Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 13:55   #1
Hussell_Crowe

Can a comedian go too far?

Hello people, whats your take? is there a line when it comes to something a stand up comedian can say? to put it more specifically,is there anything that a comic should not talk about?

My opinion is, no. Anything can be made funny in the right context, people have every right to get offended by certain subjects, but to say the comedian had no right to say it, is wrong.

So, has anything a comic said went too far?
Old 02-04-2013, 13:59   #2
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

It's like the old saying..."Tragedy plus time equals comedy."
Old 02-04-2013, 14:00   #3
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussell_Crowe View Post
Hello people, whats your take? is there a line when it comes to something a stand up comedian can say? to put it more specifically,is there anything that a comic should not talk about?

My opinion is, no. Anything can be made funny in the right context, people have every right to get offended by certain subjects, but to say the comedian had no right to say it, is wrong.

Saw a Japanese comic get booed for making a "Pearl Harbor Day" joke.

Obviously anything tragic (Sandy Hook, 9/11, etc) is pretty much out of bounds for the most part. Carlos Mencia managed to make some jokes about the response to 9/11 that were pretty good though. One was something like this:

"I was talking to an Al Qaeda supporter and he said 'you know what, we are trying to get an atomic bomb. And if we get it, we might use it!' I told him that we (the US) already have the atomic bomb and we've used it twice! Don't believe me? Ask Japan. They'll introduce you to a guy with two p####es and 5 b###s!"

It was funnier when he told it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:01   #4
Minnow
JUST ADD SWAG

No.
But a comedian exposing is genitals on stage is going too far. Yes, it happens.
I have also seen a couple comedians booed off stage for going a little too far with left wing rants more or less dissing the troops.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:08   #5
All Pro Sports Hero
Glock Star

Nope. Don't like the material, don't watch.
All Pro Sports Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:09   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

All too often, yes.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:10   #7
GlockinNJ

Interesting topic. IMO, yes there is a line that can be crossed. Don't get me wrong, I find off-color stuff funny. For example Stephen Lynch doing "Special Olympics" cracks me up. (I'd post a link to youtube, but I'd probably just get another infraction.) I think it works because at the end he admits he may one day have a kid who's special.

But a joke about 9/11 better be very carefully crafted in order to walk that line and work. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a lot tougher than the safer relationships/race/politics subjects comedians use.

Last edited by GlockinNJ; 02-04-2013 at 14:11..
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:10   #8
devildog2067

There's a big difference between "going to far" and simply not being funny.

Daniel Tosh's rape joke, for example, wasn't "going too far" it just wasn't a joke.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:17   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
For me, no. I like the edgy stuff in general though. For the majority of people though, anything past Bill Cosby is too far.

I love guys like Carlos Mencia, Ralphie May, Dane Cook and lewis black for just a few examples. My mother, or my mother in law certainly would not.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:19   #10
JBnTX
None

True comedy died with Red Skelton, and he never went too far.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:23   #11
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
There's a big difference between "going to far" and simply not being funny.

Daniel Tosh's rape joke, for example, wasn't "going too far" it just wasn't a joke.
I disagree, I thought it was funny.

Michael Richards' problem was that is wasn't a joke.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:25   #12
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Dave Chapebell is one of the best!! A blind black guy is a KKK leader with a huge redneck white wife, that killed me pretty bad.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:26   #13
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
For me, no. I like the edgy stuff in general though. For the majority of people though, anything past Bill Cosby is too far.

I love guys like Carlos Mencia, Ralphie May, Dane Cook and lewis black for just a few examples. My mother, or my mother in law certainly would not.
I don't think they are that edgy. Daniel Tosh, Bob Saget, and Anthony Jeselnik are more towards the inappropriate stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:34   #14
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tosh
Wouldn’t it be funny if that girl got raped by, like, five guys right now? Like right now?
There's nothing even remotely funny about this statement.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:41   #15
fgutie35

They only go to far on the eye of the offended. I grew up in Mexico, and we can be pretty cruel when it come to make fun of certain groups or things that are taboo. Is when the comedian makes fun of something you respect that defines that line. For example, Jeff Foxworthy will never get booed for jokes about liberals or democrats infront of a white audience that are Republican in mayority, no matter how cruel or disrespectul the joke. Same goes for the other side. Another phenomenom is the auto joke (Hispanic comedians making fun of hispanics and black comedians making fun of blacks), they can be pretty offensive, but is cool cause is told by someone who resembles you. Cris Rock can make jokes about ni**as, but the guy from Seinfield (Cramer) can't. You get the point?

