GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 14:05   #1
Deriffe
Senior Member
 
Deriffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 213
Traded a headache away this weekend

Traded my STI Guardian for a new Springfield Armory Micro Compact 1911 .45acp. Had so much trouble with the STI, I just couldn't trust it for carry. The Springfield runs like a champ and is even easier to conceal than the STI was. It's my third Springfield and all are fantastic. The paddle holster that came with the standard Springfield kit is perfect for concealed carry (for me at least).
__________________
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

NRA Life Member
Glock Armorer
Glock Instructor
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:14   #2
Jim Watson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,667
What does the new owner plan to do about your problems?
__________________
I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.
Jim Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:22   #3
Ocean_glocker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
What does the new owner plan to do about your problems?
They're his problems now...


PICS!
__________________
-VJ
XD-S 9
Gen 4 19
GSSF Member, F&AM

Last edited by Ocean_glocker; 11-14-2012 at 14:22..
Ocean_glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:25   #4
Jim Watson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,667
Internet Ethics, huh?
__________________
I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.
Jim Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:39   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,960
Wow,........Micro Compacts are generally a PITA to keep running.
Hope Lady Karma doesn't lash out and bite ya in the arse when you least expect it!

If it happens,.......you've only yourself to blame!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 15:46   #6
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Were the problems disclosed before the trade?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 15:59   #7
Spiffums
I.C.P.
 
Spiffums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,108
I thought it was common knowledge that micro 1911s don't run. Anything less under 5 inches is problematic.
__________________
Internet Celebrity Personality
Spiffums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 16:24   #8
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo
 
Three-Five-Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,240
Why do guys insist on trying to make these bastardized guns work.

Get a Glock, for heavens sake.
__________________
That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)
Three-Five-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:44   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,054
I had a STI Ranger II and it went back to STI twice for the same problem that was never resolved. It would FTF the 6th round of every magazine. STI loads their test mags to 5 rounds and it would come back saying it functions fine--they shot 10 magazines through it. None were loaded past 5 rounds. The dealer that sold it to me took it back and allowed me to buy something else with a full credit on the STI.

Now my Sig 1911 and SA 1911 and even my Kimber SIS Pro have been flawless except for the small batch of bad primers I had with some of my reloads. Not the guns fault.
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:36   #10
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Get a Glock, for heavens sake.
Yeah, they work great these days...
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:51   #11
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that micro 1911s don't run. Anything less under 5 inches is problematic.
I used to think that, but the record of the Commander caused me to rethink it.

Then i got a Kimber compact (because I couldn't find a Star PD for love or money) even with lots of ammo through it without a bobble I was still sure a shorter one wouldn't work.

Then my wife brought home a Kimber URII and I chewed her out because I knew it couldn't work. she went right out the door stepped up to our firing range and fired mag after mag.

I threw my crystal ball away.

(I still think hers is the exception)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 21:28   #12
Smokin45
Senior Member
 
Smokin45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deriffe View Post
Traded my STI Guardian for a new Springfield Armory Micro Compact 1911 .45acp. Had so much trouble with the STI, I just couldn't trust it for carry. The Springfield runs like a champ and is even easier to conceal than the STI was. It's my third Springfield and all are fantastic. The paddle holster that came with the standard Springfield kit is perfect for concealed carry (for me at least).
Did you tell the new owner it was a turd? Im guessing not...

Lady Karma might be paying you a visit when you least expect her...
Smokin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 21:35   #13
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,341
I don't care much for small 1911s, but they have come a long way over the last 10 years or so.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 21:46   #14
RGbiker
Senior Member
 
RGbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Why do guys insist on trying to make these bastardized guns work.

