Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2012, 15:24   #1
MudMoccasin
Cottonmouth Kid

Remington 1100 tactical or Mossy 930 SPX?

Need a darn good home defense semi. Co-workers have suggested these two above listed models and I have heard mixed critique about both. Most say the Mossberg 930 SPX has FTE issues and that the Remington 1100 is superior. I have held a 1100 at a gunshop but not the Mossy SPX. Thus far kinda leaning toward the Remington. Reliable feedback anyone? Thanks in advance.
BTW does any one know if this will or can be modified to fit a Remington 1100?: http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55
Old 09-05-2012, 17:07   #2
FLAWLS1

I owned a 930 SPX and it was a great semi-auto. Ate everything I put in it. I don't know anything about the Remington so I can't say anything about it. I would get the SPX again! Have you looked at the Benelli M4?
FLAWLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 17:14   #3
Buffering
The Cooler

This will come across as a pissy reply but please consider it in the spirit of help and understanding.

If you can take the time to read a bunch of the threads in here you will find a lot of the info you're looking for.

I personally wouldn't use a semi for a HD because I find the pump to be a more confident manual of arms. Semi's can be and are frequently temperamental on shooting low recoil ammo, which is preferred for HD. You will see more people using a 930 for HD and rarely, if ever, an 1100.

If your mind is open to the something besides a semi, you will be best served, IMO, with a pump for HD.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus

Last edited by Buffering; 09-05-2012 at 17:17.. Reason: had more to say
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:33   #4
KenMac

930 spx

I'll add my opinion for what it's worth. I bought a 930 SPX recently and am finding it to be a fine gun. It has FTE 2 low brass rounds out of the first 120 or so. No problems with any high brass at all. Loading and unloading is as simple as it gets and very intuitive. I'm not a pump guy. Very much prefer auto loaders. I'd buy another 930 if the need arises. Good luck with whatever your choice turns out to be.
Ken
KenMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 20:25   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Cant speak on the 930 but our SWAT team carried 1100 tacs in the day and our Sheriff's office still carries them. They cycle fine with 00buck and slugs but not with field loads, so you have to practice with the duty load you plan to carry.

I myself carry a pump and prefer them for SD.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40   #6
srt-4_jon

For those that prefer pumps vs autos, do you only carry revolvers as well?
srt-4_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52   #7
itstime

Me. I would look harder at pumps.

Of the two listed. 930. I love mine but still use the pumps for HD.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member

While I am a BIG Remington 1100 fan (own two of 'em!), I think for a HD/SD shotgun, you will be much better served with a Remington 870.
(Read Perry's post - #3, again. Read and heed.)

No, I'm not a police officer. No I am not a professional shooter. No, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night.

I have shot more shotguns over the years, than you'll ever believe.

I've currently got seven (yes, 7) Remington 870s, and have never had a problem with any of 'em!!!!!!!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 09-07-2012 at 08:59..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09   #9
BuzznRose

Both are great guns as is the Benelli. Buy the one you like after researching and locating the add-ons you want.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."
-- John Wayne
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46   #10
MudMoccasin
Cottonmouth Kid

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Guess a pump seems the best route to go for home defense. Ever since I saw "Hard Target" starring JCVD I had an admiration for MarineCoat shotguns. So I will see if I like an 870 Marine Magnum (and yes I've been told that they stick out like a sore thumb by everyone).
Old 09-07-2012, 13:23   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMoccasin View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone!!
Remember, there are OPINIONS on both sides of the pump vs semi-auto discussion. Short stroking a pump doesn't work out too well. Some semis are better than others. Some people practice with their shotguns and some don't.

I have had an 870 Police shotgun for about 30 years. Last year I bought a Benelli M4 and another 870 Tactical. I prefer the M4. It is wicked fast and it never misses a beat. I can shoot the 870s just as well. But I practice a bit...

If you are going to practice, the pump gun will work fine. If not, maybe the semiauto is a better deal. Maybe not...

Remember, the US Marines changed to the M4. There may have been a reason. But what do they know? They just ordered a batch of 1911s in .45 ACP. Are they nuts? Uh, no...

Richard
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07   #12
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

My 930 SPX works well and I'm very happy with it. Cycles low brass just fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49   #13
Foxtrotx1

Take a look at the new versa max tactical. Supposedly runs everything load you can think of.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:02   #14
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_jon View Post
good point
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48   #15
Dan_the_man

The gas system on the semi's, especially the 1100, is what makes the pump superior. They clog up frequently and you have to unclog the gas ports more often then I'd like. For HD this is unacceptable. Semi's also do not like light rounds which is also unacceptable. A pump will feed any shell on earth and do it forever.

