Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56   #1
high ground

To those pi$$ed about price gouging

Is it just me or is it hypocritical to claim to be a conservative but then be pi$$ed when businesses raise prices due to high demand? Isn't supply vs demand a core principle of free market economies? If you are truly offended, don't buy from them. Then, when the next ban comes, when a 30 round pmag is $200, you will reminisce about when they were only $50. Just my perspective. Kinda like waiting until your team is in the super bowl and complaining that a $10 t shirt cost $30.
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59   #2
high ground

Or waiting until the blizzard a find yourself without a shovel. Finally find a store that has them at double the price. And yes, i bought a snow shovel last month too.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05   #3
Ruggles

So now we can't comment on 300% mark ups on products? God forbid we say something to someone about their crappy business practices, we might offend them. Again I ask why does anybody care what we say about these gouges? Buy from them if you want, we won't. Simple as that. But to expect no comments when the raise their prices to 4 x normal is crazy.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I could care less,.....if someone wants to price gouge.
If a buyer is stupid enough to buy over priced goods, shame on him.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37   #5
grumpy1

Quote:
Is it just me or is it hypocritical to claim to be a conservative but then be pi$$ed when businesses raise prices due to high demand?
I could care less about what someone wants to sell their product for. I am more ticked off at why that is so when it comes to another attempt at an AWB. Same goes for energy prices being much higher than they need to be because of lack of an energy policy that will make us energy dependent and cow towing to the greens.

In a way I guess I am getting a last laugh. I made sure I am well prepared so as that recent price spikes are not a concern to me. I find it hilarious that those that I know that are panicking voted for obama and told me he would NEVER attempt anything like this.

Last edited by grumpy1; 12-23-2012 at 09:41..
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48   #6
high ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
So now we can't comment on 300% mark ups on products? God forbid we say something to someone about their crappy business practices, we might offend them. Again I ask why does anybody care what we say about these gouges? Buy from them if you want, we won't. Simple as that. But to expect no comments when the raise their prices to 4 x normal is crazy.
Say what you want. But remember most gun shops are small businesses that have taken substantial risk in supporting us. FFL licenses aren't free. They have the risk of going out of business with the signing of an executive order. If i don't like the price i go elsewhere. They wouldn't be raising their prices if people weren't willing to pay them. Look around. Its hard to find any AR stuff. Sounds like capitalism at work to me.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51   #7
high ground

I don't like paying for overpriced stuff. But if not for supply and demand, i would be driving a Porsche and not a 10 year old pickup. You gotta pay to play.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57   #8
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

In the famous words of Gordon Gecko, "Greed is good."
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59   #9
Bruce M

Maybe the difference between savvy business decision and gouging is the difference between whether you have something someone else really wants or you really want something someone else has.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02   #10
Tango 1Zero

The problem is when they do a 300% mark up on the first day someone mentions a ban.
Especially when someone has made the purchases and they cancel the orders and then say hey we restocked now its 300% increase in price.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13   #11
Bob Hafler

OK, So let me get this straight. If you knew someone who would give you three times what your glock is worth you wouldn't sell it? Sure you wouldn't.
The Two local GS that I frequent never raised there prices. They have both been in business long enough to know you do not mess with loyal customers. Perhaps that's why they have been in business so long.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23   #12
Navyguns

There is no legislation on the floor. There will be no ban. Congress cannot get anything done! Business owners chose to go into business thus they should understand the risk. They are not victims of the cost to do business.

Americans are dumb and will panic buy anything. If Americans were smart enough not to pay 300% mark up, the prices would drop. I look at it this way. The used ar15 market will be flooded in several months from all these people that bought more than they needed. Since the ban will never get through, their $1400 ar15 will be bought for $700.
Navyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34   #13
Tango 1Zero

Sure I would sell some stuff at a mark up but dam. As a good company you would sell out your current stock then if and when you restock maybe a suttle price increase to reflect the orders and help you have hired or overtime you have run up to get the orders out.
That means a lot after all is said and done. Thats how a business keeps loyal customers.
Hell they even hiked 5.56 ammo to $800 a case.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46   #14
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango 1Zero View Post
Especially when someone has made the purchases and they cancel the orders and then say hey we restocked now its 300% increase in price.
That is not an ethical way to do business and discourages long term relationships with customers.

It is akin to not honoring a contract.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57   #15
mixflip

Whats the difference between price gouging and shops adapting to a free market economy and their competition?

Dont get me wrong I hate it...but I dont worry about it much because I already have the guns I need/want. If someone if desperate or foolish enough to pay stupid prices... thats on them not me.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03   #16
Tango 1Zero

I dont think its even in the same arena the way Cheaper than Dirt handled its Business.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:10   #17
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by high ground View Post
They have the risk of going out of business with the signing of an executive order.
Where do people come up with this nonsense? Obozo can't ban firearms by executive order.

Even though Obozo THINKS he's God, he's not and even the idiot Eric Holder would tell him it isn't wise to defy two Supreme Court rulings which clearly say firearms ownership is a right protected by the 2nd Amendment. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 13:52   #18
Locojmc
Native Texan

It is interesting to look a Buds website. They have six different actions going for popular products, four different ARs, and a couple of AK pistols. Price for a Colt 6920 is up to 3100.00. No price gouging here, they are letting the buyer set the price.
Old 12-23-2012, 13:56   #19
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I could care less,.....if someone wants to price gouge.
If a buyer is stupid enough to buy over priced goods, shame on him.
Quoted for the truth. It's not my fault some dumb ass was stupid enough to pay me $300 for 10 PMags.
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 14:19   #20
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

they should sell what ever they want for what ever they want.

as long as folks buy it, they will sell it.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote