Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:49   #1
Dubble-Tapper

Benelli M1 Super 90? take me to school

i have the opportunity to receive a Benelli M1 super 90. I dont know much about it. It is marked H&K, apparently they imported them? Anyways, it is in good shape, only a few small scratches and the bolt, action, and bore all look pretty and clean.

anyone shoot these? i havent done much research, but i read that they cant cycle cheap bird loads? thats an issue with me...

let me know what you guys think.
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 13:36   #2
tactom

My Super 90 cycles Remington & Winchester bird loads with no problems. I've had it for over a year & it cycles like a champ.
tactom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 17:23   #3
DougW
Native Texan

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical, and sold my H&K M1 Super90 to a close friend. The best tactical/defence shotgun out there. Check out the 3 gun match shooters, and you will see that 98% of them use a Benelli shotgun. I wouldn't ever sell mine! My favorite long arm, and I have a bunch of AR's. Jump at the opportunity if the price is right.

Tactical Shotguns

I changed the Tactical to a straight stock, as I can reload much faster that way. The pistol grip shotgun is an early H&K imported Benelli.

Proud Father of Two US Army Soldiers

Last edited by DougW; 12-23-2012 at 10:37..
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 18:22   #4
Dubble-Tapper

its mine! my buddy needed some work done on his integra, and he payed me with this. i havent had it out yet, but ive needed a shotgun for a while.

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical ShotgunsTactical Shotguns
Old 12-22-2012, 18:33   #5
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Running one at first can be a little complicated from what I remember, the loading cycle's a little different than a pump.

But with a trained shooter the Super 90 can burn through rounds accurately faster than any other shotgun except a full auto. Five rounds in 1.5 seconds or so.

The recoil system does have issues with adding accessories (shell carriers, lights, optics) but otherwise, it's reliable.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 18:37   #6
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I had one and it was a donkey with anything attached to it-even the surefire forend slowed it down. I liked it but I am content with my 870. I guess I regret selling it-but I regret lots of past sales.

MF
Old 12-22-2012, 23:09   #7
Nalapombu

I have a M1S90 that came with a 24 inch barrel and I just recently traded a 3 gun shooter for his 21 inch VR barrel. Seems he wanted my longer barrel to have a longer mag tube. Since I had been looking to trade for a 21 inch barrel for over 3 years, I JUMPED at the chance. Now I have to get a mag extension, a barrel clamp, maybe an enlarged safety button, and maybe a new bolt handle to make it look better than the stock one.

You'll find that the Benelli M1 and M2 shotguns are THE shotgun for the 3 gunners, as was mentioned earlier. They just go and go and go. Now to be honest a great many of these shooters have their stock M2's tricked out by these master shotgun smiths to squeeze ever ounce of performance they can get out of them. The sky is the limit on what you can spend too. A good friend of mine owns a bicycle shop and he has a sign hanging up that is appropriate here. The sign says "SPEED COSTS MONEY....HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?"

I am going to use mine as a HD shotgun and some playing around on the clay target ranges. Sure I might like to get into some 3 gun stuff, but I wouldn't know where to start or how to get into it.

If you plan on just doing recreational shooting at the range and maybe some HD use or occasional shooting games, you'd be just fine with just a few updates like a mag extension and maybe an updated fiber optic sight. Those are things only YOU can determine though after you shoot your shotgun and get familiar with it.

One word of warning though, when you start playing with the Benelli toys, be prepared to SPEND. NOTHING that comes from Benelli USA is inexpensive. A new barrel for a M1 or M2 is almost $500. Mag extensions are around $80 or so. The money can add up very quickly so make changes as your budget allows. USED stuff is also very difficult to find and when you do, it will also be expensive.

Of course all of this stuff is irrelevant if you don't plan on doing any customization or parts changing. If you are happy with your M1 as it is now, FANTASTIC. Get out and start shooting her. Pick up some different boxes of target ammo and see what works best for you. I'm certain you'll find some cheap ammo that will work like a dream in your M1. If you have problems, just ask for help. There are TONS of really knowledgeable Benelli fellas hanging out here and on other forums that would be more than willing to help with any problem you might run into.

Congrats and hope you enjoy your M1. How about posting a picture and range report when you get done?

Nalajr
Old 12-23-2012, 05:14   #8
frankr

You will love it. I have the new Benelli M2 Tactical pretty much the same as the M1. I’ve put a little over 400 shells through my gun with zero malfunctions and most of the 400 were Winchester Universal low brass loads I get at Wal-Mart in the 100 shell value pack. A great value when you want to do some fun shooting. I’m amazed at how accurate this gun is with the ghost ring sights and 1oz slugs. I also like the extra chokes I got with the gun.

Last edited by frankr; 12-24-2012 at 03:14..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11   #9
TurboRocket

Dubble-Tapper, I have that exact shotgun, GRS and all. Great get!

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32   #10
fran m

I have one and shot it a little bit. I did put a box of cheap Remington Bird shot through it with no problem. The recoil was more than I would have thought it would be.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34   #11
fran m

I have one and shot it a little bit. I did put a box of cheap Remington Bird shot through it with no problem. The recoil was more than I would have thought it would be.

I doubt you can touch one for less than $1000. I got mine very slightly used too. It had the box, choke tubes, paperwork and wrench.

Good luck with it.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 19:31   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Had my Benelli SBE II down in Arkansas this weekend in a muddy duck blind for 3 days. fired close to 100 shells in really nasty muddy conditions without a hitch. I own 4 Benelli Shotguns and they are uber-reliable. You won't be disappointed in your M1. I owned a black M1 field model about a dozen years ago and used it until the barrel was almost shiney bright on the outside. It was a bird murdering machine.

ďEst Nulla Via Invia ViruteĒ
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 22:32   #13
nostalgiaguy

Just picked the HK super 90 up a few weeks ago at a local store. It is more of a field version with vent rib bbl and nice (but well worn ) lumber on it. I took it to the range and ran our local SD quals with it. Scored 100. It was not my shooting i am sure. The gun was a natural. I am not a great shotgunner. 30 yards with the bead had the slugs touching almost. Improved choke made a tight spread. The recoil was mangable for my cripple body. I am for the first time impressed with something other than my 870s
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 13:07   #14
Dubble-Tapper

so i finally got her to the range.... put a few different loads through it.

winchester Wally world game/target loads 1200 fps: cycles fine unless i rapid fire. it choked several times. kinda disappointing. out of 8 rounds, it would choke one or two.

remington 00buck: cycles better. still choked once out of around 50 rounds.

remington 1oz rifled slugs: it seemed to like these, but i still had one failure.

win PDX1 rifled slug/3 pellets of buckshot: it liked these. i didnt shoot too many of them, but they work. cool round.

conclusion: I really expected more reliability. Im not sold on this auto, im sure many peoples work, but mine is not 100 percent. Its a HD shotgun, but i like to play on the range, so the fact that it wont cycle cheap target loads is a big negative.

i may go sell it to get a mossy/870 pump and a new carry piece.
Old 01-04-2013, 13:15   #15
Hawkeye16

That is pretty disappointing. I would have expected better as well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 00:59   #16
frankr

Very disappointing, mine has been 100% right out of the box. Iíve heard of a few that needed a hundred or so rounds to break in. You said your M1 was fine with the low brass stuff until rapid fire then it choked several times, do you mean failure to eject? If it were me I would pick up a 100 shell low brass value pack at Wal-Mart for around $26.00 then go out to the range and shot 75 shells at a rate of fire that the gun functions. The last 25 I would try rapid fire. If it still chokes, then Iím like you. I could not own a gun that was not 100%. Thatís why I have two Glockís. Good luck
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24   #17
Dubble-Tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
Very disappointing, mine has been 100% right out of the box. Iíve heard of a few that needed a hundred or so rounds to break in. You said your M1 was fine with the low brass stuff until rapid fire then it choked several times, do you mean failure to eject? If it were me I would pick up a 100 shell low brass value pack at Wal-Mart for around $26.00 then go out to the range and shot 75 shells at a rate of fire that the gun functions. The last 25 I would try rapid fire. If it still chokes, then Iím like you. I could not own a gun that was not 100%. Thatís why I have two Glockís. Good luck
I was frustrated when I posted that. I plan to give it another chance as the gun had less than 100 rounds through it. Maybe it needs to be broken in a bit?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26   #18
frankr

Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00   #19
SPIN2010
Searching ...

How long has that gun been sitting or last cleaning?

You might have to disassemble the inertia arm/link and rear stock light oil lube (i.e. check for goo). Clean it (rcvr too), loosely reassemble, and then cycle the action ... tighten it up slowly/evenly. Also make sure the link is not contacting the rcvr-stock plastic spacer (seen that a time or two on M1 SGs).

I had one that acted up, and this brought mine back into action 100% ... just a thought.

Last edited by SPIN2010; 01-05-2013 at 05:02..
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33   #20
VinnieG

Take it down and properly clean ad lube it. If I start havin problems with one of mine this always does the trick.
VinnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:23   #21
Dubble-Tapper

thanks guys. ill try that, i havent even taken it down yet. i bought it from the son of the original owner, he said his dad NEVER EVER fired a single round through it, and the son put around 200 rds through it. it then sat in a closet for about 15 years untouched.
Old 01-05-2013, 22:06   #22
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Probably dusty and full of shipping goo still. Clean it, shoot it, see what happens.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04   #23
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I have 2 of them, they are great shotguns.
Old 01-06-2013, 15:50   #24
Dubble-Tapper

so i finally took this thing apart, and man was it dry, dirty, and sticky. Very cool how it breaks down. i got her all cleaned and oiled up, and will take her back out today. the action feels WAY better just cycling it by hand. hopefully this helps, i really want it to work, as it is one of the best feeling shotguns ive ever fired. so fun to put slugs through.
Old 01-07-2013, 16:04   #25
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Since you bought it used I recommend you take off the recoil pad (it snaps off--twist it sideways). The take off the buttstock. You will need a 13mm socket with an extension. Pay attention to how everything under the bolt sits and be sure not to lose the lock washer under the bolt. When you take off the stock you will see the recoil tube. In older Benelli's this was made of Carbon Steel and had a tendency to get gunked up especially in hard use hunting guns and they would rust. In any case you need to clean the tube and the way the factory recommends is to spray in some gun solvent into the hole at the end of the tube. Swish it around and repeat a few times. Then LIGHTLY lubricate the interior with some oil. Benelli doesn't recommend you take off the end cap on the older tubes as its easy to bend them. The newer guns have aluminum recoil tubes and don't have the issues with corrosion. You shouldn't have to clean it very often--maybe once a year if you shoot a couple thousand rounds. Should be fine.

ďEst Nulla Via Invia ViruteĒ
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote