Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 19:39   #101
Narkcop

Need for weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I dont disagree, but it is an argument with a lot of holes in it.

Do you need handcuffs? Do you need the ability to pull people over? Do you need to wear body armor all day? Do you need the legal obligation to act in all crimes you see? ...and a bunch of other things.

Lets be honest, the Police, Doctors, Dentists, Locksmiths...and a lot of other professions do things you cant and probably shouldnt.

Again, I agree with you but poeple on all sides focus on the guns. When was the last time you wore body armor all day long? When was the last time you went to a driving skills class? When was the last time you went to a class to learn how to deescalate violent situations with your words? (Point being here, again, people tend to focus on the guns when there is so much far more likely that they neglect)
I am a police detective and I can tell you that when call volume is high that you are on your own. You don't need handcuffs or radar detectors or any of the other police bs. You need a decent weapon and if you choose a high capacity weapon you should have one. It makes sense if police need them then maybe you will too. Don't ya think?

Last edited by Narkcop; 12-26-2012 at 19:39..
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 19:53   #102
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
I am a police detective and I can tell you that when call volume is high that you are on your own. You don't need handcuffs or radar detectors or any of the other police bs. You need a decent weapon and if you choose a high capacity weapon you should have one. It makes sense if police need them then maybe you will too. Don't ya think?
As I've posted more than once - when I was a cop in a couple of small towns in rural appalachian counties, it was not an unusual night when the state police post covering 5 counties had NO troopers on duty and one "on call". Within those 5 counties, there were 4 24-hour city police departments covering very small towns in 4 counties. If you called that a burglar was breaking in or somebody was shooting at you, outside of those 3 largest towns (and 1 smallest town) it would easily be an hour before help came and possibly more. You had a better chance on busy nights.

Last edited by Bren; 12-26-2012 at 19:55..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:03   #103
NorthernAlpine
RLTW

The Okie Corral

Agree to disagree
Bren
NorthernAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:24   #104
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The police needed an Intoxilyzer machine, do you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:29   #105
Bruce M

Does an ignition interlock device count as an Intoxilyzer?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:35   #106
*ASH*

i cant believe i read this crap
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:39   #107
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

Only for parties!

And if not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:44   #108
Averageman

I swear the next Liberal who wants my gun is going to get a free ticket to the Canadian border. I will ask him to face south and start confiscating every damn gun in every damn house between him and Texas.
If he makes it to Kansas I will buy him a beer and give him every gun and every round of ammo in my house.
He will be of course free to take as many of his Brikenstock wearing Patcholi smelling hippy friends with him. I have no doubt the will not make it as far as the Twin Cities.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:50   #109
OlliesRevenge

Quote:

I know you're kidding, but... Just in case you're not... Non sequitur, civilians are not in the business of busting people for DUI.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 20:52   #110
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
I swear the next Liberal who wants my gun is going to get a free ticket to the Canadian border. I will ask him to face south and start confiscating every damn gun in every damn house between him and Texas.
If he makes it to Kansas I will buy him a beer and give him every gun and every round of ammo in my house.
He will be of course free to take as many of his Brikenstock wearing Patcholi smelling hippy friends with him. I have no doubt the will not make it as far as the Twin Cities.
That reminds me of the "Survivor Show" joke. The next Survivor Show will involve a pink mini cooper with a "I voted for Obama sticker and I am here to take your guns." The survival part is driving from one end of Texas to the other.
Old 12-26-2012, 20:56   #111
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
I know you're kidding, but... Just in case you're not... Non sequitur, civilians are not in the business of busting people for DUI.
Or making arrests, being a first responder, or putting your life on the line for people that hate you.
Old 12-26-2012, 20:58   #112
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I try to avoid the word "never" when I am talking about firearms tactics. I can envision any of a few scenarios where I would find a handgun far more applicable than a long-arm. It would surprise me if you too, with some consideration were not able to arrive at that conclusion.

I guess you're right, although outside of clearing the crawlspace under my house of bad guys, I can't really think of any right now.

I carry a handgun when I'm out and about simply because it is impractical to tote around a rifle or shotgun, and my doing so would frighten the Subaru driving liberals of Seattle.

~Henry David Thoreau

Old 12-26-2012, 21:03   #113
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Or making arrests, being a first responder, or putting your life on the line for people that hate you.
I am a first responder, and I wear a dark blue uniform, but people don't hate me. . And it's a good thing too because I'm not allowed to carry a handgun when I'm on duty. In fact, when I'm out inspecting buildings sometimes I wear my big red helmet just so I don't get mistaken for a cop.
:tongue out:

~Henry David Thoreau

Old 12-26-2012, 21:09   #114
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Since I drive into France, yes. It is required by law to have one in a car in France.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 21:11   #115
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
I am a first responder, and I wear a dark blue uniform, but people don't hate me. . And it's a good thing too because I'm not allowed to carry a handgun when I'm on duty. In fact, when I'm out inspecting buildings sometimes I wear my big red helmet just so I don't get mistaken for a cop.
:tongue out:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to be. No one ever is happy to see you. No matter how fast you respond, you're too late. No matter what law you enforce that you didn't write, you are treated as if you invented it yourself. Liberals hate you, because you represent authority. Conversatives hate you, because vicariously they hate the people that wrote the legislation, and think you are there to somehow eliminate their "rugged individualism"

Liberals will try to blow you up. Militant militia and gang members will try to mow you down.

Everyone wants to "be you" but without any of the headaches or hardships as the this whole tread demonstrates.

It is a thankless job. Weakness is not allowed in the ranks. Your wife really doesn't want to know how your day went, nor the things that tick you off.

Your children and the dog just want your love and attention. Children and dogs are God's wonders.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 12-26-2012 at 21:15..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 21:29   #116
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

The police need a union,

oh wait, you DON"T want THAT!

Old 12-26-2012, 21:48   #117
OlliesRevenge

Quote:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to be. No one ever is happy to see you. No matter how fast you respond, you're too late. No matter what law you enforce that you didn't write, you are treated as if you invented it yourself. Liberals hate you, because you represent authority. Conversatives hate you, because vicariously they hate the people that wrote the legislation, and think you are there to somehow eliminate their "rugged individualism"

Liberals will try to blow you up. Militant militia and gang members will try to mow you down.

Everyone wants to "be you" but without any of the headaches or hardships as the this whole tread demonstrates.

It is a thankless job. Weakness is not allowed in the ranks. Your wife really doesn't want to know how your day went, nor the things that tick you off.

Your children and the dog just want your love and attention. Children and dogs are God's wonders.
Dude, you sound a little down. Don't let the silly season get to you. In spite of all my online criticisms, honestly, I'm happy to see you fairly often. Maybe even as often as once a shift it's nice to have the guys with Glocks hanging around.

Just one request...When you stop by the station and drop a bomb after eating Mexican food, maybe try to wipe underneath the seat. Then we'll be happy to see you at our house too.

~Henry David Thoreau

Old 12-26-2012, 21:57   #118
*ASH*

Quote:

i think the opposite , anyone who want to be a cop , coming in contact with druggies, dead beats , bad cops , and the general public and get paid hardly nothing has to already be NUTZ .
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 00:46   #119
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I dont disagree, but it is an argument with a lot of holes in it.

Do you need handcuffs? Do you need the ability to pull people over? Do you need to wear body armor all day? Do you need the legal obligation to act in all crimes you see? ...and a bunch of other things.

Lets be honest, the Police, Doctors, Dentists, Locksmiths...and a lot of other professions do things you cant and probably shouldnt.

Again, I agree with you but people on all sides focus on the guns. When was the last time you wore body armor all day long? When was the last time you went to a driving skills class? When was the last time you went to a class to learn how to deescalate violent situations with your words? (Point being here, again, people tend to focus on the guns when there is so much far more likely that they neglect)
The police do not have to protect anyone pursuant to "case law" so the op has a point. You do too but we base rules upon the belief that police are better shots, more honest and faster and stronger than the average person and that is just not "real life". But your overall points are basically accurate.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19   #120
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Since I drive into France, yes. It is required by law to have one in a car in France.
You have no idea what you are talking about. We are not speaking of PBT's, which are not even admissible in court in my state. So, if this isn't a tongue-in-cheek sarcastic post, please let us all know which model you have in your car. I'm interested in seeing it.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10   #121
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
The police do not have to protect anyone pursuant to "case law" so the op has a point. You do too but we base rules upon the belief that police are better shots, more honest and faster and stronger than the average person(super humans) and that is just not "real life". But your overall points are basically accurate.
But I agree fully with the posts above talking about back up being miles away. This happens in Central Va and west Va and Pa too. There was a shoot out in a small town in Pa a few years ago with bank robbers and a citizen brought his ar out to help the town cops before the state pd arrived. So I guess this issue would be very subjective.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03   #122
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

The police in this thread need sounder arguments. Do you?

We are talking about "guns". Intoxixlyer doohickeys and Tetanus shots and Spike strips and tighty whiteys don't do the homeowner a lick of good if some dudes are kicking down his door, or if a knife is stuck in granny's car window when she is leaving bingo.

...and only a fool would mess with granny on bingo night, if she won, or lost.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09   #123
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I guess you're right, although outside of clearing the crawlspace under my house of bad guys, I can't really think of any right now.

I carry a handgun when I'm out and about simply because it is impractical to tote around a rifle or shotgun, and my doing so would frighten the Subaru driving liberals of Seattle.
So what we are seeing is, you have not sat and thought hard enough about all of the "what ifs" that can turn your day into "oh crap".

• What if you are in your garage, which is attached to your house, and some guy sticks a knife in your neck as soon as you strap on your seat belt?
  • What if every other layer of security failed (dogs, alarm, door) you step out the bedroom with your rifle and dude gets you in a bear hug?
In short, if I am physically fighting with someone - especially someone larger and stronger than I am, and ESPECIALLY if there is more than one of them, I DO NOT WANT my go to percussive gun to be a long gun. I would much rather have a small handgun I can get to fast and stick in someone's gut for a rapid succession of shots until they stop beating my head in or choking me out or ventilating my torso with a sharp edged weapon.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:28   #124
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. We are not speaking of PBT's, which are not even admissible in court in my state. So, if this isn't a tongue-in-cheek sarcastic post, please let us all know which model you have in your car. I'm interested in seeing it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...motorists.html

Kinda funny that you have to have at least TWO if they are single use.

What is permissible in court in your state has no bearing on French law. When you drive into France, you must follow French law.

And in case you dont know, I live more in Germany than the USA. My apartment is near Basel. In case you dont know where that is, I can be in Switzerland and France in a matter of minutes. As an example the Basel Airport is not in Basel, Switzerland but Mullhouse, France.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.

Last edited by DanaT; 12-27-2012 at 07:30..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53   #125
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

That's a PBT, not an Intoxilyzer.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote