Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:44   #1
ViennaGambit

Sell Safe-Queen "Investments" Now or Wait?

Lets say one had some semi-auto rifle safe-queens that were bought as investments and not getting shot at all...

With the proposition of a ban on its way, and based on those who have lived through the last one:

Would it make sense to sell now or wait?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47   #2
CanMan

It's kind of a roll of the dice. If you want short term gain, sell now. Want to ride the market? Hold on to 'em. Or if you're ever thinking of replacing them, why get rid of them at all. I'm keeping mine! During the '94 AWB lots of adulterated rifles were for sale for extremely inflated prices. If or when there's another AWB will there be a sunset clause included?
S&W Club #43

Last edited by CanMan; 12-26-2012 at 12:51..
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 13:22   #3
byf43
NRA Life Member

IF there's another 'ban', there will be NO 'sunset'. The sphincter muscles in office have said that, since "Day 1".

Tell you how I feel about it. . . . I'm not sellin' anything. (Unless someone offers me an incredibly high price!)

I don't have much. . . . but. . . . what I have is nice.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 17:16   #4
Jim Watson

A friend was telling of a guy he knew who just coincidentally bought the SIG mutation of AR right before the Sandy Hook murders. He looked at the early panickers and went back to buy the two remaining in stock while they lasted. He says he will turn them over when he can triple his money. Going price on that model is already up to about 2.5X retail.
Old 12-26-2012, 22:06   #5
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

No matter what happens, your guns will be worth a lot more in the future than they are now.

Even if you can only sell them to resistance fighters in some dark ally.

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-26-2012 at 22:10..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 22:37   #6
I'M Glockamolie

I bought a Bushy Carbon 15 strictly as a speculator. I'm going to the gun show this weekend anyway, and I bet I can double my money...if I choose. Mine was bought today at what would have been a pretty good price 3 weeks ago. Right now, insane money. And I don't need it.
Old 12-26-2012, 22:53   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

This is the problem when you think of firearms as an investment. You could be holding on to something that you will NEVER be able to sell legally. Or you could be holding on to something that you can sell now and buy back in a couple weeks for half the price. You never really know.

Think of the guy who filed his paperwork to make his semi-auto AR-15 into an M16 just a week before no one could make them any more. Great job, but I bed he never expected the price of the M16 to be where it is today.

On the flip side, think of the guy who sold his M16 just before you could no longer get them. We all say "what a moron", but I am sure they never saw it coming.

Then again, I didn't sell as the ban was running out. I feared that they would pass another and I wouldn't be able to get another AR-15.

So I guess my question is, how many AR-15s do you have. If you sell this one, would you be able to live your life without getting another.

I have a couple receivers I purchased a couple years ago. I am tempted to sell them. They are not being used. I have other rifles. If I had to, I could live my life with my other rifles, but where do you get off the money train.
Old 12-26-2012, 23:41   #8
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Lets say one had some semi-auto rifle safe-queens that were bought as investments and not getting shot at all...

With the proposition of a ban on its way, and based on those who have lived through the last one:

Would it make sense to sell now or wait?

Thanks.
If you only bought them with the intent of making money on them should a new AWB rear it's ugly head, then NOW IS THE TIME!

The panic WILL subside and it will be very soon. I have already seen it happening on Bud's auctions.

My advice.....sell now!!!!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 23:43   #9
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Your thread has me wondering if I should sell my 1953 Russian Tula SKS with all matching serial numbers ...
Old 12-26-2012, 23:54   #10
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Your thread has me wondering if I should sell my 1953 Russian Tula SKS with all matching serial numbers ...
Don't do it!!!!!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10   #11
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I think if you do that your going to wake up every morning starting about 3 months from now, and going to want to kick your own ***. Those rifles (carbines actually) started going up in price way before any of this latest AWB even started. Mine isn't going anywhere. There great rifles that are built like tanks, extremely reliable, and are inexpensive to shoot by todays standards.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28   #12
Baba Louie

Depending on how many you have "safed away" consider selling half of them (pick a % number that suits you) and invest that money elsewhere?

All of them? Probably not, but if you have your shooters, keep them and look to replenish your ammunition or reloading supplies. Or maybe add a "grail" gun or two to your safe.

That might be one approach.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 13:21   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Don't do it!!!!!

TGG
Why?
I have a Russian SKS that never gets shot also. I could take that money and put it toward something else I would shoot.
Old 12-27-2012, 14:30   #14
doktarZues
I'm anti-anti

Three likely scenarios..

1. Gun ban never materializes, and you'll wish you sold them now.

2. Gun ban materializes, but transfer or even grandfather clause is forbidden, making the gun illegal to even own. Depending how this plays out, most will wish they sold them now.

3. Gun ban materializes, but transfer or grandfather clause is permitted. With no sunset, there is no limit to the price they could fetch years from now. Look at the pre-86 automatic weapons and how much they sell for as an idea.

Personally, I wouldn't consider selling anything right now. Chances are you could turn a quick buck (sell high, buy low once this blows over), but you're risking a potential huge return for comparatively peanuts if this goes the distance.

Personally I'm not in it to gouge, and I hope most aren't, but if they ever got ridiculously expensive, I would have no problem selling a couple of rifles and few dozen mags to pay for my entire remaining collection.
Old 12-27-2012, 15:29   #15
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

I have one, good AR that I definitely will not be selling. I'd love to own more rifles, but unfortunately I'll have to wait until the dust settles before I get them. As far as pistols go, I just sold a G20, and have a J frame up for consignment at a LGS. I hate to sell any of my guns, but I needed to pay down some credit card debt on a few recent acquisitions, so I picked the two I shoot the least and felt were the least "needed" out of my collection.
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 15:36   #16
M&P15T
Beard One

If you bought it to sell later as an appreciateing investment, right-the-hell-now is the time to sell it.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 15:57   #17
mangkukhan

I'll admit that I've been contemplating the same thing for a couple days now. Been seeing AR's going for a disgusting mark up and gotta say the thought of selling two AR's to fund the cost of a $4-$5k Shiloh Sharps builds is very attractive.
Old 12-27-2012, 15:58   #18
SiberianErik

I have heard the term investment used in my gunshop more in the last week then ever before.

EX..a guy in his 40's came in w/his young daughter, I thought they would be looking at the usual 10/22 as that was what they had looked at earlier. I left to go to lunch, well I hear some chatter over our radios that the AR-50 just sold grrrr. I look out and its the guy w/the little girl. I ask him about it and he says it is strictly an investment and he has no plan on shooting it. It was #50 of 300 made by Armalite. It was heavy as hell as it took two of us to lug it out to his Lexus.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote