Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04   #51
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, that one is a great value. Why pay $2500 for a Wilson when you can get a Taurus for a fifth of the price with the same features?
Then again, needing some other guy to build and improve your 1911 is like having a custom hot rod or chopper that some other guy built and not knowing how to fix it. Traditionally, the pride is in making it, not just owning it.

I'd take more pride in a Taurus that I turned into a great gun than in a Wilson I took out of a box.
Old 12-24-2012, 19:09   #52
SFW

I have a PT1911 that I've had for six years now. I have close to 10k rounds through it. It has never had a single issue. Would I like a nice 1911 at some point? Sure. But I'm happy to shoot this one until it doesn't run anymore.
Old 12-25-2012, 13:20   #53
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Then again, needing some other guy to build and improve your 1911 is like having a custom hot rod or chopper that some other guy built and not knowing how to fix it. Traditionally, the pride is in making it, not just owning it.

I'd take more pride in a Taurus that I turned into a great gun than in a Wilson I took out of a box.

I wouldn't spend a dime trying to turn a Taurus into a great gun, but to each their own.

Sorry, but I'd take more pride in the Wilson. If you want a base gun to customize, you start with a Colt, not a Taurus. You don't sink money into a Taurus.

1911 Buyer's Guide

Last edited by bac1023; 12-25-2012 at 13:34..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:34   #54
SFW

So why exactly do we need to have a who's dick is bigger debate every time a new thread starts? Some people like Colts or Wilsons or maybe even Taurus. Does it really matter what logo is stamped on the slide as long as the owner is happy with his/her purchase? I have a Colt and I also have a Taurus. Both shoot great. Neither has had a single issue. My PT1911 is my goto hunting side arm. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang, and I don't worry about scuffing it up. They are tools. Nothing more.
Old 12-25-2012, 13:53   #55
MD357

Quote:

Yeah, I'll take owning a Ferrari over a hopped up Kia any day of the week. Don't care who built either.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 13:55   #56
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
So why exactly do we need to have a who's dick is bigger debate every time a new thread starts? Some people like Colts or Wilsons or maybe even Taurus. Does it really matter what logo is stamped on the slide as long as the owner is happy with his/her purchase? I have a Colt and I also have a Taurus. Both shoot great. Neither has had a single issue. My PT1911 is my goto hunting side arm. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang, and I don't worry about scuffing it up. They are tools. Nothing more.
Speaking for myself it's not about that. It's about which tools fail by far and large and which don't. Glad yours works though.
Old 12-25-2012, 14:08   #57
bac1023

Quote:
That's cool, merry Christmas to you as well.

I was simply responding to a poster that quoted me and said he would take more pride in fixing up a Taurus and owning a Wilson. To each their own.

What I said was that's its foolish, in my opinion, to sink money into a Taurus. If you have one and it works great, consider yourself lucky and go on, much as you did. Unless you're just doing some cosmetic improvements like new grips or putting on a better set of sights for improved shooting, why the hell would you sink your hard earned into something that will never be worth more than a used Taurus?

Seriously, why would anyone waste time and money swapping out parts on their PT1911? It will never have the slide and frame fitting that a high end 1911 has and to try and remedy that would really be nuts. The whole concept is ridiculous and I'm sure most would agree.

Quite frankly, I don't give two damns who agrees with me and who doesn't. I never have and probably never will.

Other than a crappy ambi safety, my Taurus 1911 has never malfunctioned. However, I don't like Taurus' marketing nonsense and the way they rigged out their 1911 so cheaply just to include features. For instance, I'd take a smooth front strap over that chicken scratch they call checkering any day.

I'm all for the lower end 1911s. I have many and like them all. I'm not stuck on just shooting $2000+ models. I own several under $500 and a couple under $400, so if people still want to think of me as a 1911 snob, so be it. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

1911 Buyer's Guide

Last edited by bac1023; 12-25-2012 at 14:13..
Old 12-25-2012, 14:12   #58
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Yeah, I'll take owning a Ferrari over a hopped up Kia any day of the week. Don't care who built either.
Yeah, exactly.

That post was ridiculous. I'm glad people have good working Taurus 1911s. Mine has never had a firing malfunction either. However, to sink money into one just seems silly.

I'd take more pride in owning a stock Ferrari than I would a hopped up Hyundai, whether I did the work myself or not.

...and, by the way, I drive a Hyundai every day. Good cars, but certainly not something you sink money into to customize.

1911 Buyer's Guide
Old 12-25-2012, 14:18   #59
cciman

Can the snobbery not end? How much of this is handed down perception vs. true 1st hand experience-- lotsa testimonials, but very few reasons. I own both SA and Taurus, as well as a Colt, Kimber, Sig. To tell you the truth, looking beyond the brand stamped on the frame, the "quality" "fit/finish" of the "Brand" is not worth the >50% price markup over the Taurus, to me, since they function the same. That's just me.

That is the whole point of this-- you can get both a winner or loser with a 1911 no matter what "The Brand"... The $$Brand$$ can have it losers too, as well as the inexpensive brand-- so you have holding in your hand an expensive loser or a cheap loser.

I think this is where many people throw up their hands, go for a $500 polymer gun.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 14:22   #60
SFW

BAC, I wasn't trying to slam anyone. So sorry if you took it that way. And I hope you are having a Merry Christmas. I just get tired of the my gun is better than yours threads that often happen in the 1911 and AR world. Far too many times we tend to tell people that they have subpar guns without explaining the reasons for that belief. My Cold is a safe queen. Mainly because it is a 1913 production that belonged to my grandfather. It is an excellent example of everything done right on a fine platform. I do cherish the times it does make it to the range. Are there better 1911s than the PT? Sure. But for the money I paid, about $500 out the door, you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun.

Last edited by SFW; 12-25-2012 at 14:24..
SFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:07   #61
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Unless that hopped up Kia whoops your ass on a race course. Then it'd be awkward...
Old 12-25-2012, 15:28   #62
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Unless that hopped up Kia whoops your ass on a race course. Then it'd be awkward...
True, there are exceptions but I'll play the odds.
Old 12-25-2012, 15:30   #63
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
True, there are exceptions but I'll play the odds.
Old 12-25-2012, 15:32   #64
KennyFSU
What to wear...

^ Hahaha, love that scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 15:54   #65
bac1023

Quote:
BAC, I wasn't trying to slam anyone. So sorry if you took it that way. And I hope you are having a Merry Christmas. I just get tired of the my gun is better than yours threads that often happen in the 1911 and AR world. Far too many times we tend to tell people that they have subpar guns without explaining the reasons for that belief. My Cold is a safe queen. Mainly because it is a 1913 production that belonged to my grandfather. It is an excellent example of everything done right on a fine platform. I do cherish the times it does make it to the range. Are there better 1911s than the PT? Sure. But for the money I paid, about $500 out the door, you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun.
I certainly respect your opinion. I personally find the Filipino 1911s to be better values, but that's just my opinion.

Like I said, it's good you have a very reliable Taurus.

1911 Buyer's Guide
Old 12-25-2012, 20:32   #66
MD357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

FWIW, I'd rather have her in the passenger seat than Vin Diesel... but hey..... different strokes....
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09   #67
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
No, not at all. A lot of folk bash the PT-1911 but for a sub $400 1911 it will function fine with a forged frame & slide and not let you down.
Unless you shear the lugs off teh barrel or other malady due to a poorly fitted barrel , then send it back and have a go around for 6 months with custimer service on using "hot loads"..
This happened to one of our officers.. I would say no ..to a taurii...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41   #68
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Unless you shear the lugs off teh barrel or other malady due to a poorly fitted barrel , then send it back and have a go around for 6 months with custimer service on using "hot loads"..
This happened to one of our officers.. I would say no ..to a taurii...
Inconsistency has always been Taurus' biggest issue.

1911 Buyer's Guide
Old 12-26-2012, 22:48   #69
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Unless you shear the lugs off teh barrel or other malady due to a poorly fitted barrel , then send it back and have a go around for 6 months with customer service on using "hot loads"..
This happened to one of our officers..

I would avoid 'hot loads' in the first place and if need be fit a new barrel. I don't need any warranty service for any of my 1911s
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53   #70
joecoastie

Quote:
That happens with successful products.
The Twilight movies were successful, doesn't make them good movies.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39   #71
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

They were 'good' to a lot of other people though.

BTW- That's prolly the stupidest analogy I've ever seen on GT, congrats. Dude, you can bash the PT-1911 better than that!
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00   #72
fuzzy03cls

My GI is dated 05 & was still a US made gun. Reason for not selling it.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23   #73
hooligan74

Quote:
I would avoid 'hot loads' in the first place and if need be fit a new barrel. I don't need any warranty service for any of my 1911s

I interpreted the quotes around "hot loads" as in Taurus accused him of using hot loads, even though he hadn't, as an excuse to try and not cover the repair under warranty.

I could be way off the mark, however.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39   #74
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:

So you ride a bling-bling Honda & not a Harley?

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 12-27-2012 at 09:40..
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42   #75
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
My GI is dated 05 & was still a US made gun. Reason for not selling it.
Just a spoiler,.........it IS a Brazillian made GI.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote