Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2012, 15:25   #41
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You're next in the 1911-snob club, SG.

I nominate Joe as the president.

The truth is ...once you 'go bl err...better you can't go back!' I don't have nearly as many 1911's as you guys, but the more I shoot the smooth ones, the less I enjoy the lesser worked models.

Don't forget guys, an afternoon with a single shot .22, a sammich and a cold Coca-Cola is truly nearly heaven. It's a fine hobby that we have chosen.

ETA: Bac I'll try and send you those BHP ser #'s after Christmas.
Thanks for being willing to look them up for me. Sorry for the drift but I don't expect to be on here very much over the next few days.

Last edited by sawgrass; 12-22-2012 at 15:27..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 19:30   #42
wingspar

Iíve had my Taurus PT 1911 just a little less than two months with just around 700 rounds thru it and 3 pairs of grips. Iíve had zero failures. I picked it up OTD for $615. Springfield was my first choice, but no where around here to look at one, and I didnít feel like spending the amount of money they want for them. I asked a lot of questions and held the PT 1911 before I bought it, and Iím quite pleased with my decision.

Read this sticky from the Taurus forum on the Miami factory tour two mods made. It is quite long with lots of photos and good documentary and worth the read.
Old 12-22-2012, 19:46   #43
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post

ETA: Bac I'll try and send you those BHP ser #'s after Christmas.
Thanks for being willing to look them up for me. Sorry for the drift but I don't expect to be on here very much over the next few days.
No problem, SG. Enjoy your holiday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 19:47   #44
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Yeah, that one is a great value. Why pay $2500 for a Wilson when you can get a Taurus for a fifth of the price with the same features?
Wilson doesn't come with bling bling gold controls!
Old 12-22-2012, 20:34   #45
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
Wilson doesn't come with bling bling gold controls!
Very true

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-22-2012, 21:20   #46
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I bought a PT1911 when they first came out for under $400, but it wasn't a good value in the slightest since it was a total POS, reliability, finish and quality wise.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 21:59   #47
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Iíve had my Taurus PT 1911 just a little less than two months with just around 700 rounds thru it and 3 pairs of grips. Iíve had zero failures. I picked it up OTD for $615. Springfield was my first choice, but no where around here to look at one, and I didnít feel like spending the amount of money they want for them. I asked a lot of questions and held the PT 1911 before I bought it, and Iím quite pleased with my decision.

Read this sticky from the Taurus forum on the Miami factory tour two mods made. It is quite long with lots of photos and good documentary and worth the read.
They seem to be hit or miss, a trait common to a number of Taurus semi autos. Alot of the abuse the PT1911 takes is from the ads they ran portraying it as a $1000+ gun for $500. They just were not accurate.

I liked the Para 1911s I owned, most on here do not care for that brand at all either.

This sub forum is not really a brand snob forum 95% of the time, now the Black Rifle Forum.....well that is a different story
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 22:58   #48
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
I bought a PT1911 when they first came out for under $400, but it wasn't a good value in the slightest since it was a total POS, reliability, finish and quality wise.
Yeah, some were really bad.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:15   #49
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
The truth is ... the more I shoot the smooth ones, the less I enjoy the lesser worked models.
Bingo.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51   #50
ca survivor

Quote:
The only thing Springfield's entry level 1911s and the Taurus have in common is their country of origin.

One is a high quality gun built from great IMBEL forgings and the other is a POS marketing gimmick.

I'm not sure why people compare them.
Agreed with you Sir. 100%
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04   #51
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Yeah, that one is a great value. Why pay $2500 for a Wilson when you can get a Taurus for a fifth of the price with the same features?
Then again, needing some other guy to build and improve your 1911 is like having a custom hot rod or chopper that some other guy built and not knowing how to fix it. Traditionally, the pride is in making it, not just owning it.

I'd take more pride in a Taurus that I turned into a great gun than in a Wilson I took out of a box.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 20:09   #52
SFW

I have a PT1911 that I've had for six years now. I have close to 10k rounds through it. It has never had a single issue. Would I like a nice 1911 at some point? Sure. But I'm happy to shoot this one until it doesn't run anymore.
Old 12-25-2012, 14:20   #53
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Then again, needing some other guy to build and improve your 1911 is like having a custom hot rod or chopper that some other guy built and not knowing how to fix it. Traditionally, the pride is in making it, not just owning it.

I'd take more pride in a Taurus that I turned into a great gun than in a Wilson I took out of a box.

I wouldn't spend a dime trying to turn a Taurus into a great gun, but to each their own.

Sorry, but I'd take more pride in the Wilson. If you want a base gun to customize, you start with a Colt, not a Taurus. You don't sink money into a Taurus.

Last edited by bac1023; 12-25-2012 at 14:34..
Old 12-25-2012, 14:34   #54
SFW

So why exactly do we need to have a who's dick is bigger debate every time a new thread starts? Some people like Colts or Wilsons or maybe even Taurus. Does it really matter what logo is stamped on the slide as long as the owner is happy with his/her purchase? I have a Colt and I also have a Taurus. Both shoot great. Neither has had a single issue. My PT1911 is my goto hunting side arm. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang, and I don't worry about scuffing it up. They are tools. Nothing more.
Old 12-25-2012, 14:53   #55
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

Yeah, I'll take owning a Ferrari over a hopped up Kia any day of the week. Don't care who built either.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 14:55   #56
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
So why exactly do we need to have a who's dick is bigger debate every time a new thread starts? Some people like Colts or Wilsons or maybe even Taurus. Does it really matter what logo is stamped on the slide as long as the owner is happy with his/her purchase? I have a Colt and I also have a Taurus. Both shoot great. Neither has had a single issue. My PT1911 is my goto hunting side arm. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang, and I don't worry about scuffing it up. They are tools. Nothing more.
Speaking for myself it's not about that. It's about which tools fail by far and large and which don't. Glad yours works though.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:08   #57
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
That's cool, merry Christmas to you as well.

I was simply responding to a poster that quoted me and said he would take more pride in fixing up a Taurus and owning a Wilson. To each their own.

What I said was that's its foolish, in my opinion, to sink money into a Taurus. If you have one and it works great, consider yourself lucky and go on, much as you did. Unless you're just doing some cosmetic improvements like new grips or putting on a better set of sights for improved shooting, why the hell would you sink your hard earned into something that will never be worth more than a used Taurus?

Seriously, why would anyone waste time and money swapping out parts on their PT1911? It will never have the slide and frame fitting that a high end 1911 has and to try and remedy that would really be nuts. The whole concept is ridiculous and I'm sure most would agree.

Quite frankly, I don't give two damns who agrees with me and who doesn't. I never have and probably never will.

Other than a crappy ambi safety, my Taurus 1911 has never malfunctioned. However, I don't like Taurus' marketing nonsense and the way they rigged out their 1911 so cheaply just to include features. For instance, I'd take a smooth front strap over that chicken scratch they call checkering any day.

I'm all for the lower end 1911s. I have many and like them all. I'm not stuck on just shooting $2000+ models. I own several under $500 and a couple under $400, so if people still want to think of me as a 1911 snob, so be it. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Last edited by bac1023; 12-25-2012 at 15:13..
Old 12-25-2012, 15:12   #58
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Yeah, I'll take owning a Ferrari over a hopped up Kia any day of the week. Don't care who built either.
Yeah, exactly.

That post was ridiculous. I'm glad people have good working Taurus 1911s. Mine has never had a firing malfunction either. However, to sink money into one just seems silly.

I'd take more pride in owning a stock Ferrari than I would a hopped up Hyundai, whether I did the work myself or not.

...and, by the way, I drive a Hyundai every day. Good cars, but certainly not something you sink money into to customize.

Old 12-25-2012, 15:18   #59
cciman

Can the snobbery not end? How much of this is handed down perception vs. true 1st hand experience-- lotsa testimonials, but very few reasons. I own both SA and Taurus, as well as a Colt, Kimber, Sig. To tell you the truth, looking beyond the brand stamped on the frame, the "quality" "fit/finish" of the "Brand" is not worth the >50% price markup over the Taurus, to me, since they function the same. That's just me.

That is the whole point of this-- you can get both a winner or loser with a 1911 no matter what "The Brand"... The $$Brand$$ can have it losers too, as well as the inexpensive brand-- so you have holding in your hand an expensive loser or a cheap loser.

I think this is where many people throw up their hands, go for a $500 polymer gun.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:22   #60
SFW

BAC, I wasn't trying to slam anyone. So sorry if you took it that way. And I hope you are having a Merry Christmas. I just get tired of the my gun is better than yours threads that often happen in the 1911 and AR world. Far too many times we tend to tell people that they have subpar guns without explaining the reasons for that belief. My Cold is a safe queen. Mainly because it is a 1913 production that belonged to my grandfather. It is an excellent example of everything done right on a fine platform. I do cherish the times it does make it to the range. Are there better 1911s than the PT? Sure. But for the money I paid, about $500 out the door, you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun.

Last edited by SFW; 12-25-2012 at 15:24..
SFW is offline   Reply With Quote