SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:58   #1
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Wireless networking - out of ports (?)

I have an issue and need some help from the collective about computer networking (I know this isn't a computer forum but for the computer-savvy this should be a softball). I have a modem and router for my DSL internet. The router gives me 4 wireless or wired channels (I think) so that I could have one device plugged in and three wireless, or two and two, etc. The problem is that now I need more wireless channels. I have a computer, three tablets and a dish network box on this router.

I am basing this on the fact that I am seeing different items drop the internet if others come on.

How do I add more channels? Ideally I would like to have a wireless router and modem in one unit but I can live with a separate router.

Am I completely full of it on this whole thing and have another problem?

The router is a Linksys WT54G or something like that. It is about 8 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26   #2
Ralff

I would buy a new router. If you're adamant about not buying another, get the exact model number and post it (or google it, may save you time).
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32   #3
686Owner
NRA Life Member

You likely have another problem. I don't see a maximum number of clients for that router, but it should be able to give an ip address to 254 computers before it runs out of ip addresses. Not a problem for most users.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34   #4
686Owner
NRA Life Member

I should say you likely have another problem, but it could very well still be the router. I've never heard of a wireless router that someone maxed out the connections on. If the router is dropping devices, it may be time to upgrade anyway,
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45   #5
El Barto

The ports on the back of the device are for wired hosts, not wireless.

I suspect the issue that you have is not a 'ports' issue but rather a DHCP issue. Your router on a basic setup has a DHCP server running. That DHCP server gives out IP addresses. What I believe you are experiencing is that you DHCP pool is rather small ,only allowing a handful of devices to be connected to your network.

This can be easily fixed if you navigate to your router's settings and make the DHCP pool larger.
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45   #6
Reissman

Go into the routers setup.
Google the model of the router to get the default IP address. Should be something like 192.168.0.1.
Somewhere in there will be the amount of connections.

Last edited by Reissman; 12-26-2012 at 07:46..
Reissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48   #7
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reissman View Post
Go into the routers setup.
Google the model of the router to get the default IP address. Should be something like 192.168.0.1.
Somewhere in there will be the amount of connections.

Yes, it is a router configuration issue, limiting the number of possible client connections.

What is the exact model of your router?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49   #8
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

And once you verify that the router is running a DHCP pool of adequate number, you need to make sure your computers and devices are set to use DHCP and not a static IP.

If you don't understand what we are talking about, I suggest getting your 14-year-old neighbor kid over to help. :D
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post

If you don't understand what we are talking about, I suggest getting your 14-year-old neighbor kid over to help. :D

That kid is most likely running services off his wifi
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59   #10
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
That kid is most likely running services off his wifi
Hey, he's a good kid! He left him 4 DHCP slots to use.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06   #11
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
The ports on the back of the device are for wired hosts, not wireless.

I suspect the issue that you have is not a 'ports' issue but rather a DHCP issue. Your router on a basic setup has a DHCP server running. That DHCP server gives out IP addresses. What I believe you are experiencing is that you DHCP pool is rather small ,only allowing a handful of devices to be connected to your network.

This can be easily fixed if you navigate to your router's settings and make the DHCP pool larger.
You could be onto something here. One time one of the devices - the labtop I think - gave an error that stated (paraphrased) that the IP address the device was using was also in use for something else. I can't find how to increase the number of ports so I figured it might just be limited by hardware.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09   #12
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Yes, it is a router configuration issue, limiting the number of possible client connections.

What is the exact model of your router?
It is a Linksys - something like WRT54G but I don't think that is it as I googled that one and it is about twice what I paid, 8 years ago (Actually it is more like 5-6). I will post it for certain when I get home and can look at it. It is around 5-6 years old.

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 12-26-2012 at 08:18..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11   #13
Resqu2

Just get you a new wireless N router, 8 years is ancient in computer terms. You will be amazed at the difference I bet.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18   #14
Ralff

SC Tiger, do you know how to check if your computers are running DHCP? That's another thing to check.

I think the default user name is just blank, and the password is admin. I'm going soley off a bad memory.

Last edited by Ralff; 12-26-2012 at 08:19..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20   #15
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralff View Post
SC Tiger, so you know how to check if your computers are running DHCP?

I think the default user name is just blank, and the password is admin. I'm going soley off a bad memory.
I can get into the configuration just fine for the router, but am not sure about the computer itself. The problem is when I get in there I can't remember how to change the number of clients.

I have the system password-protected so that just anyone can't hop on my network.

I may upgrade anyway but if I can fix this I will be more patient about it (ie wait for a sale).

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 12-26-2012 at 08:24..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23   #16
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
It is a Linksys - something like WRT54G. I will post it for certain when I get home and can look at it. It is around 7-8 years old.
If it's a WRT54G, the first thing to check would be the Setup section/tab, next to the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) there's a Maximum Number of DHCP Users setting, which is normally 50, but may have been changed. Ensure you have this set high enough for all your devices.

Second thing to check if that is ok would be whether the devices are set to use DCHP or not (this is the "automatically obtain IP address" setting). If they aren't, then you need to make sure none are using the same number.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31   #17
Ralff

Quote:
I can get into the configuration just fine for the router, but am not sure about the computer itself. The problem is when I get in there I can't remember how to change the number of clients.

I have the system password-protected so that just anyone can't hop on my network.

I may upgrade anyway but if I can fix this I will be more patient about it (ie wait for a sale).
For the computer, open a command prompt (hold the windows key and hit r, then type cmd and hit enter) and type ipconfig /all. Look for the line that says "DHCP Enabled ....." and it should give a Yes or No.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22   #18
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
You likely have another problem. I don't see a maximum number of clients for that router, but it should be able to give an ip address to 254 computers before it runs out of ip addresses. Not a problem for most users.
this...
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33   #19
Roger1079

That router is a dinosaur. It is likely that the price is still elevated because it is capable of running custom firmware and has a decent amount of flash memory that the newer routers fall short of. With a class C subnet (255.255.255.0) you would be allowed 253 DHCP clients before the addresses ran out.

It is a A/B/G router and you are likely getting interferece on 2.4ghz which is causing you dropped connections. A new A/B/G/N router from Linksys can run you as cheap as $40, so that would be your best option here as the N protocol runs at 5ghz which phases out a lot of problems caused by interference from other devices. Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification on my post, let me know.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35   #20
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I have an issue and need some help from the collective about computer networking (I know this isn't a computer forum but for the computer-savvy this should be a softball). I have a modem and router for my DSL internet. The router gives me 4 wireless or wired channels (I think) so that I could have one device plugged in and three wireless, or two and two, etc. The problem is that now I need more wireless channels. I have a computer, three tablets and a dish network box on this router.

I am basing this on the fact that I am seeing different items drop the internet if others come on.

How do I add more channels? Ideally I would like to have a wireless router and modem in one unit but I can live with a separate router.

Am I completely full of it on this whole thing and have another problem?

The router is a Linksys WT54G or something like that. It is about 8 years old.
Wireless bands or channels are different from ip addresses. You most likely have a class c address such as 192 168 x x. At any rate if dhcp fails to hand out an ip due to insufficient space you will get a 169.254.x.x address. Which is an indicator of what I just said. Anyways you're probably fine.

Also if you run wireless n you can run dual channels for one wap and get up to 300 Mbps . Even though in reality I usually see users with 150 Mbps give or take.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:51   #21
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Wow. I have something like 8-9 devices in the house now. But my last router did that. I never considered it limited the ports.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56   #22
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Wow. I have something like 8-9 devices in the house now. But my last router did that. I never considered it limited the ports.

Ports are something different in geek speak.
Old 12-26-2012, 20:17   #23
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
If it's a WRT54G, the first thing to check would be the Setup section/tab, next to the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) there's a Maximum Number of DHCP Users setting, which is normally 50, but may have been changed. Ensure you have this set high enough for all your devices.

Second thing to check if that is ok would be whether the devices are set to use DCHP or not (this is the "automatically obtain IP address" setting). If they aren't, then you need to make sure none are using the same number.
This. I used to have the same router. Sometimes when you reboot or shut down a device the address doesn't return (release) to the "pool" right away to be reassigned. You can also click the button on the bottom of that same page to see the current list of clients. That should give you an idea of what's connected to your network.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:30   #24
NorthernAlpine
RLTW

You don't have to buy a new router to get better results. I have the same router with different firmware in my shop and it can push anything you want with near unlimited devices. If you are not technically afraid, go to http://www.ww-drt.com/, the router you have is one of the easiest to flash with new firmware and basically breathe new life into.

PM me if you want a step-by-step
Bren
NorthernAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07   #25
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Update - found the field for how many IP addresses it is allowed to give out and it was set to 5 (this field was literally staring me in the face). This was probably the issue as I had, at the time, three tablets, a wireless printer, a dish network box, and a laptop computer on it, not to mention the 14-year-old kid down the street (LOL). I reset this to 25 and I haven't tried running everything at once yet but so far it seems to work better. We will see.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 12-27-2012 at 08:08..