Get a Glock, for heavens sake.
Or a SA XDs in .45acp. About same size as G26.
__________________
If Obama is the answer, then how stupid was the question?
RGbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post

Get a Glock, for heavens sake.
Those Gen 4 models are great, with all that brass bouncing off your face & all!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48   #16
Deriffe
Senior Member
 
Deriffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
What does the new owner plan to do about your problems?
I traded it BACK to the same gun store I purchased it from. I bought THEIR problem, they now have it back. This is the same gun store I took the "turd" back too for warranty repairs to try to fix it so yes, they were fully aware of the situation and STILL gave me a good trade in for it. Apparently, the fact that I have purchased multiple firearms and accessories from this shop ensured they wanted to go the extra mile to keep me happy, and I am VERY happy with my micro compact. It works and after 4 boxes of ammo, not one single piece of brass to my face.

Nice that the haters automatically assumed I was a P.O.S. Karma is a two way street dipstick.
__________________
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

NRA Life Member
Glock Armorer
Glock Instructor

Last edited by Deriffe; 11-15-2012 at 06:52..
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15   #17
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deriffe View Post
I traded it BACK to the same gun store I purchased it from. I bought THEIR problem, they now have it back. This is the same gun store I took the "turd" back too for warranty repairs to try to fix it so yes, they were fully aware of the situation and STILL gave me a good trade in for it. Apparently, the fact that I have purchased multiple firearms and accessories from this shop ensured they wanted to go the extra mile to keep me happy, and I am VERY happy with my micro compact. It works and after 4 boxes of ammo, not one single piece of brass to my face.

Nice that the haters automatically assumed I was a P.O.S. Karma is a two way street dipstick.
Your original post makes you sound like a POS. Learn to tell the whole story the first time so you don't sound like a dipstick.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36   #18
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,341
It was an easy assumption since you only told half the story.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deriffe View Post
.....

Nice that the haters automatically assumed I was a P.O.S. Karma is a two way street dipstick.
Take a step back & read your first post.......common sense.
Sad that you can not see that.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28   #20
sns3guppy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,766
Quote:
Your original post makes you sound like a POS. Learn to tell the whole story the first time so you don't sound like a dipstick.
His original post simply says he traded the firearm. He didn't provide details.

You did that when you made assumptions about what the original poster said.

I read his post and saw his intent: he wasn't posting about the trade arrangements. He was posting about the improvement in the new firearm over the old.

Lots of posters quick to assume the worst. Interesting.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37   #21
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze
 
Clutch Cargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that micro 1911s don't run. Anything less under 5 inches is problematic.
Never had an issue with Commander/Champion length (4-4.25") pistols. Micro size pistols are realitively new, while the 4" models are time-proven.
__________________
GTDS
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39   #22
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze
 
Clutch Cargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Why do guys insist on trying to make these bastardized guns work.

Get a Glock, for heavens sake.
The 1911 platform has 100 years of proven reliability. All machines are subject to having a lemon now and then.
__________________
GTDS
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06   #23
Deriffe
Senior Member
 
Deriffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
The 1911 platform has 100 years of proven reliability. All machines are subject to having a lemon now and then.
Absolutely, in addition to 6 Glocks, I now have 4 1911's and love them. I just have zero patience for problems with one I paid so much for. For the price of that STI, I expected it to be flawless. It wasn't. I replaced it. The micro has thus far been flawless.
__________________
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

NRA Life Member
Glock Armorer
Glock Instructor
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12   #24
ArmoryDoc
Need a haircut
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
His original post simply says he traded the firearm. He didn't provide details.

You did that when you made assumptions about what the original poster said.

I read his post and saw his intent: he wasn't posting about the trade arrangements. He was posting about the improvement in the new firearm over the old.

Lots of posters quick to assume the worst. Interesting.
This place is really bad about making assumptions with a greater-than-thou attitude.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57   #25
Jim Watson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,667
I am glad the OP dumped his problem back on the dealer who knew what the score was.
Hmm. Wonder what the DEALER did with it?

I think the manufacturer should get one chance to rectify a problem under warranty.
If they can't fix it, turn it over to a real gunsmith.
And let the world know about it. I would not run down the maker without giving him that one chance, but that is all he would get.

Or, as is common, "get rid of it." Hopefully to somebody who knows what he is getting and is willing to deal with it.
__________________
I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.
Jim Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 844
269 Members
575 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42