Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:53   #1
Longhammer

Enfield on steroids?

I have a 30-06 Enfield with a 25" inch barrel. I was told that I could safely bore that barrel out to .375 H&H and have a rifle capable of hunting any animal on earth. My question is, could I make a .416 Rem Mag out of that same barrel and action for about the same price? I heard the requirements for calibers are going up beyond .375 in some parts of the world for dangerous game. Not that I plan to go to africa any time soon. It would just be nice to know that I could with that rifle if I choose to later on. ( If I win the lottery).
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42   #2
Jim Watson

The 1917 GI barrel has a good deal of taper, reboring it to .375 or .416 would make it pretty thin and light. I don't know if it would be dangerously thin, but it would make up into a relatively light weight big magnum with a lot of kick and funny balance.

Also, a quality rebore would cost about as much as a new barrel; $425 at Clearwater. Or are you going to do the work yourself "I could safely rebore that barrel..."?
Old 12-19-2012, 15:49   #3
MG-70

Assuming it's a military rifle in original configuration or easily returned to original configuration, you're probably better off selling it to a collector with a C&R Type 03 FFL (of which there are many and you can ship to them directly or transfer face to face), adding a little money, and buying something more suited to your needs, like the classic Ruger No.1 or CZ bolt action in your caliber of choice. Well, realistically, you won't have that need until you win the lottery, so maybe you're better off selling what you have and buying something you can shoot in the meantime...good luck!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.
MG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49   #4
Longhammer

I won't be doing the reboring myself. I thank both of you for your insights. I wondered if there were a reason why I hadn't heard of more people modifying these old rifles. I never considered the balance and recoil, I still want to follow through with this though, whichever caliber.. I was quoted at around $500.00 bucks for the boring and minimal reworking of the reciever for .375 H&H. I probably ought to jump on that. The stock has been chopped and will need to be upgraded. So I won't be destroying a nice piece of history. Who knows, If it does have enough metal to bore out to .416, It might be a little easier to lug around. The thing must weigh about 12 lbs.
Old 12-27-2012, 20:32   #5
NicholsT55

Send a message via Yahoo to NicholsT55
I have a 1917 U.S. Enfield rebarreled to .458 Lott; it had already been visited by Bubba when I bought it, so I wasn't butchering a collectible milsurp. That said, you would be time and money ahead to simply buy a commercial rifle chambered for the cartridge that you desire. Fifty to sixty years ago, any gunsmith worthy of the name was familiar with the work that goes into 'sporterizing' one of these rifles. That is no longer true, and parts are also no longer readily available.
Top Gun .357 Sig Club Member #55
Official M1911 Club Member #21
FALaholic #55
NicholsT55 is offline   Reply With Quote