With all that being said if it has to be a semi and has to be between those two, I'd go 1100 without question. However some do not like the cross bolt safety on the Remington's and prefer the thumb safety on top of the receiver that the Mossberg has.

FWIW, the Marines did switch to an autoloader however, the Benelli M4 is piston driven which eliminates the gas port issue that the auto's in question operate with.

Dan
Dan_the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42   #16
SevenSlugs

930 all day........GREAT shotgun......and you can ghost load it for an extra round.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
SevenSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35   #17
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
The gas system on the semi's, especially the 1100, is what makes the pump superior. They clog up frequently and you have to unclog the gas ports more often then I'd like. For HD this is unacceptable. Semi's also do not like light rounds which is also unacceptable. A pump will feed any shell on earth and do it forever.
Yes, the 1100 will require maintenance from time to time. I don't know if they still have that o-ring that used to be a problem. But both of those issues just don't come up if the shotgun is used for limited practice and HD. There just aren't enough rounds through the gun to require maintenance.

Now, the competitive shooter will have to do maintenance more often. But they will anyway...

Worst case, clean the port and replace the o-ring every year. I don't recall that my 1100s ever required maintenance more often.
Quote:

With all that being said if it has to be a semi and has to be between those two, I'd go 1100 without question. However some do not like the cross bolt safety on the Remington's and prefer the thumb safety on top of the receiver that the Mossberg has.
I like the cross bolt safety! I just push it off with the middle knuckle as I place my finger on the trigger. It's kind of automatic. I wouldn't want to move my thumb from around the grip up to the top to deactivate the safety.

Again, just opinions... Both systems work.

Quote:
FWIW, the Marines did switch to an autoloader however, the Benelli M4 is piston driven which eliminates the gas port issue that the auto's in question operate with.

Dan
And also the problem of light versus heavy ammo. My M4 works well with target loads. It does need to be shouldered properly with the really light stuff but not with buckshot loads.

There is no specific maintenance recommendations for the M4. Shoot it forever. I'm just running a bore snake through mine.

Apparently, the motion of the M4 pistons is such that they are self-cleaning.

The only problem with the M4 is the price.

Richard
Old 09-08-2012, 21:16   #18
mixflip

I can only speak of my own experience as an owner of a Remington 1187 and a Mossberg 930SPX.

My Remington didnt cycle low brass cheap bird shot and needed new gas rings to get it running right.

My Mossberg930SPX ran flawlessly right out of the box with WalMart low brass budget ammo well past the 2000 round count.

Thats my experience. Hopefully it helps?
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 22:18   #19
F_G

I have an 1187 Police and an 870 Police. The 870 has been flawless as has my other 870 Wingmaster field guns. However as someone pointed out earlier you need to practice with them, especially under stress. It is a common occurence with people not intimately familiar with pump guns to short stroke the action when in a stressful situation. Clearance drills with the 870 are a breeze.

My 1187 has also been 100% and that is with everything I've fed it. High brass, low brass, WalMart stuff, everything. Having said that I keep my weapons clean enough to eat off of and properly lubed. Clearance drills with semis can be tricky.

I bought a 930SPX some time back and was not impressed. Wouldn't hold 7 rounds in the tube when I first got it, Mossberg sent me 5 different mag springs and they were all wrong, thankfully a member here, frankr (thanks again Frank) sent me a correct spring and it cured that issue. Forget the round count, but the plastic transfer bar holder broke, locking up the weapon. And the final straw was it just didn't shoot slugs as well as my Remingtons. Both my 870 and 1187 will keep slugs on a paper plate at 100 yards, the 930, not so much. Decent group at 50 yards, but started to open up considerably at 100. And yes I tried about every rifled slug out there. I liked the ergos, receiver mounted safety and capacity of the shotgun, but it never gave the confidence I need in a defense shotgun. Oh yeah, a couple of the rail screws on the receiver were stripped out also. Easy fix with HeliCoils, but who sends a gun out of the factory like that?

If I could only have one? It would be the 870.

Last edited by F_G; 09-08-2012 at 22:23..
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:46   #20
Kimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_jon View Post
LOL. That is just wrong, which is probably why I'm laughing.

OP, I've never run a 930, but from what I've read, they seem to be kind of hit and miss. Though for the price, that's not surprising. I have run a Benelli M1, M2, M3 and an M4 as well as a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 590. Benelli would be my first choice for an HD shotgun, far and away. Nothing wrong with the 870 or the 590, but IMHO, Benelli is in another class. They're also a lot more expensive. And if Benelli money is too high of a buy in for you, I would give consideration to a pump. Also, reportedly the Remington Versa Max tactical is direct copy of the Benelli M4, though I don't know whether or not that's true. The few that I know of that have shot them, say they're nice. So you might want to take a look at it as well.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote