SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2012, 21:09   #1
HollowHead
Firm member

Linksys Wireless Router Wipe Clean?

Gave my old Linksys WRT54G V8 wireless router to my sister who's just bought an ipad. She's had wired DSL for years and when I hooked it up to her AT&T wired modem it will not work. I'll run the Linksys setup disc and it assumes I'm still using my old sign-in username and password so, is there anyway to wipe it clean and start over? Reset does not do it and her ISP (AT&T) requires a login for any new modems/routers. Thanks. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 00:03   #2
__jb

Call up AT&T Support and ask for help...

Linksys' WRT54G is probably the most popular router ever sold...
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
__jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33   #3
neilsmth

Plug it in-find and press the reset button-hold it in for 30 seconds and while still holding it in unplug for 30 seconds then plug it back in for 30 more seconds. This is called a hard reset or 30/30/30 and should clear everything. Yes 90 full seconds. Always do this before throwing away a 54G too, for security reasons.

I no longer have any weapons. ;(
neilsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52   #4
Lotiki
All that is man

Log into the router itself and reset to factory defaults. You can get to the router by entering "192.168.1.1" into the address bar while connected to the router. DEfault passwords are here; http://compnetworking.about.com/od/r...ys_passwds.htm
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22   #5
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Gave my old Linksys WRT54G V8 wireless router to my sister who's just bought an ipad. She's had wired DSL for years and when I hooked it up to her AT&T wired modem it will not work. I'll run the Linksys setup disc and it assumes I'm still using my old sign-in username and password so, is there anyway to wipe it clean and start over? Reset does not do it and her ISP (AT&T) requires a login for any new modems/routers. Thanks. HH
You do not need to use the Lynksys setup disk. First, do a Hard Reset/30-30-30 reset on the Linkys router. This should wipe all settings and set the router to factory defaults. Next you will need to know if the DSL PPPoE login is done by the DSL Modem or done on the router. Once you know how the login is done see the following link and follow the steps for "Setting up your Linksys router using the web-based setup page".

Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection

Last edited by sbhaven; 12-30-2012 at 09:23..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03   #6
HollowHead
Firm member

The problem I seem to be having is that it will not let me enter my sister's ISP (AT&T) username and password, so I can only assume it still has my CenturyLink sign-in info in it. I'll try the "30-30-30" and let you know. Thanks. HH

Old 12-30-2012, 10:45   #7
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiki View Post
Log into the router itself and reset to factory defaults. You can get to the router by entering "192.168.1.1" into the address bar while connected to the router. DEfault passwords are here; http://compnetworking.about.com/od/r...ys_passwds.htm
How do I get to the address bar? Can I open Explorer without an internet signal? Thanks, HH

Old 12-30-2012, 11:51   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
How do I get to the address bar? Can I open Explorer without an internet signal? Thanks, HH
You can log into the router, as long as it is broadcasting the ESSID. Usually the wifi "bars" on the OS, will be "grey" indicating a limited connection. This should allow you to log into the Router, but you won't get on anything outside (ie.. the Internet).

However, it'd be best to cable the machine to the router temporarily.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 12-30-2012 at 11:51..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 13:06   #9
sbhaven

Quote:
The Address Bar is what's circled in red in this image...
Tech Talk

Connect your computer to the router via an ethernet wire. On the back of the WRT54G there are 4 networking ports numbered 1-4, connect the wire from the PC to one of those four ports. The ethernet wire from the DSL modem goes to the router port labeled WAN or Internet. Then open Internet Explorer (or Firefox, or Chrome, or Safari) on the PC and enter in http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit the Enter key or Go button on the browser. See the link in my post above, it has pictures and stuff...

Last edited by sbhaven; 12-30-2012 at 13:08..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 13:18   #10
sbhaven

Quote:
The problem I seem to be having is that it will not let me enter my sister's ISP (AT&T) username and password, so I can only assume it still has my CenturyLink sign-in info in it. I'll try the "30-30-30" and let you know. Thanks. HH
When you log into the WRT54G's administrative interface, via http://192.168.1.1, using the password "admin" (no user name required). You should see this Basic Setup page...

Tech Talk

If the DSL modem does not do the PPPoE login then change the "Internet Connection Type" from "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" to "PPPoE".

Tech Talk

Then enter in the User Name and Password in the User Name/Password fields...

Tech Talk

Then hit the save setting button at the bottom of the page. Also you can configure the Wireless settings for encryption or disable it if it isn't needed, otherwise in the default setting the router may leave the wireless network wide open (unsecured).
Old 12-30-2012, 20:05   #11
HollowHead
Firm member

Thanks, gents...got it done. I was trying to configure the router from the new ipad and was putting the cart before the horse. I used an ethernet cable and did it from the existing desktop and it went fine. Thanks again! HH

Old 12-31-2012, 07:57   #12
sbhaven

Quote:
Thanks, gents...got it done. I was trying to configure the router from the new ipad and was putting the cart before the horse. I used an ethernet cable and did it from the existing desktop and it went fine. Thanks again! HH
Glad to see you got it fixed. You experienced the reason why you should always configure a router via a wired computer and not over the wireless connection.

I once tried to walk a family member through configuring their router over the phone. Had nothing but problems. I repeatedly asked if they were using a computer wired to the router, they said yes its wired. Well they weren't. Turns out they were connected to their neighbor's unsecured wireless network and had been trying to configure the neighbors router. Ooops. It was a valuable lesson for both the neighbor for leaving their wireless network wide open, and for my family member for assuming they knew what they were doing and not listening to my questions.