Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42   #1
pspez

Can I carry in Ikea

I was at Ikea yesterday and they had a sign that I don't specifically remember the wording but, it was implying that no firearms were allowed. Can I still carry in that store even though I have a conceal liceness?
pspez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04   #2
TheExplorer

Refer here...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

“No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:36   #3
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

If it is against the law to carry, ie, courts, government buildings for example, maybe places that sell liquor, I bow to the law.

If it is a business for example, IMO if they want everyone but criminals disarmed, then they should be liable if anything happens to a higher degree than a non anti-firearm establishment. For they made their rules disarming lawful carrying people thus it should be their responsibility then to provide for instance armed security. Just my opinion though.
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 13:16   #4
pspez

Thanks guy.
pspez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 13:23   #5
alwaysshootin

In Ohio, it is only problematic if you get caught, and, even then, all they can do, is ask you to leave, and if you do, there is no recourse for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25   #6
Misty02

Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know youíre not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible Iíll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toyís R Us, I donít care how competitive they make something Iím looking for.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28   #7
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
In Ohio, it is only problematic if you get caught, and, even then, all they can do, is ask you to leave, and if you do, there is no recourse for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In Florida as well. If asked to leave, do so immediately (no lip service), then again that applies whether youíre carrying or not. You could be charged with trespassing otherwise, in our case it may even be armed trespassing.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13   #8
fuzzy03cls

We are neighbors, CC too...

As covered, signs have no legal weight in FL. I ignore them & if your concealing right no one should know.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 14:38   #9
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

don't read the sign.
Old 07-17-2012, 20:20   #10
deadmanglocking

In Texas it has to be 30.06 posted to be legal.
"no gun" signs carry no weight here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by deadmanglocking; 07-17-2012 at 20:21..
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 22:12   #11
cowboy1964

Deleted

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-17-2012 at 22:18..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 00:00   #12
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
If it is against the law to carry, ie, courts, government buildings for example, maybe places that sell liquor, I bow to the law.

If it is a business for example, IMO if they want everyone but criminals disarmed, then they should be liable if anything happens to a higher degree than a non anti-firearm establishment. For they made their rules disarming lawful carrying people thus it should be their responsibility then to provide for instance armed security. Just my opinion though.
This. Ask for the manager and ask if he has hired security... if the answer is no then look him in the eye and tell him that he doesn't deserve your business. Walk away.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 20:51   #13
jonboy20

The ikea in round rock Texas has the required sign to ban chl holders from carrying a weapon. In fact the sign is twice the size as required by law. They also have a sticker on the door advertising a gun free zone. Today I posted on their Facebook account a simple question of why they have this policy and they deleted my post.
jonboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 22:04   #14
I'M Glockamolie

How I view Ikea:
Old 12-27-2012, 22:25   #15
cesaros

If its concealed, no one should know anyway. Carry away.

I don't particularly like 'the man' telling me where I can defend myself.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39   #16
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Carrying in Ikea in Israel is kosher.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50   #17
Doubletaps'Rus

I have made it my hobby to write to stores that don't allow CCW on their premises. In my letters I am polite and point out that I have completed and passed State and Federal background checks. I ask them what they know about their nonccw customers. I ask them to change their policy and promise to shop there again as soon as they do.

I refuse to give money to people who violate my civil rights. I would encourage you to do the same. But a silent protest doesn't work. If Ikea got 10,000 letters explaining why we won't shop there, maybe they would reconsider their policy.
ďThe police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.Ē
Doubletaps'Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13   #18
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know you’re not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible I’ll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toy’s R Us, I don’t care how competitive they make something I’m looking for.

In many cases, it's not that we're unwanted, it's that the lawyers have forced the company to consider the potential ramifications of a customer using a gun and accidentally shooting another customer.

If a company spokesperson comes out and says, "Guns are icky" I will certainly avoid buying their products when possible.

But if their only act is to put up a meaningless sign, I tend to keep that act separate from my decision to shop there.

In other words, if there is something I want to buy at Ikea, I will buy it at Ikea, and simply ignore the sign as I carry my lawfully concealed weapon.

(Has Ikea come out of the closet as an 'anti-gun' corporation? I honestly don't know.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 12-28-2012 at 07:14..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:59   #19
jeager

why would you do business with this Troll-faced, stingy, sob who knowingly used Forced Labour ?

Last edited by jeager; 12-28-2012 at 08:00.. Reason: lookitupyourself
jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24   #20
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Are you a literate adult, or a wannabe gangster? If the property owner says they don't want guns on their property, go elsewhere or lock it up. IF your plan A is to make excuses or claim ignorance for your behavior, you might want to have a good plan B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspez View Post
I was at Ikea yesterday and they had a sign that I don't specifically remember the wording but, it was implying that no firearms were allowed. Can I still carry in that store even though I have a conceal liceness?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22   #21
jph02

There is nothing on Ikea's website to indicate a gun-free corporate policy. If a store is posted, it must be a local decision that I'd address to the manager. I agree a silent protest will accomplish nothing, so maybe even writing corporate about a local store policy might be helpful.

As to those who chose to ignore private property rights because they disagree with them, that's too bad. You are, selfishly, missing an opportunity to educate the non-gun crowd, at best, or debasing your moral position, at worst. Just my 2 cents.
jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07   #22
G26AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanglocking View Post
In Texas it has to be 30.06 posted to be legal.
"no gun" signs carry no weight here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Can somebody post a picture of a proper "30.06" sign? I have heard about them for years, but - living in AZ, have never seen one.
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17   #23
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26AZ View Post
Can somebody post a picture of a proper "30.06" sign? I have heard about them for years, but - living in AZ, have never seen one.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Texas+concealed...%22+sign+image
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 14:07   #24
xidica

The IKEA in Houston did apparently have a 30.06 at some point in time, but hasn't on my last few trips. They have the standard "no firearms" sign, but that's not sufficient to prevent a licensed CHL holder in Texas, AFAIK.
Old 12-28-2012, 14:16   #25
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Folks who want to emulate a criminal have to have fun somehow. It's fascinating how Merka has swung from a culture of honor and respect to how much an individual can get away with. If no property owner's rights carry weight, don't cry when someone appropriates yours for their desired use.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-28-2012 at 14:18..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote