't put a folding stock on it legally and that the one at the gun store was probably illegal as it was "new".

I also remember picking up a pair of Eagle Arms AR lowers from Quantico Firearms at a gun show a few months before the ban expired and waiting so that I could legally assemble it as a post-ban AR.

I think I still have PMs in my inbox from a mod here scolding me for posting pics of my stripped lower with an adjustable stock screwed into it.

I remember finding 30 rounders for my Mini-30 and 15 rounders for my S&W 910 fairly easily online and at gun shows in the early 2000's. Somewhat pricy, but still found them.

I wish I wasn't in a financial tight spot (remodeling a newly purchased foreclosure), because I'd really like to pick up a Gen4 G19 with 3 15 rounders.
Old 12-30-2012, 19:47   #51
michael e

Seeing people pay 80 for a12 round mag when 10 rounders where only 20 bucks.
The ugly thumb hole stocks on mak-90's

I was only 12 when it went into effect. Hoping we don't see another one.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 23:14   #52
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

The thing I remember most about the 1994 AWB is it took the Democrats 4 years to get it passed (they started in 1989 after the Stockton School Yard Massacre) and they held both houses of Congress and the White House and once the passed it they lost the House of Representatives for the first time in 30 years.

That's what I remember about the 1994 AWB.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 23:19   #53
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The thing I remember most about the 1994 AWB is it took the Democrats 4 years to get it passed (they started in 1989 after the Stockton School Yard Massacre) and they held both houses of Congress and the White House and once the passed it they lost the House of Representatives for the first time in 30 years.

That's what I remember about the 1994 AWB.
There are plenty of Democrats that remember, too.
Old 12-30-2012, 23:25   #54
doktarZues
I'm anti-anti

I was clueless..In late August/early September of 2004, I was at Fort Riley, KS, and went about 1,000ft off post to purchase my first gun, a G19. (I actually bought the G19, a Maverick 88, and a 10/22 all at the same time. Man that was a beautiful day for me.) I never batted an eye or questioned that the mag held 10 rounds only. I supposed that was normal, I guess.

A close buddy of mine, equally clueless, liked my G19, and bought the same thing from the same gun shop around Christmas time, and I remember us both scratching our heads that his came with 15 round mags. WTF, Over!

I've been shooting and collecting ever since..
Old 12-30-2012, 23:33   #55
chewybaca67

Send a message via AIM to chewybaca67 Send a message via Yahoo to chewybaca67
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmdshooter View Post
Bought my first AR during the ban... a new 16" Bushmaster XM15-E2S/A2 carbine... fixed stock, no bayo lug or flash hider, but a perfectly good rifle. Came with a couple of lame 10 round mags, but used military 30 rounders weren't all that hard to find at shows; and weren't THAT expensive. Bought a handful of those, stripped them down and refinished the bodies, then replaced the followers and springs to create essentially new mags.

Still have the rifle and the mags... though the fixed stock got replaced with a collapsible one in 2004 when the ban expired.
:
I had one of them too. My 1st AR type also. It served me well for nthe time. Soon as 2004 rolled around I traded it for a Bushy with collapsable stock, removable carry handle/rear sight, flash hider and bayonet lug.

Main thing I remember is that there wasn't nearly as many firearm manufactures as there is now. Wonder if that will make any difference this time around.

Last edited by chewybaca67; 12-31-2012 at 16:10..
chewybaca67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51   #56
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I remembered that I sold off my Beretta AR70 and FN FNC for some princely sums.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:52   #57
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Yes, there are always reasons such as hunting or competition where you have round limits, and people's hand sizes and preferences and dietary preferences and religious beliefs and which side of the bed they woke up on all comes into play but my thing is, all things being equal to the buyer and he can shoot all the guns the same, what's the point of having a way bigger gun if you can't hold more rounds.
Hunting or competition, or range use, or home defense, or basically anything other that CCW, I argue the full size is still the better option for most.

Consider how much more popular the 5" 1911 is over the Commander size 1911s, both having the same round count.

YMMV

Last edited by BuckyP; 12-31-2012 at 06:54..
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26   #58
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael e View Post
Seeing people pay 80 for a12 round mag when 10 rounders where only 20 bucks.
The ugly thumb hole stocks on mak-90's

I was only 12 when it went into effect. Hoping we don't see another one.
I also remember the ugly thumbhole stock AK's as a teen. High prices for Glock magazines ($60-80) were another vivid memory.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04   #59
FireForged
Millenium #3936

All I remember was the endless search for mags and all the millions of threads on "which mag was best".

All the RAGE were:

Thermold
Orlite (mold #23 up)
USGI 20's
USGI 30's (as long as they were not coopers)
Old 12-31-2012, 16:40   #60
MStarmer
In Jail...

30rnd mags NIW weren't that hard to find on AR15.com. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 (Center Industries) and I ended up with (10). I'm still using them today with new MagPul guts. Original Colt 20's though were quite expensive and elusive, at least for me. I lived easy enough without the flash hider or bayonet lug but I really missed the adjustable stock! Those evil features increase the killing efficiency exponentially! Just holding a preban gun back then could kill you...