SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:42   #1
DowntimeLA
in da swamp

best carwash methods

What's the best way to wash off heavy road grime and dirt from a vehicle without scratching the finish?

I understand that it's usually better to hand wash with wash mitts or soft cloths, but at some point when dirt is very heavy is it better to use a power washer/brush?

Last edited by DowntimeLA; 12-27-2012 at 12:43..
DowntimeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47   #2
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Rinse of the heavy grit off with a hose or power washer (careful not to get too aggressive with a high pressure unit)
Then go with the mitt, sponge or towel making sure to rinse it out good between small sections so you don't pick up too much dirt and turn the thing into sandpaper.

Keep the thing you use to keep your car clean clean....easy, and be patient.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47   #3
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntimeLA View Post
What's the best way to wash off heavy road grime and dirt from a vehicle without scratching the finish?

I understand that it's usually better to hand wash with wash mitts or soft cloths, but at some point when dirt is very heavy is it better to use a power washer/brush?
Garden hose getting off the big, nasty stuff. Then switch to soft cloth and high-quality car wash products to actually get it clean.

Do not use a power-washer for anything other than removing big chunks of mud from a good distance away.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 13:35   #4
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

I use an 1800psi Karcher pressure washer on my cars, and two wash buckets(clean w/soap and a rinse). I will spray my car really well, knocking off all the heavy stuff, before even thinking of taking a wash mitt to it. When it's time to use the microfiber mitt, I wash from the top down, hitting the rockers last. Careful around any seams along the rocker panels, or around the bottom of the fenders, that's where sand/gravel will gather, and all it takes is one grain to ruin your day. I also use an electric leaf blower to knock the heavy water off, and lightly use a microfiber towel to dry the rest. I'm OC about my paint, but doing it that way, I have no scratches, and no swirls. Most paint damage is done when washing.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote