Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:30   #1
TallPaulSeattle

Glock 34 Gen 4 Review

Does shoot better than my 17 but the trigger is heavier - guess I have to shoot it more. Really don't want to start messing around with springs and connectors although I hear the Ghost 3.5 is the best. I do think the longer barrel helps the sight picture and while I do like steel sights better, I want to keep this pistol as it came. I do like grip plugs and will add one - not so much for lint but the magazines slide in better. I have large hands so the large backstrap makes all the difference in fit. My excuse to buy? Would like to shoot some USPSA matches. Do I need an excuse?

Last edited by TallPaulSeattle; 01-01-2013 at 01:13..
TallPaulSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50   #2
amazon

FWIW, I swapped out the trigger bar with a Gen 3 and it improved. That "bump" does make the trigger pull a tad heavy.

My 34 is my favorite to shoot.

and no, no excuse needed, lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 16:03   #3
LuckyG

Bought a Gen4 G34 end of last year. Got about 2,000 rounds and a lot of dry-fire through it. I would do both on yours and just see if the trigger "improves". My gun is for carry and the only thing I have done is add Warren Tactical sights. They would be a nice sight for IDPA as well. I like the stock trigger the way it is.

Everybody has different preferences and tastes. There are also production variances within the same model guns. Having said that, I have worked all the actions on my 1911's and Sig DA/SA's because they NEEDED improvement. Just polishing of critical parts - no spring games.

The G34 is the only one I did not need to touch. BTW - this is coming from a guy with a Wilson Pro that has a crisp 3.5# trigger.
LuckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 21:49   #4
bac1023

I planto get a G34 at some point, but I'm not sure about a Gen 4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:39   #5
DustyDawg48

I'm hoping to drop a Gen 4'Glock 34 review here shortly...hearing that mine will be in tomorrow, knock on wood!
Glock 21 Club member #1109
NRA Life Member
IDPA Member
WSSC of Indiana Member
DustyDawg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 13:38   #6
pevadijk

I also have a Gen4 34 and I swapped the trigger bar for a Gen3 version and added Sevigny Competition sights......it shoots very nicely and the trigger is much better with the Gen3 trigger bar.
pevadijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 13:58   #7
lyodbraun

I like my G4 34 as well, I ended up taking a file to that bump on the trigger bar, made trigger feel much better... so far ive had no issues with mine have put prob around 300-700 rounds thru it..
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:17   #8
TallPaulSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaulSeattle View Post
Does shoot better than my 17 but the trigger is heavier - guess I have to shoot it more. Really don't want to start messing around with springs and connectors although I hear the Ghost 3.5 is the best. I do think the longer barrel helps the sight picture and while I do like steel sights better, I want to keep this pistol as it came. I do like grip plugs and will add one - not so much for lint but the magazines slide in better. I have large hands so the large backstrap makes all the difference in fit. My excuse to buy? Would like to shoot some USPSA matches. Do I need an excuse?
I added the Pearce grip plug and must say that it makes the magazine well very smooth - the rim of some rounds would briefly snag on the original hole that was there. I could see loosing a couple seconds in competition without it. A nice fix for $7, but have to get the right one!
TallPaulSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13   #9
JTSmith
gfdrńł

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I planto get a G34 at some point, but I'm not sure about a Gen 4.
Have there been a lot of bad Gen4 34's?
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:44   #10
iDivideByZero
Padawan

I just picked up a BL gen 4 Glock34 on Saturday, and put a few hundred through it on Sunday. Very accurate, and easy to handle. I was surprised how lightweight it was, and the balance is excellent. I'll be using it for IDPA, and it will pull double duty as a bedside gun. I installed a Ghost Inc. Rocket connector in it. I've also ordered a Surefire X300 Ultra (not for IDPA use), Talon grip tape, and Warren Tactical sights for it.

Last edited by iDivideByZero; 01-02-2013 at 02:06.. Reason: wrong connector listed previously
iDivideByZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 23:07   #11
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaulSeattle View Post
Does shoot better than my 17 but the trigger is heavier...
How can that be? If the 34 isn't a Blue Label, it comes with Glock's OEM 4.5# connector (which Glock used to measure like Ghost and formerly called it 3.5#). Bump on the trigger bar, or not, the 34 red or white label should NOT be heavier than a stock 17. Does your box say "4.5LB" on it?
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 23:24   #12
dango

I'm not one to mess with "Perfection". You know that 25 cent
trigger job everybody talks about , well , I did a 15 cent job.

I polished the top of the trigger mechanism housing ,the hump on the trigger bar , broke the sharp edges on the firing pin and the top of the firing pin safety.
Snap caps and before you know it , beautiful thing !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 23:25   #13
iDivideByZero
Padawan

My Blue Label came with the '-' connector. Is that not normal?
Old 01-01-2013, 23:52   #14
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDivideByZero View Post
My Blue Label came with the '-' connector. Is that not normal?
Blue Labels can come either way - but if it is set up as a duty gun, the new Gen4s should come with the dot (.) connector and the Gen3s with the standard (no marking) connector. My Blue Label Gen3 G34 OD came with a 5.5# standard connector and fixed sights, set up as a duty gun.

ETA: Why on earth would you put a Ghost connector in a nice G34 Glock with a (-) connector already in it??

Last edited by SARDG; 01-01-2013 at 23:54..
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05   #15
iDivideByZero
Padawan

The Ghost feels better to me, and has almost no over-travel once the striker is released. With no over-travel the follow through is cleaner, and it reduces the length to reset. Overall, I just enjoy shooting a trigger with those characteristics. My carry 26 had a stock trigger in it, but now that I had this spare '-' I swapped that into the 26 (after polishing it of course).

I edited my earlier post to correct an error I made: I didn't install the Ultimate, but rather a Rocket connector. The Rocket has the nub that prevents over-travel.

Last edited by iDivideByZero; 01-02-2013 at 02:07..
iDivideByZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
How can that be? If the 34 isn't a Blue Label, it comes with Glock's OEM 4.5# connector (which Glock used to measure like Ghost and formerly called it 3.5#). Bump on the trigger bar, or not, the 34 red or white label should NOT be heavier than a stock 17. Does your box say "4.5LB" on it?

Not true. I have owned...four G34s (still own two of them). One is a red label, the other three were white labels. Two of the white label guns had 5.5lb connectors in them.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22   #17
Fordtough25

Congrats! I want a G34 real bad, and have for a while. Nobody around me stocks one so I have to go out of town, hopefully iin the next 2 months I will get one. It just looks like a sweet shooter!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38   #18
96hog

I judt purchased a new red label G34 G4/adjustable sight with an August dated shell case .
I has a dot(.) connector in it.
I wonder if Glock Inc would send a minus(-) to me??
Why does it have a (.) connector????
Old 01-02-2013, 18:53   #19
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Not true. I have owned...four G34s (still own two of them). One is a red label, the other three were white labels. Two of the white label guns had 5.5lb connectors in them.
I think I've been guilty of over-generalization. I would expect 34s to generally be rigged as I stated, but you've shown that they (and any Glock run) could be configured very differently. Certainly, if the connector is important to the purchaser, they should check the box and see how that particular gun may be configured. My OD G34 had the standard conector and I had to install the minus connector at my own expense, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me as I wanted the OD. The sights were plastic fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hog View Post
I judt purchased a new red label G34 G4/adjustable sight with an August dated shell case .
I has a dot(.) connector in it.
I wonder if Glock Inc would send a minus(-) to me??
Why does it have a (.) connector????
See above. I would expect Red Label 34s to have a minus (-), but if Glock didn't build that gun with a minus from the factory, you won't get a minus connector from Glock. Glock won't normally send any parts to you (except perhaps a warranted replacement RSA), and won't even send minus connectors to Armorers unless it's as a replacement for use in a Glock that came from the factory with one, and if that serial number of that gun is mentioned in the Armorer's order.

Gen4s initially shipped with standard connectors, but stock connector now is the dot (.) and my recent G17 and G26 came with those dots.

A dot (.) connector should be 1/2 lb heavier than the minus connector and some shooters say it is more 'crisp' than the minus. The dot connector allegedly brought Gen4s (with the new trigger bar) down to the Gen3, standard connector, equivalent weight.

These are nominal weights. I have an older Gen3 with standard connector listed as 5lbs, a Gen3 with standard connector listed as 5.5lbs, a Gen3 with minus connectors listed as 4.5lbs, Gen4s with dot connectors listed as 5.5lbs.

ETA: It seems there are a lot of dynamics within supplied connectors and DannyR may have a better handle on Glock trends.

Last edited by SARDG; 01-02-2013 at 18:57..
Old 01-02-2013, 22:47   #20
Tom D

I'm really new to my Glock 34. Bare with me if you would.
Generation ? Im sure for the most part its not a gen4 so Im assuming its a Gen3. I bought it new just recently 3 weeks ago so it wouldn't be anything else would it? Im assuming.

Sights are adjustable.

The marking you are talking about (-) (.) and so on. What are you referencing from this thread Im understanding trigger weight?

My Box is a red label and #4.5 (trigger weight/pull) there is also a code TMZ322 on the label what does that mean?

A few years ago I had a mod21 and loved it. I think Im going to feel the same with this one. CAn someone recommend a good armorers manual, assembly and reassembly etc.

Im very familiar with 1911's and the Glock is "a very new experience" Haven't shot but a few rounds but plan to load up some lead 124 lrn and 126 lswc in a few days. Should be fun.

Last edited by Tom D; 01-02-2013 at 22:49..
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote