Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 23:04   #26
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
100% American made.

How can you sorry turncoat SOB's be against an AMERICAN company that stands behind their product for lifetime warranty no questions asked?

Don't like, don't buy.
Just be glad it's not American union made. Then it would be a low quality jam-o-matic with a HK price tag!

Sorry but I won't stand behind junk much less shoot it.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:45   #27
meathead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
HiPoint makes a POS everything. I had to suffer through an hour private instruction w/ a lady (bail-bondsman) who wanted to become more comfortable w/ her handgun. We spend the majority of her hour trying to get the over-sized, overweight, ugly, non functioning POS to work.

It's common knowledge.

We should be more hateful about our disdain for this POS because it is made in America. It would be nice if this company caught the pride bug and decided to make a quality firearm.
My 995 has been flawless. I'd say it's a quality firearm.
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23   #28
Lowjiber

Hey, if you want one and your kids aren't gonna miss a meal because of the purchase, why not? Go for it.

I'm reminded of when I saw my first Glock (early 80's). I said then, "Who designed that thing? Woody Woodpecker?"

If you get the HP, you'll have a gun that looks like Woody Woodpecker actually built it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Lowjiber; 12-28-2012 at 07:23.. Reason: spell
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32   #29
dukeblue91

I never used one and think that they are very ugly but do think they fill a purpose all the same.
I heard that they do work really well and have a great warranty and CS.
Not everyone out there can afford a Glock or something like it but still has the right to protect themselves with a firearm.
I see no problem with owning one, so go for it and get one and let us know what you really think after you had a chance to shoot it.
dukeblue91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04   #30
cluznar

Hi Points are not bad for a cheap gun. If you clean and oil them, polish the feed ramp, and break it in properly they are not bad shooters. I know someone who has a 9mm HP and it shoots very well with no problems. He said it took about 300 rounds to break it in. They have their place, make good truck guns, home defense, range, plinking.

Ugly though and not made for carry.
cluznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:12   #31
Hackett

Send a message via AIM to Hackett
Just get one. They shoot fairly decent. They are top heavy, and kind of odd in construction, and feel like ABS plastic, but they work, and are worth the price, which you can't beat. If just a back-up for the house, or a range toy, I'd say go for it. I've shot 3 over the years, and could hit a 13x13 target from 50yds after 2-3 shots, so they have a decent accuracy, but at 7yds I am far more proficient with a 1911 or glock than with the hi-point, but far less practiced with the hi-point too.
Beretta Club Member #1, Tactical Shotgun Club #1884,
1911 Owners Group #1884 (pending), Sig Club #1884, Florida Glocker #1884, 21 Club #1884, GTDS Life Member
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:38   #32
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

OP, I was in the same situation as you. The Hi-Point pistol is such a polarizing firearm. Hate it or love it. No middle ground found on the internet.

I'd been to the gun store a few times. The Hi-Point was occasionally in stock. I'd held it a few times, and always thought it was goofy. For some reason the Hi-Point pistol just stuck in my mind. I bought a JHP45 for $120.

General Firearms Forum

So far the pistol has functioned flawlessly through 150 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ's and 800 rounds of 230gr LRN reloads. The Hi-Point JHP45 is as accurate as any other gun I own. If I apply proper shooting fundamentals, it shoots spot on.

The trigger is unique. I would not call it good or bad, just different from anything I've previously shot. While the trigger feels odd under dry fire, during live fire it's not noticeable. The trigger feels heavy & a bit mushy, but there is a very predictable break & felt reset point.

There are some areas of concern. The Zymak slide will eventually fail. It's Zymak, not steel so this is to be expected. I don't know when the slide will crack, but I know it will crack eventually.

The Zymak slide's firing pin channel makes contact with the steel magazine. I've noticed that the contact point causes the channel to wear and "pinch".

General Firearms Forum

At some point, the pinch will become enough interfere with the firing pin causing failure to fire. I'm not sure exactly when this will happen, but I expect it to happen.

I also own a Hi-Point carbine, the 4595TS. The same will eventually occur with it. The Zymak bolt/slide will eventually crack and/or the firing pin channel will fail.

Hi-Point firearms come with an unlimited lifetime warranty. Whether you are the first owner or the 10th, it's covered. Buy a used Hi-Point and it fails, call Hi-Point and they'll fix it. The downside is that the firearm owner must cover shipping charges.

Are either of my Hi-Points my first choice for defense? No. Would I feel uncomfortable using either for defense? No. They are inexpensive and fun to shoot. It's a $120 pistol that comes with an unlimited, no-questions-asked, warranty. I don't expect it to be any more than it is.

Last edited by JaPes; 12-28-2012 at 14:42..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:28   #33
Z71bill

If a new list comes out from congress of all evil guns that must be banned -

A few Hi Point firearms will be on it.

IMHO - reason enough to buy one.

I will not be selling my 4095 carbine anytime soon.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:44   #34
raxar
Golliwog

buy one just to tick off the snobs

Doing nothing is a choice....
raxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:48   #35
bac1023

Ever visit the Hi Point forum?

Some of those guys swear by them.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:52   #36
bunk22

I have a Hi-Point 4595TS carbine and it shoots awesome, has yet to choke on anything. So I too was thinking about buying one of their handguns, just to have something to shoot but you have to get past the ugly!!! It's almost too ugly to shoot!

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 20:54   #37
rednoved
NRA Member

I was shooting a Hi Point 45 at the range today. It worked, and was accurate. I don't think I would pay retail for one though.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 22:23   #38
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
I have a Hi-Point 4595TS carbine and it shoots awesome, has yet to choke on anything. So I too was thinking about buying one of their handguns, just to have something to shoot but you have to get past the ugly!!! It's almost too ugly to shoot!
Do it! Get a JHP45 for magazine compatibility.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 22:41   #39
I'M Glockamolie

I think it'd make a nice car gun, but then again, this is my car:

General Firearms Forum
Old 12-29-2012, 00:03   #40
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Ever visit the Hi Point forum?

Some of those guys swear by them.
Can't say I have, I try to keep my forums to a minimum. When I was more into cars it got damned confusing trying to remember which people were on which site.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39   #41
mjkeat

I see guys saying they are flawless then state that eventually due to a design flaw it will fail them. They're not talking about one but both of their hi-points. The person also stated they don't know when it'll happen, just that it will.

We are talking about firearms here not garden hoses. But wait it has a lifetime warranty. Who's lifetime? Yours after the garbage gun fails when needed most? Do they(hi-point) send the "repaired(?)" firearm to your wife and kids after the homicide detectives get it back from forensics?

Firearms serve one purpose. The one they were designed for, preservation of life. I'd rather not have a functionally ticking time bomb pulling protective duty.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07   #42
ZombieJoe

I have the C9 and 995. I have not had one single problem with either. The 995 is one of my favorite guns that I have owned. Very accurate, and functions 100%.

You probably already know this, but Hi-Point offers a life time no questions asked warranty, even if you buys used, so don't be nervous going down that road.

Good Luck! And if you do get it don't forget the range report
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17   #43
superdoc

they have been on the Buds "Most Popular Firearm" list for the last few years. Amazed me. Think of how many they must sell.
superdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40   #44
meathead19

One fine looking piece of machinery that is a blast to shoot at the range.

I have extra mags, so that helps.

Last edited by meathead19; 01-03-2013 at 19:56..
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53   #45
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Firearms serve one purpose. The one they were designed for, preservation of life. I'd rather not have a functionally ticking time bomb pulling protective duty.
Really? I didn't know that.

And all these years I've just been using mine for fun.

Who knew?
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 12-29-2012 at 08:55..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43   #46
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Really? I didn't know that.

And all these years I've just been using mine for fun.

Who knew?
Read post 32. Even a Hi-Point proponent that is recommending the guy purchase one of these things admits it is a ticking time bomb. He even showed evidence of the facts he stated. If that's your idea of a carry gun then by all means have at it.

I love it when people get so attached and defensive over a tool.

I would like to hear the what the pro Hi-Point guys use to qualify thier Hi-Points as quality/gtg. Example where do you use these handguns most often and in what capacity (i.e. classes, static range, how often, how many rounds over what time frame).
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59   #47
bunk22

I have no problem using my Hi-Point for hd, which is its duty and it's ready to go. All guns can and will fail at some point. Nothing like regular mnx on guns, especially cheaper ones

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07   #48
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'M Glockamolie View Post
I think it'd make a nice car gun, but then again, this is my car:

General Firearms Forum
i actually see one of these from time to time. cuy loves it (he's older) says parts are hard to come by, but available. has over 200k on it.

i thought about a hi point because they are dirt cheap. sort of a "why not" but i will only buy a used one. figure it's going to go for, what, 75 bucks?
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19   #49
raxar
Golliwog

Quote:
We are talking about firearms here not garden hoses.
actually they do smell remarkably like a garden hose...

OTOH get over it, the guy's looking for a toy, not the ultimate self defense piece. You ever eat at McDonalds? Same concept

Doing nothing is a choice....
raxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56   #50
glock2740
Gun lover.

I have a couple of buddies who have some (2 9mm's and a .40). While I have no desire to own one, We have shot several hundred trouble free rounds with no issues whatsoever. And they are fairly accurate. They are ugly as hell and feel like crap with horrific triggers, but they are cheap as it can get.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote