GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 23:29   #1
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Anxiety drugs?

I've made and am continuing to make lifestyle changes to lessen my stress and anxiety. I've been exercising and losing weight. I'm eating right. I have a great doctor who has me well regulated.

I quit a very stressfull job months ago. I've been taking Prozac (20mg) for years, but quit taking it months ago thinking I had eliminated the stress. I am still anxious though and have concluded that I should go back to taking something.

Has anyone had great success with an anti-anxiety medication? Prozac was helpful, but I'd love something that worked as well as Xanax that could be taken all the time.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai

Last edited by SunsetMan; 12-27-2012 at 00:13..
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 23:35   #2
mr00jimbo
Senior Member
 
mr00jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,247
I was suffering from insomnia that was brought upon by extreme abdominal pain that ended up being inconclusive. I would wake up crying in pain at 3 AM. It got the point where I was terrified of going to bed. So I told my Dr and he prescribed me a very, very low dose of Mirtazipine, which is not an SSRI. Google it, it's quite a remarkable drug. I take 7.5 mpg, and most people take 30 to 45. It knocks me out at night, and I seem to have a lot less anxiety after taking it, despite it not being prescribed for anxiety.

Ask your doctor about it. I have 0 side effects from it, which is nice. I would not stop or start anything without your Dr's knowledge and approval. Lots of dependence issues with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication. Also, some people feel it is working and so they stop taking it and things get worse, this is the same thing that happens with anti-biotics, people feel they are better, stop taking it and get a worse strain of what they had.

Please, please talk to your doctor about it. I wish you the best of luck. Also, try and eliminate stress the best ways you can, eat healthy, exercise, lots of water and do things that make you happy.
__________________
"Learning to shoot with a Glock is like learning to drive with a car with a smashed windshield and two flat tires."
-Yo
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:17   #3
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Thanks jimbo! Sleep has been an issue for me also.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai

Last edited by SunsetMan; 12-27-2012 at 00:23..
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:29   #4
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMan View Post
I've made and am continuing to make lifestyle changes to lessen my stress and anxiety. I've been exercising and losing weight. I'm eating right. I have a great doctor who has me well regulated.

I quit a very stressfull job months ago. I've been taking Prozac (20mg) for years, but quit taking it months ago thinking I had eliminated the stress. I am still anxious though and have concluded that I should go back to taking something.

Has anyone had great success with an anti-anxiety medication? Prozac was helpful, but I'd love something that worked as well as Xanax that could be taken all the time.
The best treatment for Anxiety is anything but an FDA approved drug.

Find something that opens your eyes to beauty and calms you. Sitting in the outdoors on a pretty summer night, going fishing or just smoking a bowl. All of these are a great alternative to the negative side affects that man made drugs are going to force into your life.

And as always, live a healthy lifestyle as mr00jimbo suggested.

Last edited by BicycleDay43; 12-27-2012 at 00:30..
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:36   #5
Chainlink
Senior Member
 
Chainlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 609
For some smoking a "bowl" increases paranoia....which doesn't help with anxiety....just saying

I do however agree a sunset or rise can help. I would suggest transcendental meditation.... Make your jokes only after trying it.

Good luck, I know how hard getting decent rest is..... And how benificial a good nights rest can be.
Chainlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:37   #6
RustyL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 552
Are you on any kind of Testosterone replacement medicine? Reason I ask, I was using Endrogel...spelling...1.62, that crap made me have anxiety problems. I got off it pronto, feel good, I guess I will just grow old gracefully
RustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:41   #7
Snaps
Hail 2 The King
 
Snaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SWPA sticks
Posts: 3,222
I'm currently on Paxil (20mg) for PTSD. Don't be afraid to keep talking to a dr, this is the 4th one they tried and the first that didn't give me side effects
__________________
Brad
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:42   #8
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainlink View Post
For some smoking a "bowl" increases paranoia....which doesn't help with anxiety....just saying
Absolutely, but for some like myself, it helps a lot with anxiety left over from my last job.

I meant it only as a suggestion.
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:42   #9
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp
 
Magnus2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,272
Xanax is a lot more mild than Prozac.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
LW would have laughed that round off her chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:49   #10
podwich
Senior Member
 
podwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: MI
Posts: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
Xanax is a lot more mild than Prozac.
That's rather debatable.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:53   #11
Naelbis
Senior Member
 
Naelbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 2,787
Klonopin seems to work for those I know with anxiety issues. Problem is that it can be habit forming and the withdrawals suck. Better than Canada though with less side effects than Prozac

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never underestimate the Human capacity for stupidity".
Naelbis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:57   #12
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleDay43 View Post
The best treatment for Anxiety is anything but an FDA approved drug.

Find something that opens your eyes to beauty and calms you. Sitting in the outdoors on a pretty summer night, going fishing or just smoking a bowl. All of these are a great alternative to the negative side affects that man made drugs are going to force into your life.

