Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48   #121
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A range toy that would sit in the safe or bottom of a range bag? Yes. I just hate to hear people say they would carry such a firearm and risk human life.
That is what the original poster said he wanted the gun for in the first place. A range toy.

Would I carry one for self defense? If it was all I had you're darn right I would. God didn't see fit to bless me with long claws or sharp teeth. A single shot matchlock would be better than nothing.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03   #122
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
That is what the original poster said he wanted the gun for in the first place. A range toy.

Would I carry one for self defense? If it was all I had you're darn right I would. God didn't see fit to bless me with long claws or sharp teeth. A single shot matchlock would be better than nothing.
I look at things a little differently. I want every tool in my bag to be able to get the job done w/o concern. I have never purchased a firearm that didn't have a reputation for being GTG. I would also never purchase or keep a firearm that created any doubt.

You may have not stated that you carry one but are just as guilty by saying you would. It encourages others to do so. I don't think it's responsible for those who should know better to recommend carrying a hi-point for defensive reasons.

If a person can set aside $150 they can find enough to purchase a quality firearm. A used Glock, M&P, a small revolver, etc.

----

As far as the comment about having nuts in order to defensively carry a hi-point, it's more along the lines of walnuts for brains to carry a crap shoot of a firearm. Might as well gamble that the bad guy will be kind and not mistreat you.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22   #123
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I look at things a little differently. I want every tool in my bag to be able to get the job done w/o concern. I have never purchased a firearm that didn't have a reputation for being GTG. I would also never purchase or keep a firearm that created any doubt.
That's just your own opinion, which isn't shared by others. Some of us just want to own goofy guns for the hell of it. I can't imagine why it's so hard for you to understand that guns are fun and not always for "combat".

Quote:
You may have not stated that you carry one but are just as guilty by saying you would. It encourages others to do so. I don't think it's responsible for those who should know better to recommend carrying a hi-point for defensive reasons.

If a person can set aside $150 they can find enough to purchase a quality firearm. A used Glock, M&P, a small revolver, etc.
Show me a used Glock or a good used revolver for $150. Unlike you, many people in America are not financially secured enough to shell out several hundred dollars for a gun for self-defense. They'd be hard pressed to come up with $100.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-07-2013 at 10:29..
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34   #124
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
I've debated posting this as the topic seems to bring out all the overly defensive hi-point owners who claim their hi-points are GTG but won't give any empirical data to back their claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
I owned a Hi-Point C-9 for several years. I only shot it for a couple of years, I got bored with it and moved on to other things, but I put over 2,000 rounds through it over that time period. 9mm ammo was cheap, and it was fun to shoot. I had a total of six malfunctions during that time. Four of those came out of one box of reloads. I sold it not long ago for almost what I paid for it. I saw no evidence of wear at all, not even the finish.
Last I'll say here, but I guess you missed this earlier. Sorry, I don't bother to keep a log book so I don't have times, dates, and number of rounds fired on this and such a day, but back when I was shooting my Hi-Point I did keep a running count going on this one. I probably had more malfunctions with a Colt Government Model I used back in my IPSC club days.

So, no. Based on my own experience I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Hi-Point to someone who couldn't afford, or simply didn't want to spend more.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50   #125
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:

----

As far as the comment about having nuts in order to defensively carry a hi-point, it's more along the lines of walnuts for brains to carry a crap shoot of a firearm. Might as well gamble that the bad guy will be kind and not mistreat you.
Geesh....

I've carried mine several times. My only issue has been with an additional mag I purchased...it has feeding issues when it gets down to have a mag left...but isn't always consistent.

However, I digress.....you comments underlined identify you as an elitist (or wish you were) of some sort. Carry on with your blabbering.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29   #126
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
However, I digress.....you comments underlined identify you as an elitist (or wish you were) of some sort. Carry on with your blabbering.

red
Don't be too hard on him, just chalk it up to his youthful exuberance. When I was his age, a few years of active duty Army experience under my belt, survivalist/combat mentality and all that jazz, you would not see me caught dead in anything but OD Green or Black synthetic gears (leathers weren't durable enough, had to be nylon or kydex), black combat guns that can be fired ten million rounds without breaking or cleaning, etc.

Fast forward two decades, I finally realized that life is too short and that there's really no zombies or Red Dawn invasion.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:11   #127
mjkeat

Like stated in my post earlier today, this is the reason I didn't want to post my findings. I'm not going to take the time to address each comment individually. A lot of your replies were based on the misunderstanding of what I said.

If someone can find an extra $150 laying around they can find another $150 to $200 for a used firearm of quality. Stop eating fast food for a couple months. Elitist I am not. I am suffering as much as the next guy in this economy. I do however put a lot of priority in quality firearms when it comes to defending life.

My sample of 3 is not very large. However, it is 3 times as much as most of the detractors saying they would carry a hi-point. 0-3 is not a good record. There's no arguing that fact.

Do what you want, carry a stick w/ nails in it for all it's worth. I posted here for those who may stumble across this thread and be led to think hi-point is a viable option for carry.

I'll never understand the "good enough" defeatist mentality.

Shame on me for recommending people choose quality when deciding on a firearm that could save human life.

Have at it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34   #128
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
If someone can find an extra $150 laying around they can find another $150 to $200 for a used firearm of quality. Stop eating fast food for a couple months.
So, a woman who finally had enough of being slapped around by her significant others and decided to get a court order against the guy. The guy threatens to kill her, she's gonna starve for a few months to save up $300 to buy a good gun?

What happens if the guy were to want to kill her that night? Is three months down the road for a SW M10 or a used Glock 17 going to do her any good? Or a $50 Jennings that day will serve her better?

See, you'd know this argument if you had been around long enough because we discussed the same thing back in the 1980s about whether or not it's a good idea to own Saturday Night Specials. You may think that you know a lot of things about shootings and guns, or even have new ideas about shootings and guns. Guess what? Others have already thought of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39   #129
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
So,...
Let's wait to become a victim before deciding to protect ourselves? Sounds backward.

Sounds like a liberal w/ their lame attempt to play on emotion.

Edit: Who said starve? Fast-food is a luxury. If you choose luxuries over self preservation, well... Survival of the fittest.

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-07-2013 at 12:41..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41   #130
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Let's wait to become a victim before deciding to protect ourselves? Sounds backward.

Sounds like a liberal w/ their lame attempt to play on emotion.
Oh, so you're now a psychologist that understands the mentality of abused women?

Wow, a professionally trained soldier and scholar.

With women-hating neocons like you, no wonder Obama won again.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-07-2013 at 12:42..
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44   #131
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Edit: Who said starve? Fast-food is a luxury. If you choose luxuries over self preservation, well... Survival of the fittest.
Survival of the fittest indeed, and the fittest is the one with the gun at that moment and not months down the road.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44   #132
mjkeat

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. The abused woman should go out and buy a gun before hand so that she can piss the dude off even more, or better yet, he's going to take it and use it on her.

Oh, tactical genius you!!!

With neocons like you, no wonder Obama won again.
What if, what if, what if. Imaginary BS.

I'm going to pretend you actually don't believe the things you say and are just playing devils advocate for entertainment purposes. Please say it's so.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52   #133
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
What if, what if, what if. Imaginary BS.

I'm going to pretend you actually don't believe the things you say and are just playing devils advocate for entertainment purposes. Please say it's so.
Talking about what if, you're the one that thinks it's OK for a woman who is in fear for her life to save up a few months before she can buy a decent gun. Yeah, what if the guy were to change his mind and let her go, right? What if he actually would obey the restraint order, right? What if he decided that he was a bad boy and apologizes to her and then leave her alone, right?

Tell me that you would actually believe a psycho would let a woman alone long enough for her to save up money to buy a decent handgun.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:04   #134
mjkeat

Quote:
Did I say that or are you doing what you always do. Mr. Strawman at it again.

Or did I recommend that everyone plan ahead instead of waiting to be in such a predicament (a victim)? That's a rhetorical question.

My point has been stated. You can make all the false assumptions. Good luck with your post count.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:13   #135
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Did I say that or are you doing what you always do. Mr. Strawman at it again.

Or did I recommend that everyone plan ahead instead of waiting to be in such a predicament (a victim)? That's a rhetorical question.

My point has been stated. You can make all the false assumptions. Good luck with your post count.
You can recommend all you want but real life ain't perfect.

Not every woman growing up going to think that she's going to hook up with an abuser. Not every woman growing going to get Ninja training.

Life doesn't pan out the way people like them to pan out. Of course, if you've lived long enough you would see how unpredictable life is. It's easy to be high and mighty when you're barely out of your teens.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:19   #136
mjkeat

Quote:
You can recommend all you want but real life ain't perfect.

Not every woman growing up going to think that she's going to hook up with an abuser. Not every woman growing going to get Ninja training.
Thank you for proving my point.

Knowing how unpradictable life is tell me why anyone should wait until they've been victimized before taking the personable responsability to protect themself.

You admit that you never know when you may be victimized but recommend against planning ahead. This sort of thinking saddens me. It's also the type of thinking that creates soft targets.

Edit: If you're going to respond make a better effort to be cognoscente

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-07-2013 at 13:20..
Old 01-07-2013, 13:32   #137
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

Knowing how unpradictable life is tell me why anyone should wait until they've been victimized before taking the personable responsability to protect themself.
Because that's how it is with most people. Wishing it any other way isn't going to change how real life works.

Quote:
You admit that you never know when you may be victimized but recommend against planning ahead. This sort of thinking saddens me. It's also the type of thinking that creates soft targets.
I don't recommend against planning ahead. I simply show you how life works out and how cheap guns can come in handy for certain people.

Quote:
I try to relay to you how real life works, but your youthful arrogance keeps getting in the way.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:57   #138
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Don't be too hard on him, just chalk it up to his youthful exuberance. When I was his age, a few years of active duty Army experience under my belt, survivalist/combat mentality and all that jazz, you would not see me caught dead in anything but OD Green or Black synthetic gears (leathers weren't durable enough, had to be nylon or kydex), black combat guns that can be fired ten million rounds without breaking or cleaning, etc.

Fast forward two decades, I finally realized that life is too short and that there's really no zombies or Red Dawn invasion.
Now......That explains a lot!

Quote:
Like stated in my post earlier today, this is the reason I didn't want to post my findings. I'm not going to take the time to address each comment individually. A lot of your replies were based on the misunderstanding of what I said.

If someone can find an extra $150 laying around they can find another $150 to $200 for a used firearm of quality. Stop eating fast food for a couple months. Elitist I am not. I am suffering as much as the next guy in this economy. I do however put a lot of priority in quality firearms when it comes to defending life.

My sample of 3 is not very large. However, it is 3 times as much as most of the detractors saying they would carry a hi-point. 0-3 is not a good record. There's no arguing that fact.

Do what you want, carry a stick w/ nails in it for all it's worth. I posted here for those who may stumble across this thread and be led to think hi-point is a viable option for carry.

I'll never understand the "good enough" defeatist mentality.

Shame on me for recommending people choose quality when deciding on a firearm that could save human life.

Have at it.
Did your assumption of,"If someone can find an extra $150 laying around they can find another $150 to $200 for a used firearm of quality.", is absolute poopycock! For many, that could take a year or so depending on their budget. So, in your world, it is better for them to wait and pass on a HiPoint, in order for them to purchase a 'quality' firearm. So in summary, they shall be unarmed for a year or so; only to be defenseless...because you think a HiPoint wouldn't be a quality tool?

Keep typing!

Quote:

I think he was advocating for that it is better to have a HiPoint, than to be defenseless while saving for that 'quality' firearm.

mjkeat...you are entertaining, if anything!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:32   #139
mjkeat

I knew my hands on factual report on hi-points wouldn't go over well. The lash back was expected.

What I didn't expect was that people would rather an individual arm themself w/ junk then plan ahead.

Did everyone here wait to be victimized before purchasing a defensive firearm and checking that it functioned properly w/ their choice of defensive ammunition? I hope not.

If anyone thinks that the average US citizen doesn't have disposable/wasted income they are living under a rock. Think of how much money you waste eating fast-food or at restaurants instead of PB&J at home. What kind of vehicle do you drive. I bet it's more than you need. Does it have a radio, cd player, electric windows? What kind of gas mileage does it get? Do you ever throw a candy-bar in the cart while waiting in line at the grocery store? Do you make your own clothing? Due you have cable tv, internet, a tv, a computer? All extras.

My point is there are a lot of areas we can cut back. If a reliable defensive weapon is important it is easily attainable for the majority of use.
Old 01-07-2013, 14:38   #140
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I knew my hands on factual report on hi-points wouldn't go over well. The lash back was expected.

What I didn't expect was that people would rather an individual arm themself w/ junk then plan ahead.

Did everyone here wait to be victimized before purchasing a defensive firearm and checking that it functioned properly w/ their choice of defensive ammunition? I hope not.

If anyone thinks that the average US citizen doesn't have disposable/wasted income they are living under a rock. Think of how much money you waste eating fast-food or at restaurants instead of PB&J at home. What kind of vehicle do you drive. I bet it's more than you need. Does it have a radio, cd player, electric windows? What kind of gas mileage does it get? Do you ever throw a candy-bar in the cart while waiting in line at the grocery store? Do you make your own clothing? Due you have cable tv, internet, a tv, a computer? All extras.

My point is there are a lot of areas we can cut back. If a reliable defensive weapon is important it is easily attainable for the majority of use.
So according to you, there are no poor people in America? Everybody is rich and can just conk out $300 or more for a handgun at any time, huh?

Your lack of life experience betrays you.