Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2013, 23:07   #1
Linux3

Anti-virus products are rubbish

Anti-virus products do not really exist. Trust me, read the link.
Zero day exploits will still get ya.
Interesting read:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...us_is_rubbish/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 23:20   #2
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
No doubt. I spent a large portion of my Christmas vacation back home cleaning up my Mother's and Aunt's PCs. Both of them run AV software, yet both of them had a virus.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11   #3
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Interesting read:
I don't trust anyone that can't even proofread their own signature.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14   #4
sbhaven

More than a few people forget that AV and other security software will only catch that which they've been programed to catch. Which is why one usually needs to use several security products when using Windows based PC's.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15   #5
GlockFanWA

I hope they didn't spend too much money on the study as it only stated what has been well known in the AV industry for ages:

1. Signature based scanners only catch what they know about already
2. New viruses MIGHT be caught using heuristic methods. Higher chance of catching usually means more false positives
3. Virus/malware security is a multilayer defense

The virus infections I have seen rip through a corporation usually aren't new ones but ones that have been ut there for quite a while. They spread due to a lack of AV software being installed or out of date signatures.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59   #6
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

It's always been a "user training issue" if you ask me...

Put the best AV/AM software on there... but you can't educate the mouse... the results are predictable!

That's my view.

Patrick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:30   #7
BulldawgGlock

Buy a Mac. Install AdBlock Plus. Done deal.
Old 01-02-2013, 15:37   #8
Bow Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I don't trust anyone that can't even proofread their own signature.
Old 01-02-2013, 15:45   #9
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Interesting read:
Posted from your parent's basement via Ubuntu, no doubt.

Antivirus products work. But stupidity can override anything.

Last edited by John Rambo; 01-02-2013 at 15:46..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 16:14   #10
Chesafreak

The one thing that works with/without/regardless of antivirus products, is using Windows as a non admin user. I got a fake antivirus on my work computer this morning. Because I was logged in as a regular non admin user, all I had to do was login as an administrative user, copy the files I wanted to keep, delete and recreate my user profile, and finally restore the files I had copied. It took me ten minutes to do this. Microsoft has stated that running Windows as a non administrative user will prevent around 80% of malware.

My wife's laptop is setup this way. If she is trying to make any system changes or install software, she gets prompted for the admin user password. She knows that she should click cancel if she wasn't trying to change anything and gets prompted for the password. Before I setup her user account this way, I was constantly having to remove viruses for her. Since then, no problems.

I ran Windows 7 on my ex wife's laptop for 18 months without any antivirus software installed. It got infected with one fake antivirus program during that time period. I had it fixed in ten minutes. If you are using Windows as the default administrative user, changing to a non admin user is the best thing you can do to prevent infections.
Chesafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28   #11
sappy13

AV works for a lot of things, but there will always be stuff that slips past. I have Eset Nod32 on all of my managed clients and from my management console I can see that it stops a lot of stuff. You still have to have a competent user with some sense though.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33   #12
Stlbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post

Put the best AV/AM software on there... but you can't educate the mouse... the results are predictable!

That's my view.

Patrick
Amen!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40   #13
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
The one thing that works with/without/regardless of antivirus products, is using Windows as a non admin user. I got a fake antivirus on my work computer this morning. Because I was logged in as a regular non admin user, all I had to do was login as an administrative user, copy the files I wanted to keep, delete and recreate my user profile, and finally restore the files I had copied. It took me ten minutes to do this. Microsoft has stated that running Windows as a non administrative user will prevent around 80% of malware.

My wife's laptop is setup this way. If she is trying to make any system changes or install software, she gets prompted for the admin user password. She knows that she should click cancel if she wasn't trying to change anything and gets prompted for the password. Before I setup her user account this way, I was constantly having to remove viruses for her. Since then, no problems.

I ran Windows 7 on my ex wife's laptop for 18 months without any antivirus software installed. It got infected with one fake antivirus program during that time period. I had it fixed in ten minutes. If you are using Windows as the default administrative user, changing to a non admin user is the best thing you can do to prevent infections.
UAC (and in its XP iteration, DEP) partially accomplishes this. As long as you don't get annoyed with it and disable it like lots of people do.

A well-enough written virus can circumvent anything except unplugging the network cable, though.

Last edited by John Rambo; 01-03-2013 at 12:40..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50   #14
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post

Yep. No amount of UAC or locking down Windows, Mac, Linux will prevent the user from clicking on something. I've stood there and told people not to click something yet they did so anyhow and reinfected their system.

Most times when I'm ask to clean some ones infected PC its because they've clicked/opened, usually repeatedly, email spam and web popup pages.

Last edited by sbhaven; 01-03-2013 at 12:52..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:11   #15
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Posted from your parent's basement via Ubuntu, no doubt.

Antivirus products work. But stupidity can override anything.
Nope, I have a M.S. in computer science and have not lived at home for over 40 years.
At home I do use Ubuntu so you have that part right.
However, your best rebuttal is that I live in my parents' basement? Wow, you dazzle me with your logic and rapier like wit.

Old 01-03-2013, 16:15   #16
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
The one thing that works with/without/regardless of antivirus products, is using Windows as a non admin user. Microsoft has stated that running Windows as a non administrative user will prevent around 80% of malware.
That is very sound advice but that 80% number kind of freaks me out. I would think the number would be higher.

Old 01-03-2013, 16:20   #17
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
UAC (and in its XP iteration, DEP) partially accomplishes this. As long as you don't get annoyed with it and disable it like lots of people do.

A well-enough written virus can circumvent anything except unplugging the network cable, though.
My IT department removed user admin rights and disabled UAC. We went from having malware infections mulitple times a day, to one every few weeks. And those that do manage to get infected now no longer require us to reimage the computer to fix.

Removing user admin rights (even on personal computers) is part of a layered approach that complements your antivirus software.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:48   #18
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldawgGlock View Post
You forgot don't connect to the internet. Works for Windows too
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40   #19
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldawgGlock View Post
Mac's are just as vulnerable to malware as Windows. As Mac user base grows, hackers will increase their efforts to hack it.

Once you add in Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash, etc on your Mac or Linux computer, you have effectively opened the door for hackers.

Quote:
"All the stuff the bad guys have learned for doing attacks in the PC world is now starting to transition to the Mac world," McAfee Labs director of threat intelligence Dave Marcus told AFP.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...08e3077915.4a1