Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 18:03   #1
randr1979

On get ups and car stickers - two different approaches to personal security

There appears to be two schools of thought on how one dresses up when one is carrying concealed and they stem from rather different rationales.

You have your dress classy and neat and conceal properly school (the "conceal properly" is the prescribed method by the PNP - they have no stand on the "dress classy" part).

In my perception this means try to dress so that you would not look out of place even if you were to walk into the lobby of Edsa Shangrila. No cargo pants, no gun related t-shirts, collared shirts preferable (and not the PSG or Bodyguard type), no unsightly bulges (except in front of my pants - sorry, it's just my genes [no pun]), no idpa/ipsc hats, no tell tale folding knife clips showing, definitely no "Assassin" type bags (geez those guys were insufferable during the DSAS), no belt bags, especially those handgun concealment types, and the limited and discreet use of "tacticool" brands (maxpedition, 5.11, blackhawk!, underarmour -frankly this brandname sounds wrong, ya know the drill, etcetera).

The rationale for this is simple, PNP already tells us to conceal the firearm, to keep from unnecessarily alarming the public sheep comfortable in their possibly false sense of safety and nicey-nice-shiny-happy-people world view, and also to perhaps give you that element of surprise if the unthinkable happens.

Which brings me to the other school, which because of its overt nature appears to be the prevailing manner in which a lot of people carry (or portray that they are carrying) concealed weapons. You know the type, "insured by (insert brand here)" sticker on the car, tacticool clothing, PNP111/PPSA vanity plates, stryder sa kanang bulsa and emerson sa kaliwa', maxpedition bag with 5.11 Nalgene water bottle, 5.11 na watch w/ ballistic table function (di naman sniper), etcetera. The rationale for this seems to be, if i look like a "gunny" off duty police officer, those street thugs will look for a softer target. It is passive intimidation.

Now my question is if the motivation of the person doing either these things is to minimize or eliminate possibility of becoming a target but also have at hand appropriate measures to deal with street threats sino ang mas effective ang ginagawa'? (who is more effective?)

Personally I subscribe to PNP directives, concealed properly, no hint that it's there. (What's where? I don't know what you are talking about.) Sometimes even going as far as dressing hipster to project a lib dem image na hindi kaduda dudang may bakal. (wearing hipster attire to not be profiled as packing) I even placed a "kung walang baril walang mababaril" (if there are no guns there will be no shootings) bumper sticker from Nandy on my daily drive (he thinks I support his retarded cause just because I buy his expensive lugaw when he does a fundraising sa subdivision namin). My rationale is I want to follow the law and iwas pusoy ka sa mga taong baka pag planuhan ka. (avoid people who might hatch a plan to rob you since you are obviously packing)

Now am I possibly honeypotting? Maybe. Could it be I am actually inviting an incident by doing this? Kung ako magnanakaw, sarap hablutan ng iphone 5 yung payatot na hipster na palakad lakad sa street. Could it be na sa pinoy culture mas mabuti nang mag portray nang "wag mo akong subukan" (don't try me) na image to make you a less attractive target (like what bright and colorful venomous animals do, and spiked creatures too.)?

What's your take on this?

Have you any first hand information of a car that was broken into where you have good reason to believe that the thief wanted to get to guns inside because of stickers outside possibly indicating its presence? What about snatchers targetting maxpedition type bags because of the possibility of the same? How about robbers in band executing a well thought out plan to rob someone that was obviously packing?*

Ako wala, parang tuloy iniisip ko, maybe those who do the aggressive posturing (even if it's really out of vanity and the pinoy elite's ugali of "Hmmmph! Ako meron, ikaw wala, tumabi ka dyan!" (I have, you are a have not, out of my way!) actually got it right in that they are avoiding the need to ever draw and fire since nobody bugs them in the first place.

Kung ako observant snatcher/holdaper (sic) I won't take my chance on that dude whose clothes and hat is festooned with PNP/Colt/PROGUN insignia and obviously waiting to scratch a notch on his newly acquired 1911 that's loaded with hydrashoks. Yung payatot na hipster na lang na naka iphone 5 ang titirahin ko.

*The incidences of planned attacks that have motivations aside from robbery are not included here, if you are a hot personality or politician, this discussion probably does not apply to you so much, besides you probably have security detail na naka mahaba'.

Last edited by randr1979; 12-02-2012 at 18:54..
randr1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38   #2
Allegra

I doubt criminals would be intimidated w/ 511 cargoes and maxpedition packs or pnp/leo insignias
I'm not a criminal but i wasnt impressed w/ the numerous people wearing them at the gunshow either
I was surprised though that the 2 young guys I was discussing holsters w/ turned out to be pnp/saf. Akala ko mga studyante
Ang nakakatakot yung mga mukang criminal hehe so i guess having an ugly face helps

ppsa and firearms, gun club stickers do catch attention ng bukas kotse and sa checkpoint
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:15   #3
jimbullet

I suppose it depends on the type of criminal. If they are those that are serious at getting at you and are the professional or hardcore type, then those insignias may mean nothing to them but if they are the opportunist type which simply prey on the perceived weak, then it could be a potential deterrent.
BOG#125
PNZ#15130
PAASS Badge#3104
jimbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16   #4
Lowjiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
I doubt criminals would be intimidated w/ 511 cargoes and maxpedition packs or pnp/leo insignias
I'm not a criminal but i wasnt impressed w/ the numerous people wearing them at the gunshow either
I was surprised though that the 2 young guys I was discussing holsters w/ turned out to be pnp/saf. Akala ko mga studyante
Ang nakakatakot yung mga mukang criminal hehe so i guess having an ugly face helps

ppsa and firearms, gun club stickers do catch attention ng bukas kotse and sa checkpoint
I have no idea what you folks are talking about. What does "Akala ko mga studyante Ang nakakatakot yung mga mukang" mean?

Oh, never mind. I won't read the answer anyway.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00   #5
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by randr1979 View Post

There appears to be two schools of thought on how one dresses up when one is carrying concealed and they stem from rather different rationales.
I think you need to stop looking at life through the barrel of a gun. You dress for the environment - work, social, play - and then figure out how to cc appropriately.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 22:42   #6
isuzu

The element of surprise. That's the most important thing when carrying concealed. Be discreet as much as possible.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 19:43   #7
Kaiser Soze
Notorious

I hope you don't find offense with this randr1979, but you're overthinking things waaaaaaaay too much. Just dress appropriately and carry your stuff concealed in the best i.e. , most comfortable, and easily accessible yet secure way.

"Do unto others as they do unto you...but do it FIRST!"

S.O.E. Tambay #7

Last edited by Kaiser Soze; 12-06-2012 at 19:43..
Kaiser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 19:48   #8
randr1979

me take offense? not at all, none taken

i know, can't help it, doing a course on analytical journalism now, just for fun, and some of the girls in the class are pretty ok.

having all this free time (trust fund kiddie shame) isn't helping either, i'll get back to the range and get away from this typewriter.
Old 12-06-2012, 19:54   #9
randr1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
I have no idea what you folks are talking about. What does "Akala ko mga studyante Ang nakakatakot yung mga mukang" mean?

Oh, never mind. I won't read the answer anyway.

just in case you come back for it:

I thought they were students (when in fact they were special action force police officers - elite of our PNP) What's scary are those who look like hoodlums.

Yes there were some tirador (hitmen, armed robbers, etc) looking types at the DSAS hehe.
Old 12-07-2012, 00:46   #10
bf09

im more of a dress to blend type..
not dress to stand out.
i carry concealed most of the time im out of my home..
7 years na minsan may sasakyan most of the time commute lang..
i have seen a lot of those so called "mall ninjas" with those maxpedition gun bags, 511 pants, etc..ive got no beef with them since i believe you should wear what you want however for me i always assume a person with tacticool gear is packing..
while a person wearing plain shirt and jeans or shorts na naka tsinelas with a bench, or lacoste galing sa ukay body bag is less likely to be suspect of packing..
for us gun guys siguro its easy to assume since we know the brands associated w/ guns.but for a regular citizen i dont think mapapansin na ang 511, magpul, etc...
however LEO and BG most know what those symbols are..and what it is we avoid?ma burn out..
so for me ill just stick with my civies jeans/shorts/shirts.and my 180 pesos sling bag from ukay-ukay sa MCS..
bf09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:06   #11
zij11zk

From a Japanese proverb... " The Nail that Sticks Out Gets Hammered..."

I find some logic in these words...

in Manila, we all know that dressing loudly with expensive gears/gizmos/cars... literally gets everyone's attention... including the BGs / Criminals... Many incidents of snatching (iphone/Ipads/MacBooks/Monteros/Omega/Etc..)

I definitely agree with most members' suggestion to dress properly / blend with the crowd / simple yet comfortable / not attracting attention and refrain from exposing your expensive BLING gadgets in public... most specially if you just COMMUTE (i.e. dont have personal transport)... Avoid Loud BRANDS / COLORS if possible when in public...

Secure and Conceal your FA / Blades... Element of Surprise gives you an edge... Be Vigilant and observe your surrounding always... Be watchful of RIDING IN TANDEM while driving...

Be safe.. Be Alert... Be Ready...
zij11zk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02   #12
DragonEye
Spits230grFMJs

Speaking of 5.11 cargoes, these things wear like iron and as comfortable as can be. My black one has literally undergone hundreds of washings and it doesn't fade! I do have to have the pocket seams repaired for carrying a somewhat sharp-edged flashlight everyday but that's it. I cannot say the same for any of my jeans.
DragonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37   #13
Rustrtal

I wear 5.11 pants all the time. My dad is a retired Leo and always gave them to me at Christmas time. Nobody ever notices. There are so many brands of cargo pants on the market, you really think people look at them and say "oh those are 5.11's, he must be packin and the guy behind him in line with Colimbia's isn't."
Rustrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:25   #14
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonEye View Post
Speaking of 5.11 cargoes, these things wear like iron and as comfortable as can be. My black one has literally undergone hundreds of washings and it doesn't fade!
Hi, A
Same reason I favor my cargoes, although I've never
bought 'em for myself: all I have were gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustrtal View Post
I wear 5.11 pants all the time. .... Nobody ever notices.
I've learned to avoid wearing 5.11's (or any cargoes)
whenever I fly, or else I usually get pulled aside for a
'random' patdown.
-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111

Last edited by horge; 01-02-2013 at 14:27..
horge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:55   #15
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Jeans, sandals, untucked t shirt, baseball type cap is my casual to semiformal.
Switch to boots, jeans, untucked button down shirt, and a Stetson for formal.

BTW, I can never remember, for a formal ceremony is it a single or double barrel shotgun?
Old 01-02-2013, 20:37   #16
Allegra

511 yata has the 4 way stretch pants
the same material they use sa MMA shorts ( hindi yung divisoria board shorts )
Mukha syang slacks pero pwede gamitin pang bundok or other similar pursuits
and more imprttantly , hindi sya baggy w/c I hate

edit - ngek , di pala 511 yun
it's another brand w/c escapes me na pang mountain climbing
Sabagay, mountain climbing din yata heritage ng 511
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver

Last edited by Allegra; 01-02-2013 at 20:48..
Old 01-02-2013, 21:00   #17
Rustrtal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
511 yata has the 4 way stretch pants
the same material they use sa MMA shorts ( hindi yung divisoria board shorts )
Mukha syang slacks pero pwede gamitin pang bundok or other similar pursuits
and more imprttantly , hindi sya baggy w/c I hate

edit - ngek , di pala 511 yun
it's another brand w/c escapes me na pang mountain climbing
Sabagay, mountain climbing din yata heritage ng 511
I guess I have not been here long enough to understand....
Rustrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36   #18
DragonEye
Spits230grFMJs

Quote:
Originally Posted by horge View Post
Hi, A
Same reason I favor my cargoes, although I've never
bought 'em for myself: all I have were gifts.

I've learned to avoid wearing 5.11's (or any cargoes)
whenever I fly, or else I usually get pulled aside for a
'random' patdown.
Hey H, wish I could've received 5.11s for every occasion of the year. I've worn 5.11s through Dulles, Vegas, and SFO airports with not much more scrutiny than other passengers. Won't push my luck by wearing a shemagh though. 😉
DragonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41   #19
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Jeans, sandals, untucked t shirt, baseball type cap is my casual to semiformal.
Switch to boots, jeans, untucked button down shirt, and a Stetson for formal.

BTW, I can never remember, for a formal ceremony is it a single or double barrel shotgun?
Do they sell scatterguns in nickel plate w/ MOP stocks?
(Or is that standard good only up to barbecues?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustrtal View Post
I guess I have not been here long enough to understand....

The Band of Glockers subforum was started by Filipinos
and Filipino-Americans, although EVERYONE's welcome.
It's common for the conversations to slip between the
Philippines' language(s) and English.

Allegra was comparing the fabric used in 5.11's with the
sort of ripstop apparently(?) used for some MMA shorts,
but realized he was misremembering things (all his hard
living; the drugs, the women, the cross-stitching; has
really taken a toll on his memory)... it wasn't MMA, but
rather some mountaineering-oriented clothing line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonEye View Post
Hey H, wish I could've received 5.11s for every occasion of the year. I've worn 5.11s through Dulles, Vegas, and SFO airports with not much more scrutiny than other passengers. Won't push my luck by wearing a shemagh though.
So....
what you're really saying is that it isn't my clothing, but
rather my face that fits a certain risk-profile.

-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111

Last edited by horge; 01-03-2013 at 06:43..
horge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25   #20
Allegra

Dammit , I still feel like i'm twenty
Except ang dami kong di matandaan hehe
- the Camel Driver