Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2012, 00:23   #1
OhioGlock90

Reloading

I was thinking reloading might be a good idea in order to be able to shoot more. Watched a few videos on it and now am completely overwhelmed!! Some more research is definitely necessary

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17   #2
sig357fan

Come over to the reloading forum.

Check out the sticky for some real good info posted by some of the regulars, and then ask questions, we’ll be able to help point you in the right direction.

Sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44   #3
gunowner1

I thought the same thing when I started a few months ago. After reading the stickies in the reloading section and asking many questions here I am safely producing quality ammo, having fun doing it, and saving a ton of money.
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05   #4
JakeFromStateFarm
.40 S&W🍫

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Might be a bit of help. If u havnt already checked it out.
JakeFromStateFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:35   #5
Beanie-Bean

I had a lot of fun researching and asking a lot of questions before I jumped in.

In the end, I ended up making my own bench, and I couldn't be happier with the results! Of course, there were times when my schedule didn't allow me to enjoy my setup, so I'd buy factory ammo. That's what I use when breaking in new firearms, anyway.

You'll be able to smile, too, when you read about ammo shortages, hard-to-find ammo for certain calibers, etc.

Oh yeah...the new Hornady 9th ed. manual just came out...

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37   #6
Pilotdude3407

That's the thing about reloading...it is really easy, HOWEVER, it requires you to do your homework before diving in. My personal opinion is to not skimp on reloading. Some recommend single stage presses to begin with and I say money permitting, go all out. Get a progressive reloader (one that has 5 stations and will move the shells for you, also known as auto indexing). I would also start with one caliber and get good at it. I tried to do to much and ended up doing it sloppy for a while. I would stay away from rifle rounds early on until you have the general concept down as to not overwhelm yourself with trimming, deburring, reaming, etc. pay attention to detail and don't get fast or sloppy. When I got sloppy, I can't tell you how many rounds I forgot to put primers in and on two occasions forgot power. You will hear as many different opinions on reloading equipment as you do gun recommendations...

My initial set-up and one I have stuck too for over a year now.

-Hornady Lock-n-load AP press with Auto shell feeder

-All hornady Dies

-Hornady and Speer reloading manuals

-RCBS digital scale

-RCBS primer pick up tray

-Hornady vibratory tumbler

I personally LOVE Hornady. I know a lot of people will say Dillon, which, money permitting might not be a bad idea. Personally, from my research, unless you get the super 1050 Dillon, they are all the same with Hornady being less expensive. Also, Hornady customer service has been the best I have ever encountered...period. I've called them several times and told them I broke something on my die or my press and it was pure uncontested negligence on my part...no questions ask, they sent me the new part (and usually spares) completely under warranty. Good luck to you, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Pilotdude3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37   #7
gunowner1

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

This will help show you how much you can save reloading.
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:50   #8
SJ 40

I've never saved any money reloading but have shot 10 times more. I never have a problem with supply,as long as I'm willing to spend the time at my bench which is not a problem as I enjoy reloading.
The sooner one starts reloading the quicker one takes control of ones ammunition supply.
SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43   #9
Tkz

Fairly new to reloading myself, the Lee website had some good step by step vids detailing each one of the dies. Get a reloading manual for loads. Take your time and eliminate any distractions that could cause ya to goof up, it's really not that complicated.
Tkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00   #10
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
...You'll be able to smile, too, when you read about ammo shortages, hard-to-find ammo for certain calibers, etc.
...and you'll be able to frown when you try to buy primers, powder, and bullets and find that they are hard-to-find right now too.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:34   #11
Nutt51

Reloading is a little time consuming, and getting started
a little expensive, buying good gear a little at a time,
(Buy the best equipment you can, especially your press
and dies, they will last you a lifetime).
You won't save a lot of money, but as already mentioned,
you can shoot a lot more, a lot cheaper.
Reloading to me is relaxing, therapeutic, and rewarding.
The only down side is, my wife has cut off my account
at Midwayusa, Brownells, and a few other places. So many toys, and so little time.

Good luck, read, read, read, ask questions, don't take any
advice as pure gospel truth.
As the commercial says, They can't say anything on the
internet that isn't true.
You'll have fun and learn as you go.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 13:04   #12
OhioGlock90

Thanks for the help guys. I have read that you don't really save money you just end up shooting more, which is fine by me. Right now all I would be reloading is 9mm but I eventually want Some .45's and even a 10mm. I'm hoping after I buy my AR(...... If their is not a AWB) I can start to assemble my reloading equipment.

Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 13:17   #13
cgff

I started loading for the .45acp because cost for target ammunition was costly and this was in the 90s!
Reloading ends up turning into a hobby all in its own.
Components right now may be a bit elusive. But you have the ability to be slightly self sufficient.
cgff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 13:29   #14
PattonT

How many rounds a year do you think you will shoot? Ok, now triple that. Do you want to produce 30 rds an hour? Do you want to produce 200 an hour? Very few people that start reloading get out of it. I started with a single stage press and have no intention on using anything else. I produce 50rds an hour but my quality control is top notch. I get a chance to inspect every case through every stage. I have ~$250 in press, scales, powder dispenser, gauge, trays, etc. I feel like after the first year I have now broke even with the savings. I have probably paid for the dies also. I might start casting soon but I won't go to a different press. I wish I would have gotten a digital scale but a balance beam came in the kit. I don't trim cases because I only do straightwall cases.
Old 12-31-2012, 14:40   #15
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
...and you'll be able to frown when you try to buy primers, powder, and bullets and find that they are hard-to-find right now too.
So true, SARDG! I've got so much stuff at my bench right now that it doesn't even move! Powder reserves are good, as are primers, but you can bet that I'll be ordering a palette of goods once all the panic buying is done and the components are more readily available, especially SPP.

Happy Shooting, man!

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 16:10   #16
Kentguy

OhioGlock90,

These folks have hit the nail on the head for you here. Reloading is most definately worth your time, effort and money.

The only thing I can re-offer you is for me anyway reloading is boiled down to three words;

Experimentation
Observation
Documentation

Don't ever skimp on your homework, pay attention to everything, and write it down!

Remember you and you alone are the quality control department. Ask lots of questions even if you think they are dumb ones... we all have at one time or another.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-31-2012, 16:55   #17
SARDG

I have a progressive - Dillon 650 - and am glad I started with that at least. When I was starting (not that long ago) and was getting some help from a mentor at my club, he told me that if I can understand how each system and each part of the press works and what each cam, head, rod, screw, etc, is responsible for and how each system interacts with others on the press, then I will be fine. Now that aforementioned info is for the press - you will still have to know cause-and-effect for the things that your press can be adjusted to do and how each influences the other - OAL, powder drop, weighing, crimp, seat, etc - each have an effect on the finished product. And they can have an additive adverse effect on the finished product. Read, read, read! I would say that mechanical aptitude and a great deal of common sense is absolutely required, but a lot of handle pullers seem to somehow live through this hobby.

Buy the best gear you can possibly afford - even saving to afford better equipment. There are odds and ends that you will also need - calipers, check-weights, perhaps a tumbler (I use ultrasonic), bullet puller, etc, etc. (The etceteras add up, too.) Read, read, read this forum and you will soon see who the experienced reloaders are.

Save these words for later, when you begin to buy your first gear and components: "DO NOT START YOUR RELOADING CAREER WITH PLATED BULLETS. DO NOT USE A COMBINATION SEAT/CRIMP DIE. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP SCALE. BUDGET FOR CHECK-WEIGHTS. CALIBRATION WEIGHTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS CHECK-WEIGHTS. CHECK YOUR SCALE'S CALIBRATION AND ACCURACY OFTEN."
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 19:31   #18
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have read that you don't really save money you just end up shooting more, which is fine by me. Right now all I would be reloading is 9mm but I eventually want Some .45's and even a 10mm. I'm hoping after I buy my AR(...... If their is not a AWB) I can start to assemble my reloading equipment.

I so hate that line. It's pure BS. You shoot what youcan afford & have time for. I used to shoot 3K rds a month, now I am down to 1000. Same reloading gear, I just don't spend as much time shooting. What is true, you save at least 50% vs cheap factory ammo by reloading. How much you shoot is up to you, but you DO save money per round.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-31-2012 at 19:31..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 22:49   #19
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:

Buy the Ar first. No one is talking about banning dillons. At least buy a stripped lower and then finish at your leisure.

Reloading is a great hobby but realistically you need to be able to drop at least $500 into it to get going. Personally I would make it closer to a grand.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 23:26   #20
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
I was thinking reloading might be a good idea in order to be able to shoot more. Watched a few videos on it and now am completely overwhelmed!! Some more research is definitely necessary

I've been reloading a few days now, it's not so bad.
Not any harder than making cookies,but if you don't pay attention your cookies can go boom in a bad way.

I started with a very simple set up,I'm glad I did.