And as always, live a healthy lifestyle as mr00jimbo suggested.

I think different things work for different people. Marijuana has never worked for me, and I've experienced it again recently. Prozac has worked for me and made me more bullet-proof to what life has thrown my way.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai

Last edited by SunsetMan; 12-27-2012 at 01:14..
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12   #13
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyL View Post
Are you on any kind of Testosterone replacement medicine? Reason I ask, I was using Endrogel...spelling...1.62, that crap made me have anxiety problems. I got off it pronto, feel good, I guess I will just grow old gracefully
As a matter of fact I've been on Androjel for 3 months now. I would say it is making me more impatient, but I'd like to give it a bit longer. It is giving me more motivation and energy, definately more libido.

I've been off Prozac before. Now I'm remembering why I went back on it. I think I've always been a worry-wart by nature.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai

Last edited by SunsetMan; 12-27-2012 at 01:14..
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14   #14
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMan View Post
I think different things work for different people. Marijuana has never worked for me, and I've experienced it again recently. Prozac has worked for me and made me more bulletproof to what life has thrown my way.
I would encourage you to do whatever works best for you. The things I mentioned are what work for myself. Hope all works out for you.
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23   #15
Happypuppy
Senior Member
 
Happypuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 735
What works for me is exercise. I think it is just not natural to work inside in an office or such. In myself that used to build up anxiety without a release. If anxiety is a fight or flight response... Then try doing something close to it. Run, swim , walk , pump iron whatever works for you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:34   #16
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I'm currently on Paxil (20mg) for PTSD. Don't be afraid to keep talking to a dr, this is the 4th one they tried and the first that didn't give me side effects
Sorry about your PTSD Snaps. Now that I have some time off I'd like to get to the right treatment.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40   #17
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
Klonopin seems to work for those I know with anxiety issues. Problem is that it can be habit forming and the withdrawals suck. Better than Canada though with less side effects than Prozac

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Klonopin looks to be in the same catagory as Xanax. Xanax kicks ass for me, but can't be taken all the time (habit forming, ends up requiring ever increasing dosages to be effective).
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39   #18
GLWyandotte
Carbon User
 
GLWyandotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 3,879
Alprazolam #1
__________________
Dayenu!

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43   #19
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor
 
FullClip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On The Lake in The Maine Woods
Posts: 6,150


Aldaris is working great for me.....
__________________
Quando omni flunkus moritati
FullClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51   #20
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMan View Post
Klonopin looks to be in the same catagory as Xanax. Xanax kicks ass for me, but can't be taken all the time (habit forming, ends up requiring ever increasing dosages to be effective).
Not to mention seizures if you stop cold-turkey.

Have you considered trying to figure out if the stress is coming from some external source in your life or if you're just ****ed in the head before proceeding with further treatment?
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 14:32   #21
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
Aldaris is working great for me.....
In moderation, of course.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 14:39   #22
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
Alprazolam #1
Alprazolam = Xanax, roughly = Klonopin I believe.

Awesome stuff, but shouldn't be taken all the time. My roommate takes Xanax for sleep and in case of panic attacks about 4 times a month.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 14:48   #23
clemtiger00
Senior Member
 
clemtiger00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 340
I have been on Lexapro for 4 months or so, and it has been a great help. I don't know where my anxiety came from, just appeared out of the blue one day. I am only on 10mg lexapro and it has made what little anxiety I get very manageable. I think I could up my dosage and get rid of all anxiety, but I am fine where I am. I have some xanax if I need it, but haven't taken it in months. Lexapro has some side effects when you start it for about a month, and then it really starts kicking in and just working.
clemtiger00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 14:56   #24
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Not to mention seizures if you stop cold-turkey.

Have you considered trying to figure out if the stress is coming from some external source in your life or if you're just ****ed in the head before proceeding with further treatment?
I'll work with my doctor to try to figure things out.

I think I'm ****ed in the head. I don't really have anything extraordinary stressing me. This is my second time off Prozac and I definately notice a difference in anxiousness, irritability and impatience. My Mom has been on Zoloft for decades too so I think it is in my genes. I hate having to take something, but I think I need to.
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 14:59   #25
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert
 
SunsetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Between two ferns
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemtiger00 View Post
I have been on Lexapro for 4 months or so, and it has been a great help. I don't know where my anxiety came from, just appeared out of the blue one day. I am only on 10mg lexapro and it has made what little anxiety I get very manageable. I think I could up my dosage and get rid of all anxiety, but I am fine where I am. I have some xanax if I need it, but haven't taken it in months. Lexapro has some side effects when you start it for about a month, and then it really starts kicking in and just working.
Thanks clem. I'm glad things are working out for you. You don't work for a large aircraft company, do you?
__________________
Never miss an opportunity to meet someone, go to the bathroom, or take a sedative. - gwalchmai
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,273
320 Members
953 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42