Old 01-22-2013, 17:14   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

7.62x39 AR

I am thinking about this project again.

What mags work?
What was the pre-Sandy mag prices?

The bolt is the same for 5.45x39 as 7.62x39, correct?

Last edited by RWBlue; 01-22-2013 at 17:15..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:09   #2
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

ASC makes decent magazines. Look up "7.62x39 mag tuning" on youtube to make them reliable.

7.62x39 and 5.45x39 bolts are different.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16   #3
aptrpl6
Detached Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I am thinking about this project again.

What mags work?
What was the pre-Sandy mag prices?

The bolt is the same for 5.45x39 as 7.62x39, correct?
ASC mags are pretty much the only decent ones made for this caliber. I just bought a 30 rounder and a 10 rounder from 44mag.com and the total was something like $42-$45 with shipping, but that was about 3 weeks ago. I do have one Pro-Mag, but I had to do some serious work to make it run. Take a look at the MGI Enhanced Reliability Bolt. It's horribly expensive, but mine doesn't skip a beat.

Carolina Glockers 13666
aptrpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55   #4
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptrpl6 View Post
ASC mags are pretty much the only decent ones made for this caliber. I just bought a 30 rounder and a 10 rounder from 44mag.com and the total was something like $42-$45 with shipping, but that was about 3 weeks ago. I do have one Pro-Mag, but I had to do some serious work to make it run. Take a look at the MGI Enhanced Reliability Bolt. It's horribly expensive, but mine doesn't skip a beat.
Or you can just get an Enhanced Firing Pin from Model 1 Sales for $20 to use with a standard 7.62x39 bolt.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
ASC makes decent magazines. Look up "7.62x39 mag tuning" on youtube to make them reliable.

7.62x39 and 5.45x39 bolts are different.
Is ACS=C-Pro?
I found C-Pro 7.62x39 mags.

What price were they pre-sandy?

Tell me more about the differences between 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 bolts. I am trying to understand why they would be different.

AND I assuming there is no ban, I will probably make this build in summer. Any recommendations as far as other parts or part suppliers?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53   #6
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Is ACS=C-Pro?
I found C-Pro 7.62x39 mags.
ASC makes their own magazines on the old C-Products "blueprint." (Machinery, dimensions, proccess. etc.) C-Products today may be old stock (shiny finish) or C-Products Defense new production from LCJWholesale. (matte finish) I have no experience with those magazines.
What price were they pre-sandy?
I believe they were $15.99 when I got mine from ASC direct 2 years ago.

Tell me more about the differences between 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 bolts. I am trying to understand why they would be different.
The 7.62x39 case and rim are a larger diameter than the 5.45x39 case and rim. The only difference would be the diameter of the bolt face and extractor.
Black Rifle Forum
AND I assuming there is no ban, I will probably make this build in summer. Any recommendations as far as other parts or part suppliers?
I can only go by what I actually installed which was a SI Defense bolt (haven't heard from them much lately), Delton Barrel (hasn't failed me so far, but I'm sure there are better), and a Model 1 Sales enhanced firing pin. A few guys on TOS have said their YHM builds are working as they should on D.I. Mine is a suppressed piston build, so I don't know how theirs are holding up.

Just a side note: When I was up to date with this, I did read of rumors that there was only 1 supplier of 7.62x39 bolt extractors, and they were going to discontinue making them. I don't know how true that was, but AR Performance made a 7.62x39 bolt that used a 5.56 extractor and now Harrison has discontinued them and most of the Variant (non 5.56) line. I haven't really seen much from other manufacturers lately... Good luck and make sure to post pics.
Old 01-23-2013, 15:12   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
The 7.62x39 case and rim are a larger diameter than the 5.45x39 case and rim. The only difference would be the diameter of the bolt face and extractor.
For some reason I always thought that the 5.45 was just a necked down 7.62. Hmm, that may alter my plans.
Old 01-23-2013, 15:31   #8
nipperwolf

Quote:
Any recommendations as far as other parts or part suppliers?
No experience with them, but RRA makes one that takes AK mags;

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=558

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:24   #9
jbremount

I have an upper I just built from Sota arms. (http://sotaarms.com/component/jshopp.../2/7?Itemid=0) I bought the upper receiver, barrel, gas block, gas tube, carbine free float tube and the 7.62x39 bolt from Sota Arms.

I then bought an ASC 30 round magazine. (http://www.44mag.com/product/7_62_39...ar_15_magazine). The ASC 30 round 7.62x39 magazine is bent to allow for feeding due to the taper of the cartridge. This magazine has never jammed or caused a mis-feed on me either.

I want the power of the 7.62x39 cartridge for Hog hunting and the ability to use cheap ammo. I used the orginal AR firing pin with the Sota Arms 7.62x39 bolt and so far the gun has never failed to fire the hard primers on the Russian Ammo.

You can't beat the price of Sotarams's 7.62x39 Mag-Pros barrels! Check the price out for yourself and you'll probably get your CC ready! IMO, this barrel makes a good lightweight hunting gun.

Sota arms rifles and parts are not too well know in some parts, almost a well kept secret. I did a little online research,then checked out their facebook page and was sold. IMO, buy your parts and put the upper together yourself, (it's "cheaper")for much "faster shipping".

And they have barrels in stock for sale!

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by jbremount; 01-24-2013 at 06:54..
jbremount is offline   Reply With Quote