Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:54   #21
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
With a quality holster, reasonable belt tightness should not adversely affect draw. Are you wearing a proper gunbelt?
I'd answer with a definitive "maybe". It works for me. Holds the holster and keeps it secure when I draw. It also holds my pants. It's just that tightening the belt too much hinders the draw speed.

It's not uncomfortable and the leather holster doesn't have any reinforcing stuff at the mouth to keep it open. I think draw with (more) authority will be my solution for now.

Obama doesn’t simply lie. He exists in a truth-free zone.
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00   #22
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

It either is or it isn't. It was made to support a gun or not. There are plenty of stiff leather belts that aren't gunbelts, and don't function well when tasked with supporting that weight. Many web belts with high speed looking buckles that have no business being used as a gunbelt. The number one biggest difference between making do with a regular belt and using a purpose made one is the fact that a gunbelt doesn't have to be cinched tight to stay up or to keep the weapon from flopping out. So, if you have one, congrats. If you don't, they start from about 45 dollars. Good luck either way. Re: holsters- for those times when IWB is indicated (I usually carry OWB), I use sidearmor or crossbreed. Neither closes up with a normally adjusted belt.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33   #23
SouthpawG26

With a Wilderness Instructor belt and an empty Crossbreed Supertuck, I can tighten the belt down hard, and still reholster and draw repeatedly and smoothly. A good holster and belt combo should not affect drawing and reholstering that much, regardless of how hard you tighten down the belt.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48   #24
Stvan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanMan View Post
I love this forum, learn stuff all the time. I usually shy away from suspenders because of the need to disconnect when you drop your pants or change a shirt but it looks like these eliminate that little problem. thanks
Stvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33   #25
OldLincoln

I find the issue is using a hybrid holster as the soft back puts the squeeze on the gun. I can adjust the belt to draw okay but is tight, but have to loosen the belt and twist around to holster it. It is a very comfortable holster but I would get a full kydex with the double belt clip option if I could do it over. Since I can't I'll lose a few pounds instead.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 19:07   #26
SCmasterblaster

I wonder how this rig would work with my 32-ounce (loaded) G17?
Old 12-29-2012, 20:33   #27
deputy1199

Trade in the one size larger pants for your correct size pants with an expanding waistband. The elastic waistband allows IWB carry without excessive belt tightening. You can get the expanding waistbands in both dress and casual pants.

Last edited by deputy1199; 12-29-2012 at 20:35..
deputy1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40   #28
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy1199 View Post
Trade in the one size larger pants for your correct size pants with an expanding waistband. The elastic waistband allows IWB carry without excessive belt tightening. You can get the expanding waistbands in both dress and casual pants.
Yes, I've got some pants like that (I call them my "fat man pants" ) in long and shorts. They work very well. I was more asking about the pants I have that are larger (I lost some weight) and not expandable.

I think I've settled on being a bit more forceful on the draw and if I can't reach a reasonable solution I'll go get a better belt. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 14:13   #29
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_oglethorpe View Post
Don't over think it. Go tight and draw your gun with authority.
Amen, brother. Keep it tight.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36   #30
ScottieG59

With all my leather holsters, I take the unloaded gun, place it in a thin dress sock and holster it fully. I let it stay that way for a day or so to help fit the holster better. Once I remove the gun/sock, the gun still holsters snuggly, but fits better and draws easier.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:40   #31
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
I am using a web belt which actually seems to work well when I tighten it properly.
You seem to be rather elusive about actually telling us what belt you are using. The belt is the foundation upon which you build your carry rig...make it a solid foundation.

Now....What web belt are you using? Bison?
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:22   #32
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
With all my leather holsters, I take the unloaded gun, place it in a thin dress sock and holster it fully. I let it stay that way for a day or so to help fit the holster better. Once I remove the gun/sock, the gun still holsters snuggly, but fits better and draws easier.
I think the manufacturer called this "blocking" and suggested using the plastic bag the holster came in to do something similar.

I think that sounds like something I need to try. I think I will use the plastic and see if that does anything. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 01-02-2013, 17:26   #33
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
You seem to be rather elusive about actually telling us what belt you are using. The belt is the foundation upon which you build your carry rig...make it a solid foundation.

Now....What web belt are you using? Bison?
Not elusive -- not informed. It's been here (the belt) for a while and I cannot remember what brand it is. It seems to work as I need it to. It holds the holster / gun well and is supportive.

The root of this whole thread I started is to see if others seem to have to compromise between keeping the belt tight enough to keep the pants up while not choking the holster. I wondered if I was missing something but others seem to have had this same issue.

Old 01-02-2013, 21:46   #34
G17gen3

one answer. thebeltman. I use their horsehide w/ kydex insert (a bit overkill I know but I'll be damned if my gun doesn't stay completed put). It made all the difference and I experienced the same problems as you. I'm 5'10" and 185lbs w/ not much for hips. I carry in the 4:30-5:00 O'clock position IWB but also have a nice OWB rig I carry at 3:00 O'clock.
get a stiff belt and you'll wonder why you never had done it before.
cinch it up or wear it a bit loose. the results the same. your gun draws like it should and reholster well. of course this depends on your holster quite a bit but the belt made all the difference for me.

Last edited by G17gen3; 01-02-2013 at 21:48.. Reason: typo
G17gen3 is offline   Reply With Quote