SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 18:48   #1
mrmike7189

Glock 26 vs. Kahr PM9?

I have a glock 26 that i carry in a bianchi leather belt slide holster and i love it...but its too big to carry IWB or pocket .
So i looked at the PM9 the other day. it is smaller than the Glock, by a little, not much, it weighs less, because it only holds 6 rounds of 9mm, it looks like a copy of my G26.
The kahr arms co. says it needs a 200 round break in period, plus it costs 700 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!Ouch.....I think i paid 500 bucks for my glock 26.... i'm keeping the Glock!
PC4 40S&W
Mini-14 223/5.56 NATO
Old 12-18-2012, 19:01   #2
JBP55

The PM/CM9 Kahr is much smaller and much thinner than a G26 and the CM9 is about $400.
I have owned a few Kahr's and currently own several and never had any break in issues with them. I am not getting rid of my Glocks either.
Old 12-18-2012, 19:18   #3
cciman

6 or 10, make your personal choice. You cannot have both size and capacity.
Old 12-18-2012, 19:32   #4
HOTHEAD

I would say the pm/cm carry like ½ the glock. There is a considerable difference.
Old 12-18-2012, 19:35   #5
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Definite size difference. It's about the same height as the G26, but it's thinner, and shorter back to front and lighter. The CM9 is the same pistol, more or less, for $375 and fits into my jean pockets easily.

Break in period is nonsense too. Clean it, lube it and quickly hand rack the slide a few hundred times to loosen up the factory tightness a bit and you're good to go.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 12-18-2012 at 19:38..
Old 12-18-2012, 21:35   #6
LampShadeActual

Mike,

I have a M26 that I shoot well and like, but it is a chunky monkey in my pocket. So I usually end up with my S&W M&P340 .357 in a pocket for light clothing use.

Last late winter I decided to get a Kahr CW9. I worked on it, had it fixed, tried this and that, and finally gave up when it started flexing its plastic frame and dropping magazines.

Too much waste to repeat the typing, but if you go to this URL you will get the flavor. It was like a KelTec. A kit gun that the owner had to finish for any hope of correct function. The frame flexing and dropping mags was the final end.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_35/12...ent_there.html

I don't doubt that the metal frame ones were somewhat better, but the plastic framed ones are stinkers.

I got tired of writing it up at the ar15.com forum, but after that thread stops, the gun started dropping its mags. Kahr sent me a new spring and a new mag catch and a couple other little parts. It did it anyhow.

I took the slide off. I stripped a mag down to the empty tube. That way you could see what was going on with the catch and mag looking down the top. If the mag body turned one way, the catch went through inside of the tube. If the mag body turned the other way in the frame, the catch tip hung on about half the thickness of the mag wall. When it fired and flexed, there was so little engagement, good by magazine, sometimes.

The ammo for testing cost more than the gun. And it was never trustable. The Kahr just got thrown into the GD mistake pile and is useless since I would never trust it even after having it fixed yet again.

Gaston rules. Or at least my Smith Scandium .357. On either I would bet my axx.

Last edited by LampShadeActual; 12-18-2012 at 21:51..
Old 12-18-2012, 22:02   #7
Dooger

I have both and the PM9 is much easier to conceal and less weight. It's a different gun altogether though...
Old 12-18-2012, 23:18   #8
High Altitude

I had a CW9.

Never had any issues with it, but could never get use to the trigger. I did not like the long reset. I constantly short stroked it.

Replaced it with a M&P Shield. It's a keeper.
Old 12-18-2012, 23:34   #9
Patchman
Florist

I'd have to also agree the Kahr's thiness makes a considerable difference.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Old 12-18-2012, 23:42   #10
ksmedman

I have a CM9, it is considerably smaller than a G26/27. It's a pocket gun for me. Carrying it IWB is almost a joke.
It holds 6+1 with standard mags. I carry an 8 rounder for reload. I do use a pinkie extension on my 6 rounder, I don't like the dangling pinkie. Though I guess I should get used to it.

It's smaller than a J-frame, and 7 x 9mm > 5 x 38spl. I do have and carry an Airweight sometimes though, not bashing them. It has been every bit as reliable as my Smith, or my Glock for that matter.

It's accurate, easy to shoot, and has surprisingly manageable recoil in a gun basically the size of most 380's. Decent trigger, too.
I put Talon grips on mine (my wife has them on her CW9 also). It doesn't really add any bulk, but stops the gun from slipping around if your hands get sweaty/wet, etc...

They are great little guns, they do a great job filling a needed niche - pocket gun in full size caliber.

Last edited by ksmedman; 12-18-2012 at 23:45..
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50   #11
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I own three Kahr pistols and have never had an issue with them I currently own a PM9 a P40 and a CW9. The PM9 is the oldest and has more than 1500 rounds through it. Never a hiccup even when new.

I bought the P40 from a guy who didn't trust the gun because the slide started locking back on him. He said it shot great at first but after a few range sessions the slide would lock back and wouldn't stay open on an empty magazine. I showed him how he bent the slide lock spring probably during an improper reassembly. But he wanted nothing to do with it and I got it for a song. Ordered a new spring from Kahr for $6 and the thing has run like a champ ever since. Bought the new CW9 last week from a guy who said it wouldn't run for him. I've got 300 rounds of WWB, Win HST and some Ranger T +P through it and its been perfect.

Small semi-auto handguns require perfect technique to run reliably. Your grip is important and its REALLY easy to screw up with the things as they run on the edge of reliability as it is. Thats just the nature of the ultra compact autos. I'm firmly convinced tha a lot of people--even really experienced people--simply cannot run these guns. And that's understandable and not a dig on those folks at all. But they work for me and I've taken "unreliable" Kahr's off people's hands who had problems and have run the snot out of them without a hiccup. But for the life of me I can't get a SIG 238 to run worth a crap? Who knows.

I bought a used G19 that had issues with the mag release, slide locking back etc. It was a combination of really worn magazines and a worn mag catch. Glock fixed both and the gun runs great since.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08   #12
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

two different birds.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:21   #13
LampShadeActual

Small semi-auto handguns require perfect technique to run reliably. Your grip is important and its REALLY easy to screw up with the things as they run on the edge of reliability as it is. Thats just the nature of the ultra compact autos. I'm firmly convinced tha a lot of people--even really experienced people--simply cannot run these guns. And that's understandable and not a dig on those folks at all.

While I understand your point and don't really wish to argue it, I don't agree. My experience with the CW9 was that it was well designed and poorly made/finished/fitted. The spring systems were marginal for the trigger return and hold open. The design of the trigger curve itself was poor.

If you read the series in the AR15 forum noted above, I worked through an endless collection of little shiest that made it run. The death sentence was when I realized why it occasionally dropped it magazines.

The frame magazine well was simply too big for the magazines. This is a mould casting of plastic and every one they made is the same. A sloppy fit. The sloppy fit on one hand lets the mag catch disengage if the mag is turned one way. The same sloppy fit on the other hand lets the mag catch go too deep into the mag well and catch the follower coming up when the mag turns the other way.

This is the reason for the endless failures to feed between rounds 4-3 and 3-2 left in the magazine. The remedy of course was to remove plastic from the front right corner of the followers. Really smart system.

While you could file away enough follower to make it work twisting one way, the elephant in the room was always having it twist the other way and losing your mag. They rarely dropped out. They just dropped down and the catch grabbed the outside of the mag body. Then you thought you were dumb enough to push the release.

I liked the damn CW9 in general, but it was not up to keeping my axx alive. Not ready for prime time.

Last edited by LampShadeActual; 12-19-2012 at 07:23..
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25   #14
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike7189 View Post
So i looked at the PM9 the other day. it is smaller than the Glock, by a little, not much, it weighs less, because it only holds 6 rounds of 9mm, it looks like a copy of my G26.
The kahr arms co. says it needs a 200 round break in period, plus it costs 700 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!Ouch.....I think i paid 500 bucks for my glock 26.... i'm keeping the Glock!
You my friend need to get a grip on reality. The PM/CM 9 is much smaller than a glock 26. I own both and trust me it is. The CM 9 can be had for about $100 less than a Glock 26. How you can possibly say it looks like a copy of a glock is totally beyound me. Try this. Place a PM/CM 9 on top of a glock 26, then place it on top of a XD9sc and then tell me how much it looks like a copy of a Glock. I understand you like your Glock as most fanboys do,but for the love semi auto pistols lets at least try to keep things some what real. You are talking about two completely different guns that have different uses. Other than the PM9 having a polygonal barrel and having black poly frame there is nothing about it that resembles a glock ergo or mechanical wise.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02   #15
drewski1325

I love my PM9. It goes every where with me.....because it can. I can't say that about my G27. The 27 is a good gun but the PM is so light and small compared to the 27. Visually you can tell the PM is smaller and to some it may not look "that much smaller" but when you are carrying it is a huge difference.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37   #16
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampShadeActual View Post
Small semi-auto handguns require perfect technique to run reliably. Your grip is important and its REALLY easy to screw up with the things as they run on the edge of reliability as it is. Thats just the nature of the ultra compact autos. I'm firmly convinced tha a lot of people--even really experienced people--simply cannot run these guns. And that's understandable and not a dig on those folks at all.

While I understand your point and don't really wish to argue it, I don't agree. My experience with the CW9 was that it was well designed and poorly made/finished/fitted. The spring systems were marginal for the trigger return and hold open. The design of the trigger curve itself was poor.

If you read the series in the AR15 forum noted above, I worked through an endless collection of little shiest that made it run. The death sentence was when I realized why it occasionally dropped it magazines.

The frame magazine well was simply too big for the magazines. This is a mould casting of plastic and every one they made is the same. A sloppy fit. The sloppy fit on one hand lets the mag catch disengage if the mag is turned one way. The same sloppy fit on the other hand lets the mag catch go too deep into the mag well and catch the follower coming up when the mag turns the other way.

This is the reason for the endless failures to feed between rounds 4-3 and 3-2 left in the magazine. The remedy of course was to remove plastic from the front right corner of the followers. Really smart system.

While you could file away enough follower to make it work twisting one way, the elephant in the room was always having it twist the other way and losing your mag. They rarely dropped out. They just dropped down and the catch grabbed the outside of the mag body. Then you thought you were dumb enough to push the release.

I liked the damn CW9 in general, but it was not up to keeping my axx alive. Not ready for prime time.
Well, obviously they all aren't made the same way or cast from the same mold. If they were mine would have the same problems as yours and clearly it doesn't. So my experience is 180 degrees different than yours.

I'm not saying every malfunction or problem with these small guns is a shooter problem. But I am saying a lot of them are!

Clearly...YMMV

Old 12-19-2012, 12:36   #17
JBP55

Lampshade, the Kahr pistols work for most shooters.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49   #18
LAWDOGKMS

When it's a last-ditch-save-my-ass weapon, I think the Glock is the only auto that is as close to 100% reliable as an auto can be...but if I have to go "light"...I trust my 340 PD completely..

I have just read way too many reports of problems with Keltecs, Kahr's, Diamondback's etc...to ever completely trust them to always go bang and cycle like they're supposed to..
Old 12-19-2012, 16:59   #19
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWDOGKMS View Post
When it's a last-ditch-save-my-ass weapon, I think the Glock is the only auto that is as close to 100% reliable as an auto can be...but if I have to go "light"...I trust my 340 PD completely..

I have just read way too many reports of problems with Keltecs, Kahr's, Diamondback's etc...to ever completely trust them to always go bang and cycle like they're supposed to..
Hang out In General Glocking long enough...there are normally a couple of posts a day about Glocks that malfunction.

They are machines made out of imperfect material, by flawed people, using flawed machines. All gun companies will produce a lemon.

Old 12-19-2012, 18:02   #20
steven07

I have several glocks but my PM40 is my carry gun. I lucked out & found one used but in great condition for $500. Size was a big factor in my choice & it carrys great in my talon iwb.

Closed Thread