Last edited by fgutie35; 02-04-2013 at 14:41..
fgutie35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:48   #16
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
There's nothing even remotely funny about this statement.
Yup, still funny.

Tosh is edgy, she went to his show and IMO heckled him. He came up with something on the spot to shut her up which was even more offensive. If you think he REALLY meant her harm then I think you are pretty far off. If you think it's not funny, I suggest not going to any of his shows.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:53   #17
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Sure, but the real question is how far is too far? And the answer lies with each individual. What a comedian does is say what many of us know, think or feel in a way that is humorous. How that is received is on the listener. The boundary is yours to set but for yourself, not for me or anyone else (your children are exempt from this as you are their parent an it's your responsibility to set their boundaries).

So yes they can, but then again what is too far for one person is not an issue for another.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:56   #18
devildog2067

Quote:
Yup, still funny.
Nope, still not funny.

Quote:
Tosh is edgy, she went to his show and IMO heckled him.
Tosh isn't remotely edgy, but yes, I she did heckle him and it's not like it should have been a surprise what his show is like.

Quote:
He came up with something on the spot to shut her up which was even more offensive.
But see, there's no craft in it. There's no joke. There isn't even any shock value in it--Tosh talks about rape so much, no one was even remotely surprised.

He didn't turn her words back on her. He didn't come up with something creative or clever. He didn't even manage unexpected. He just said "it'd be funny if she got raped." That's not remotely funny.

Quote:
If you think he REALLY meant her harm then I think you are pretty far off.
I don't think he meant her any harm. I just think he's a no-talent hack.

Quote:
If you think it's not funny, I suggest not going to any of his shows.
I don't.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:00   #19
Foxterriermom

Quote:

Michael Richards' problem was that is wasn't a joke.

And neither is rape, especially when you are on the receiving end of it.

ETA - And would go so far to suggest that if anyone thinks there is anything funny about rape, you obviously haven't had anyone you love be a victim of it. Try having someone over-power you and take advantage of you totally again your will and then get back with me about how hard you laughed about it.

Last edited by Foxterriermom; 02-04-2013 at 15:07..
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:01   #20
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
Sure, but the real question is how far is too far? And the answer lies with each individual. What a comedian does is say what many of us know, think or feel in a way that is humorous. How that is received is on the listener. The boundary is yours to set but for yourself, not for me or anyone else (your children are exempt from this as you are their parent an it's your responsibility to set their boundaries).

So yes they can, but then again what is too far for one person is not an issue for another.
i agree with this. carlin went way out with some things, but, was still funny, and poignant.

dice, sagat(or saget...whatever) were never funny. filth for filth's sake isn't funny. it was repetitive and dull.

hicks went waay far...and a lot of his stuff was comedic genius.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:01   #21
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I think a comic should be able to say anything he or she wants. And if he or she tries to get cross a boundary, he/she should not whine when their career ends suddenly, if it does. It happens. Some people get away with it, some don't.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:03   #22
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussell_Crowe View Post

Yes, yes, and (TOS violation level) YES.
Few can be funny anymore. If they don't say "F...U...B.." every 10 seconds. (or veriety of) I have not heard a live comedian that was worth $5 admin.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:21   #23
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post

Along those lines I think it is important for a comedian to know their audience.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:26   #24
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
Dave Chapebell is one of the best!! A blind black guy is a KKK leader with a huge redneck white wife, that killed me pretty bad.
That's one of my favorite comedy skits of all time
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:27   #25
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
I don't think they are that edgy. Daniel Tosh, Bob Saget, and Anthony Jeselnik are more towards the inappropriate stuff.
True, but I was trying to name some comedians that most people would have heard of. Aside from Full house and AFHV I doubt most people have heard bob saget and would be surprised base on those.